Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

A chat filter idea

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
I have an idea having to do with the chat filter, and here's my question. Why can't the filter detect the words said in a sentence and warn or ban the player?

A warning is just a reminder, but if you get 2 more warnings in the next 2 hours, you get banned for a certain number of days depending on how offensive it is.

If it's too offensive for a warning, it will ban the player for a week. If the player keeps it up, he or she could get banned for a month, a year, or maybe forever. (like i said before, depending on how offensive it is)

Then we don't have to worry about blocking out words that aren't bad words at all.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Raspykoo653 on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
I have an idea having to do with the chat filter, and here's my question. Why can't the filter detect the words said in a sentence and warn or ban the player?

A warning is just a reminder, but if you get 2 more warnings in the next 2 hours, you get banned for a certain number of days depending on how offensive it is.

If it's too offensive for a warning, it will ban the player for a week. If the player keeps it up, he or she could get banned for a month, a year, or maybe forever. (like i said before, depending on how offensive it is)

Then we don't have to worry about blocking out words that aren't bad words at all.
No one actually types 'bad' words anymore - they go around the filters which the program can easily pick up and warn for. I'm surprised KI hasn't just handled this themselves instead of having users 'police' everyone for them.

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
Because the ingenuity of 5,000,000 players > the ingenuity of 10 programmers. We already have some stuff that will detect certain combinations of words and block those, as well as bad words in general, but the chat filter is not sentient and isn't going to be able to interpret everything, so it will let bad words through and possibly ban innocents if your idea is implemented. You have a report button, so just report the person. That way, a human will be able to look through their chat logs and take the appropriate action.

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
But first of all, sometimes they warp to their house before they get reported... And how are you going to predict about how the programmers are going to make the filter anyway? Plus, the combination of the word could be used as something else in a sentence. What i'm saying is that the filter isn't going to be like the original, "block the combination" type, but different. They could have went somewhere else, like a quiet server for example. What i'm trying to say is that if a person is clever enough to avoid getting reported and goes to a quiet server, then the report button would be useless.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Raspykoo653 on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
But first of all, sometimes they warp to their house before they get reported... And how are you going to predict about how the programmers are going to make the filter anyway? Plus, the combination of the word could be used as something else in a sentence. What i'm saying is that the filter isn't going to be like the original, "block the combination" type, but different. They could have went somewhere else, like a quiet server for example. What i'm trying to say is that if a person is clever enough to avoid getting reported and goes to a quiet server, then the report button would be useless.
You can still report them if they port out... click "O" to open all conversations. Scroll until you find the offending one. Click on it and you can report that way.

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
But what if the person warps to their house BEFORE saying anything offensive and nobody takes notice? How are you going to report them now?