Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Final dungeon is everything wrong with this game.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 21, 2012
I think the main problem is the length of time, not the difficulty, if it's the final boss, of course it's gonna difficult, I think that's to be expected.

Survivor
Feb 09, 2014
Dr Von on Jul 27, 2014 wrote:
Last night, I took my first wizard through end game. I had two good friends with me; we blew through the galleries in about 45 minutes, and then went to see Morganthe.

Oh. My. God.

Between all the cheat casts and other insanity, we were in there for almost 2 hours. We all died about 4 times each and spent more time keeping ourselves and each other alive than actually doing any damage, since our pets were practically asleep at the switch. And, afterward, we were all physically exhausted: 'it feels like I just ran a marathon' and 'my brain is fried' were just a couple of phrases tossed around.

We are all veteran players, all with good pets and the best gear available. There is no way we should have struggled like that, which makes me wonder how the game is going to sustain itself; it's going to reach a point where people no longer have the time or resources needed to complete such instances, and they will leave.

I get it, KI: you're trying to attract the hardcore set; people who have the best of everything and a full list of friends to play with at all hours, who probably find this sort of thing 'easy'. But, in doing so, you guys have completely alienated your casual player base... the target audience, the ones this game is marketed to and was supposedly made for, and who don't have all of those things.

But it's not fun anymore; it's work. And, unless something drastic changes in the next few months, I will be hanging up my wizard hats and leaving the Spiral in search of a stress-free game: one in which I can mindlessly blow off steam after a crappy day at the office and that doesn't require me to put in job-like hours.

Come on, KI. You know I love you guys, and I wouldn't be saying any of this if I didn't care about the future of the game. You can do better than that.

-von
Go to Duelist101.com and search Morganthe, there is a strategy in there that makes it quick and easy, I can beat her in less 10 minutes

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
glowstorm13 on Jul 29, 2014 wrote:
I actually think that the game loses its fun somewhere in zafaria. So far I have taken two wizards through and the game easily gets boring with the cheating and defeat and collects. I end up starting new wizards, having fun up to Drum Jungle, and then getting completely bored. Can someone say something if avalon is actually fun because if not, I'm probably quitting on my storm who is at the first quest there.
Sarai Thunderstrider
Transcendent
Amber
Initiate
Hello there,
Firstly, Avalon is an excellent world with castles, medieval storyline, knights, kings, it's the whole package so I recommend going there. Secondly, I think the difficulty is fine as it is. All you have to do is find a new strategy. My team of 4 can kill in 4 rounds, provided there are no stuns or whatnot. Wait till you farm Morganthe for the new amulets, them It'll be an absolute nightmare. Drop rates are even more ridiculous than Hades, which is pretty unrealistic. Anyway back on topic, you probably just got really unlucky, that's all.

Explorer
Apr 26, 2010
Have to say that I agree with Von. I am a casual player who does not have time to spend hours and hours farming for the best of the best gear. Does that stop me from wanting to compete at the top level? no. I think that we should be able to have access to the best gear by a challenging fight, yes, but not over 100 challenging fights and still not having the gear drop. Also, you cannot assume that every fight that is 'easy' for you will be 'easy' for everyone else. Maybe we are just not as hardcore as you but that does not make us any less of players. There are over 40 million people that play this game. The majority of them are casual people just looking for a good time. Sorry if this offends anyone, but had to support Von here.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013
Dr Von on Jul 27, 2014 wrote:
Last night, I took my first wizard through end game. I had two good friends with me; we blew through the galleries in about 45 minutes, and then went to see Morganthe.

Oh. My. God.

Between all the cheat casts and other insanity, we were in there for almost 2 hours. We all died about 4 times each and spent more time keeping ourselves and each other alive than actually doing any damage, since our pets were practically asleep at the switch. And, afterward, we were all physically exhausted: 'it feels like I just ran a marathon' and 'my brain is fried' were just a couple of phrases tossed around.

We are all veteran players, all with good pets and the best gear available. There is no way we should have struggled like that, which makes me wonder how the game is going to sustain itself; it's going to reach a point where people no longer have the time or resources needed to complete such instances, and they will leave.

I get it, KI: you're trying to attract the hardcore set; people who have the best of everything and a full list of friends to play with at all hours, who probably find this sort of thing 'easy'. But, in doing so, you guys have completely alienated your casual player base... the target audience, the ones this game is marketed to and was supposedly made for, and who don't have all of those things.

