Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is the point of school lures?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
May 21, 2011
Hello. After 45 minutes of trying to do the quest where you have to catch 7 fish (the name escapes me), I still need to catch 4 out of 7 fish. I tried using lures of every school in every location, but i still haven't found these 4 fish. What's the point of using school lures if we just get a fish of another school?

For example, I've used every kind of lure, but I only catch Gaarfish and mainstream dekois (ice and balance). If the school of lure isn't affecting what school of fish I find, what's the point of different lures?

Thanks for your time.

Zachary Stormbane lvl 52

Survivor
Feb 04, 2014
TheScarySwords on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
Hello. After 45 minutes of trying to do the quest where you have to catch 7 fish (the name escapes me), I still need to catch 4 out of 7 fish. I tried using lures of every school in every location, but i still haven't found these 4 fish. What's the point of using school lures if we just get a fish of another school?

For example, I've used every kind of lure, but I only catch Gaarfish and mainstream dekois (ice and balance). If the school of lure isn't affecting what school of fish I find, what's the point of different lures?

Thanks for your time.

Zachary Stormbane lvl 52
The lures just increase the chance of that school from being caught. So I would do reveal fish school then use the lure of the school you want of its school then you will have a better chance of catching. Hope this helps.

Lail MythBane Level 70

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Where else are you fishing? If your only fishing in the commons (sounds like you are by the types you're catching), then you wont catch the others you need. you can fish on several different worlds up to mooshu. Try it out, good luck!

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Lures of the same school are more effective at luring that school from further away and make it easier to land. There is a utility spell to see what school the fish are before you cast. So if you know you are looking for a school fish, you cast the spell to see what schools are in the pool. Then you can cast the lure near the fish, increasing your odds of getting the fish you are looking for instead of getting a random fish.

Defender
Feb 09, 2009
i don't know if you are fishing the right pond, check the quest book. i don't know what type a fish is, i been using the ice lure and i caught all but two fish. one on cyclops and the one on unicorn way, ran out of energy

Delver
Jun 17, 2011
When you use reveal fish school, colors show up. If there is black smoke around the color, it is a dekoi. Let's say a blue/yellow color shows up, that fish is myth. If you use the myth lure and it does not land directly in front of the myth fish, the fish will slightly change course and head towards the lure. If the lure was life (or any other school besides myth) and did not land directly in front of the myth fish, the fish will not head towards this other school lure. Hope this helped!

Grace

Explorer
Jun 10, 2012

Thanks for your time.

Zachary Stormbane lvl 52
I guess the school lures increase your chances for catching their school fish. You have less chance catching an ice fish with a death lure.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I'm stuck on this quest as well~ 2 hours later and I only have 3/7 types of fish, despite jumping realms and using different lures.

This is horrendous. If it's going to be this hard and annoying to do, why not give them cheats while you're at it and completely alienate your casual player base.

-von

Survivor
Dec 12, 2012
I totally agree the correct lure doesn't seem to help attract the right fish

Also, you can only tell what fish is what school for a few seconds when you cast the reveal spell. The fish are moving and if other people are around its hard to tell what is what. If you have to cast reveal and spend energy then the school designation should last longer so you can actually follow a fish while you get the correct lure spell cast. I think it should last at least 60 seconds.

Life Rocks

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for your time.

Zachary Stormbane lvl 52
I think it's only the minor lures that it doesn't do much for. Like how low-level monsters don't really have much damage resistance against spells of the same school while for higher levels it's a real pain battling someone of the same school as you.

So yeah, just wait 'till you're a higher level and I assume that school lures will seem more relevant.

Survivor
Apr 04, 2014
You can use any lure to catch a fish, but I think you have a better chance with the school lure for that fish. Also, make sure you are in the right area. I think you have to go down Cyclops Lane to get the garfish. I have caught 10 or so of them in the pond on Cyclops lane. Different ponds have different fish.

Explorer
Mar 16, 2011
caw51 on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:
I totally agree the correct lure doesn't seem to help attract the right fish

Also, you can only tell what fish is what school for a few seconds when you cast the reveal spell. The fish are moving and if other people are around its hard to tell what is what. If you have to cast reveal and spend energy then the school designation should last longer so you can actually follow a fish while you get the correct lure spell cast. I think it should last at least 60 seconds.

Life Rocks
I agree, it's too short. But 60 seconds isnt much time, either. it should cost 5 energy and be permanent until you catch all the fish in a body of water.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
Garfish are plentiful in Olde Town as well, which is frustrating as you have to catch Sharkspeare there and it is an ice also. So far I've fished the pond clear of fish four times there and not caught a single Sharkspeare, which is pretty rubbish considering this is an early fishing task.

It is only because it is something different to do that I've been bothering at all and as people have said the aquariums are pretty dull and only hold one fish I can't see that I'll be carrying on fishing for much longer. There's far better rewards from pet training and gardening and I'd rather spend the Energy on that.

As to the reveal spell lasting longer - that won't help at all because whilst it is in effect you can't cast lures anyway. Even when casting a lure of the right school for the fish you are going for there's still a chance it will get away, and as they've moved from where you saw them (even with the 'slow down' spell) you might just as well cast the same lure over and over and see what you get.

It's all too hit and miss, and it should have been implemented by being able to cast the lure where you wanted (as it was in Toontown) rather than a predetermined direction and distance that means you have to keep moving around.

Explorer
May 21, 2011
I kind of get it now maybe possibly. Grammar. I now understand that you should cast a lure right in front of a fish, and not in the middle of the pond and hope a fish comes, which is what I was doing. Now, I just need to find that Sharkspeare. Like someone said above me, I fished the pond dry several times and still didn't find it.

Delver
Jul 05, 2014
I know right! I am STILL stuck on that quest! I am level 42 now ( close to 43 ) while I accepted that quest at level 7! I actually made a separate topic on this. Still working on it.. good luck though