Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Anti-pet spell

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
This idea would be for PvP only...
I'd like to suggest a spell that would completely nullify any pet bonuses/abilities for four rounds. I'll throw a name out there just for the heck of it... Stasis Leash. The penalty imposed would be ALL benefits that the pet would normally provide would be completely nullified during the duration of the spell, as if the pet were not even equipped. No heals, no blades, no traps, no charms, no spell cards and no latent boosts to defense or offense. This would have to be a fairly costly spell to cast, 6 pips at least, and should also be an astral school type spell so it would cost everyone the same amount of pips to cast.
I don't do a lot of PvP so to be honest I don't even know for sure if something like this would be useful but I imagined it would be. Please feel free to tell me if I'm full of hot air on this one.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Not really a fair spell. It's just a duck out for players who don't take time to train pets to remove the effort others have put into them. If you were going to do it, it should be a bubble affecting all pets on both sides.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Dispel for pets. Not a bad idea. I do a lot of hatching and gardening to support my hatching, but i wouldn't be against this. I like the global idea too.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
How about NO. Pets are fair. Everyone has the same chance to get and use them, and the same odds of them casting. I'm tired of things that hurt players who have bothered to make good pets, and help the ones who don't bother. The healing nerf was bad enough.

Survivor
Jan 14, 2009
six pips for something that lasts four rounds doesn't seem like the kind of thing someone would normally use

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
This area is still fresh ground, KI hasn't done anything with this before. Maybe they should. I like the bubble idea seethe42 suggested.

Two questions though. Eliminating everything pet-related is a far-sweeping move. Would it be wise to break it up into separate spells for pet management?
  • One spell could eliminate or reduce pet casts (ie with a lower cast rate or lower pet accuracy like a pet-specific black mantle), and another one could reduce or nullify pet stats.
  • These spells could even be specific to pet heals, but leave other talents alone.
  • And, on the other side, there could be a spell that increase pet casts, which could make the frowned-upon "may cast" talents practical for a change.
  • However, imo, no spell should increase pet stats.

And the second question. How hard should these spells be to obtain? For example, do you have to have a mega pet equipped to train them?

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Cue player rage in ...3...2...1...

This must never happen. Trust me. It won't go well.

Delver
Jun 17, 2012
A creative idea, but judging from the comments, it's very inflammatory and controversial.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
seethe42 on Jan 30, 2015 wrote:
Not really a fair spell. It's just a duck out for players who don't take time to train pets to remove the effort others have put into them. If you were going to do it, it should be a bubble affecting all pets on both sides.
How about this

yes to the global idea

to get the spell you have to be a warlord and it will cost 1 training point

the spell affect everyone on both sides as long as it up pet can't cast anything

it will cost 5 pips

look like
well it will put a little cartoon fence around the battle fled with like cake and pet snacks falling from the sky and last of ala have little picket that have dancing cross off and the pets would all have little stars over there heads till it remove also there be green grass around the battle fled

I like to add that it will decrees everybody power by half so here how it would be

100 power would now be 50 power
90 power would now be 49 power
80 power would now be 40 power
70 power would now be 39 power
60 power would now be 30 power
50 power would now be 30 power
40 power would now be 20 power
30 power would now be 20 power
20 power would now be 10 power
10 power would now be 5 power

and it will incress heal by 10%

Explorer
Jan 28, 2009
Back in the day was a spell called dampen magic limited players to no more than 4 pip spells and not aquire more than four while effect was in place. sounds similar to this idea for pets. people complained and balance lost a spell.

Also no need for this there are Classic matches which do not allow pets.
Now if they only remove summoning a minion in classic and 1v1 that would be an improvement.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Judging by the negative reactions I'd say this is probably what pvp needs to shake it up.

My adversaries have options to lower my damage output, reduce my accuracy, prevent me from casting spells, reduce my defense, reduce my healing ability. There is a lot a wizard can take away from my abilities already. Why not this?

If someone casts a minion, your first instinct is to get it out of there asap. A pet is just a minion that cant die and helps you more. If I were really a wizard (and lets be real we all wish we were) and you had some little creature helping you I'd try to take it out, I'd venture to guess you would too.

You are not full of hot air TuscanWizard

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Mr Talon on Feb 3, 2015 wrote:
Judging by the negative reactions I'd say this is probably what pvp needs to shake it up.

My adversaries have options to lower my damage output, reduce my accuracy, prevent me from casting spells, reduce my defense, reduce my healing ability. There is a lot a wizard can take away from my abilities already. Why not this?

If someone casts a minion, your first instinct is to get it out of there asap. A pet is just a minion that cant die and helps you more. If I were really a wizard (and lets be real we all wish we were) and you had some little creature helping you I'd try to take it out, I'd venture to guess you would too.

You are not full of hot air TuscanWizard
Thanks Mr. Talon. I appreciate the comment and you pretty much summed up the reasons I suggested this in the first place. The game is filled with spells and items that increase/decrease damage, healing etc. and this would simply be an additional strategy. I look at it like this: say you've bladed and trapped and you're just about ready for the coup de gras when boom, your opponent casts a dispel. Depending upon the casting order, if he's timed it correctly you're out those pips and could basically be dead in the water for a few rounds. Something like that is what I was going for with this suggestion. Suddenly the boosts and defenses you always count on are gone for 4 rounds.
Anyway, I seem to have done what I do best on this forum (although not necessarily intentionally) which is to spark some debate and make people mad at me. At least there weren't any "if this happens I'll quit and never play this game again" threats.