Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What was it like for very old players. Part 3.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
so in this post I am asking some very old players wat it was like questing before advanced pets were introduced. I was reading the update notes and advanced pets were introduced long after Dragonspyre was released and just before celestia so all and all was was it like having to go through the first 5 worlds without stat boosts or a lucky heal from a pet. Thank you for any and all answers.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
Honestly, I don't think anyone thought about pets having stats other than the level 48 pet with a card and a 5% power pip chance. That was the best pet anyone could ever have. We just quested with level 50 gear, no mount, and our level 48 pet, except if you were under level 50 of course. Anybody under that would just buy gear from the bazaar, get a pet from a boss (one that came with a card or two), and just quested. There was seriously nothing that special. I do remember when the advanced pet system came out, no one knew what they were doing and I remember trying to hatch my ice colossus with my friend's hydra, and I was SO dissappointed when a second ice colossus came out. Also, before the update, when you received a pet, there was no egg and no wait time. If you got a pet, you got a pet. No eggs, no hatching time, there wasn't even a page for it in the spellbook. You could even sell pets at the bazaar (I made a fortune). I know I'm rambling now, but questing back then wasn't super hard without pet talents and nobody thought about it.

Mastermind
Apr 13, 2011
Thanks for the response

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
when i joined, pets were an afterthought~ i liked my level 48 (judge) and 58 (hydra), just because they were cute. i only got my first pet with sprite around the time i hit level 60, but i wasn't as obsessed with having a perfect pet (as everyone seems to be these days).

even though it may have been before my time, i swear i remember seeing pets in the bazaar at one time... and they were replaced with trophies, which were replaced with scrolls.

-von

Explorer
Feb 26, 2009
the awesome pyroma... on Jul 12, 2015 wrote:
so in this post I am asking some very old players wat it was like questing before advanced pets were introduced. I was reading the update notes and advanced pets were introduced long after Dragonspyre was released and just before celestia so all and all was was it like having to go through the first 5 worlds without stat boosts or a lucky heal from a pet. Thank you for any and all answers.
I remember playing before pets came out and it seemed to make everyone "even" instead of ppl having op pets and your stuck with a horrible one xD

Survivor
Dec 16, 2010
Dr Von on Jul 14, 2015 wrote:
when i joined, pets were an afterthought~ i liked my level 48 (judge) and 58 (hydra), just because they were cute. i only got my first pet with sprite around the time i hit level 60, but i wasn't as obsessed with having a perfect pet (as everyone seems to be these days).

even though it may have been before my time, i swear i remember seeing pets in the bazaar at one time... and they were replaced with trophies, which were replaced with scrolls.

-von
Um hydra pet is 48 and judge is 58 o.o

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AstroLeague on Jul 14, 2015 wrote:
Um hydra pet is 48 and judge is 58 o.o
yep, you got me. but i'd like to see you do better after a 16-hour shift with no sleep~ on days like these, i'm lucky that my posts are even semi-coherent.

@oscaleb, i disagree.

i have been a member of this community for many years, and i have seen it through many different updates. when i joined, there was no waterworks~ no shadow magic, no healing pets, no overfarming for ridiculously-hard-to-get gear... there are different stages of the game, and anyone who has been around to witness the various changes that have happened over the years is a veteran player.

-von

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
It was completely wonderful.
I remember my first wizard, a Death Wizard who i sadly abandoned. But is still on my account! (nostalgia reasons)
I remember going straight into the world of Wizard, battling through Unicorn way. Into the streets of Triton. I finally got a sub and managed to beat Wizard City and get into Krokotopia!

Actually, one funny thing may i say.
Back when i joined, Dragonspyre just came out. And because no one without a good team could get past the powerful Onis at the end of Mooshu. Dragonspyre was quite empty!
This is certainly the best game i've ever played. Simply because i'm seeing it through my tinted nostalgia glasses.
Adios.

Oh, one more thing.
Jade Oni used to have all the Onis with him when you faced him. And they all had their original health. The battle was EXTREMELY tough! (they removed it in Zafaria or Celestia?)
And Malistaire. Fighting him was the most exciting thing i've ever done in my life. 5 hours of just hitting him over and over.

I wish you all experienced Dragonspyre days, those were the best.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2009
Oops, i was silly and forgot to actually read what the post said. Serves me right!
I for one wasn't really bothered by the edition of advanced pets. I still collected pets as just cosmetic items and they were fine that way. No one really took the time to level a pet up to epic as most people were busy questing in Celestia at the time.

Even so, pets were a big thing in PVP. Obviously, PVP was flooded with Epic pets!

Pets weren't worth it until Zafaria anyway.

Survivor
Jun 03, 2012
Theforsakenwizard on Jul 25, 2015 wrote:
It was completely wonderful.
I remember my first wizard, a Death Wizard who i sadly abandoned. But is still on my account! (nostalgia reasons)
I remember going straight into the world of Wizard, battling through Unicorn way. Into the streets of Triton. I finally got a sub and managed to beat Wizard City and get into Krokotopia!

