Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Halloween Pack/Gear... Game Breaking?(PVP Related)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 06, 2009
Well I was doing some PVP today with some friends, been playing the game since 2009, and I feel like there is no point in doing pvp anymore unless you have a storm and are going first. Here is my reasoning.

As I said, just not long ago this evening, I did a pvp with my friends, and we went in thinking this would be fun. We soon realize after they started talking in chat, that one of them at over 600 critical. We are already disgusted at this and knew he was the main thread, but then soon learn that they had a second storm with over 700 (704) Critical... Not to mention 114 damage, and 19% pierce. He was being shielded and bladed every turn by someone.

Please tell me how this is even possible to block. Since I, being life used Jade as a heal supporter with a good universal block (240 + conviction). Every 2 rounds, a storm hit with tempest, critical 90% of the time and none of us EVER blocked a single hit from them. First off, they go first, so they already have dispel advantage, and second they are in the 2nd and 4th slot on the team, so they get cleans advantage.

Can someone tell me who thought it would be a great idea to give storm EVEN MORE critical, whenever anyone sees that, first thought is, ok this is the new pvp item for storm. It is essentially IMPOSSIBLE to block this critical unless you are built 100% for storm attacks, and hopefully be an ice wizard.

Now, I understand that this was intended for doing dungeons and boss battles, but for those who like to do PVP on their high levels have no chance anymore when going against this. According to duelist101, here is the list of the new wands with there stats.

Jack Hallow's Wailer (Storm): 223 Critical
Jack Hallow's Blues (Fire): 209 Critical
Tormentor's Shredder (Death): 195 Critical
Jack Hallow's Guitar (Balance): 195 Critical
Jack Hallow's Gourdtar (Myth): 195 Critical
Tormentors Skullsplitter (Life): 181 Critical
Tormentors Bonerattler (Ice): 165 Critical

These stats are beyond unfair, especially to storm, ice and life. Ice has the worse of them all, with no block on top of it. (I am sorry ice wizards). Followed by life who doesn't even get a healing incoming/outgoing boost. Life is meant to be the support healing school, and there isn't even a outgoing/incoming buff. Then we have storm who skyrockets above every other school getting a solid 14 more then life which is already 14 more then the next 3 schools to have high critical.

Back in 09, all the schools were just about even, and now, its like an ant to a mountain in stats. PVP is not playable anymore.

If any staff was to see/talk to the players, and read the forums, you should know this game, and PVP specifically is ALL crown based. I understand its a money making technique, but this just ruins the idea of spending crowns especially on PVP now. I am sorry, but this update was horrible.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I don't know if anything is broken beyond repair, but I agree with you that it would be nice to see more staff participating with us to figure out what the needs are and how to fix them.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
This is something that I have long complained about, we need more Crit block.
The problem, it just helps out the Jades more, which is not needed in the game either.

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Today's complaint from the OP is that storm wizards get a crazy high hard to block critical rating.

Sure, this can be a challenge for many wizards.

And yesterday, folks complained about...

...having to fight folks with super high resistance gear.

...or how unfair it is that low ranking folks beat high ranking folks using treasure cards.

...and then there's those players with crazy healing pets.

...or that certain wizards schools are too hard to fight.

...or only warlords should be allowed to fight other warlords.

...and so, and so on...

It really comes down to perspective; and what you choose to do about it.

Because when it comes to winning PVP; there's only one approach that works:

"Put on your big wizard pants; and bring anything and everything that allows you to win."

I know, I know, next you'll tell me you don't have big wizard pants, and its unfair that some wizards do...

....and so on, and so on....

All the same; here's to awesome pvp matches for everyone!

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
The issue is, the W101 community is divided between Energy based skills, PvE, and PvP. What's good for one isnt good for the other (generally speaking). Spells and gear tend to cater to one aspect or another. They have specialty gear that caters to one function. The gear caters to Energy users, PvE, and PvP separately. They have combat spells that tend to cater to PvP or PvE. I have made suggestions before, that I think are valid, have merit and would help both PvP/PvE, but we have yet to see any of those implemented. If they listen to us much more than they have, things are going to get even crazier because within each subgroup, there doesnt seem to be a single unifying concept on how to make that area better, while maintaining a balance. People have come up with some really good ideas, but others inside that grouping have shot it down. Perfect example, PvP. How many times have we heard "get rid of TC/Pets/maycast/Shielding, give us options to not be able to use gear, this maycast spell has too high a cast rate, etc etc etc". So, if KI listened to all of those, PvP would be BROKEN and need to be removed from the game because then everybody would complain it stinks. It's a very delicate balance trying to keep everything together. Some things they do better than others and we take the good with the bad.

