Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Delayed X-spells

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I was thinking it would be great if we had a spell that would allow us to load an "X" type card with your existing pips but still allow us to hold it until we're ready to cast it? Maybe something like an Astral spell (let's call it "Power Load"), similar to Colossus or Infallible, that we could play on the X-card which would use up the existing pips in your hand to charge the spell.

Example:
You have 8 pips showing - you play the Power Load card on your Backdraft spell. This would lock the Backdraft at +120% and would use all of your pips but would allow you to keep the Backdraft in your hand until you're ready to play it. Now your free to build up pips for a DoT spell and after you cast it you can then cast the charged Backdraft on the next round and see the results of your +120% trap.
-or-
Use the 8 pips and Power Load on your Ice Armor card and now you have a -1000 absorb waiting to be cast whenever you're ready for it.
-or-
You could build up mega Judgement, or Heckhound or Tempest or even X-pip minions using a card like this.

Some will say this might be too overpowered but with the insane health of some of the creatures in the higher level areas I think this would come in extremely handy.

Your thoughts?

Survivor
Oct 12, 2009
So if i understand correctly...
If I were to use Judgement and use this spell, I would be able to keep my pips I have and not waste it as in entirety?
It sounds like a good idea, but in the long run is looks over powered. To rack up pips and eventually use Judgement and keep your pips, allowing you to continuously use Judgement over and over... It's a good idea, but once again it is really over powered. It can be a nice touch to utility spells like supercharge and backdraft, but not tempest and those spells. It can be rare though, like elucidate or simplify.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
1. Would unbalance PvP and so on

2. Too OP. In my opinion, it would be better if it locked the X-rank spell to cost the amount of pips you have when you lock it. That way, it wouldn't be too strong but it'd still be useful.

3. Colossus is the level 42 Ice spell.

4. Infallible is an Aura.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I think it would really only benefit Storm and Fire. Being able to build up pips again before casting it virtually eliminates the chances of their X blade/trap being countered because they don't have to leave it up for more than 1 round. It would be nice for certain battles, but it would allow too much ability to get around certain cheats for only those 2 schools. Sylster Glowstorm's traps/blades rounds for example would become nothing. It also would negate Mana Burn cheats. I don't really see much benefit for other school's X spells.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2014
Good idea! The higher mobs health is immense, and this will most certainly come in handy.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
lewski on Jul 21, 2015 wrote:
1. Would unbalance PvP and so on

2. Too OP. In my opinion, it would be better if it locked the X-rank spell to cost the amount of pips you have when you lock it. That way, it wouldn't be too strong but it'd still be useful.

3. Colossus is the level 42 Ice spell.

4. Infallible is an Aura.
I did mean that when you lock the spell it commits all of the pips you currently have - you don't have to cast the spell immediately but you revert to zero available pips.

And (3 & 4) sorry, I should have said Colossal and Extraordinary.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
LukeSky Walker on Jul 21, 2015 wrote:
So if i understand correctly...
If I were to use Judgement and use this spell, I would be able to keep my pips I have and not waste it as in entirety?
It sounds like a good idea, but in the long run is looks over powered. To rack up pips and eventually use Judgement and keep your pips, allowing you to continuously use Judgement over and over... It's a good idea, but once again it is really over powered. It can be a nice touch to utility spells like supercharge and backdraft, but not tempest and those spells. It can be rare though, like elucidate or simplify.
No, once you commit to locking the spell it uses all of the pips in your hand. Your Judgement would be locked in at whatever number of pips you had at the time you locked it. The Judgement is now in your hand to cast whenever you want but your pips start over again at zero.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
TucsonWizard on Jul 22, 2015 wrote:
I did mean that when you lock the spell it commits all of the pips you currently have - you don't have to cast the spell immediately but you revert to zero available pips.

And (3 & 4) sorry, I should have said Colossal and Extraordinary.
I understood what you meant, and I think losing pips when everyone is still picking their spells would be a bit odd.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
lewski on Jul 23, 2015 wrote:
I understood what you meant, and I think losing pips when everyone is still picking their spells would be a bit odd.
You're really not losing them, you're reserving them. They're sitting there in that locked spell ready to be cast when the correct time arises (after you've bladed, trapped, buffed etc.) which means when you do cast it you won't use any additional pips.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
TucsonWizard on Jul 21, 2015 wrote:
I was thinking it would be great if we had a spell that would allow us to load an "X" type card with your existing pips but still allow us to hold it until we're ready to cast it? Maybe something like an Astral spell (let's call it "Power Load"), similar to Colossus or Infallible, that we could play on the X-card which would use up the existing pips in your hand to charge the spell.

Example:
You have 8 pips showing - you play the Power Load card on your Backdraft spell. This would lock the Backdraft at +120% and would use all of your pips but would allow you to keep the Backdraft in your hand until you're ready to play it. Now your free to build up pips for a DoT spell and after you cast it you can then cast the charged Backdraft on the next round and see the results of your +120% trap.
-or-
Use the 8 pips and Power Load on your Ice Armor card and now you have a -1000 absorb waiting to be cast whenever you're ready for it.
-or-
You could build up mega Judgement, or Heckhound or Tempest or even X-pip minions using a card like this.

Some will say this might be too overpowered but with the insane health of some of the creatures in the higher level areas I think this would come in extremely handy.

Your thoughts?
It's intriguing. As a fire wizard, I'd love it.

