Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I get a pet with a "May Cast" ability?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
I keep seeing players with pets that cast spells on their own at the beginning of a turn, and I wanted to know how to get one. Do those abilities require hatching, do pets get them through training, or do I need to get farther than Stormriven Hall in Celestia? Also, I noticed that some players with such pets are lower level than me (I'm level 51).

Kane Deathmask

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Kane Deathmask on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
I keep seeing players with pets that cast spells on their own at the beginning of a turn, and I wanted to know how to get one. Do those abilities require hatching, do pets get them through training, or do I need to get farther than Stormriven Hall in Celestia? Also, I noticed that some players with such pets are lower level than me (I'm level 51).

Kane Deathmask
You need one of the following to get one

1. A pet capable of getting the talent by random on gen 1 (example most bundle or crown pets)
2. A friend or someone who has one to hatch with so you can hatch with one to hopefully get it on your new pet from the hatch.

Both require training as do all talents. It has NOTHING to do with levels

Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
Pets have a "gene pool", a set of 10 talents that they may exhibit when trained. Which talents from their gene pool they actually exhibit is random. You can find out the gene pool of any first generation pet by checking the wiki http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Category:First_Generation_Pets .

When two pets hatch together to produce a new pet egg, the gene pool of the egg includes talents from the gene pools of both parents. Smart, very patient players have used this fact to mix genes through many generations until they get hybrid pets with gene pools that are greatly superior to any first generation pet. The fastest way to get a really good pet is to hatch with one of these "super" pets created by an expert. There is a fan forum that is very helpful for this: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?102-Pet-Mixing-Meet-Ups .

Please keep in mind when arranging such a meetup that there is no practical way to repay these helpful folks for their efforts. You need to be gracious and patient with them.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011

Kane Deathmask
hi kane~

pet talents are totally random, and getting the ones you want takes a lot of hatching. if there's a specific talent you're looking for, try asking someone who has that talent if s/he will hatch with you.

(that doesn't guarantee you'll get it, though~ all talents are randomly assigned at birth, based on which ones are in their gene pool/inherited from both parents)

my low-level wizards have some pretty sweet pets... because i have 3 exalted wizards that i've have played longer and have done most of the work (lol). a lot of the time, when little wizards have the best pets/gear, etc., it's usually because the player has a higher-level character on the same account.

long before the days of fairies and mega pets, i got my first decent one pet (a starfish with sprite and proof) at around level 60~ he (along with his fishy brothers and sisters) has one of the best starter talent pools in-game, and i bought him at the vendor in celestia base camp. if you have some extra gold, buy one and level him to adult; then, you can start hatching with pets you like/whose talents you want.

pro tip: if a pet doesn't have the talents you want by the time s/he reaches adult, stop there and start over. continuing on will just set you up for disappointment.

-von
(and cookie, her now-retired pet starfish, who's been spoiled rotten over the years)

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
Some pets have a chance to learn May Cast abilities. You can see your pet's possible talents on the wiki page for that pet if the pet is first generation, meaning that it wasn't a result of a hatch between two pets.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013

Kane Deathmask
Some pets have may-cast talents in their pool. You're best bet is to look on one of the W101 Pet oriented websites or the Wiki site. You can search by pet or by talent. And FYI, the may-cast doesn't necessarily happen at the beginning of a turn... they are triggered by certain events I the battle. For instance a pet may cast a heal or shield spell after you or someone else in your team takes any damage. They may cast a blade or a trap after you've delivered a hit. Or they may (usually) do nothing.
If the talent you're looking for is in their gene pool it MIGHT manifest when you train the pet. There's no guarantee. As far as training goes you can, with a lot of patience and the right pets, develop a pet that has all of the talents you want through hatching... usually over, and over, and over, and over again.
Did I mention patience?
Anyway, take a look at the pets that would be of the most benefit to your school, get one (sometimes easier said than done), and start training.
Oh, and the players that are lower level than you but have outstanding pets... they might have trained that pet with a higher level wizard and then transferred it to their low level wizard through the shared bank.

Good luck.