Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do Necromancers really need a pet with healing ?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Hello Everyone.
I've been playing wizard 101 now for three years and whilst I have a wizard from nearly every school I've never created a high level death wizard.
Last night I created a new Necromancer, the difference with this one is I have lots of death school pets from various packs (Gargoyle, Penumbra Dragon, Deer Knight and the currently equipt Mummy Cat).
I also have some excellent Death school gear from the Nightmare pack for when she reaches level 60 or beyond.
My question is this, the Ghost Dragon is the only pet with the ability to manifest Spritely but although he was trained to 500 it didn't develop. I have absolutely no luck when it comes to hatching and getting the talent I want so I just wanted to know this:
(A) With a Necromancer's vast array of life steal spells is a healing pet really nessecary or can you survive without one?

(B) If I did bite the bullet and take another chance on hatching a healing pet what would be a good pair to use?
I would love to hear from any Necromancers with healing pets and any tips, tricks and general advice they can offer me for Alura (my Death Wizard) in the future.
Thank you everyone

Defender
Aug 25, 2013
Enlightened One on Jun 8, 2014 wrote:
Hello Everyone.
I've been playing wizard 101 now for three years and whilst I have a wizard from nearly every school I've never created a high level death wizard.
Last night I created a new Necromancer, the difference with this one is I have lots of death school pets from various packs (Gargoyle, Penumbra Dragon, Deer Knight and the currently equipt Mummy Cat).
I also have some excellent Death school gear from the Nightmare pack for when she reaches level 60 or beyond.
My question is this, the Ghost Dragon is the only pet with the ability to manifest Spritely but although he was trained to 500 it didn't develop. I have absolutely no luck when it comes to hatching and getting the talent I want so I just wanted to know this:
(A) With a Necromancer's vast array of life steal spells is a healing pet really nessecary or can you survive without one?

(B) If I did bite the bullet and take another chance on hatching a healing pet what would be a good pair to use?
I would love to hear from any Necromancers with healing pets and any tips, tricks and general advice they can offer me for Alura (my Death Wizard) in the future.
Thank you everyone
Personally for death I would rather have a pet with double resist triple damage, that meaning:

-Spell Proof
-Spell Defy
-Death Giver
-Death Bringer
-Pain Giver

I prefer this because Death does have the ability to heal themselves, so the resist is all you really need to get by.

My most recent pet failed at mega sorta.

He gave:

-Feinting Spell (Gives 1 Feint)
-Spell Defy
-Spell Proof
-Death Giver
-Death Ward (+15% Resist)

The death resist is somewhat useful for sacrifice and other self damage spells, and the other good news is I can now become immune to my own school :P but yeah definitely the best shot you have at achieving these talents is to find a friend who has them, train your current pet to adult, and then keep hatching until you get out all the bad talents that you don't want.

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Hello Everyone.

Thank you everyone
I'd say it's probably a good idea. because in a fight with a life enemy they WILL start shielding for death. balance will depending on who you're fighting, shield for all spirit schools and myth will sometimes too, thereby diminishing the effect of your life stealing spells. I finally started one a couple weeks ago myself. I've got him at lvl 20. keeping him there til I can train up a better pet for him than the ones I gave him.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Hello Everyone.

Thank you everyone
A. No, you don't need a healing pet.
B. I have no idea; see "A"

Your drains and the boosts from the pets listed will be fine in seeing you through. Death is one of the easiest schools to solo with for just this reason. Have fun!

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
A healing pet isn't essential for a necromancer, but having one is an extremely nice bonus. My necromancer's beloved epic Deer Knight (Prince Diesel) provides a lot of help with healing and damage-boosting as he has Batusi, Fairy Friend, Unicorn, and Ardent Amplifier manifested.

Miranda Nightsinger, Promethean Necromancer
Scarlet Windhammer, Master Pyromancer
Iridian Lotusblade, Adept Sorcerer

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Hello Everyone.

Thank you everyone
This is really a personal decision in your play style, but usually I do not go with a healing pet with my Death wizard. Instead, I keep defense (spell proof/defy) and attack (damage/criticals) talents. This is because I am usually spamming drain spells.

However, I was the healer in the group as the Death wizard I would probably switch to a healing pet, since the small heals would keep my HP up after Sacrificing to others.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Hello Everyone.

Thank you everyone
NEED a pet with healing? Naah. Is it heplful? Sure. Then again, depending on the style of your play, having a pet with maycast, team friendly spells, would be helpful. There are some maycasts that help your team, including unicorn.

