Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tempest damage

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 16, 2009
I believe there may be a discrepancy in the amount of damage/pip with the Storm school's Tempest spell.

My wizard has 131 damage boost and somewhere in the neighborhood of 455 critical rating. If I cast a single power pip Tempest enhanced with colossal and the hit is critical, my damage is 1992 provided there are no other boosts or reductions applied (i.e. a Myth target or Storm Shield).

However, I have noticed that if I cast the same spell with 2 power pips, the hit is critical and the rest of the aforementioned conditions apply the damage is only slightly over 3000. I haven't been ambitious enough to check damages using more pips yet.

Given that a critical hit should double my damage, I think it is safe to say that something is not adding up. I haven't actually done the math to see if I am getting too much damage with the single power pip or not enough damage with 2 of them, but either way it seems that there is an issue with this spell's damage.

I just wondered if any other Storm players have noticed this. I skimmed through the first 20 pages of the Lab and didn't run across any mention of it.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Your damage isn't doubling, because it isn't doubling. Normally, your tempest would do 160 base with 1 power pip and 320 base with 2 power pips, but you used Colossal. Colossal will bump the damages up to 435 and 595, respectively, so the damage sounds spot on to me.

Survivor
Dec 06, 2009
I somewhat know what you're saying. today i noticed it seems like everyone elses tempest is stronger with less pips than me. me and another player cast two different tempest with three pips and his was 1000 while mine was alot less, i don't know if i've missed something or i'm just being dumb.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2014
If i am correct you should only be doing 1289.2 damage with a single power pip + colossal + critical, not 1992.

I have the OP problem 80 per pip x 6 pips (without any gear on) = 480 But with my 45% damage gear it will do 1113 (with no blades or critical) Last time i checked 480+45% = 619 (correct me if i am wrong)

There must be some kind of other formula they use to calculate the damage outcome.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Angel Lightbringer on Aug 23, 2014 wrote:
I believe there may be a discrepancy in the amount of damage/pip with the Storm school's Tempest spell.

My wizard has 131 damage boost and somewhere in the neighborhood of 455 critical rating. If I cast a single power pip Tempest enhanced with colossal and the hit is critical, my damage is 1992 provided there are no other boosts or reductions applied (i.e. a Myth target or Storm Shield).

However, I have noticed that if I cast the same spell with 2 power pips, the hit is critical and the rest of the aforementioned conditions apply the damage is only slightly over 3000. I haven't been ambitious enough to check damages using more pips yet.

Given that a critical hit should double my damage, I think it is safe to say that something is not adding up. I haven't actually done the math to see if I am getting too much damage with the single power pip or not enough damage with 2 of them, but either way it seems that there is an issue with this spell's damage.

I just wondered if any other Storm players have noticed this. I skimmed through the first 20 pages of the Lab and didn't run across any mention of it.
1 power pip = 160 base damage + 275 colossal * 2.31 * 2 = 2010
2 power pip = 320 base damage + 275 colossal * 2.31 * 2 = 2749

Survivor
Dec 16, 2009
@Robobot: I should pay closer attention to what I type when I am starving for sleep. Simply put, I believe I am getting far more damage out of this spell than I should be.

@Blake: I do not know the formula used to calculate damage for this spell, either. I would think that it would be simple and straightforward, however. Perhaps something along the lines of Base Damage + Colossal Enhancement multiplied by Damage Boost Percentage and then Doubled for Critical Hit??? I realize this gives no consideration for blades, shields, or school v/s school boosts, etc.

I stumbled across this issue while farming the Loremaster. Starting a battle with the extra pip from my Shadow deck, I was wiping out all of the minions on the first hit with damage in the neighborhood of 3100 points from critical strikes. Seemed a bit high, but I have high boost so I didn't question it. Then, with a single power pip I hit for 1992 with no blades, traps, etc. That's when I began to suspect that there was an issue with either my wizard, the spell itself, the way Colossal was being applied, or the way critical hits for this spell were being handled.

Long story short: (A) Is there a problem?
(B) If so, where does it stem from?

Thanks for any advice or input.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Angel Lightbringer on Aug 23, 2014 wrote:

Why are you complaining about this? Honestly, if I could do 3,000 damage with four pips, I'd be happy about it.
Myrna Dragoncloud

Survivor
Dec 16, 2009
Dragoncloud888 on Aug 25, 2014 wrote:
Why are you complaining about this? Honestly, if I could do 3,000 damage with four pips, I'd be happy about it.
Myrna Dragoncloud
I am not complaining. It should be obvious that I am not in the habit of complaining given that I have been playing this game since 2009 and that was the first post I have ever made.

I believe there is something wrong with either the spell or my wizard's use of it. This is a forum for discussion of bugs/problems. I asked a question in hopes of getting an answer related to the issue I was talking about.

Thank you for your unwanted, off-topic comment, though. It reminds me of the reasons why I don't bother to post in community message boards.

Have a wonderful wizardly day

Survivor
Jul 28, 2014
Cyberspaced on Aug 24, 2014 wrote:
I somewhat know what you're saying. today i noticed it seems like everyone elses tempest is stronger with less pips than me. me and another player cast two different tempest with three pips and his was 1000 while mine was alot less, i don't know if i've missed something or i'm just being dumb.
One of you probably had more damage than the other or some enchantment on it