Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Gear that adds stats based on your training points

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
I think it could add a new element to gameplay if gear stats gave specific power-ups based on the way you have spent training points in the past.

Specifically, I think it would be great to develop a few new sets of gear (Level 25 set, Level 50 set, Level 75 set, Level 100 set) that take this into account. Spending training points on different spells could unlock specific boosts for your gear set, such as added resistance, damage, pip chance, healing ability, critical rating, stun resistance, and so on.

Using the gear is completely optional, you can keep your current wizard gear the way it is. However, I feel like a lot of users would want to experiment with new hats, robes, boots, wands, that can be tailored to their specific style of play, instead of forcing them to adopt "primary school only" play styles. With this, it would make practical sense to train a secondary or tertiary school, rather than just following the old, tired script of Life-to-Satyr, Ice-to-Tower, Death-to-Feint, etc.

Programming really isn't an issue. First, it's a new set of gear, so no one has to go back and edit everything that was ever made. Second, the game already has scripts that record whether a player is of a certain school, is a certain level, is a certain rank. All this does is make a few extra automatic queries about where training points have been spent and what stats to activate in the gear.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
There's already school crafted gear with double school stats, so expanding that selection might make more sense than adding a new programming mechanic to track training points. I like your idea of gear to make off-school spells more useful.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
See, I never understood that whole thing of "ice to tower, death to feint" stuff. That seemed more like PvP strategy to me than PvE. YMMV of course. That being said, I totally agree that more combinations need to be made into the game as far as gear goes. That is exactly why I posted this suggestion:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/mastery-expansion-8ad6a41a4592dec30145af0fe3974c63?reset=1

I think there are some really good sets of gear that we can use, and there's tons of combinations, but there could be much much more. Adding bonuses for training alternate schools could be a slick twist to the game. I do have these questions though:

would there need to be a minimum number of points spent on a school before effects become usable? For example, let's say I only have the Ice Dispel learned from Ice school, would any extra effects happen?

Would this be for the primary 7 schools or ALL schools? After all, any school you've spent training points on is considered a secondary school really.

Would it be a cumulative effect where 1 TP would yield "X" result but 7 TP would yield "7x"?

Just some thoughts off the top of my head

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
"I never understood that whole thing of "ice to tower, death to feint" stuff. That seemed more like PvP strategy to me than PvE. YMMV of course."

IMO Feint is useful for anyone who plays a supporting role on a team or if you need more damage. Tower is not needed for PvE.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Gemma Luna on Oct 7, 2014 wrote:
"I never understood that whole thing of "ice to tower, death to feint" stuff. That seemed more like PvP strategy to me than PvE. YMMV of course."

IMO Feint is useful for anyone who plays a supporting role on a team or if you need more damage. Tower is not needed for PvE.
I agree, feint is really necessary for solo PVE also. Tower is pointless in PVE. For my wizards it's life and death for secondarys no matter what school they are.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
yes, feint is helpful, but not needed. I dont have it trained at all on my fire and, in K2 now, doing just fine. My battles dont last too long either. The whole thing I have issue with is why waste training points on spells you MAY not need. Recommending:

Ice to Tower Shield
Death to Feint
Life to Satyr
etc
etc

Doesnt always work for everybody and seems too cookie cutter. In a game where we have a ton of options, limiting like this seems counterproductive.

What I hate is when people ask what spells to train, and more often than not, we get this same cookie cutter approach in a situation where it's not only overkill, but wasteful. I have Ice to tower myself, and it's a waste (for how I play the game). When I have the crowns to buy back my points, those will go. life to Satyr has been EXTREMELY useful as my Pyromancer had problems staying alive longer enough to end the fight (a life ammy helped big time). Death/Myth/Storm has NOTHING trained. Balance only has the tri blade/trap (which is mostly useless for my style) and I accidently bought an accuracy sun spell. That's 5-7 wasted training points based off of contemporary strategy based off of PvP tactics which are NOT the same as PvE tactics.