Really, there's a few schools of thought on this forum:

1) if i can have it, i want it
2) If my pet heals for me, I dont have to
3) It's a nice benefit to training a pet but I dont NEED it
4) I dont want healing pets at all; I know what I'm doing so dont need one

For DEATH, me personally, I fall under 3 (mostly). it's a RARE time that #2 is applicable, but that only comes into play if I fizzle more than a few times in a row and need health badly. Normally, my gear is fine, but when doing the final battle of K2, I somehow fizzled 3 times in a row when trying to cast a colossal frankie with at least 3 blades stacked. had any one of them hit, it would have been a TOTALLY different story.... and keep in mind, that is a MINORITY of the time.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
You don't need healing if you are using health swap spells to attack, but healing isn't bad to have. I like a lot of resist on death pets because some of our spells hurt us. So it is good to have spell proof and defy or death ward. Hatch with pets that have the talents you want.

Defender
Feb 26, 2012
Hello Everyone.

Thank you everyone
First answer: It's not absolutely necessary but it really does help. If your death character is lacking in strength when it comes to how high your attack power is you won't be able to get much healing out of a steal and heal without the proper traps and blades set up. So in a quick pinch a healing pet will come in handy if you're health is low and you need to survive that last round.

Second answer: Try looking on wizard101 central on wiki. It lists most if not all the talents and abilities a pet can learn. Just search under healing pet talents and it will give you links to the pets that have that talent like may cast fairy ,unicorn,and sprite spell. Just make sure those pets have trained those abilities and not many others to give yourself a higher chance of getting those abilities when you hatch. A pet that likely has those abilities are higher level life pets of the first generation. Like for example a queen pixie pet.

Finally a training tip. Try feeding the pet life based pet snacks if you know it has a healing talent hiding somewhere. It acts like a hint towards the ability you want. Especially mega life snacks.

Hope that helps Alura. Good luck with the pet training and I hope you get the talents you want.

Sincerely yours Rusher2828

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
For my necromancer, I have a vampire pet that casts blades, casts a critical boosting ring, and buffs my critical rating and damage, as well as giving a stronger vampire spell that also decreases enemy heals. But especially at lower levels (I am still in my 20's with this character) having the critical ability is crazy helpful. I also had a red ghost pet that gave a lot of cards that was helpful, before I got the vampire -- it also did not heal.

So far, I have not found a healing pet necessary -- precisely because the vampire-type spells already heal, and getting a big hit with those is the best strategy for the death school. The vampire pet is great. I don't think my necromancer has lost to anyone yet in PVE, and he is a warlord in PVP.

Hope this helps.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
hi there I have three death wizards and all have healing pets two are maxed out and their pets have resist and heals I never ever go out without at least fairy and my other has both sprite and current for the simple reason your deck is not always going to cooperate and if dealing with a boss at the time when the malfunction occurs ( and it will ) you will want a pet to back you up until that card arrives that is going to heal you so my answer would be yes try and try again eventually you will get a heal if none have shown by adult use that pet to try again until you have a heal by adult then you can try for other stats always trying to have fairy, sprite and then the other stat you want to go for I am sure their are other wizards out there that will have other good tips for you

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
dayerider on Jun 8, 2014 wrote:
NEED a pet with healing? Naah. Is it heplful? Sure. Then again, depending on the style of your play, having a pet with maycast, team friendly spells, would be helpful. There are some maycasts that help your team, including unicorn.

Really, there's a few schools of thought on this forum:

1) if i can have it, i want it
2) If my pet heals for me, I dont have to
3) It's a nice benefit to training a pet but I dont NEED it
4) I dont want healing pets at all; I know what I'm doing so dont need one

For DEATH, me personally, I fall under 3 (mostly). it's a RARE time that #2 is applicable, but that only comes into play if I fizzle more than a few times in a row and need health badly. Normally, my gear is fine, but when doing the final battle of K2, I somehow fizzled 3 times in a row when trying to cast a colossal frankie with at least 3 blades stacked. had any one of them hit, it would have been a TOTALLY different story.... and keep in mind, that is a MINORITY of the time.
I fall under #2 myself. but then my death is only lvl 21 or 22 right now. My ice has life for secondary but...still nice to have a pet that heals so I don't have to waste rounds and pips to heal myself. My Storm wiz is death secondary but again...nice to have one that heals. The one I just hatched yesterday and leveled up to adult so far has fairy and ward wrecker. As you say it depends on your style of play and I tend to play as the bull in the china shop. I was so focused on killing a boss last night I wasn't paying any attention to what they were casting on me, and so finished the fight with 200hp. Which is a bad thing as a storm wiz. :P

Connor
Alura
Jared

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
If I'm in a big boss fight while playing solo, I'll put in a sprite and pixie in the deck just in case. All of my Death pets have at least one heal and a (purposely hatched) variety of manifested talents.