I'd like to see it in Test, just to see what unforseen problems it could present. Sounds great for Fire, Balance, Storm, even Life. Maybe not so great for everyone else?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
TucsonWizard on Jul 23, 2015 wrote:
You're really not losing them, you're reserving them. They're sitting there in that locked spell ready to be cast when the correct time arises (after you've bladed, trapped, buffed etc.) which means when you do cast it you won't use any additional pips.
It would in effect become a 0 pip spell with a set amount of damage/boost after choosing to create it. What happens if you fizzle? What happens if you reshuffle? This would require some serious programming changes to prevent it being extremely more overpowered than it appears on it's surface. I think it opens up too many issues.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
seethe42 on Jul 23, 2015 wrote:
It would in effect become a 0 pip spell with a set amount of damage/boost after choosing to create it. What happens if you fizzle? What happens if you reshuffle? This would require some serious programming changes to prevent it being extremely more overpowered than it appears on it's surface. I think it opens up too many issues.
Correct, it would be a zero-pip cast at that point. Good question regarding fizzle and re-shuffle and I'll be honest, I hadn't considered these issues. I guess I just figured they would be treated the same as any other spell that had been modified with a Sun card. They would be retained in the "fizzled" pool with a potential for them to re-appear either normally or through the re-shuffle. But since you'd already committed the pips to them they'd retain the applied effects until either they're successfully cast or until the battle is over, at which point they would revert to normal. Just like what would happen to any other spell that had been modified with a (learned) Sun card. Which brings up another point... I don't think something like this should ever be in TC form. That would indeed be too overpowered.

Defender
Jan 27, 2012
A spell like this would have to be banned from pvp.
Storm, Fire, and Balance wizards would be able to completely destroy people in pvp with a maxed out Judgement, Tempest, or Heckhound at their disposal whenever they wanted.
The only way to defend this would be to waste pips on an ice armor or have crazy resist along with a good shield.

High health on mops these days isnt much of a problem. Once you're level 100, you have earned enough training points to greatly improve your spellbook to be able to do just about anything (at least I did.)

My myth has tower, feint, satyr, colossal, 5 star spells, stun block, and all the Azteca sun spells. This is more than enough to make short work of all mops in the game.

Until every boss has health like Shadow Malistaire, this idea should stay as it is.... an idea.

Survivor
Aug 04, 2012
So, I get what your saying and I like the idea. Just one question, would you be able to cast sun enchantments on the card like gargantuan and collassal?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
TucsonWizard on Jul 23, 2015 wrote:
Correct, it would be a zero-pip cast at that point. Good question regarding fizzle and re-shuffle and I'll be honest, I hadn't considered these issues. I guess I just figured they would be treated the same as any other spell that had been modified with a Sun card. They would be retained in the "fizzled" pool with a potential for them to re-appear either normally or through the re-shuffle. But since you'd already committed the pips to them they'd retain the applied effects until either they're successfully cast or until the battle is over, at which point they would revert to normal. Just like what would happen to any other spell that had been modified with a (learned) Sun card. Which brings up another point... I don't think something like this should ever be in TC form. That would indeed be too overpowered.
The problem with treating them like any sun modified card for a reshuffle is that you're giving away free pips. Let's say I reshuffle after I've used it for a +140% Supercharge. It's now a 0 pip +140% blade that originally cost 14 pips. When it's reshuffled you'd be giving the wizard a free 14 pips in effect.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
seethe42 on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
The problem with treating them like any sun modified card for a reshuffle is that you're giving away free pips. Let's say I reshuffle after I've used it for a +140% Supercharge. It's now a 0 pip +140% blade that originally cost 14 pips. When it's reshuffled you'd be giving the wizard a free 14 pips in effect.
Not really because when you "charge" the card the pips go to the card. They're gone, commited to the Supercharge, and when you make that commitment your pips revert to zero. So if you fizzle and reshuffle and the card reappears you're not really getting anything free. In essence you're re-gaining the pips you commited. You can only lose the pips if you don't cast the spell. You can never gain any extras. And once you cast the spell it can never reappear in you hand as a "charged" card after a reshuffle because those pips have been used.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Not really; you paid the fourteen pips to create the card. Whether you use it now or in three rounds or fizz or no fizz, you still already paid the pips.

I think there are probably issues that would arise, and this would truly OP the players - and if we can use it so could bosses - at which point, they'd be OP, too...

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
NVM my last reply. I read "fizz", you said reshuffle. This should definitely be eliminated from the pool when reshuffled. Once it has been used, it would again become the unenchanted spell card and the individual enchant.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
PaigeGoldenspear on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
Not really; you paid the fourteen pips to create the card. Whether you use it now or in three rounds or fizz or no fizz, you still already paid the pips.

I think there are probably issues that would arise, and this would truly OP the players - and if we can use it so could bosses - at which point, they'd be OP, too...
You're probably right, it would be too OP even though it would be a time consuming process to set up. But I'm wondering, do bosses use Sun spells? Or Backdraft? I know they use Ice Armor but I think that's the only X type spell I've ever seen a boss use.

Mastermind
Mar 13, 2010
Fire Minions in Malistaire use backdraft, so I wouldn't be surprised if future bosses use Sun Spells if the current ones don't.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
TucsonWizard on Jul 24, 2015 wrote:
You're probably right, it would be too OP even though it would be a time consuming process to set up. But I'm wondering, do bosses use Sun spells? Or Backdraft? I know they use Ice Armor but I think that's the only X type spell I've ever seen a boss use.
They use Supercharge and Backdraft in higher level dungeons.