Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Cheating Monsters

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
I suppose I should define my terms. What I really mean is monsters with "unusual" powers that players don't get. Chester Droors would be an example. But some of the Barkingham palace monsters seem like they would also apply (e.g., when they take two actions in a single turn).

I don't remember this from the older areas I've played... it seems more a "feature" of the newer areas. Is that correct? Is this a trend?

To put it mildly, I really, really dislike that design. It encourages players to research quests obsessively on the web, which takes a lot of the fun away from the game, IMO. It lacks the charm of the original game.

I'd like to know what to expect, though. If that's the trend, I will likely unsubscribe and go my way.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Medicio on Jan 17, 2015 wrote:
I suppose I should define my terms. What I really mean is monsters with "unusual" powers that players don't get. Chester Droors would be an example. But some of the Barkingham palace monsters seem like they would also apply (e.g., when they take two actions in a single turn).

I don't remember this from the older areas I've played... it seems more a "feature" of the newer areas. Is that correct? Is this a trend?

To put it mildly, I really, really dislike that design. It encourages players to research quests obsessively on the web, which takes a lot of the fun away from the game, IMO. It lacks the charm of the original game.

I'd like to know what to expect, though. If that's the trend, I will likely unsubscribe and go my way.
Oh yes, it's a trend in all worlds starting with Celestia and continuing on. I do research them ... it's the only way to beat them.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2012
I can see, I had a EXTREMELY hard time on Chester Droors since I didn't use traps, I finally killed him with a skeleton pirate.

The "Cheating" Abilities for some monsters make you change your tactics, For example, Zeus Sky Father Quotes "You hesitate too much!" And uses a 0 pip minotaur after you use a 6 or higher pip spell.

Anyway, the "I really, really dislike that design. It encourages players to research quests obsessively on the web, which takes a lot of the fun away from the game,IMO." Part really hit me. I get that feeling to ,so I had fun killing chester droors ( For revenge.)

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
its probably only for these dungeons since theyre supposed to be challenges

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009

This is a trend that started with the addition of Briskbreeze Tower to the game, and has been going strong ever since. I hate to say it, but its only going to get much worse as far as the cheats go. In upper level worlds, such as Azteca and Zafaria, you will be required to pass through cheating dungeons and bosses in order to progress in the storyline. They are not side content.

There are cheat dungeons that ARE side content, but that is where the best gear is dropped. That is the gear that will make your questing journey through the Spiral a much less stressful experience, if you are one of the lucky ones able to obtain it.

I have been here a long time, and am still in love with this game, but this change in game philosophy from the family friendly game of 2008-2010 has caused me to stop questing. I now just get online to visit with friends, decorate houses, and do events.

Only you can decide if this will be the game for you. Good luck in your journey through the Spiral as far as it takes you. :)

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010

I really don't see how Chester Droors cheat isn't very obvious.
1. You do get the "Watchout Wizard, Pigswick folk are cheaters" which should make you VERY suspicious on dialogue (a good rule of thumb, sometimes dialogue can give a hint of what there cheat is beaten by"

Using that we move onto 2. He says "Your next lesson, TRAPS!"
While you should be using traps either way (to boost your damage) some wizards don't seem to take in the fact he gives you a hint.

And if I remember reading Dworgyn's aka Friendly's blog right, Jabberwock's cheat is told in the dialogue (Dworgyn if your reading this can you back me up on this?)

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
Rachel Dreamsong on Jan 19, 2015 wrote:
I really don't see how Chester Droors cheat isn't very obvious.
1. You do get the "Watchout Wizard, Pigswick folk are cheaters" which should make you VERY suspicious on dialogue (a good rule of thumb, sometimes dialogue can give a hint of what there cheat is beaten by"

Using that we move onto 2. He says "Your next lesson, TRAPS!"
While you should be using traps either way (to boost your damage) some wizards don't seem to take in the fact he gives you a hint.

And if I remember reading Dworgyn's aka Friendly's blog right, Jabberwock's cheat is told in the dialogue (Dworgyn if your reading this can you back me up on this?)
You are correct about the Jabberwock - "Strike after he breathes his fire" meaning hit him on the rounds he starts with his cheat attack. (3, 6, 9...)

Generally there are warnings and hints about cheating bosses. They are some tricky ones throughout the game, but not that many. Just watch what they do and be prepared to change your tactics if you need to.

I think it adds a good challenge and excitement to the game.

Delver
Apr 21, 2012

I actually like cheating bosses, as much as I like this game, it's nice to avoid too much repetition in battles all the time. With special unique challenges for wizards. In my experience, the cheats are generally reserved for more major bosses. So of course they deserve a higher challenge.

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. I will likely cancel, then. That kind of "you have to research stuff on the web to keep up" approach doesn't really appeal to me.

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
The "cheating" bosses can certainly be frustrating at times, especially if you're a solo player. But face it, if they didn't cheat even the most powerful boss is a pushover for a relatively high level wizard. We get the advantage of (mostly) intelligent cooperation from fellow wizards where on the boss' side it's common for the minions to, for example, blade their comrades with totally inappropriate blades or waste traps and feints with underpowered hits. It's just one more thing that keeps the game fresh. A little real challenge now and then adds to the depth of the game and if it takes a cheat to accomplish this then I'm all in.

Delver
Mar 17, 2011

I like the cheating boss and here's why

1 they make me do resurch that has help me get better at finding stuff on the internet but i have the choice to look them up or just test there cheats and come back in

2 it fun to come back to them like h elephant tower it still a challenging but now i can solo it that make me feel stronger then what i started out with and it makes the game interesting because now i get challenged mentally

3 without cheat bosses it be to easy to beat them and the game would become boring because the cheats make the bosses harder and not just let spam him with this spell till he dies

to me cheat bosses help make the game sure they could add some new things to make the game a little more interesting but without cheating bosses then the game would be boring to me and i quit plain because it became to easy and move on to something with a little challenge but not to much

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
it's sad that people quit when they face a challenge. I don't usually "research stuff on the web". You can do that if you want to save time, or you can just see what they do and look for a counter. Most of the game is easy, so what's the big deal if there's a tricky part once in a while? Extra shield? Pierce or shatter. Boss attacks when you do something? Don't do it, or dispel that attack, then do it. Boss steals blades? Use traps. Observe, adapt.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
For me cheating bosses mean solo players are getting cut out from the game. I can make it through some, but some of the higher level ones pretty much no way. I know it's a mmo, but please think about the folks who really like to solo. Options at the sigils would be great.