Since sprite and fairy were nerfed, my pets don't heal nearly as often, or not at all when I'm in battles. Death does take some buffing up to hit decently, so having a healing pet can be handy until you are ready to hit.

My Death does great when questing solo. There are times when random people on the same quest will partner up with me for a while, so I will change pets to my Red Ghost (pain, proof, defy, fairy, unicorn), because the unicorn comes in handy for the other players. My Death, when playing with others, ends up being the tank, healer and damage-dealer, so I will use pets that fit whatever situation I'm in.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Hello Everyone.

Thank you everyone
Wow!
I always thought the Wizard 101 players were some of the nicest and most knowledgable in the gaming community, thank you all for your feedback.
Based on what I'm reading the general concensus seems to be, it's nice to have a healing pet but not essential and that they are a help due to fizz, uncooperative decks, low power hits etc.
I did some research into Death pets and not including school pets, the best ones seem to be the ones I already have.
With this in mind I have decided to use my mummy cat, Lady Luna, as the basis for any hatches.
She is currently leveled to Ancient with the following skills/talents,
Gives one Von
Death Striker (14% to Death critical)
Pip O Plenty
Gives Deer Knight.
My Necromancer, Alura Raventhorn is only level 10 at the moment so hatching is some time off for me until I accumulate lots of gold but I love being able to use a high level Death Spell like Dr Von and Deer at such an early stage.
My question is
What do other Wizards think of my choice for a parent pet?
What Death and Healing talents should I try to get?
Is it better to hatch with another Death pet or is any pet with a heal ok.
I would particuarly like to hear from anyone who has developed a Mummy Cat with healing talents.
Thank you everyone
Alura Raventhorn

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
What a fantastic pet for your necromancer! To be able to cast Dr. Von so early, awesome! (You won't train that until level 68.) It's my necromancer's go-to spell for one-hit kills. Stack blades and traps then let the Dr. make a house call. :D

Having the ability to cast Deer Knight so early is a huge bonus too as you won't train Scarecrow (an attack all enemies spell) until level 48. Some folks never get the pleasure of casting Deer Knight at all since the only ways to get it are having a pet with the Deer Knight Rises talent, crafting (looooooong, frustrating, expensive process), being lucky enough to have Loremaster drop it, and being extremely lucky enough to get it in a Knight's Lore pack.

As for pet talents to hatch for eventually.... Everyone has his/her own preferences. Mine are Pain-Giver (universal damage boost), Death-Giver (Death damage boost), Spell-Proof and Spell-Defying (universal resists). Fairy Friend and Unicorn are my preferred healing talents.

You're off to a great start. ;)

Miranda Nightsinger, Exalted Necromancer

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Enlightened One on Jun 10, 2014 wrote:
Wow!
I always thought the Wizard 101 players were some of the nicest and most knowledgable in the gaming community, thank you all for your feedback.
Based on what I'm reading the general concensus seems to be, it's nice to have a healing pet but not essential and that they are a help due to fizz, uncooperative decks, low power hits etc.
I did some research into Death pets and not including school pets, the best ones seem to be the ones I already have.
With this in mind I have decided to use my mummy cat, Lady Luna, as the basis for any hatches.
She is currently leveled to Ancient with the following skills/talents,
Gives one Von
Death Striker (14% to Death critical)
Pip O Plenty
Gives Deer Knight.
My Necromancer, Alura Raventhorn is only level 10 at the moment so hatching is some time off for me until I accumulate lots of gold but I love being able to use a high level Death Spell like Dr Von and Deer at such an early stage.
My question is
What do other Wizards think of my choice for a parent pet?
What Death and Healing talents should I try to get?
Is it better to hatch with another Death pet or is any pet with a heal ok.
I would particuarly like to hear from anyone who has developed a Mummy Cat with healing talents.
Thank you everyone
Alura Raventhorn
Death pets that give universal or death talents are just fine for your Necromancer. Don't worry about too much hatching at the low levels, as it's really unnecessary until you get to Celestia/Wintertusk. That's when you'll need better pets.