I think we need to STOP giving out this cookie cutter advice and start finding out WHAT people are doing to more accurately guide them to become better wizards. yes, some posts/posters do that, but most don't. most spew the "life to satyr, ice to tower, death to feint, myth to quake, etc etc"

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Fire school is the exception really. With all it's DOT spells feint isn't as useful as it is for other schools because they just waste it. I always do death to Feint, because I don't play fire and I find life to Satyr useful on every wizard except death.

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Thought I'd draw up a rough draft of the kinds of bonuses that training could add to your gear. Just a draft, so relax, I know how people do. I'll use the Level 25 gear as a starting point. Later sets (Level 50, 75, 100) would need to be buffed more so the total set isn't a waste. In this draft, stats are granted per piece of gear, so they should be multiplied if you are using multiple pieces (hat + robe + boots).

Gear shouldn't add boosts for spells other schools cannot train, craftable spells, spells learned from Loremaster, or spells learned from card packs.

I'm covering attacks, traps, and shields below, although there are still many more spell types to think about.

for attack spells:
  • increase ////// damage percentage by 2% for each attack learned
  • ex - learn Rank 3 Fire attack, your Fire damage boost is 6%
  • ex - when using hat, robe, and boots, your Fire damage would be 18% by Sunbird, and then 24% when learning Meteor Strike at Level 26
  • boost would be higher for Level 50, 75, 100 set gear set
for shield spells:
  • if you learn a dual shield, increase ////// by 3% to the two emblems in the dual shield, or 2% school specific for single shields
  • ex - Glacial Shield gives 3% base Storm resist and 3% base Ice resist (since the shield depicts storm and ice emblems); if using hat, robe, and boots, training Glacial Shield (Fire spell) would give up to 9% Ice and Storm resist; similarly Volcanic Shield (Ice Spell) would give up to 9% Storm and Fire resist, and Legend Shield (Life Spell) would give up to 9% Death and Myth resist
  • ex - if using hat, robe, and boots, single shield spells would give an additional 6% school-specific resistance boost
  • Tower Shield, sort of the odd exception, might add 2% universal resistance since it is in the Ice catalogue
for school trap spells:
  • increase ////// accuracy percentages by 3%
  • ex - if using hat, robe, and boots, you will get 18% accuracy boost for learning Storm Trap and Windstorm
  • Balance weakness would count as a learned trap (3% to Balance accuracy)

edited after feedback from Gabriel/mmoluvr

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
To the OP,

Thank you for your 2nd post as your idea makes much more sense to me.

The fact that the gear boosts would only affect the spells I learned from my trainer in WC wouldn't help me much as I tend to use my higher Pip attack spells. I have a high Power Pip percentage and can hit much harder than opting to use a 4, 5, or 6 Pip attack spell with no Blade/Trap and just the damage boost from my gear. I realize certain fights it is preferred to use lower Pip attack spells, as this is the tried and proven strategy to insure a victory.

Based on the fact that your idea gives boosts per Training Point used in an alternate school, this would benefit some more than others; especially regarding AE spells. For example, Myth has two trainable AE spells, so does the same boost apply to Humungofrog if the player chose to spend 9 points in order to acquire Earthquake? The Balance school is the earliest available AE spell, so anyone wanting to learn Sandstorm would actually not receive the same boost percentage based on where KI decided to make the spell available.

I didn't understand your explanation on the shield benefit; is the percentage increased per point? While this would add a tremendous amount of resistance many players would love, I can see PVP players even more frustrated with a system that already receives so much negativity.

I love the though of another way to gain accuracy and decrease the fizzle factor, but noone can learn Hex Trap, and Life Trap is learned outside of Ravenwood so no benefit there, even when so many players have Life as a secondary school.

You have a great possible idea for Wizard101, and it's thinking like this that gives opportunities for game developers to implement new ways to maintain their loyal fan base, as well as acquire new ones.

Thank you,

Gabriel

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Thanks, Gabriel. Updated post to attempt to clarify.

Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
I think this should be implemented, good idea!