Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Higher Block in PvP

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Critical has gotten way out of hand ever since Hades. Now, thanks to the Harrowing Hoard Pack wands, the Darkmoor update, and some extremely glitched critical systems, I am not blocking anybody's criticals whatsoever. I used to be able to use a Death Mastery Amulet safely knowing that I could use Doom and Gloom, since my block rating was high enough, but now I can't Doom anymore due to unexpected criticals going off left and right. What's worse is that the Malistaire robes don't even give you any block rating at all, and the Malistaire boots don't give even give half the critical block you need to actually block somebody's criticals frequently (it does not amount to the critical percentage received from the hat and robe combined, being the sole piece of gear you relying on with solid block rating).

You could tell me to use the Teeth of the Lord's Night, but that can't work anymore. If I did, I would be at an extreme armor pierce disadvantage compared to everybody else who is using the Malistaire wands. KI, PvP is completely absorbed in luck right now. The Hades robes give a puny 3% block rating so they're useless, the wands give an unfair armor pierce advantage so you can't use anything else, the Malistaire robes give large accuracy but no block rating, so we're all stuck with block percentages that don't even compare to critical. Not to mention that we have critical bubbles and no critical block bubbles, multiple critical rating pet talents with very few critical block talents, Supernova ruins the point of conviction, so we're all stuck suffering under a harsh decision: Low block percentage or low armor pierce percentage. Either way, if we choose to have higher block wands, people with the Malistaire wands will deal more damage thanks to their 11-13% armor pierce advantage.

I strongly believe that more types of gear need to start give block rating. The Absolute Zero Brim is a hat that gives 75 block rating, but the stats aren't good. I believe that the Malistaire hat and robes need to offer some block rating (possibly 25 from the hat and 45 from the robe), we need a level 100 version of the Duelist's Daredevil Ring (one that offers 45 block rating), and we need a spell that decreases critical chance other than Conviction, because Supernova ruins the point of it. That way, critical and critical block can be less luck based and wizards could decide to use Vengeance or the critical bubbles to actually critical on their opponent more or not. Critical should at least have an offensive risk to it, it shouldn't be given away freely with large offensive stats, because PvP is already going downhill.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
PvP King on Dec 14, 2014 wrote:
Critical has gotten way out of hand ever since Hades. Now, thanks to the Harrowing Hoard Pack wands, the Darkmoor update, and some extremely glitched critical systems, I am not blocking anybody's criticals whatsoever. I used to be able to use a Death Mastery Amulet safely knowing that I could use Doom and Gloom, since my block rating was high enough, but now I can't Doom anymore due to unexpected criticals going off left and right. What's worse is that the Malistaire robes don't even give you any block rating at all, and the Malistaire boots don't give even give half the critical block you need to actually block somebody's criticals frequently (it does not amount to the critical percentage received from the hat and robe combined, being the sole piece of gear you relying on with solid block rating).

You could tell me to use the Teeth of the Lord's Night, but that can't work anymore. If I did, I would be at an extreme armor pierce disadvantage compared to everybody else who is using the Malistaire wands. KI, PvP is completely absorbed in luck right now. The Hades robes give a puny 3% block rating so they're useless, the wands give an unfair armor pierce advantage so you can't use anything else, the Malistaire robes give large accuracy but no block rating, so we're all stuck with block percentages that don't even compare to critical. Not to mention that we have critical bubbles and no critical block bubbles, multiple critical rating pet talents with very few critical block talents, Supernova ruins the point of conviction, so we're all stuck suffering under a harsh decision: Low block percentage or low armor pierce percentage. Either way, if we choose to have higher block wands, people with the Malistaire wands will deal more damage thanks to their 11-13% armor pierce advantage.