If you have a nice death pet (your mummy cat), then if I were you, I would stick with hatching with other death pets. Of course, it depends on what the other person has on their pet and the type of pet. If the other person has fire talents, or ice talents, etc, then you really don't want to hatch with them, because if it gets into your pet gene pool, it can be hard to hatch out, and you really don't want talents from another school if you aren't going to use them.

My Necromancer has several pets he switches to, sometimes for the variation in talents or sometimes because I like to have a different pet to look at once in a while.

Mummy Cat: Pain-Giver, Proof (10), Defy (5), Fairy, Sprite

Shadow Beast: Pain-Giver, Proof (10), Defy (5), Fairy, Sprite

Deer Knight: Pain-Giver, Sharp Shot (6), Proof (10), Fairy, Sprite

Deathwalker: Sharp Shot (+6), Proof (10), Defy (5), Critical (+30), Fairy ..... and is a perfect 250 pet

Red Ghost: Death Giver (6), Proof (10), Defy (5), Fairy, Unicorn

I think I have more, but that's what I came up with for now. I will be working on more death pets, but for now I'm working on pets for my Ice wizard.

Good luck!!!!!

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Miranda Nightsinge... on Jun 11, 2014 wrote:
What a fantastic pet for your necromancer! To be able to cast Dr. Von so early, awesome! (You won't train that until level 68.) It's my necromancer's go-to spell for one-hit kills. Stack blades and traps then let the Dr. make a house call. :D

Having the ability to cast Deer Knight so early is a huge bonus too as you won't train Scarecrow (an attack all enemies spell) until level 48. Some folks never get the pleasure of casting Deer Knight at all since the only ways to get it are having a pet with the Deer Knight Rises talent, crafting (looooooong, frustrating, expensive process), being lucky enough to have Loremaster drop it, and being extremely lucky enough to get it in a Knight's Lore pack.

As for pet talents to hatch for eventually.... Everyone has his/her own preferences. Mine are Pain-Giver (universal damage boost), Death-Giver (Death damage boost), Spell-Proof and Spell-Defying (universal resists). Fairy Friend and Unicorn are my preferred healing talents.

You're off to a great start. ;)

Hi Miranda,
Thank you for your kind comments, I must admit I was chuffed (proud in case anyone is unfamiliar) when my pet went critical on a Deer Knight in Triton Ave, I only hope the other new players didn't think I was showing off lol.
Thanks for letting me know what level these spells are normally trained at, I do feel extremely lucky having them.
Your choice of talents are very good and are ones I will aim for.
I do have one concern, isn't it possible that the offspring of Lady Luna and X may "loose" or never manifest Dr Von and Deer Knight?
If this is the case then would it be better for me to wait until I have learnt these spells myself before I start hatching?
Thank you for your feedback
Alura Raventhorn
BTW, if you read this Ravenlady I would be really interested to learn how a Necromancer defeated Malistaire and his Death Minions, I assume you used Death Prisms but what else???

Explorer
Aug 30, 2009
I know you already decided on something but in my opinion, healing pets are never a BAD idea. They are really useful when you are in a bind (i.e. you have 200 left, your pet does unicorn. fairy, or even sprite... This just might save your life.) Personally with My death wizzy in Avalon, I have been using a pet (Nightwalker) with these talents: Spirit blade, Spritley, Unicorn, Sharp shot (6). My other pet is not so good but I also use it when my other pet is on my other characters. This pet is a 1st generation Jelly fish that got (he's only to adult): Spritley. and deathblade.(I like having my pets cast blades ) Hope this helps.

Christo Mythspear 100
(And now introducing again!) Zachary Nightvault 75-76

P.S. I used Sparky (Jelly fish) Up until celestia and had no trouble

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Enlightened One on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
Hi Miranda,
Thank you for your kind comments, I must admit I was chuffed (proud in case anyone is unfamiliar) when my pet went critical on a Deer Knight in Triton Ave, I only hope the other new players didn't think I was showing off lol.
Thanks for letting me know what level these spells are normally trained at, I do feel extremely lucky having them.
Your choice of talents are very good and are ones I will aim for.
I do have one concern, isn't it possible that the offspring of Lady Luna and X may "loose" or never manifest Dr Von and Deer Knight?
If this is the case then would it be better for me to wait until I have learnt these spells myself before I start hatching?
Thank you for your feedback
Alura Raventhorn
BTW, if you read this Ravenlady I would be really interested to learn how a Necromancer defeated Malistaire and his Death Minions, I assume you used Death Prisms but what else???
If the offspring don't get the talents you want, you don't use that pet. The only limit to how many pets you can keep is your backpack and your house/bank/attic space. You never lose a talent on a pet you have already.