I feel we need LESS cookie cutter items and much more specialized/customized items. The halloween stuff actually does that (as do other pieces of gear). I think from now on, KI needs separate teams working on separate aspects of the game. They need people to focus solely on ONE aspect of gameplay. Would it be so bad if they have a PvE team, a PvP team, and a Skill team? Each one could work on improving that one aspect. SOMETIMES, there are ideas which can benefit more than one area, but usually, a positive in one is a negative in another.

Just my $.02 USD

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
dayerider on Oct 17, 2014 wrote:
The issue is, the W101 community is divided between Energy based skills, PvE, and PvP. What's good for one isnt good for the other (generally speaking). Spells and gear tend to cater to one aspect or another. They have specialty gear that caters to one function. The gear caters to Energy users, PvE, and PvP separately. They have combat spells that tend to cater to PvP or PvE. I have made suggestions before, that I think are valid, have merit and would help both PvP/PvE, but we have yet to see any of those implemented. If they listen to us much more than they have, things are going to get even crazier because within each subgroup, there doesnt seem to be a single unifying concept on how to make that area better, while maintaining a balance. People have come up with some really good ideas, but others inside that grouping have shot it down. Perfect example, PvP. How many times have we heard "get rid of TC/Pets/maycast/Shielding, give us options to not be able to use gear, this maycast spell has too high a cast rate, etc etc etc". So, if KI listened to all of those, PvP would be BROKEN and need to be removed from the game because then everybody would complain it stinks. It's a very delicate balance trying to keep everything together. Some things they do better than others and we take the good with the bad.

I feel we need LESS cookie cutter items and much more specialized/customized items. The halloween stuff actually does that (as do other pieces of gear). I think from now on, KI needs separate teams working on separate aspects of the game. They need people to focus solely on ONE aspect of gameplay. Would it be so bad if they have a PvE team, a PvP team, and a Skill team? Each one could work on improving that one aspect. SOMETIMES, there are ideas which can benefit more than one area, but usually, a positive in one is a negative in another.

Just my $.02 USD
Separate teams is a good idea. A really good idea. As long as they still have a general idea of what the others are up to.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
The wands do give large amounts of critical percentages (Storm's wand being almost 50%), but thankfully they don't give any specific school block ratings or armor pierce. I don't think the wands are strong enough to actually ruin PvP since we can critical against people who use these wands, but I think Storm's critical rating should be toned down. With only 3 pieces of gear (KR hat, Hades robe, Harrowing Hoard Pack Guitar), they have over 100% critical rating. The Harrowing Nightmare Pack really has been a nightmare for non-Storm wizards.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Lucas Rain on Oct 18, 2014 wrote:
Separate teams is a good idea. A really good idea. As long as they still have a general idea of what the others are up to.
of course :) Cross-teaming communication would be VITAL, but specializing the teams would help enhance each part of the game. If somebody like me worked there, somebody who prefers PvE, I could help shape spells and gear for that aspect alone, making it more successful. People like PvP king could help make PvP a much better experience, and then those Energy addicts could help with that. The BEST part is, with this kind of specialized team approach, they could take the existing skills/abilities and make them more universally accepted by making them BETTER. If PvP was more balanced/fair/etc, wouldnt more people do it? If PvE was focused on more, we wouldnt see so many heal prevention spells on death. if energy was focused on, perhaps new items and gear, set up specifically for energy use, would come around.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2010
I understand how you feel man. I've been losing a lot of ranked matches due to this new wands. I'm a grandmaster ice wizard and every time I queue up pvp all I get is lvl 100 storm wizards with 100 damage and 600+ critical rating. They need to implement a system where high ranking grandmaster wizards can block these massive critical bonuses.