Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-11-14

AuthorMessage
Administrator
The hot hot sun is out and I'm almost ready to go enjoy it - but first, let's chat!

This week, let's talk about pets, and what makes a derby winner! For those of you who participate in Pet Derby, what makes a pet the best at Derby? What would you add to pets in the future to make them even better at Derby?

Have a wonderful weekend, Wizards!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I think what makes a pet good at pet derby is how fast it goes, and the cost to cheer. If you have all speed talents you will probably win, or if you have morale steal talents to then use to go faster. It's a competition of speed!

Hero
May 02, 2009
Well for starters a pets stats play a key role in the pet derby, almost even more-so than in pve and the pvp arena as well. Couple that with the fact that the selfish talents can help boost key stats on the pets, pets with an over-abundance of the key selfish talents can do really well in the derby as well. During the actual races, speed and morale rule over all, particularly the super hurry, supercharge and the talent that steals morale from all players as well (the name of this said talent escapes me at the moment though, sorry), so if you're lacking these 3 crucial talents, then the chances are that you're probably gonna lose unfortunately.

I think that there needs to be a much more bigger emphasis on the more offensive-oriented abilities, such as slick-n-slide, brick wall and banana peel for example. I think that doing this in just the right way so would most definitely promote a change in the current pet derby meta imho (and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like to use the term "meta" very often here, if at all even, so there's that at least).

Thank you for your time.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Most of my derby wishes are not related to my pets but to the game: Fix the off-track and third lap glitches, stop/ban the cheaters using 3rd party software to speed hack, add leaderboard and tournaments like PvP, and improve ticket rewards so more people will do ranked.

Once that's fixed, how about adding good single attribute snacks? Like dropped rank 7 or 8 snacks with 10 to 20 exp in a single class.

Pets are ok as they are. Adding better hurry talents, new selfish, and more morale drains might be fun, but that would change the balance of the game for players with good existing pets. You'd get both cheers and complaints as always happens when new things are added. I'll hatch and train for just about anything good that comes along, even a higher pet level or that new epic talent that adds +45 to both agility and power.

Oh sorry, I think I dreamt those :D

Survivor
Mar 11, 2012
Well, some pets have hurry, super hurry, or slow down. Those make pets the best at derbies. I think it would be cool if there was a skill at like epic where you could jump the person in front of you.

Defender
Dec 15, 2013
in my opinion pets with rare or ultra rare talents makes them best at derby. it also has to be above teen and needs to be really strong and intelligent. p.s. its also my birthday so yay.

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
Derby is probably one of the most (if not THE most) confusing part of the game for some people. The reason why this is true, is because very few delve deep enough into it to truly understand how it works.

The key to a winning derby pet is a combination of two things-Stats and Abilities.

The thing most people do wrong when racing is completely overlooking the stats portion of the equation, and just jumping right into the abilities. Abilities are all fine and dandy but when it comes down to it, stats are far more important and more beneficial. If I had to choose between terrible stats and awesome abilities or awesome stats and terrible abilities, I would chose the latter in a heartbeat.

To succeed in the stats area of a pet, you must must must MUST try to obtain stat boosting talents and be aware of the "level spots," otherwise known as when your cost to cheer decreases. For every 45 points your stat goes up, your cheer cost on that surface goes down 1. The higher your stats, the lower your cheer, the lower your cheer, the less morale you'll use, the less morale you use, the more morale you have to spare, the more morale you have to spare, the faster you go! Get it? ;)

The abilities portion of a pet is significantly easier to understand. The pets that tend to win races usually have:
A) Speed Boosts (Super Hurry, Mega Hurry, Big Hurry)-They make you go faster!
B)Morale Boosts(Charge, Supercharge)-They replenish your morale, the more morale you have-the faster you go!

The problem with your question is that there is no concrete answer. :) There is no "best" pet. There are sooo many combinations and ways to race, it's simply impossible. Winning races comes down to stats first and foremost, and knowing how to use your abilities. If you know how to use your abilities well, ANY ability can help you win. Knowledge is power after all!

I write books when I talk about derby.....so how to improve derby will be on a separate post. :)

~Vanessa Mythdust

Delver
Jan 20, 2013
As for how to improve derby, there have been multiple things floating around.
  • Leaderboard-Not sure to this day why PvP got this and Derby didn't.
  • Spectator Mode-Let's watch the excitement that is racing!
  • Tournaments
  • In House Customizable Derby Tracks-With the addition of customizable housing, customizable derby tracks would be amazing! We could create our own challenging courses and invite others over to compete! :)
  • New Courses-We only have up to GH! How about CL, ZF, AV, AZ, KHR? Maybe an underwater course for CL????
  • Relay races and Team races-Adding a more challenging aspect and one you can do with friends may encourage more people to race. Not to mention it would be fun!