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
Hi, Alura.

Critical Deer on Triton? I'd be chuffed too. LOL :)

Yes, an offspring can "lose" or not manifest talents. Say you hatch Lady Luna with one of my Deer Knight pets and get a Deer Knight back as the offspring, the Dr. Von card Lady Luna gives you at baby will be gone and you'll get the Feint card Deer Knights give at baby instead. As seethe wrote, if an offspring doesn't get the talents you want in a pool during a hatch or doesn't manifest the talents you want, don't equip that pet or spend much (if any) time training it.

You're in great shape pet-wise for quite a while. I wouldn't worry about hatching as long as Lady Luna is taking good care of you while questing. You may decide to never hatch because she takes care of you so well; nothing wrong with that!

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
MythMaker1005 on Jun 12, 2014 wrote:
I know you already decided on something but in my opinion, healing pets are never a BAD idea. They are really useful when you are in a bind (i.e. you have 200 left, your pet does unicorn. fairy, or even sprite... This just might save your life.) Personally with My death wizzy in Avalon, I have been using a pet (Nightwalker) with these talents: Spirit blade, Spritley, Unicorn, Sharp shot (6). My other pet is not so good but I also use it when my other pet is on my other characters. This pet is a 1st generation Jelly fish that got (he's only to adult): Spritley. and deathblade.(I like having my pets cast blades ) Hope this helps.

Christo Mythspear 100
(And now introducing again!) Zachary Nightvault 75-76

P.S. I used Sparky (Jelly fish) Up until celestia and had no trouble
Hi Christos,
Thank you for your great advice.
Yes, like you I do have a fondness for healing pets, my problem is that none of the pets from any of my schools seem to develop it and I have had this problem for three years!
It can be very frustrating watching another wizard's pet heal them two or three different ways and your pet just sits there like eye candy lol.
For Death Pets that MC spritely I trained a Ghost Dragon as well as a Jellyfish to Ancient with nothing, at least they do provide good death skill talents and I'm pretty certain you can purchase the Jellyfish pet from Wellington Fanshawe in Celestia so there is always the possibility of buying a new one and training him/her and keeping my fingers crossed lol
Happy Journeys
Alura Raventhorn

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
The best way to get healing talents, or any talents really, is hatch with pets that have them. You might get it by luck, but the odds are a lot better through repeated hatching with improved pets.

My death spends a lot of time tanking and since i use empower and pact a lot, i get a lot of triggers so I like healing, especially unicorn since it helps the whole team. Nothing more fun than hitting myself for a couple hundred and giving all my friends a heal.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Enlightened One on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
Hi Christos,
Thank you for your great advice.
Yes, like you I do have a fondness for healing pets, my problem is that none of the pets from any of my schools seem to develop it and I have had this problem for three years!
It can be very frustrating watching another wizard's pet heal them two or three different ways and your pet just sits there like eye candy lol.
For Death Pets that MC spritely I trained a Ghost Dragon as well as a Jellyfish to Ancient with nothing, at least they do provide good death skill talents and I'm pretty certain you can purchase the Jellyfish pet from Wellington Fanshawe in Celestia so there is always the possibility of buying a new one and training him/her and keeping my fingers crossed lol
Happy Journeys
Alura Raventhorn
A starfish from Celestia is a good start. They have Spell Proof and MC Spritely in their talent pool.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Dakota Death on Jun 13, 2014 wrote:
The best way to get healing talents, or any talents really, is hatch with pets that have them. You might get it by luck, but the odds are a lot better through repeated hatching with improved pets.

My death spends a lot of time tanking and since i use empower and pact a lot, i get a lot of triggers so I like healing, especially unicorn since it helps the whole team. Nothing more fun than hitting myself for a couple hundred and giving all my friends a heal.
Hey that is a great suggestion Dakota,
I'd forgotten that Necromancers can use a spell that damages them but also restores a fixed amount of health.
Unicorn is a great team spell too, in the course of questing with other Wizards I have often been very grateful someone decided to train for this talent.
I will go to wiki and find a list of all pets that MC Unicorn.
Oh and thank you too Seethe, I had completely forgotten about Starfish, luckily I have one in my shared bank and she already has MC Spritely.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010
depends on what you are doing.

for example when i am farming trash i use an all damage pet 9,6,6,3,3 with a 40 death blade when i am doing real content solo questing etc i use a storm beetle with proof, defy. pain giver, fairy, current. (the perfect pet for my death anyways)