Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions about pets(Pet Experts Needed!)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 18, 2010
Hi, I have a few questions, as the title says.

1.How do you know if you have a good pet?
I hear that having good pet stats overall(strength, power, will, etc)means you have a good pet. My dream pet: Damage, critical, resistance, and/or fairy.

2. Is there a way you can train your pet to get these talents?(Fairy, resistance, damage)
Sure, the stats(strength, for example) say that they can give damage and other things. Is this true? If you know your pet is capable of having this talent, is there a specific pet skill you train in?

3. Does pedigree have some importance?
So does a good pedigree mean you have good pet talents? Or does it just mean something for the pet's stats?

4. Talents: What does a pet's stats have to do with them?
Online, I see talents such as Fairy(Strength + Will + Power = 200) < For Example. What does this even mean? If someone could explain what it means, and what those stats have to do with getting a talent, that'd be awesome.

5. Should I just feed my pet random snacks and train it in any area?
Again with the stat thing, but this question is just for clarification. I hear the pet talents are random, so whatever you feed or train your pet, that doesn't change what talent you'll get next. I also hear that the pet's talents are determined once they're an egg, is this true?

6. What do some people mean when you can train your pet in specific stats that it can "change the outcome"?
I heard this from a friend, but I wasn't sure what he meant. Can someone, if anyone, clarify?

I have more to come, just can't think of more right now. :P Thanks for checking this out and answering/trying to answer my questions!

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Pets are born with a set of talents and attributes (stats). Nothing you do in training can change that. Everything about your pet is set at hatch. Attributes can be boosted by "selfish" talents, but only on the pet that has them, the base value stays the same.

Pedigree doesn't matter.

Stats don't affect what talents you get, but determine the strength of talents that boost wizard stats. They do not affect card or may-cast talents. So snacks and games don't influence what talents your pet will learn, just how fast you get it trained.

You get desired talents & stats by hatching with pets that have them. Good pets are developed over generations.

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
lMysticl on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:

I hear that having good pet stats overall(strength, power, will, etc)means you have a good pet. My dream pet: Damage, critical, resistance, and/or fairy.

2. Is there a way you can train your pet to get these talents?(Fairy, resistance, damage)
Sure, the stats(strength, for example) say that they can give damage and other things. Is this true? If you know your pet is capable of having this talent, is there a specific pet skill you train in?

So does a good pedigree mean you have good pet talents? Or does it just mean something for the pet's stats?

Online, I see talents such as Fairy(Strength + Will + Power = 200) < For Example. What does this even mean? If someone could explain what it means, and what those stats have to do with getting a talent, that'd be awesome.

Again with the stat thing, but this question is just for clarification. I hear the pet talents are random, so whatever you feed or train your pet, that doesn't change what talent you'll get next. I also hear that the pet's talents are determined once they're an egg, is this true?

6. What do some people mean when you can train your pet in specific stats that it can "change the outcome"?
I heard this from a friend, but I wasn't sure what he meant. Can someone, if anyone, clarify?

I have more to come, just can't think of more right now. :P Thanks for checking this out and answering/trying to answer my questions!
1. A pet with a combination of talents that suits your playstyle is a good pet.

2. The talents are set when the pet hatches. Nothing can influence them. The stats affect the power of talents that give those things.

3. A high pedigree means that you have lots of high ranked talents on your pet. The pedigree is just the sum total of your pet's talents' ranks.

4. The stats improve all talents except selfish, card giving, may cast and derby talents. The kinds of talents each stat improves are listed when you mouse over the stat.

5. Feed your pet the highest ranked snacks you have, if you're training your pet for you to use in battle, try to find high level reagents that boost Strength, Agility, Will and Power, as they improve those talents. Play the game you enjoy the most if you want to have fun, or the fastest game (dance game) if you want to progress quickly.

6. You can't change the pet's talents in any way.

Champion
Jan 25, 2015
I got my satyr pet yesterday and it got a selfish talent at adult, It has spritely which I really wanted but ya know it's just the way it works

Survivor
Jan 01, 2015
where can i get a good pet that some times heals you like spritely or better ?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
labella1962 on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
Every level 58 school quest pet has a chance at spritely. For 10,000 gold you can buy a pet starfish in Celestia from the pet/deck vendor, it has the chance at spritely and spell proof (+1-10% resist all).

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
seethe42 on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
Every level 58 school quest pet has a chance at spritely. For 10,000 gold you can buy a pet starfish in Celestia from the pet/deck vendor, it has the chance at spritely and spell proof (+1-10% resist all).
There's also the Sea Dragon, bought with Crowns or dropped from The Trial of the Spheres.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
labella1962 on Apr 9, 2015 wrote:
After completing a quest in Celestia (sorry, don't remember the quest name) you'll get a free Jellyfish pet that has a chance to get Spritely.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
lMysticl on Apr 5, 2015 wrote:

1) what constitutes a good pet depends on your play-style. but, generally speaking, pets with tangible stat talents (resist, damage, may cast healing spells) are considered by the majority to be 'good'.

2) lots of hatching. pet talents are chosen at the moment the pet is created, based on what talents the parents had. no snack or stat will change that.

3) not necessarily. from what i have read online, pets with higher pedigrees are often those who give cards.

4) absolutely nothing; all talents are random, although 'perfect' pets are generally considered to be those with all stats at 250 (max).

5) yes.
your pet's talents are predetermined and nothing will change that. you can, however, feed it snacks it likes for a slight boost to xp gain.

6) you can't. your friend is either lying to you or simply misinformed.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2014
Well, your pet is a good one depending on how you train it. If you lay the mini-games in Pet Pavilion you can strengthen your pet and increase its speed in the pet derby ~Karaoke