Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Convince my Brother to Play?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 12, 2012
I have an older brother who goes to college, and in ten days he's going to be here with me for the Summer. I've tried to convince him to play Wizard101 before, but he says that it's not really the kind of game he likes to play every time I try, and he's never even played before! He always tells me that it's because he's watched me play before, and I really don't think that's enough to say it's not fun. The least I want from his is to at least play it for a few minutes, but he never will. Does anybody know something that I can show him to make him think about it? It'd be really cool if he could play this with me over the Summer
My brother and I get along really well, but I just can't get him to play Wizard101.

Thanks.

-Nathaniel Redflame, lvl 48

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
If he really doesn't want to you shouldn't push him, but you can tell him that a lot of adults play, and the game is a lot cooler than it looks at first. The beginning seems like a little kids' game, so I see how he might not be attracted to it, but the story gets better in the higher worlds. There are fun jokes and pop culture references, and combat becomes a lot more interesting as you level up.

Squire
Jul 04, 2012
One thing you might be able to do, is tell him about all of the things you can do, and to show him around the game a bit. You can also say cute stuff to convince. Offer to buy him a game pack if he tries it.

Angela Gem, Level 100

Katie GoldFountain, Level 49

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
You can't really force the issue; the game is not for everyone. He can play for free, as you know, for the first little bit to see if he likes it. If he doesn't want to, let it go.

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
Gemma Luna on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
If he really doesn't want to you shouldn't push him, but you can tell him that a lot of adults play, and the game is a lot cooler than it looks at first. The beginning seems like a little kids' game, so I see how he might not be attracted to it, but the story gets better in the higher worlds. There are fun jokes and pop culture references, and combat becomes a lot more interesting as you level up.
Thanks!

-Nathaniel Redflame, lvl 49

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Since I'm around the same age as your brother, here's my suggestion:

1) relate it to something he likes.

i was never a gamer; my (now-ex) boyfriend introduced me to w101 by saying that, because i was a harry potter fan, he thought i would like to try the game. by appealing to my first love (books), i was more willing to give it a shot... and, nearly 4 years later, i'm still here.

i like stuff; you like stuff. and, let's face it, your brother likes stuff too. so, whether it's computer graphics, dragons, pvp, whatever... find a way to relate the game to something he cares about.

2) shameless blackmail.

worst case scenario, a little bribery won't hurt. perhaps, if he agrees to play with you, you can buy him a gift card or month's membership to try out. talk about how questing together will be a fun bonding experience.

failing that, try sad-puppy eyes and your best frowny face (note: this probably will not work if you are over the age of 10, but it doesn't hurt to try).

-von
20something sorcepyrothaumanecrotheurgiviner-er

Defender
Jun 13, 2012
I always felt that W101 was a few games mashed into one. Try to figure out if it's like any games he likes and tell him it's that and MORE