Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Set, set, and...set

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Topic says it all. PvP is going well out of hand with people setting their gear, decks, pets, amulets, and TC's before they click "Go To Arena". I have been doing ranked PvP and have not had one match in several weeks where my opponent didn't set for a Balance. It's getting frustrating. Every match I hop into, I'm facing massive Balance block rating, massive Balance resist, Balance mastery amulet with a fury of cloaked Balance dispels, a pet with Balance resist talents, and a huge record of going second. PvP this way isn't fun, even if you end up winning.

KI, I think you need to change how the ranked queue system works. I think it should say the number of people who are in the queue but not show their names, schools, rank, or level in 1v1. Why? Because a very cheap thing called "watching the queue" is getting quite popular in the Arena, and I'm beginning to think that most people on the leaderboard just set their way to the top, which isn't fair. Either make it so once the queue asks you to go to the Arena that you can't access your spellbook or make it so you can't see who is in the queue, and possibly make a 3rd age PvP where it really takes 100% card play to get to the top, not gear sets. Anybody else agree?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i agree with this.

i have heard of 'watching the queue'; in fact, i downranked to captain from commander because of it. it seemed that my opponents were a little too prepared: not for just any pyromancer, but for me specifically. i have won in a few rare scenarios, but is still frustrating, no matter how you slice it.

i once found an article/blog/thing from someone on duelist101 condoning the practice. don't know why schools even need to appear in the queue, except to encourage cheating.

i, too, would like to see a 3rd age that relies less on dumb luck/pay-to-win. skill and strategy, not cash, should win duels.

-von
34 captain

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
I entirely agree. Strategic deck construction and preparation is becoming nonexistent. 'Oh, I'm likely facing Balance! Time to load the dispels...'

Explorer
Dec 24, 2009
I have quit PvP so this idea of setting your equipment, spells, etc. is new to me. I'm not surprised it has started and I agree with what you're saying. I wish the fighting in this game in general was more strategy based, not hoping for a power pip or waiting for a certain spell to come up, but it's too late to change the battle system now. Complaints about the battle system aside, I don't understand why they bother showing all the players looking for a match, other than looking for friends to join, at all. All it leads to is exploitation of a flawed system, which leads to warlords without a lot of skill. I'm not making a blanket statement saying all warlords have no skill, I'm just saying it makes no sense to find a wizard weaker than I am that's a warlord, without the advances in celestial magic that I have while I am at private. I've got a list of complaints with PvP, but they're all like a rank 6 fire spell: irrelephant.

Richard BattleStone lvl 86

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Dr Von on Sep 9, 2014 wrote:
i agree with this.

i have heard of 'watching the queue'; in fact, i downranked to captain from commander because of it. it seemed that my opponents were a little too prepared: not for just any pyromancer, but for me specifically. i have won in a few rare scenarios, but is still frustrating, no matter how you slice it.

i once found an article/blog/thing from someone on duelist101 condoning the practice. don't know why schools even need to appear in the queue, except to encourage cheating.

i, too, would like to see a 3rd age that relies less on dumb luck/pay-to-win. skill and strategy, not cash, should win duels.

-von
34 captain
I agree with PvPKing that watching the queue is unfair and leads to a degraded arena experience. Posts by authors in the Duelist 101 community are their opinions and do not reflect Duelist 101's position. That being said Duelist 101(the site) does not promote this practice and in fact discourages it(as we have pointed out to you in another thread where you made the same claim).

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 13, 2014 wrote:
I agree with PvPKing that watching the queue is unfair and leads to a degraded arena experience. Posts by authors in the Duelist 101 community are their opinions and do not reflect Duelist 101's position. That being said Duelist 101(the site) does not promote this practice and in fact discourages it(as we have pointed out to you in another thread where you made the same claim).
Is there by any chance a guide on Duelist101 that helps you know when people set for you before you go into the PvP match?

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
PvP King on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:
Is there by any chance a guide on Duelist101 that helps you know when people set for you before you go into the PvP match?
I doubt such a guide exists or ever will. Without a patch that blocks player name and school, we're all vulnerable, all the time.

As it is now, I consider high level PvP about as safe as running across an interstate highway while carrying five bowling balls. You might get lucky, but more than likely it's going to be a disaster.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
PvP King on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:
PvP King,

There is a Duelest Side community Board that has a 1v1 Death Jade Guide that discusses setting for
different Wizards. I have even heard several comments about how well it is written and how well it covers
setting up for other wizards (Like Balance, Ice, etc).
I took a look at it, and it is well written, and does cover setting by watching the Que.
You should take a look at it, the details are kind of scary.... he has it all covered very well.

Lucas, 5 bowling balls, that gave me a solid laugh, just great.

Survivor
May 01, 2013
PvP King on Sep 7, 2014 wrote:
Topic says it all. PvP is going well out of hand with people setting their gear, decks, pets, amulets, and TC's before they click "Go To Arena". I have been doing ranked PvP and have not had one match in several weeks where my opponent didn't set for a Balance. It's getting frustrating. Every match I hop into, I'm facing massive Balance block rating, massive Balance resist, Balance mastery amulet with a fury of cloaked Balance dispels, a pet with Balance resist talents, and a huge record of going second. PvP this way isn't fun, even if you end up winning.

KI, I think you need to change how the ranked queue system works. I think it should say the number of people who are in the queue but not show their names, schools, rank, or level in 1v1. Why? Because a very cheap thing called "watching the queue" is getting quite popular in the Arena, and I'm beginning to think that most people on the leaderboard just set their way to the top, which isn't fair. Either make it so once the queue asks you to go to the Arena that you can't access your spellbook or make it so you can't see who is in the queue, and possibly make a 3rd age PvP where it really takes 100% card play to get to the top, not gear sets. Anybody else agree?
i agree with this as i am a 1200 rank i lose allot now because people are setting on me everytime i am in que
i have been playing wizard101 for years now and 2nd age should become in the leaderboard and 3rd age in pvp

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
PvP King,

Sorry, I misread your posting, then I posted, then reread yours and realized my error.