But it's not fun anymore; it's work. And, unless something drastic changes in the next few months, I will be hanging up my wizard hats and leaving the Spiral in search of a stress-free game: one in which I can mindlessly blow off steam after a crappy day at the office and that doesn't require me to put in job-like hours.

Come on, KI. You know I love you guys, and I wouldn't be saying any of this if I didn't care about the future of the game. You can do better than that.

-von
I, for one, agree that the game just gets harder and harder. I mean, it's supposed to get harder, but then you have good enough gear and pets and spells to make up for that.
Also, this game should be relaxing and fun, but since some dungeons take four hours or more, it's starting to seem like the opposite. It's a game, and I think we shouldn't be forced to play for like four hours straight in order to progress through the game
Really, people have other stuff to do and they just don't have time like that most of them.
Myrna Dragoncloud

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
the game is still fine. I did galleries solo on my death I did not use crowns or anything. it did took me 3 hours its the hardest solo at this point in the game and i have done everything solo thus far excpet for the new cup bundle on max have not even played it.

so being all the game is still solable , its not too hard. whats hard is the failed drop rate system on morganthe and hades i wont even waste my time farming that junk or keep a subscription because of it.

pagoda and winter are tough on max setting solo but galleries is a bit tougher. Hades and morganthe are simple in compairson :)

I would not want to try it on any other class than death however :)

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
What I would LOVE to see is a setting so you can solo boss instances. I would gladly take a drop in loot to even a point where you get NO loot but finish the boss and the quest line so you can move on to the next world when it comes out.

I am a solo player most of the time and I have spent a ton of money on crowns just so I can move on to the next places.

The team up buttons are great except as soon as the next world is here no one bothers with the older team ups.. Found this out when my daughter and I were trying to do Jaber in avalon..

We just really really need a 'solo' option for boss instences...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
well, i did it. i cancelled both subs. and here's what i told ki:

"it's just too much; i want to enjoy the game, but it has closed its doors to the average player."

until now, i hadn't logged into the boards in at least a month, and it's been longer since i actually played the game. my friends and i have moved onto other stuff that's less stressful and not a complete mental drain.

i took one wizard through end-game; therefore, i accomplished what i set out to do. despite all of this, i hope against hope that the game will one day be fun again. i would love nothing more than to enjoy it the way i used to.

-von

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Dr Von on Sep 1, 2014 wrote:

"it's just too much; i want to enjoy the game, but it has closed its doors to the average player."

until now, i hadn't logged into the boards in at least a month, and it's been longer since i actually played the game. my friends and i have moved onto other stuff that's less stressful and not a complete mental drain.

i took one wizard through end-game; therefore, i accomplished what i set out to do. despite all of this, i hope against hope that the game will one day be fun again. i would love nothing more than to enjoy it the way i used to.

-von
Well Von,

I for one am sorry to hear this, though I do understand it. Lately I have just been playing my lower level wizards, where I still seem to enjoy it.

But it would be very nice to have some new, lower stress, nice family game play -- I would even love new side worlds aimed at lower level wizards.

Anyway, peek in at the message boards from time to time and say hello, if you get a chance!

--Finn

Mastermind
Dec 05, 2012
i like chalenges and plus she is not really that hard

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
I agree with this. W101 has become a mighty chore.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010

-von
I personally think the bar has been set on the directions of the game and there is really no going back to it being a whimsical wizardly adventure game it starts out as.

I give you credit for at least getting one wizard though since I can even seem to bring myself to that and have been questing with lower level wizards which wears on me in Avalon since I dread the ending area from the Lake on.

Not being a gamer type to begin with, I have casually looked for another game but really don't feel like breaking another one in etc.. so probably will just end my online gaming all together.

I have been questing less, posting or even bothering with the boards here less. I have taken to Central and done quite a few pet hatches since I feel I want to spread them around as much as I can while here.

Mary

Archon
Oct 24, 2010

-von
I too am sorry to see you go... but totally understand.

I hope when KI sees that their core players - players who have played for years - are leaving they will finally pay attention. I have very little hope of this, though.

My subs end at the end of the year and if things do not change, and quickly, another 'core' member will be gone.

