Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Satyr Woth Training?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Hi Everyone,
I'd like some feedback, especially from other Life Wizards.
My Life Wizard, Rowan Willowgrove, has just earned her Level 48 pet Satyr. My original plan was to train it to adult and hopefully have its Spritely talent manifest, then I was going to hatch it with my Storm Wizard's Stormzilla to hopefully get a Storm Warden (The hybrid that looks like a Satyr but has storm colours.)
The only thing really holding me back is the amount of selfish talents that Level 48 pets have, by hatching with a Stormzilla I may get selfish talents instead of the Storm talents (Storm is my secondary school.)
I'd like to hear from anyone who has faced this dillema and any suggestions for hatching my Satyr with other Storm or Life pets for a decent pet.
Thanks everyone
on behalf or Rowan Willowgrove Lvl 48

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Enlightened One on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
My Life Wizard, Rowan Willowgrove, has just earned her Level 48 pet Satyr. My original plan was to train it to adult and hopefully have its Spritely talent manifest, then I was going to hatch it with my Storm Wizard's Stormzilla to hopefully get a Storm Warden (The hybrid that looks like a Satyr but has storm colours.)
The only thing really holding me back is the amount of selfish talents that Level 48 pets have, by hatching with a Stormzilla I may get selfish talents instead of the Storm talents (Storm is my secondary school.)
I'd like to hear from anyone who has faced this dillema and any suggestions for hatching my Satyr with other Storm or Life pets for a decent pet.
Thanks everyone
I would not train the Satyr pet past adult. If you want a hybrid as you stated, then I would hatch the two until you get the hybrid. Once you have the hybrid only train it to adult, then start hatching with pets that have the talents you want. Eventually, you will get a decent pet.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Hello Enlightened One (amazing name, might I say),
To answer your question, I should probably give you some advice first. Only train your pet if you have the time and patience to do it, and don't expect success right away. I am a Theurgist as well, and I trained my Satyr up to around Ancient, I believe. The difference in you and I, however, is that I had the old version of the pet, so I didn't have any chances with Spritely. I trained my Satyr before Spritely even existed! Now, you may wonder why I took so much time and effort to do it. Simply answered, I was proud and I loved the designs of the hybrids.
So, to answer your question if you skipped that paragraph, I believe you should definitely train your Satyr, but do it when you are ready. Some amazing hybrids come out of that pet (one of my personal favourites being the Jade Hound)!
Best of luck!

~Shannon Skybreaker

Survivor
Nov 25, 2009
Most pets come with a lot of selfish talents. I never train a pet past adult before I've hatched it at least 4 times with a better pet. As for a Satyr pet, like you said, a Life player does not need another Satyr in deck (or the 5% pips which gen. #1 lvl 48 pets give), but the hybrid can be very helpful for other player schools when those players do not have Satyr trained.

If, as sounds possible, your goal is just to get a Satyr card in the deck of your Storm player, then I'd NOT train up the Satyr past adult. I'd hatch it with the Stormzilla, and train that pet to adult, then try again. If a pet for a Storm is your goal, keep using the newest pet for you hatches with the Zilla. Good luck.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Thanks everyone
Personally I did train my Satyr but it did not get Spritely, I tried a few hatches with my Fierce hound to get it with no luck. Since I already had a Fierce hound I just kept using that until my Forest Lord pet that did get spritely after a few hatches, was used. I also found the constant dance the Satyr does distracting.

Now that was back when pets weren't what they are now, spritely was the only healing may cast. Now many get a decent base pet with maybe one or two talents they want and hatch with other pets to get all the talents they want in one pet, many times the pet you end up with isn't the same school as you are. Most of my wizards now have an enchanted armament pet and frankinbunny, armor for solo or not helping others and bunny in groups for the 2 healing cards it gives. I have hatched into them spell proof, unicorn, fairy friend or energizing battery. Hatching out unwanted or selfish talents takes a lot of time and scrapped pets.

Mary

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
All school pets stink, in my opinion. They require at least a few generation of hatching out the selfish talents before even considering them at a useable pet. I personally find non-school pets with a good card to be more useful as a base. I like Enchanted Armament for it's 3 free Sharpen Blade cards. School pets are really only useful for hatching 1-2 talents into your good pets.

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
if it knows it and you are a life wizard, i would suggest you get pixie instead.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Shannon Skybreaker on Aug 10, 2014 wrote:
Hello Enlightened One (amazing name, might I say),
To answer your question, I should probably give you some advice first. Only train your pet if you have the time and patience to do it, and don't expect success right away. I am a Theurgist as well, and I trained my Satyr up to around Ancient, I believe. The difference in you and I, however, is that I had the old version of the pet, so I didn't have any chances with Spritely. I trained my Satyr before Spritely even existed! Now, you may wonder why I took so much time and effort to do it. Simply answered, I was proud and I loved the designs of the hybrids.
So, to answer your question if you skipped that paragraph, I believe you should definitely train your Satyr, but do it when you are ready. Some amazing hybrids come out of that pet (one of my personal favourites being the Jade Hound)!
Best of luck!

~Shannon Skybreaker
Hi Shannon
Thank you for the compliment and your advice.
With much consideration I've decided against training my Satyr for the following reasons:
ATM I have less the 100k in gold which will soon be eaten up with hatching and snack costs.
In another ten levels I will earn my Forrest Lord (can't wait for that!) which is a much better pet and also by that level I will have acquired much more gold and snacks.
I do currently have a few pets with heal, those being, a storm hawk (kindly lent out by my Storm Wizard lol), a Samoori and a Yuletide Spirit.
I would be very interested to hear of your (and everyone else's) experiences training a Forrest Lord. I'm hoping to hatch this pet with my Kraken (which thankfully does have Spritely) so hopefully my Forrest Lord will manifest Spritely and I will get the white coated Life/Kraken hybrid (sorry can't recall it's name.)
Any help/advice is always extremely welcome
Enlightened One on behalf of Rowan Willowgrove

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
Hi Shannon
Thank you for the compliment and your advice.
With much consideration I've decided against training my Satyr for the following reasons:
ATM I have less the 100k in gold which will soon be eaten up with hatching and snack costs.
In another ten levels I will earn my Forrest Lord (can't wait for that!) which is a much better pet and also by that level I will have acquired much more gold and snacks.
I do currently have a few pets with heal, those being, a storm hawk (kindly lent out by my Storm Wizard lol), a Samoori and a Yuletide Spirit.
I would be very interested to hear of your (and everyone else's) experiences training a Forrest Lord. I'm hoping to hatch this pet with my Kraken (which thankfully does have Spritely) so hopefully my Forrest Lord will manifest Spritely and I will get the white coated Life/Kraken hybrid (sorry can't recall it's name.)
Any help/advice is always extremely welcome
Enlightened One on behalf of Rowan Willowgrove
I had to hatch in Spritely into my Forest Lord. I do have a Cloud Beast with Spritely which also took a hatch to get.

Altho Seethe42 said it a little harshly, I have to agree the school of the pet doesn't make it useful, they are all laden with selfish talents. I intend on keeping my Frankinbunny with it's 2 healing cards, for group battling and Enchanted for solo/2 person battles. I am just waiting for the day KI axes those handy dandy sharpens though.

I know we have tried to meet up here but I can't tell time right. Do you have a central acct.?

Not sure if you are interested but a recent hatch netted me a Leaf Foot which now so far has Unicorn and Fairy Friend? I also have a Sea Turtle but Pierce showed up in him.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Pet:Leaf_Foot

It is from a hatch with my Armor pet that has Spell Proof, Unicorn and Fairy Friend manifested.

Mary

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Generally any pet you like is worth training, but only to adult so you can hatch in better talents.

The chance of getting all good talents on a first generation is slim to none, depending on the pet, so pick the one you most want and work to improve it. Getting good pets depends mostly on hatching with good pets, and having enough snacks and gold to hatch and train repeatedly.

Invest (via buying or farming) in some good seeds. A healthy garden is the best route to gold and mega snacks, and you'll need those when it's time to train to higher levels.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
I had to hatch in Spritely into my Forest Lord. I do have a Cloud Beast with Spritely which also took a hatch to get.

Altho Seethe42 said it a little harshly, I have to agree the school of the pet doesn't make it useful, they are all laden with selfish talents. I intend on keeping my Frankinbunny with it's 2 healing cards, for group battling and Enchanted for solo/2 person battles. I am just waiting for the day KI axes those handy dandy sharpens though.

I know we have tried to meet up here but I can't tell time right. Do you have a central acct.?

Not sure if you are interested but a recent hatch netted me a Leaf Foot which now so far has Unicorn and Fairy Friend? I also have a Sea Turtle but Pierce showed up in him.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Pet:Leaf_Foot

It is from a hatch with my Armor pet that has Spell Proof, Unicorn and Fairy Friend manifested.

