Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Defeating a warlord?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 19, 2014
I have played pvp in recent times and continue to see myself lose. Every time I get a match I feel like I am being paired with a warlord or commander. I try my best to go to the bazaar and buy the best gear that gold can buy and have even bought crown gear and pets, but nothing seems to work against the op wizards called warlords. I am a level 61 wizard and feel like I am doomed to stay a private forever. Can someone help me understand what I might be doing wrong?

I try to keep my gear balanced, meaning I try to keep a balance between block/damage percentage as well as critical and block, I don't go to a defensive extreme or an offensive extreme.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
At Level 61, here's what I'd recommend for a Life player.
  • Make sure you have earned your Waterworks hat, robe, and boots. That's your best option.
  • Craft the healing athame and ring from Celestia.
  • Use a wand that gives you a good amount of critical block.
  • Train a pet that has Spell Proof, Spell Defying, may cast fairy or may cast healing current. Additionally, Life Minotaur and Brown Spider are good choices due to the cards they give.
  • If you have a Fire, Balance, or Myth Mastery Amulet, equip it. Fire can help you in two ways. First, Meteor and Scald are really good for defeating minions. Second, you can heal, remove Tower Shields, remove Weaknesses and Infections if you cast DoT treasure card spells like Link, Power Link, Fire Elf, and Fire Elemental (minion). Balance can help you heal when opponents put Entangle on you, and Sandstorm is a good minion-defeating hit. Myth lets you use Earthquake or Aftershock help you weaken opponents' hits when they try to buff up, and Shatter if they try to shield spam. Humongofrog is a good minion defeating hit.
  • Mind where you have spend your training points. Make sure you're using Gargantuan to enchant your hits. You might want to train Conviction and Infallible.
  • Remember that Life specializes in single impact hits, so charging up one superpowered hit will usually not help you. Your opponent will simply shield and put weakness on you and your hit will be wasted.
  • Set up Life combo hits. Use Infallible, cast a Brown Spider treasure card, and then throw a few Gargantuan Seraphs/Nature's Wraths/Leprechauns out.
  • Use your minion. It forces your opponent to hit before they're ready, and your minion might give you some bonus heals on top of that.
  • Try not to panic when you get in health trouble. Use your smaller heals (ie not Rebirth, not Regenerate), and have some backup heals that you have enchanted with Primordial treasure cards. Your heal boost from the ring and athame should make these very strong.

Defender
Jun 13, 2009
Juligoldy on Feb 2, 2015 wrote:
I have played pvp in recent times and continue to see myself lose. Every time I get a match I feel like I am being paired with a warlord or commander. I try my best to go to the bazaar and buy the best gear that gold can buy and have even bought crown gear and pets, but nothing seems to work against the op wizards called warlords. I am a level 61 wizard and feel like I am doomed to stay a private forever. Can someone help me understand what I might be doing wrong?

I try to keep my gear balanced, meaning I try to keep a balance between block/damage percentage as well as critical and block, I don't go to a defensive extreme or an offensive extreme.
You do know that PvP is not all about gear right? You need strategy if you want to win. And by strategy I mean having a plan to take down your opponent and not just go with the flow of battle, gear can only take you so far. What you want to do when you enter a ranked or practice match is determine what school your opponent is, you should try to analyze their resistances, attack, critical rating, block rating, etc. but how do you do that? You may be asking, well heres the thing if your opponent doesnt talk there is no way to know for sure what there stats are so you have to predict whether or not they have certain stats based on the following things; how much they resist your attacks, how much damage they do to you, how much they block your critical, or they critical spells. If you can analyze and predict these things about your opponent you can make a strategy to defeat them. For example a player with high resist, so like in the 60% to the 90% range is taking all your attacks, you need to use spells that pierce through resist to beat them, use infallible. If someone has high critical use conviction so they can't hurt you as bad. There are so many different strategies that I cannot name them all however I recommend you go on the duelist101 website for different strategies for life. Its really effective.

Mason Greenbane
Victoria Storm

Survivor
Oct 15, 2014
Warlords are not OP at all.

And the gear at the bazaar I wouldn't get.
Farm waterworks get waterworks gear or you can craft a gear I think it in Avalon but I'm not sure.