I am only playing wizards through Dragonspyre and then delete them. Why would I pay to do that for another year?

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
Awwww man. :(

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Legendary Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Master Sorcerer
Sabrina Boomblossom, Adept Theurgist

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

-von
Well, Von, I did it, too. I cancelled all four of my memberships (2-W101 and 2-P101). I never thought I would, but I think I've had enough for now. It's a shame, because I do love this game so much, but right now, it's become an extreme tedious chore to play.

At least I have one that finished the current content, one is almost at the end, one just starting Khrysalis, and others not far behind. I'm burned out. I'm tired of the long dungeons, trying to figure out decks, not getting what I need, the rinse and repeat quests, no real variety to the game, and the list goes on.

My memberships end in Oct and one in Nov. If I feel the urge to play, I may do a membership for a month or so. That's it.

Brynn -

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
My dear Dr Von,

I'm very sad to hear you are canceling your Wizard101 Sub, and I wish you the best of luck in your future gaming and RL endeavors. I will miss your honesty, sarcasm, and humor on these message boards.

I have played other MMOs and this one is by far the easiest to play. However, due to my mostly solo play, I have had to throw real money in order to progress through the content, in the form of owning several accounts to form my own group, and/or the occasional henchman.

In any MMO you will find many of the same aspects:
Several forms of "The Grind" for levels, gear, money, and the various "vanity" titles and things.
Multiple personalities, both easy and not-so-easy to get along with.
And, of course, the broken system of the PVP aspect should you choose to subject yourself to that frustration.

I share in much of your frustration Dr Von & others in some of the shortcomings of Wizard101, but I love to play MMOs and I find it is much easier to play this title then others that require 20+ people in order to achieve victory in a "Dungeon".

I have to say that throwing in "Cheats" in a turn-based combat system was genius on KI's part, as it's one of the main topics for discussion on these boards.

If you do continue playing this game genre, you will find some of my opinions ring true and there is no game which pleases all of its subscribers wants/desires.

Should you consider coming back to the game, I play on the Lincoln Realm and in Khrysalis on my wizard PST zone. I realize this is not your ideal time (4 hour difference), but perhaps on weekends, or your days off.

I'm an adult, and "mostly mature" player, progressing at a moderate pace.

Best of luck to you in and out of the Spiral Dr Von!

Gabriel

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Sep 3, 2014 wrote:
Well, Von, I did it, too. I cancelled all four of my memberships (2-W101 and 2-P101). I never thought I would, but I think I've had enough for now. It's a shame, because I do love this game so much, but right now, it's become an extreme tedious chore to play.

At least I have one that finished the current content, one is almost at the end, one just starting Khrysalis, and others not far behind. I'm burned out. I'm tired of the long dungeons, trying to figure out decks, not getting what I need, the rinse and repeat quests, no real variety to the game, and the list goes on.

My memberships end in Oct and one in Nov. If I feel the urge to play, I may do a membership for a month or so. That's it.

Brynn -
Wow!

Super sorry to see this too! I get it, but it really is sad.

It is starting to feel a bit lonely out here in whimsy-friendly land...

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
FinnAgainWindrider on Sep 3, 2014 wrote:
Wow!

Super sorry to see this too! I get it, but it really is sad.

It is starting to feel a bit lonely out here in whimsy-friendly land...
It's sad that I needed to cancel my memberships. Who knows, at some point down the road, I may get revitalized in wanting to play. For right now, if I need to log into the game, at least I can hang out in Wiz City and do some gardening and pet training.

Right now, there's a couple of mmo games that I'm really enjoying. One has no fighting at all (but still, very cool), and another that is a lot more difficult than Wizzy, but it has such a variety, and a huge amount of things to do while you wait for new worlds, it not nearly as grinding as Wizzy, it has stunning graphics and definitely, no pay-to-win clothing in the crown shop.

I might be back for a month or so, here and there. It's hard to leave completely. Like I said, I do love this game and I hope I can get my mojo back to play again soon.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
well, i still have about 3 months left on my membership. so i will pop by the boards until it runs out.

i used to love this game. but i just don't have the patience or job-length hours that are required. i haven't uninstalled the game yet, either~ i bought a few zones for crowns years ago, so if anyone's looking to bother mally, i'm always up for a noob fight.

this was a fun, whimsical, lighthearted game that has lost touch with its core audience. but i will stay in touch with the friends i've made here; i'm still on central (as Von Shadowsong) so feel free to stop by and send me a message.

following the release of azteca, i said that my friends were the only joy i had left in-game and that i would leave when they did. most of my friends are gone, moved onto other games; therefore my time here is at its end.