As for how the pets can improve, some new stat boosts would be awesome. Throwing in some new never seen before abilities could also prove interesting. There are so many options and adding some fresh new content to derby would be just what we need to bring back some excitement! :D

Thanks for your time,

~Vanessa Mythdust

Survivor
Jun 24, 2014
I would like to see a change in the mount department, to make the first time wizard able to move about .T hey be given a week on either a broom, or horse. The wizards right now only have a broom for a day. It would be ever so nice to be able to get from one end of wizard city to the other with out having to push the arrows or mouse hold buttons.
Could we maybe add more advanced pets to the pet arena instead of the boring six- imp, blood bat, piggle, unicorn, dragon and one other. Maybe add a card to the pets or something.
Make Dorthey , On Unicorn Way, instead of going to fetch her friends. Have to go to Triton Ave. fight six minions, retrieve their clothing, go to Ole' Town, to make a quilt. return it to Dorthey,. In return get 150 gold and a level 10 wand of their schools.
I find it hard to beat the dark fairy's in Krokotopia, when trying to get a spell, it seems difficult to beat them on a three on one or two with minion. I have lost twice and quit because of its difficulty. Three fairy's with 435 life to my level 18 myth life 1091, even with death spells cannot beat them. Help?

thank you

Survivor
Jun 24, 2014
I think the more advanced a pet gets the more it wins. The derby is fun ,have not tried it yet, but have practiced once. I would like to see a first place winner receive a free 2500 crowns. Second place 1750, third place 500, and forth 250 in crowns. Once a pet has maximum wins ???, it can achieve a bonus level and continue to gain mana for its owner.

Survivor
Sep 04, 2011
What makes a Derby winner?
First of all make sure you have a speed boost for yourself helps a lot.
2. Slow Then down!!! Use bombs and other traps to slow down your opponents.
3.Get the stars!!! Get ahead so you can get those stars first.
5.Stay out of the mud You need to cheer you pet but not all at once!!
I hope these tips help you!!!
--Andrea Ghost Lvl 51

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
What makes a pet fast - high stats with abilities that boost speed and/or slow opponents.

What would make pets better - more of those speed and stat boosts, and better snacks to ease training.

What makes you fast - knowing the best routes through the tracks, good timing on jumps and cheers, and wise use of morale.

What would make the game better
- pretty much everything Vanessa and Gemma said. Fix the bugs, stop the cheats, add rewards and features.

Leader board, spectator mode, custom home tracks, and more tickets. Yes please!

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
Although housing is nice from an aesthetic and role playing perspective, it really doesn't do anything beneficial for game play other than containing a shared bank. Wouldn't it be beneficial to both KI and the players if having a house full of furniture helps with game play too? Thus, here are my suggestions:

1. Furniture would be given points based on value and rarity. The more cumulative points the better.
2. If a player logs out while at home, their energy, hip points and even damage goes up based on the time logged out and the amount of points. Overall hp could go up by 3% per hour , energy can go up 2% per hour and damage can go up 2% per hour, as a suggestion. You could max out the increase or base the max increase on the level of the character. Thus, a level 50 character would get a higher max in these stats than a level 20 character.
3. After a period of time such as two hours, the benefits start to decrease. Thus, the house would work like having various elixirs.

This way players would be encouraged to both craft and buy furniture and have nice castles.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
I think that to win it takes speed and that's all

Explorer
Oct 20, 2011
Vanessa Mythdust on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
As for how to improve derby, there have been multiple things floating around.
  • Leaderboard-Not sure to this day why PvP got this and Derby didn't.
  • Spectator Mode-Let's watch the excitement that is racing!
  • Tournaments
  • In House Customizable Derby Tracks-With the addition of customizable housing, customizable derby tracks would be amazing! We could create our own challenging courses and invite others over to compete! :)
  • New Courses-We only have up to GH! How about CL, ZF, AV, AZ, KHR? Maybe an underwater course for CL????
  • Relay races and Team races-Adding a more challenging aspect and one you can do with friends may encourage more people to race. Not to mention it would be fun!

As for how the pets can improve, some new stat boosts would be awesome. Throwing in some new never seen before abilities could also prove interesting. There are so many options and adding some fresh new content to derby would be just what we need to bring back some excitement! :D

Thanks for your time,

~Vanessa Mythdust
I agree with you. They have been doing so much improvements to PVP that they've forgotten about the pet derby.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2013
Before new talents or anything along those lines are added to our pets, the derby itself needs to be fixed. The third lap glitch is something that upsets everyone who has experienced it, and it has been occurring for years. One of my wizards it has six 4th places due to the third lap glitch. The amount of Arena tickets given is ridiculous. If it's money K.I. is concerned about, people will buy pets, packs, and spend more in-game time hatching for the perfect derby pet, if we were given eight to fifteen arena tickets per race.

I would say focus on agility and power, combined with super hurry, or a leech talent (the name escapes me), and you have a good shot at winning.

I wish there was a way to watch the races, similar to pvp, only you follow the viewpoint through the person in first place. <---- so it doesn't complicate things.

What would you add to pets in the future to make them even better at Derby?
I'm not sure. I worked hard to get my idea of a perfect derby pet. Hatched over twenty plus times, or more, to get the stats and super hurry at teen. There's so few of us who actually race, so I understand the need to implement something to make it easier for others. The thought of new abilities for racers does evoke some excitement. There are some horrible derby talents, and it's never any fun to win against those.

-Mackenzie

Squire
Jun 13, 2011
Perhaps... further training for our pets to higher ranks beyond Mega so that they may have more derby slots to help them in the Pet Derby. The further we train our pets, the more our pets get better at them.

Administrator
Thanks for the feedback folks! We'll discuss these amongst the Professors.

New topic will be posted shortly!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea