Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spamming etiquette, to spam or not to spam

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 02, 2014
So I have seen a few arguments amongst pvpers complaining of spammers. Mostly in context to heal spammers and or shield spammers. I've also heard of mana spamming, dispel, juju & cloaks as well.

Is there some unwritten etiquette on the use of subsequent cards?

Is there some invisible rule of polite warfare with a number-in your opinion- and if so what is that number?

Do "spammers" irritate you?

Are you a "spammer" yourself?

Just curious, thanks for your input.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I love this post, it's just perfect and one of the things that bother me the most.

Even though I use to just say GG, the reporting has gotten out of hand, so I
had to even quit dong that. I've even been reported for winning, in which
they say I used a glitch (wish I knew what the glitch was....).

If I use four Loremaster in the match, I am a spammer.
If I put up five shields in the match, I am a spammer.
If I Mana burn, and I will when I see four pips, I am a spammer.
The list goes on and on, and it's not just noobs that call me a spammer,
it's players that have solid ranks, 1200 or better.

I carry four Mana burn and I carry four Loremaster, that is it.
To listen to the whinners at the end of the match, you would think I
carry the max allowed and used every one of them......

Often I will accumulate three LoreMasters and use them one after the other.
You should hear the comments fly after that move.... wow.

Is there some unwritten etiquette on spamming, Yes.... but it's different in
everyone's head it seems. As far as I'm concerned, it's just part of the
game I need to deal with.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Oh yes. I have gone up against two grandmaster overlords, and all they do is legend shield, legend shield, legend shield legend shield, ooh you used a poison under shrike so it actually does damage against my 50% resist, better satyr, shield, shield, shield... It got to the point where I was out of spells and kept passing but this guy just kept casting shields, shields, shields, even though i was at like 300 health and he could easily kill me. I applaud the use of skill or strategy in the arena. Spamming shields is neither.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
If Ki didn't want spamming to be allowed, it would not be allowed. To the people who complain about it: its legal and fair.

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
FrelaB on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
So I have seen a few arguments amongst pvpers complaining of spammers. Mostly in context to heal spammers and or shield spammers. I've also heard of mana spamming, dispel, juju & cloaks as well.

Is there some unwritten etiquette on the use of subsequent cards?

Is there some invisible rule of polite warfare with a number-in your opinion- and if so what is that number?

Do "spammers" irritate you?

Are you a "spammer" yourself?

Just curious, thanks for your input.
Spammers do get me annoyed to a point but it's only because they tend to foil my own plans and I can respect that. They're doing something that helps them to win and also disrupt the opponent... In the arena people profess to want polite warfare and complain when their own standards of it aren't followed. I don't know how many times I've said it but very few will actually follow those standards. They can and will do what they can to win and hey, if spamming does that then go ahead to spam to your hearts content! If you get a complaint from me it's not meant to be taken seriously, I'm only annoyed for a bit of time but I'll not hold it against you

Explorer
Jun 28, 2009
First off yeah I'm a spammer I spam lore master, but I do get sick of some people calling me a spammer when I have only used like one or 2 the entire match. If I use like 20 them yeah call me spammer.

Like today I played some life guy I used lore twice then killed him with judge he called me a noob spammer said I had no skill even thou he used 4 luminous weavers, so wt does that not make him a noob spammer?

For me some one is a spammer when he's uses the same card at least more then 3 times or 4. Although yeah it is annoying I don't feel people should be rude and insult the guy. When losing to a spammer

A spammer also sticks to about one card the entire match using it over and over, pretty much they hardly use any other card to attack. So if I use lore then scorpion, lore , judge. I shouldn't be hearing spammer at the end of the fight if I use lore, lore, lore, lore, judge. Yeah sure label me spammer cause I did spam.

Explorer
Feb 02, 2014
Interesting points brought up. The complaining of spammer does usually happen when an opponent loses, so if spamming can help you win, why is this not considered a viably fair strategy?

Defender
Jun 24, 2009
FrelaB on Aug 28, 2014 wrote:
Interesting points brought up. The complaining of spammer does usually happen when an opponent loses, so if spamming can help you win, why is this not considered a viably fair strategy?
It's the same reason why people claim TC are unfair even though they can use them as well. People don't like losing but they'd rather attribute losses to external factors(aka TC, spamming, shield, heals) than realize their strategy might need some fixing. In my opinion any strategy short of hacking or puppeting is fair game if it works well(which means you win using it). The job of the opponent is to find a way to work around it, it is not the job of the player to make it easy for the opponent.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Joshua Starflame on Aug 28, 2014 wrote:
It's the same reason why people claim TC are unfair even though they can use them as well. People don't like losing but they'd rather attribute losses to external factors(aka TC, spamming, shield, heals) than realize their strategy might need some fixing. In my opinion any strategy short of hacking or puppeting is fair game if it works well(which means you win using it). The job of the opponent is to find a way to work around it, it is not the job of the player to make it easy for the opponent.
I agree. Well said.

PVP is a competition, not a tea ceremony. While I think it is appropriate to consider "etiquette" when it comes to how we speak to our opponents -- not insulting or being rude -- I don't think it really applies that much to actual game play. Spamming, TC, weakness, pets, gear -- these are all part of the mix. Some of the PVP tactics are difficult to beat and may not be all that elegant -- like spamming, or uber-super-healing pets, or even jade gear -- but they are still legitimate within the rules of the game as it is. So our job as players is to find ways to beat those tactics when we encounter them.

In competitions, winners find ways to raise their level of play to meet whatever obstacle the others throw at them. If you are occupying your energy with what you consider your version of "fair etiquette", you are going to get clobbered by the other player who is going all-out to win.

Defender
Apr 08, 2011
Spammers don't really bother me. Obviously, if you're healing every single round it's annoying. But I've healed myself maybe 2 or 3 times in a match when I was extremely low on health every time and was called a "heal spammer," which I thought as pretty ridiculous but oh well.

Melissa Daydreamer