Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unfair To Crowns Players

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 13, 2011
Membership benefits are getting out of hand. The average membership player tends to pay less than a crowns player. Meanwhile, membership players are getting more benefits while crowns players don't get anything good even though they are paying lots of money. I have always been a crowns player who has every Wizard101 area in the spiral. Seeing these new member benefits just made me start crying. I am a valued player and I feel as crowns players should get equal treatment.

-Duncan SpiritWard level 100

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
You are wrong. That is the purpose of a membership. Memberships permeate our society in various forms, and always give perks above and beyond what others may get. KI has long been lagging in the area of member perks, despite their proven success. The benefits that you now see for members, will help ensure loyalty from current members, and improve the chances of acquiring more members. If you want the perks, then you have to get a membership. There is nothing unfair about it at all.

Survivor
Nov 06, 2013
Thank you for posting this Duncan! I'm not going to repeat what I said in a thread I tried to post that was similar to yours because they didn't approve mine. So I'm just going to say, as a crowns only player myself I have the exact same thoughts as you!

Survivor
Nov 06, 2013
Intrepidatius on Nov 26, 2014 wrote:
You are wrong. That is the purpose of a membership. Memberships permeate our society in various forms, and always give perks above and beyond what others may get. KI has long been lagging in the area of member perks, despite their proven success. The benefits that you now see for members, will help ensure loyalty from current members, and improve the chances of acquiring more members. If you want the perks, then you have to get a membership. There is nothing unfair about it at all.
You're missing his point. He is saying that crowns players usually pay more than members, yet we get absolutely no benefits, other than keeping the areas that we buy forever.

Defender
Dec 07, 2012
One if you spend a lot of money you should of got a membership then! You seem to be missing the point right now! Still yes many do have crowns but if you spend so much you should of just got the member.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
masterhpotter101 on Nov 26, 2014 wrote:
You're missing his point. He is saying that crowns players usually pay more than members, yet we get absolutely no benefits, other than keeping the areas that we buy forever.
I do indeed understand the point. Perhaps I should explain differently though, if my former post wasn't clear. By allowing crowns purchasers benefits, it takes away from a membership. That would be a self-defeating effort on Ki's part. To get the benefits, you need the membership. I am a good example: I have several accounts, two of which are members, and the others use crowns. I don't think its a good idea, or makes good business sense to give perks to non-members, and yes that includes me, and my accounts. I hope I explained myself better this time.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I am both a member and a Crowns player.

While I would like more for my Crowns account, I can assure you that my membership account has cost more than my Crowns account. That's why I don't have a membership for both accounts. I've been paying approximately $66/year, and this will be my 5th year. That means on membership alone I will have spent over $300, and that doesn't include Crowns purchases for in game items. My other account is 3 years old and I've purchased every area with Crowns. I don't have the time to go through and calculate the cost, but I would estimate it only cost me about half of what I've spent on membership, maybe a bit more.

With all of the areas currently available, I do get what you're saying. In order to buy all of the worlds someone needs to spend a heck of a lot more money to buy them with Crowns than Johnny Newshoes showing up today buying a 12 month (or even a one month) membership and getting all of these benefits that a 5 year Crowns player doesn't get. It's not like 2 or 3 years ago where you could buy almost every area with Crowns for just barely more than what a 12 month membership cost.

There does need to be incentive for people to buy memberships. But maybe KI could afford to offer more to Crowns players too who have purchased areas. However what's the compromise? A 6 year member lets their membership expire and they go right back to the same benefits (or lack thereof) as a non-Crowns player with no access to anything other than Wizard City and are reduced to the same backpack restrictions, while Crowns players can keep playing everywhere they've bought forever without spending another penny.

I don't think there is an easy way to solve this dilemna. Being a member and Crowns player, I see it from both sides and honestly can't come up with something that isn't going to leave someone feeling devalued as a customer in some way or another.

Defender
Jun 16, 2011
Look you made in your point that Membership is cheaper. If it is cheaper why not buy it then? In every game I play people complain about the cost of membership and how there should be no such thing as MS~(Membership), how else is the company that made the game going to earn a profit?

Basic Point~ Try buying Membership, Cheaper, More Fun, Easier.

Cant afford it/ your parents don't want to buy it themselves?~ Try doing chores to get money, or if you get an A on a test you get 1$.

Your Informative Fire Wizard,
Elizabeth, Level 70

Explorer
Jun 22, 2010
KL is being generous with crown access.
they didn't have to, but, they did it.
i understand, sorry man.
i am a member for another 9 months i think (yearly)
but, a membership is worth it.
KL depends on membership to support server prices and pay checks, to support employees.
-James Skullheart lvl 44

Delver
Mar 17, 2011
Duncan SpiritWard on Nov 26, 2014 wrote:
Membership benefits are getting out of hand. The average membership player tends to pay less than a crowns player. Meanwhile, membership players are getting more benefits while crowns players don't get anything good even though they are paying lots of money. I have always been a crowns player who has every Wizard101 area in the spiral. Seeing these new member benefits just made me start crying. I am a valued player and I feel as crowns players should get equal treatment.

I both crowns and membership player truthfully it fair only because member ships last so long and you have to buy them over and over again crowns all you have to do is pay for the area then you can keep playing it as long as you want.

here why it fair
1 membership don't have the area bought so we pay over and over again so we can keep it open unlike crowns where you can just buy the area and go back to it endless

2 membership you can't buy anything with crowns you can buy anything in crown shop a hole world even or even pay to get in torments all membership gets you is accuse to everywhere in the game and rank pvp also the new dance moves

it is fairly balance crowns let you buy anything in crown shop or worlds or even torments membership lets you go every where and play in rank also have cool dance moves

both side have a even amount it perfectly balance and fair because crown you only have to pay one time for no one make it where you have to pay over and over again membership on the other hand if you don't have it to end after it over will just buy another one and bill you for it

level 100

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Crowns players pay more? Do the math. If a crowns player opens up the entire game within a year yes they are paying more, but they never have to pay again. Over the course of the following year, members pay more. A person with membership has to pay monthly or yearly to keep getting the same areas. Once we stop paying we are stuck in the very limited free areas. Do you REALLY a think members don't buy crowns? They do. Just because we pay a monthly or yearly membership doesn't mean we have free items from the crowns shop.

To the left of this post you will see my starting date...May 2009. Even if I got the yearly discount of 69.95 each year (which I did not). I would have paid 420.00 just to play the game with no extras. Now, over that same period of time, a crowns player buying crowns when they are 60,000 for 60.00 only had to pay roughly 153.00 to play the game with no extras from start to finish and that is including the newest areas.

After my first year of playing I new buying areas would be cheaper. I chose not to buy areas because of the restrictions on PvP. Even though I don't PvP I wanted the option if I so choose. At that time that was basically the ONLY benefit of membership.

I know many of you will bring up how many bundles or extra crowns you have purchased. This may come as a surprise, but members also purchased those things. All that really matters is the cost it takes to play the game from start to finish.

So, to wrap up this post, I suggest all the crowns players get a piece of paper and pencil or a calculator and do the simple math on the cost it takes to play this game. My math may be a little off, but not by much.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
That's a huge benefit though. You never have to pay again to play areas you paid for. Members must continue to pay forever to keep playing.

Survivor
May 03, 2014
At least you get to keep the areas you buy forever.

But you're probably right about you guys paying more than us, I haven't exactly gave this game a lot of money.

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
Well, you crowns buyers can buy much of the crown shop and get a bunch of advantages. We members don't have crowns unless we pay much more money for it. Maybe that's why?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Duncan SpiritWard on Nov 26, 2014 wrote:

less in the short run, but MUCH more in the long run. once you pay for an area, you own it forever, members still have to pay for it monthly. I agree that crown players spend money, and that they should feel rewarded for what they do, but let's not fool ourselves, crown players, who buy areas, spend a LOT less than members do. As I recall, the amount it costs to buy the whole game is like, 1.5 year's worth of a renewed subscription. After that though, you spend NOTHING (on being able to use those areas). After the 1.5 years, members continue to pay, every single month. Just something to remember

Survivor
Oct 11, 2014
You don't pay more than membership players...if a membership player keeps paying for their account every month for years on end they will ultimately pay more than you in the long run even if it seems like you pay more at the outset.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
There is no doubt that membership provides a better gaming experience than crown purchasing zones. But if you didn't realize that when you started playing, it would really suck to purchase 50% of the gaming zones before you clued in that membership is better.

I don't believe KI offers refunds or trade-ins.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Some people love music, and will buy albums whenever they can. Other individuals just want to experience one song on the album; without owning or buying the entire album.

For players that have a choice to buy membership, it makes sense to have it. For those unable to buy membership, it may be possible to unlock areas using crowns.

The most important thing is, if you perceive what you're doing as being beneficial or valuable to yourself.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
If you buy crowns during a sale, all areas cost about $110 to buy in crowns.

Two years worth of membership costs more than that on sale, and there are many players who have had subs for four years, so no crown players don't spend as much typically. If you want the member benefits, you can get a one month sub when they happen, which so far has been once, so no, member benefits are not "getting out of hand".

Someone else getting something doesn't take anything away from you. Your crown investment is as good as ever, and you do get equal treatment. If you want the membership rewards you can get them at the exact same cost as a member.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
...so just give crowns players something they can buy "forever" (aka not membership) that entitles them to some of the same benefits as members and this problem goes completely away.

Delver
Mar 05, 2013
You can't claim that Crown players pay less in the long run than Membership players, and in the same breath whine because KI is offering Members benefits that Crown players don't get. Paying less in the long run is already a benefit for Crown players that Members don't get right off the bat isn't it? And now you want more benefits? It doesn't wash. And don't forget that along with paying Membership fees, Members also must purchase Crowns if they want to buy Crown only items. You can't have it both ways. I think KI offers Members extra benefits for that very reason...most of us are reaching into our pocketbooks twice. Think about it. You make a conscious decision to be a Crown player. You can't realistically expect to be monetarily or otherwise rewarded for making the admitted money saving choice. It's also sound marketing on KI's part. They want to sell Memberships because it's revenue certainty, and are offering incentives for people to buy them. Nothing wrong with that.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Lucas Rain on Feb 11, 2015 wrote:
...so just give crowns players something they can buy "forever" (aka not membership) that entitles them to some of the same benefits as members and this problem goes completely away.
That could work. Permanent perks for $150 as a one-time buy. I'm not sure how many crown players would do that, but i see no harm in offering it.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
How about something like being able to report after so many areas bought. At least some partial bonuses after buying so many areas?

Geographer
Oct 09, 2011
rocket030 on Feb 12, 2015 wrote:
How about something like being able to report after so many areas bought. At least some partial bonuses after buying so many areas?
Being able to report what? Offensive behaviour? You can do that already.

Survivor
Oct 01, 2014
lewski on Feb 12, 2015 wrote:
Being able to report what? Offensive behaviour? You can do that already.
Nope not if you are a crowns player you can't.
Check here.
https://www.wizard101.com/game/options