Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

"Hit All Enemies" Spells' Animations

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 03, 2011
Since I started playing Wizard101 years ago, I've been puzzled about why spells that hit all enemies, only hit one at a time. As I now know more about game development, I assumed it had to do with how the game's combat was programmed and that this was just a limitation that had to be worked around.

With the release of the newest spells, this problem seems to have been dealt with, so I'm left with the question of "Will they change previous spells to hit all enemies at once?".

I don't think every spell should be changed, because some of them are fine as is. Other spells are rather lengthy which isn't a big deal initially. Humongofrog for example, is a cool spell to watch for a while after you get it, but when you've seen it hundreds of times it gets really boring having to wait for it to hit everyone.

I recognize that creating new animations is time-consuming and likely not a high priority, but I think this would be a change a lot of players would appreciate.

Thank you for taking time to read my post. Any kind of feedback would be appreciated!

Hero
May 07, 2015
i think they are fine as they are now

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Sorry, I don't think this is necessary at all.

Hero
May 07, 2015
RavenLady777 on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
Sorry, I don't think this is necessary at all.
are you agreeing with me?

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
actually op has a very valid point. for several reasons. 1. current spell format breaks continuity. take fire dragon, a dragon wouldn't rear back head and breath a gust at fire at individuals, rather he would spew forth blasting all enemies at once. 2. it would speed up time especially with long spells like ra, call of khrulhu ect.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
I desperately want to see them revise all the AOE spells and get them out of the one at a time cycle. Some of them are fairly short, but starting with RA, the animation team went overboard on tedious, overdone animations.

RA could walk out, plant his staff, and a light come blazing through it, hitting all four spots at the same time. Instead, we sit and watch him for almost a minute (if there are 4 enemies) as he plants his staff, and blasts the first one, then plants his staff and blasts the next.

And Cuthululu is much worse. I can get up and go make dinner, serve it, and wash the dishes before that animation is done running.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2014
I also agree with OP. I'd rather the spell just hit everyone and get on with the battle. Lulu for example? Hit one person, turn around, give health, turn around, hit, turn around, give health, until the spell is done. That's a lot of extra animation work as opposed to hit everyone, turn around, give health, done. Smaller spells like Meteor Strike are fine as far as time, but the longer running spells should be cut down a bit. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the effort they put into the animation of these spells, it just wasn't necessary.

Defender
Dec 31, 2014
I actually had this idea for Forest Lord a while back, the Forest Lord would come out and does his normal Forest Lord stuff growing trees and converting them to energy, the when the Forest Lord gets ready to fight, he doesn't punch the enemies one by one and jump back every time, but instead, I quickly punches all the enemies one by one but rotates in a circle doing so. I'm not sure if this idea could actually be effective at decreasing the Forest Lord's animation.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
is it NEEDED? No. Is it WANTED? YUP!!!

Survivor
Nov 20, 2015
I am afraid I must agree as well. Spells like Tempest especially. The Tempest isn't sentient, is it? No. It would hit all of them at once. And then the Sirens. Is that necessary? No. I'd really like to see some changes.

Angel Stormpyre, level 30 Magus Diviner

Explorer
Apr 25, 2010
With the new Balance Spell Nested Fury, this conversation has come up a bunch. I fully agree with you but it would be a big stress to the members of KingsIsle. For example, how do you plan on Fire Dragon, Storm Lord, or Forest Lord hitting the mobs at once? It would definitely take time re-editing.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014
GameGuyG on Dec 24, 2015 wrote:
Since I started playing Wizard101 years ago, I've been puzzled about why spells that hit all enemies, only hit one at a time. As I now know more about game development, I assumed it had to do with how the game's combat was programmed and that this was just a limitation that had to be worked around.

With the release of the newest spells, this problem seems to have been dealt with, so I'm left with the question of "Will they change previous spells to hit all enemies at once?".

I don't think every spell should be changed, because some of them are fine as is. Other spells are rather lengthy which isn't a big deal initially. Humongofrog for example, is a cool spell to watch for a while after you get it, but when you've seen it hundreds of times it gets really boring having to wait for it to hit everyone.

I recognize that creating new animations is time-consuming and likely not a high priority, but I think this would be a change a lot of players would appreciate.

Thank you for taking time to read my post. Any kind of feedback would be appreciated!
i like how it hits one enemy at a time i don't like it when they get hit all at once its not as cool so i hate if every all hit spell became just a one giant hit spell like when they took the rain out of tempest and the storm arena to me taking the rain was a mistake that needs to be fix just like this to me is a mistake

and i sure if you ask a lot of players if they like the rain back in storm i sure a lot of storm players would agree and others

Survivor
Jul 13, 2014
Timothy Lifesinger on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
With the new Balance Spell Nested Fury, this conversation has come up a bunch. I fully agree with you but it would be a big stress to the members of KingsIsle. For example, how do you plan on Fire Dragon, Storm Lord, or Forest Lord hitting the mobs at once? It would definitely take time re-editing.
I don't think anyone would be expecting immediate changes, but we are very much opposed to the spells staying as they are. They are just... too much.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
if they can do it for enemy spells (morganthe for example) they can do it for all of them. Sadly, this is one area, at least up until now, they really havent been listening to us. This is an EASY way to speed up the game all around, without any disadvantages. The decision time is still the same, the cast time is the same, the damage is the same. The ONLY thing different is the animation time. This, I, and many others, feel is a simply enough change that it could be done slowly, to a few spells at a time. perhaps every update they do one spell/school at a time. They should start with OUR spells because that one change will affect both monsters and players alike.

Defender
Feb 13, 2011
Faster animations would improve the game. No one likes animations longer than 5 seconds.