Actually, one funny thing may i say.
Back when i joined, Dragonspyre just came out. And because no one without a good team could get past the powerful Onis at the end of Mooshu. Dragonspyre was quite empty!
This is certainly the best game i've ever played. Simply because i'm seeing it through my tinted nostalgia glasses.
Adios.

Oh, one more thing.
Jade Oni used to have all the Onis with him when you faced him. And they all had their original health. The battle was EXTREMELY tough! (they removed it in Zafaria or Celestia?)
And Malistaire. Fighting him was the most exciting thing i've ever done in my life. 5 hours of just hitting him over and over.

I wish you all experienced Dragonspyre days, those were the best.
I experienced the Dragonspyre days, No annoying mega pets with fairy, triple damage, and resist. No insane broken critical and broken block. I have a max storm and a almost max death and I still don't have a fairy pet. I just don't need an insane pet. One with double damage and sprite is fine by me, honestly I hated when they added advanced pets. Before it was: Storm's need to have the storm cat or they're not cool. Now its: Everyone needs to have a fairy pet or they will lose in PVP.

The Oni fight, oh my gosh that fight held the best memories for me and my friends. They all quit now, but I remember fighting that boss over and over. We just thought it was fun, and everyone thought myth was such an insane school because of Minotaur, and later on Orthrus. Now its: You need a storm or Darkmoor will take 3 more hours. No one needs a myth anymore to be honest. Malistaire was amazing, 100,000 health. People complained yes. I didn't care though, I did the battle easy. We had a life spammer that Rebirth, and a myth using Orthrus and Fire showing off Fire Dragon. It was the best times in this game in my opinion. If Advanced Pets weren't added then I'd would love this game 75% more than I already do. Same thing goes for Pirate101, that game was RUINED with advanced pets joining in. Giving everyone Cheap shot and jazz from their pet like honestly.

-Savannah DuskShard98
-Savannah ThunderShard100 (The Dragonspyre and Mooshu Legacy Holder.) -Savannah FireShard34

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
"Vey old players". I guess that quote is a matter of perspective. Despite me being a very enthusiastic pet aficionado, I liked it better the old way. As so many have posted before, the Spiral has lost some its magic and innocence, since its inception, and the pet transformation was certainly part of that process. I am not begrudging the change though, as I realize things such as these are a necessary evil for mmorpg's to remain competitive. Still, I often reflect back to the "good ol' days" when The Spiral was new and vibrant, and the exuberance of being accepted into the Wizard101 Academy was reflected by the magic on their face, and the sparkle in their eye, of every young wizard.

P.S. On a side note, it may interest you to know that "back in my day" we used to walk ten miles through the snow barefoot, just to play Wizard on dinosaur computers that had OS's such as Windows ME! Shocking isn't it? Happy Spiraling!

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Before the advanced pet update, Life wizards were in very high demand. As soon as I logged on I would be spammed with 'help i am about to die' messages. Most of the pets were nothing more than eye candy. There were a few that came with a card.

I joined after DS but before the bazaar. There was no stitching. Whatever the gear looked like when you got it was what you were stuck with. I remember looking like a bag lady while questing through MB.

Delver
Aug 31, 2012
Back when I started, pets weren't important and even I had limited knowledge about them. Nowadays 90% of exalted wizards have OP mega/ultra pets. You always see a storm with a spark beast with mostly damage talents. Ever since the ultra pet update, people have been getting school specific damage star jewels or card jewels to their already OP mega/ultra pet. When it comes to low level PvP, the one with their so called "perfect pet" beats someone who has no interest in pet training. It's unfortunate how having an amazing pet or not can make a huge difference in stats and battle.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2008
It was amazing back then. Much harder and rewarding.

Explorer
May 02, 2011
Were none of you here for Briskbreeze? That was the thang

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
Let's see getting Malistare (dragonspye) gear was the thing you aimed for and tended to be just as much of a pain in the side as Malistare (darkmoor) gear is to get now. I remember the special crafting station in dragonspyre right outside his dungeon and I'm still not entirely sure what it was for. I remember having to solo that thing the first time, don't even know how I managed. (it involved a lot of wall crawling for certain)

Pets were useless though some came with cards, I remember switching between a dragon with a dragonblade and a wildclaw with fairy . Pet training is the most awful thing to me because it takes so long and getting not bad talents is so hard. orz

The first "cheating" pets were the dog that cast spritely shortly followed by the sea dragon and jellyfish(also spritely) from Celestia. I had one but accidentally deleted it (rest in pixelated peace Baxter)

Also gardening became a thing, was always pretty neutral about it, still pretty neutral about it.

Black lotus and black pearls and scrap iron were the three hardest to find reagents in the game. It has turned into sunstone amber and agave leaves.(and anything involving vines)

Crafting suddenly seemed more important after Celestia at least to me.

Housing gauntlets became a thing, dueling circles in your house became a thing, cool secret rooms that were horrible at actually being secret became a thing. Building your own house has become a thing (which needs refinement) The daily wooden chest full of gold and reagents in your house which is kinda nice is also a thing.

I could go on for eons, so many things have changed I feel old now...

Explorer
Nov 30, 2012
I got my first healing/spell casting good pet at level 70. All my before pets just gave me like 2% power pip chance.