-von

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
I find it difficult to believe you beat galleries if your struggling on morganthe. this battle is about a 6 round fight with a full team. the cheats are not a big deal in here have your jade turtle go in for first round then all others join after. blade up yor main hitter hopefully a fire then you dont have to fiddle with converts hit and game over. (6-8 blades) and a few traps up all done.

Even with that said everything in the game is still solo-able by death or any other class who wants to put on a set of jade with a good pet.

I have been without a sub since K2 came out no plans on being an ongoing member anymore due to just horrable drop rate system the end game has become.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Sorry, this doesn't make sense. How is the final dungeon in KR 'everything wrong'?? It's one fight with no significant cheats. You can blade stack and take out everything in a few rounds. There are no puzzles, no tedious mobs to get to the boss -- just walk in and fight.

Compare that to the final dungeons of DS, CL, ZF, WT, AV, AZ. All are much longer and more difficult at the levels we get to them.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
masterryan1969 on Sep 6, 2014 wrote:
I find it difficult to believe you beat galleries if your struggling on morganthe. this battle is about a 6 round fight with a full team. the cheats are not a big deal in here have your jade turtle go in for first round then all others join after. blade up yor main hitter hopefully a fire then you dont have to fiddle with converts hit and game over. (6-8 blades) and a few traps up all done.

Even with that said everything in the game is still solo-able by death or any other class who wants to put on a set of jade with a good pet.

I have been without a sub since K2 came out no plans on being an ongoing member anymore due to just horrable drop rate system the end game has become.
What you are talking about is not what the average casual player has. Many that think they can beat Morganthe in a few rounds have a "dream team" that they use over and over again. Not everyone has that. There are many who have not gotten to Morganthe yet, or only ran it once to complete the quest. Not everyone is into farming her. So, those that speak up about "she's so easy", or "you have to have this type of team" are those that farm her and have done it hundreds+ times.

Jade gear isn't the answer. IMO, that's not strategy, that's a form of cheating. It's also Pay-To-Win. You might get the job done using Jade players (jade is actually garbage for PvE), but not everyone can get the gear, afford the gear, or EVER want to use the gear.

Also, players should be able to go into any dungeon and play without too much difficulty. Hoity-toity players tell others to watch the videos, or read the guides. WHY? Why should anyone have to read or watch videos just to make it through a dungeon? To me, that says something. No one should consider this game a job, and study up on getting through the game.

For those that tell casual players to get a perfect "team", or get some great "gear", or buy certain crown items, or watch videos and read guides, need to take the blinders off and take a serious look around them. This is a casual game that should be enjoyed by everyone, not just a select few. Not everyone has what you have, and may never have it. They get by with what they can, and if they ask for help, either in the game or on the boards, they are shot down and criticized. This is one of the reasons why players leave.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
Morganthe is an extremely weird fight when you fight her for the first time. For the first time, You are going to have to struggle in a long term fight with the boss.

Let me explain. The longer you let morganthe live, The larger her pool of shadow pips to shred your resistance and the easier it is for her to deal half of your health in damage. What this means, Is that if you are going to try to burst or spam burst kill this boss you are going to have immense issues.

So you have a Fire / Ice / Storm. Have the fire and ice blade the storm and let the ices feint the boss. Since the ice will be in the fight first, The ice will take most of the initial aggro damage. The storm will hit with a sirens and Since by that time, she will most likely have a shadow pip for shrike so that she can bypass the resistance.

10 card decks each, maybe except for the ice.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
can someone help me finish khrysalis im in wu/ khrysalis and my name flint dragonstrider

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012
If anyone would like to join me in farming morganthe, I usually play in scarecrow realm between 8:30 to 11:30 pm pacific time. Wizards name is Valerian icewraith. If I am not there I might be in already.
Ice is in jade gear with healing pet and rebirth wand. Feints, heals and boosts my storm who will go in with me. Just help me keep storm alive and he can kill. Also can help with tartarus. Adult here offering help.

I hate to see people quit the game over this.