Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shadow Enhanced Spells: Like or Loathe?

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 09, 2010
I've taken notice of some people complaining about the effectiveness of the new shadow enhanced spells, and felt the need to address it in some way or form.
I think they're all pretty well balanced out. I don't exactly see why people bumble over them being unmatched. Honestly, I can understand the balance one, but I'll get to that later.

I think they are a neat addition to the game, because obviously, we couldn't keep going with normal pip spells beyond ten: That would just be ridiculous, and time consuming. I think it was a clever move, and a good one to be honest. I think they're all visually appealing, and interesting. They also make me think a bit.....
I've noticed that most of them are seemingly "Khrysalis-like." Glow bug squall, Fire from Above, Call of Khrulhu, Hungry Caterpillar, and Mystic Colossus are all Khrysalis-themed spells. But the Ice one caught me off guard. For as creepy as it is, I wonder: What's it's purpose? Is this abominable abomination from some world? Or just another one of KI's creative creatures? The balance one is also pretty strange. Looks interesting, but It also makes me wonder if it has some sort of "back story."
So do you guys like the new spells? think any of them are under powered and vice-verse? Share your thoughts down below.

Blaze Stormmancer-Victor Of Kan Davasi

Survivor
Jul 16, 2013
I really like the new spells :) Especially the one I have for life, the armor it gives you is a big help. I was curious about the one for ice as well, and isn't there a balance forest lord spell? I remember seeing it in the beginning part of Darkmoor.

I love how KingsIsle is adding new things all the time to the game. I can't wait to see what will happen next. :)

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
As an Exalted Balance Wizard and having used the new Shadow Enhanced Spell many times now, I must say I like the look of the spell but the damage is just not quite what I expected. Number One it is too difficult to Blade and Trap for the spell other than balance blades, hex, and feints. Trying to decide to use spirit or elemental blades and traps is tricky. If you want to use them all because you can't guess what school the secondary hit will be, it takes a lot of time and by that time someone else on your team has already killed. Because they knew exactly what blades and or traps they needed and apply them quickly and then hit! I am so very disappointed by this and I hardly ever get a kill in with this spell unless I am solo. In most the higher end dungeons a team is needed. So basically I just turn myself into a tank with all high resist gear and set up and heal. Never much be a hitter or use the spell. The other school team member are way more effective so I just let them be the hitters. Same with PVP, it is hard to get a kill in with the spell due to the time it takes to set it up with proper blades and traps. I hate using feint in pvp because of the 30 or 40 trap you set on yourself. So there again the other player can quickly set you up with only worrying about his own school traps and blades. I love being Balance and before this new spell was quite successful at pvp. Well I just about quit it as well as being hitter in dungeons. Very sad for me!

Scarlet ShadowStone Exalted
Scarlet SwiftRiver Level 35
Scarlet FireEyes Level 36

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
Us storms are lucky, we got a very good AOT spell, but I personally like the death spell better since you get health back.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
Just about everyone I talk with agree the Death Shadow Enhanced Spell is overpowered. It really saddens me every time I see all the damage and the extreme amount of health returned back to the player or boss, I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking creating these spells like this. Just compare the Death and Storm Spells with the measly Balance Spell Balance Wizards are given. Even after my Myth Friend quickly blades himself and I add a couple balance blades and puts on his Myth traps he can kill All including Boss in the first fight in the first part of Castle Darkmoor. I would love to see my Balance Spell do half the Damage that spell can do. Like I said, My only use in these Dungeons is Tanking, Set-Up, and healing. I realize it is an important role but I have built up the damage on my wizard to seemingly no avail.

Scarlet FireEyes Level 37

Defender
May 09, 2010
hopefulz33 on Dec 29, 2014 wrote:
Just about everyone I talk with agree the Death Shadow Enhanced Spell is overpowered. It really saddens me every time I see all the damage and the extreme amount of health returned back to the player or boss, I can't even begin to imagine what they were thinking creating these spells like this. Just compare the Death and Storm Spells with the measly Balance Spell Balance Wizards are given. Even after my Myth Friend quickly blades himself and I add a couple balance blades and puts on his Myth traps he can kill All including Boss in the first fight in the first part of Castle Darkmoor. I would love to see my Balance Spell do half the Damage that spell can do. Like I said, My only use in these Dungeons is Tanking, Set-Up, and healing. I realize it is an important role but I have built up the damage on my wizard to seemingly no avail.

Different people have different views, and your opinion can make a difference. But please understand Kingsisle is doing everything to try and make things balanced. Diviners are Supposed to have high damage spells. And don't get me wrong, Saber Tooth was a powerful spell

Blaze Stormmancer

Explorer
Mar 26, 2011
hopefulz33 on Dec 29, 2014 wrote:

They already nerfed death's. Its not like they're gonna do it again. Balance got a upgraded nerf but people still complain even after it's one of the most powerful of them all.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Personally Call of khrulhu takes a VERY long time to finish its animation. Wish Its animation phase was a bit quicker. Most people complain about it. Storms is nice and sweet. Kingsisle did a Great job with Graphics on the spells. :)

Survivor
Feb 24, 2013
Ok, first, not to any topics of this, but I came looking for any Shadow Spell post, and from here, can someone tell me what is Shadow supposed to do, and give me one example of a Shadow Spell. Lately, I've had a hard time looking for a Shadow Spell.

Delver
Apr 16, 2014
I sure would like it if another Person here who actually has a Balance Wizard and the New Balance Spell, please tell me how they use it to kill without it not taking so long to set up. Like I said by the time I waste pips using elemental and spirit blades and traps both since I have no idea what school it will chose to hit with, with my other fellow wizards have already made the kill. So what is the use for me to even try to be a main hitter? I used to be awesome in pvp not so much anymore. Occasionally I get lucky with potent hexes and feints. But if I want to use school blades and traps all bets are off. Please another Balance Wizard say something here about how good that spell is and how they mainstream their hits. All that being said I do love ALL the new Shadow Enhance Spells and am making other wizards in hope of some day getting those spells. Thanks for reading.

Scarlet GhostGarden level 15