Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvE Opinions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 12, 2014
Hey guys,
This is my input on schools and their impact on solo PvE and group PvE.

Solo:

Tier 1:
, , , and .
These guys are monsters in solo PvE they all (except ice) do tons of damage (death with feint) and a lot of storm and fire spells attack all enemies to end it fast, but they both have a risk of fizzling and dying quickly. Death takes a longer time to set up and kill but it is more consistent and safe due to its high accuracy and sapping health ability. Ice is a school that requires patience, skill, and timing if you got these traits ice is for you. Ice wizards can live for quite a while in a battle and have a lot of good shields and AOE spells and even stuns.

Tier 2:
and . These two schools are quite good for soloing but each of them are just missing something. Life is very good, you can heal like crazy and maybe stretch a battle for five hours by just healing and reshuffling. Life can end a battle given time but it has bad attack and all it has is healing and attack not any extra stuff like damage over time or stunning. Myth is great as well, above average damage, stuns, minions, and more. However this school is for the very, very skilled to utilize all its attributes with good chemistry.

Tier 3:
. Although balance is a killer in PvP, it is lacking in PvE. A blade and trap that could be countered by tower shield AND weakness, not very great health, no prisms to fight balance enemies, and no boosts to any enemy. Although this school does have its pros like judgement and shields, this school is clearly not meant to solo.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
The storm of death on Dec 5, 2014 wrote:
Hey guys,

Solo:

Tier 1:
, , , and .
These guys are monsters in solo PvE they all (except ice) do tons of damage (death with feint) and a lot of storm and fire spells attack all enemies to end it fast, but they both have a risk of fizzling and dying quickly. Death takes a longer time to set up and kill but it is more consistent and safe due to its high accuracy and sapping health ability. Ice is a school that requires patience, skill, and timing if you got these traits ice is for you. Ice wizards can live for quite a while in a battle and have a lot of good shields and AOE spells and even stuns.

Tier 2:
and . These two schools are quite good for soloing but each of them are just missing something. Life is very good, you can heal like crazy and maybe stretch a battle for five hours by just healing and reshuffling. Life can end a battle given time but it has bad attack and all it has is healing and attack not any extra stuff like damage over time or stunning. Myth is great as well, above average damage, stuns, minions, and more. However this school is for the very, very skilled to utilize all its attributes with good chemistry.

Tier 3:
. Although balance is a killer in PvP, it is lacking in PvE. A blade and trap that could be countered by tower shield AND weakness, not very great health, no prisms to fight balance enemies, and no boosts to any enemy. Although this school does have its pros like judgement and shields, this school is clearly not meant to solo.
Regarding Ice: Ice can be a massive hitter if played correctly. Although we don't get out blade until level 38 (absurd!), you should train the Elemental blades in Krok and use them. Once you get the Ice blade, pairing that with the 30% Ice trap and the elemental blade of 35%... yeah, nice hit! Plus gear boosts attack as well as accuracy and global resistance. Ice can last forever.

Regarding Life: It's pretty much the same deal as Ice... train the Spirit blades in Krok and combine with your trap and blade. It's very frustrating to keep getting healing spells if you solo, but they do come in handy!

Any school can be played solo - I've played the all. You simply have to know each schools pluses and weaknesses and utilize/work around them.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
I have to disagree completely with this assessment. With the exception of , I have soloed every school through the game. Some required help on certain parts, others didn't. I find it amusing that the two that needed NO help on any part of the game are listed as Tier 2 by you. and are both very easy solo schools. Frankly any school can be soloed, it just takes different strategies for each. I would say of the 6 schools I have soloed, are the hardest, but really only at certain parts. Both of those schools have a harder time in the uppermost worlds when solo fighting a lot of bosses. 's only issue soloing is surviving long enough to kill all, sometimes it's just luck of the draw, so lots of replaying battles. 's only issue solo is the number of bosses at certain levels.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
The storm of death on Dec 5, 2014 wrote:
Hey guys,

Solo:

Tier 1:
, , , and .

Tier 2:

Tier 3:
I've played Fire and Death to max, and life is mid 60's. Here's my thoughts:

Fire - you need to plan it so that your gear will let you live while burning the crud out of your opponents. Usually, my plan for mobs is a 3 blade, colossal Fire Dragon. For bosses, I tend to go with Efreet and Fire dragon and they work well. Sure, I have to set my gear right, and part of that was a life mastery amulet, but soloing is a breeze. I still need some help, but not much and not often

Death - I NEVER use Feint on a regular basis. I find that when I feint, usually somebody hits with a 7 pip spell and it hurts, A LOT. Sure, all i have to do is hit and I'll get healed, but I never liked that part of feint. I WILL use it on certain bosses/farming runs, but it is NOT a regular tool for me. Again, 3 blades and hit. For Mobs I only bring Crow and for bosses Ill bring crow and franky; that's it.

In both cases, Reshuffle is a BIG part of the plan

As for Life, I'll give you my opinion once I max level it :)

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Some schools are better at certain things, but all can get the job done if you play them right and set up well for the task at hand. I don't buy "___ is better than ___" comparisons. All the schools are fun, and all are as strong as you make them.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
I currently have two exhalted wizards on Darkmoor as well as a lvl 69 Life and a Lvl 90 Fire plis low level Death and Ice.
Yes I will admit my Balance has struggled a lot in some realms but I found my best playing style was to heal blade and shield my teammates with the occasional hit. Strangely, my Balance Wizard has finished Darkmoor whilst my Storm with all his powerful hits can only get through the graveyard every now and then despite trying numerous strategies and trying new spells.
As many players have commented over the years, each and every school has it's strengths and weaknesses, the trick is to accentuate your strengths and deliniate your weaknesses playing with a team that have the skills to overcome your shoftfalls and theirs is a big help/
James Dreamweaver Exhalted
Michael Stormhammer Exhalted

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I have two play styles as a one is the high damage the other is defensive. The one thing I hate is fighting my own school in PVE just because until you hit shadow magic you need prisms and when you do reach shadow magic you need shadow pips which can be very ify in terms of showing up

Defender
Apr 05, 2013
I killed a 20k boss in two hits, one hit was for the minion, the other did 22k damage. Guess what, it was solo with a storm. storm for the win amirite