I strongly believe that more types of gear need to start give block rating. The Absolute Zero Brim is a hat that gives 75 block rating, but the stats aren't good. I believe that the Malistaire hat and robes need to offer some block rating (possibly 25 from the hat and 45 from the robe), we need a level 100 version of the Duelist's Daredevil Ring (one that offers 45 block rating), and we need a spell that decreases critical chance other than Conviction, because Supernova ruins the point of it. That way, critical and critical block can be less luck based and wizards could decide to use Vengeance or the critical bubbles to actually critical on their opponent more or not. Critical should at least have an offensive risk to it, it shouldn't be given away freely with large offensive stats, because PvP is already going downhill.
I strongly disagree.
You said above that the wands give you from 11-13% well that isn't true.
Or at least not all of them do.
You also said that if you use another wand then people will deal more damage as if your malistair wand give you any resist.
Now it doesn't matter if you lose pierce or not. The most important point is that you gain block.
Oh and one more thing don't forget that those who go full offense then they loose ther defense.
So you can freely use the blocking wand.

Nicholas Star

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I don't know if anything is glitched about block, but I do agree that gear stats aren't where they need to be. Needs more block.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
Lucas Rain on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
I don't know if anything is glitched about block, but I do agree that gear stats aren't where they need to be. Needs more block.
I don't see how gear needs more block but what I don't like is that critical has no limits while block does.
If so not true then what is the limit for cirtical? I personally saw a guy has 917 critical that is insane.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
mykola230 on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
I strongly disagree.
You said above that the wands give you from 11-13% well that isn't true.
Or at least not all of them do.
You also said that if you use another wand then people will deal more damage as if your malistair wand give you any resist.
Now it doesn't matter if you lose pierce or not. The most important point is that you gain block.
Oh and one more thing don't forget that those who go full offense then they loose ther defense.
So you can freely use the blocking wand.

Nicholas Star
If you use a wand with 11-13% armor pierce, you already gain a huge damaging advantage. The Malistaire wands sadly offer just enough block so you can block people who are using block-based wands, but the block-based wands will not always critical block people with Malistaire wands, meaning that you're forced to use a Malistaire wand anyway. That's immediately forcing you to rely on your 65% chance average to block a critical, which is extremely luck based.

You can't go "full offense" with Malistaire gear anymore. It offers a solid amount of everything except heal boost and block rating, two highly needed stats for defense. We need more options that offer a solid amount of block rating as well as armor pierce so we can give that offensive push that players with high critical ratings do.

Defender
Sep 17, 2011
PvP King on Dec 15, 2014 wrote:
If you use a wand with 11-13% armor pierce, you already gain a huge damaging advantage. The Malistaire wands sadly offer just enough block so you can block people who are using block-based wands, but the block-based wands will not always critical block people with Malistaire wands, meaning that you're forced to use a Malistaire wand anyway. That's immediately forcing you to rely on your 65% chance average to block a critical, which is extremely luck based.

You can't go "full offense" with Malistaire gear anymore. It offers a solid amount of everything except heal boost and block rating, two highly needed stats for defense. We need more options that offer a solid amount of block rating as well as armor pierce so we can give that offensive push that players with high critical ratings do.
You can go full offensive with malistair gear.
The gear average resist is what? 23%?
That is like nothing.
Therefore I don't really see how malistair gear gives everything.
Now as I said above wizard101 Should give limit to amount of critical you can have.
Therefore you let's say can't go above 90% critical. It won't change much but it won't be like we have now 130%+ crit.

Nicholas Star

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
mykola230 on Dec 16, 2014 wrote:
You can go full offensive with malistair gear.
The gear average resist is what? 23%?
That is like nothing.
Therefore I don't really see how malistair gear gives everything.
Now as I said above wizard101 Should give limit to amount of critical you can have.
Therefore you let's say can't go above 90% critical. It won't change much but it won't be like we have now 130%+ crit.

Nicholas Star
The average resist given from Malistaire gear is 33% resist. Storm is the school with the lowest resist and has a minimum of 31%. Myth, Death, Fire, and Life have 32% minimum resist from their gear, Balance has 34%, and Ice has 42%. Do the math before randomly coming up with numbers, as unresearched information is useless.

Wizard101 should not have a limit to how much critical you can have, because there is still 70% critical from the average wizard, which is already too much. With the Malistaire gear set, you have 48% block rating, and roughly an average of 62% critical rating. This means, on average, a quarter of criticals will go through the average block rating, which is too much. As I said before, there should be block-based wands that give large amounts of block rating and enough armor pierce to compare to the Malistaire wands.