Mary
Hi Mary,
After doing some more pet research on Central I have to agree with Seethe and others that hybrid pets don't offer much better skills etc. Most skills involve accurracy, damage percentage etc.
I often forget that a school pet may not manifest Spritely, mainly due to seeing all the wizards in the hatchery that have pets with multiple heals and then forgetting how much work they must have put into getting those skills.
The very first pet I purchased, Lord Varden, is a Spirit Of Nature. I kept training him because back then I was such a noob I believed t was only a matter of when Spritely manifested not if. Despite this, he has proven to be a great pet with MC Lifeblade, MC Pierce, health and gives a Spirit Of Nature Card. I am currently using him in Dragonspyre since I've just learnt Rebirth meaning I now have a new healing spell.
Mary, I think Lord Varden would be a perfect candidate to hatch with your Leaf Foot since Lord Varden has Spritely in his pool and your Leaf Foot has two heals already there is a good chance one may manifest.
I remember meeting up with you and hatching with your Deer Knight n Vampire Realm, we could do that again if it's ok.
How About:
Friday 15th Aug (which is your Thursday 14th Aug)
9pm 101 time (the time they usually close for mainenace which is 6pm my time)
Just let me know if this is ok then look for Rowan Willowgrove by the Lamp post outside the hatchery.
Hope To See You
Mike

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
Hi Mary,
After doing some more pet research on Central I have to agree with Seethe and others that hybrid pets don't offer much better skills etc. Most skills involve accurracy, damage percentage etc.
I often forget that a school pet may not manifest Spritely, mainly due to seeing all the wizards in the hatchery that have pets with multiple heals and then forgetting how much work they must have put into getting those skills.
The very first pet I purchased, Lord Varden, is a Spirit Of Nature. I kept training him because back then I was such a noob I believed t was only a matter of when Spritely manifested not if. Despite this, he has proven to be a great pet with MC Lifeblade, MC Pierce, health and gives a Spirit Of Nature Card. I am currently using him in Dragonspyre since I've just learnt Rebirth meaning I now have a new healing spell.
Mary, I think Lord Varden would be a perfect candidate to hatch with your Leaf Foot since Lord Varden has Spritely in his pool and your Leaf Foot has two heals already there is a good chance one may manifest.
I remember meeting up with you and hatching with your Deer Knight n Vampire Realm, we could do that again if it's ok.
How About:
Friday 15th Aug (which is your Thursday 14th Aug)
9pm 101 time (the time they usually close for mainenace which is 6pm my time)
Just let me know if this is ok then look for Rowan Willowgrove by the Lamp post outside the hatchery.
Hope To See You
Mike
Actually it was another board poster that got the time right. I am the unworldly one, lol.

I will give this a shot. Wizard time is Central US time so will judge around that. I have the day before down pat now so will give this a try.

Other wise if you have a central acct. I could pm you a tfc.

Mary

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Aug 13, 2014 wrote:
Actually it was another board poster that got the time right. I am the unworldly one, lol.

I will give this a shot. Wizard time is Central US time so will judge around that. I have the day before down pat now so will give this a try.

Other wise if you have a central acct. I could pm you a tfc.

Mary
See you then Mary, I've gotta have more luck hatching with your Leaf Foot, I just spent a fortune on Crowns buying Shaman's Pack trying to get one of my own as a back up with no luck lol.
See you soon
Mike

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Enlightened One on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
See you then Mary, I've gotta have more luck hatching with your Leaf Foot, I just spent a fortune on Crowns buying Shaman's Pack trying to get one of my own as a back up with no luck lol.
See you soon
Mike
Again I must have gotten the time wrong. I checked every hour and waited at least 15 mins, from 6 to 9 pm my time and didn't meet up with you.

I am Northernlites on Central if you have an account there I can pm you a friend code. I would really like to help you with your pets getting healing and am failing this way.

Mary

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
9:00pm Thursday CDT is Noon Friday AEST if that's what you are trying to coordinate.

W101Central is easier. It's in real time & has messaging as Mary said. I also recommend that site for setting up hatching meetings.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Northlite on Aug 15, 2014 wrote:
Again I must have gotten the time wrong. I checked every hour and waited at least 15 mins, from 6 to 9 pm my time and didn't meet up with you.

I am Northernlites on Central if you have an account there I can pm you a friend code. I would really like to help you with your pets getting healing and am failing this way.

Mary
Hi Mary
Yes I think we may have been a little off in our timing. I was in Vampire realm yesterday (Friday here) at 6pm my time but didn't see you either I changed realms just in case you were somewhere else but no luck .
So If I set up an account at Central 101 I will be able to search for Northernlites and send you a message is that correct.?
That will be very convienient for meetings