Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 5-9-14

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hello, Wizards! It's about that time again, that time being Friday, and it's time to chat. Let's get on with it!

Sometimes we all need a little assistance, and there's no other Wizards around. In those times of need, do you go for a minion or a henchman more often? Does it depend on the circumstance? Which minion or henchman is your go to helper?

Thanks, as always, for playing. Hope your weekend embers with greatness!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Delver
Mar 10, 2009
I go for Minion first and it depends on which wizard I am on. If it is a treasure card minion then it is Talos all the way.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
Deffs a Henchman For the Massive Damage :) Level 100 Always RIP my Money

Survivor
Aug 03, 2013
Survivor
Jul 28, 2013
I use henchmen. Actually use them quite a bit.

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
If the boss is a cheating one I won't use one at all, so it won't kill us.

If the minion is in pvp, probably.

If it's a non cheating fight where I need help asap, I'll go for a henchman

If I just could use some help to get it done faster or I'm out of cards or something like that, I'll go for the minion.

Survivor
Nov 19, 2010
i solo all the time with my promethean/exalted wizards, and we turn to salvus.He is the only hench we use. He is awesome, please never change him; he is such a brave boy! I tested raggedy max a lot in test and have used him in the direst emergency ingame. Salvus cannot cope with a group who are nearly dead. He is my second favourite. Varney gets drunk at the avalon pub with Jabari and Awilix and i dont appreciate a drunk henchman. I generally only need a healer.

Community Leader
I guess it would depend on if I have crowns or not. If I do I seem to always have those henchmen there by my side. If not? Well then sometimes I am stuck until I find help or get through the area.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2011
Henchman are expensive. If I am in a boss battle and if I am disparate I will buy one. Other than that I rely on minions and friends :)

Explorer
Jan 19, 2010
Henchman if I have the crowns. Even with the new minion they cost too many pips in my opinion 5. They die too quickly, so making new minions for us higher leveled wizards was still not much helpful. By the time I have saved up 5 pips it feels like a waste to summon my minion because I could of used those pips to attack and in a few rounds it's dead anyways.

Community Leader
I'm a level 87 Death wizard, and I find that the Death Seraph is extremely useful in quests where I can't bring friends. Most recently, I used it in the quest for Sharpened Blade and Potent Trap, especially since it can do Deer Knight.

I'm almost always playing with a full team, so minions are only used during solo fights. Also, I've never bought a henchman. I find that the consumable nature is kind of a ripoff.

DuelCircle Organizer. The Slowpoke Sloth is the best.
Community Leader
Truth be told, I prefer Henchmen over Minions. It keeps my deck from being cluttered with minion cards. And they're more brighter than minions, I feel.

The only thing I don't like about Henchmen is of course that it costs crowns.

Need help with Zeke, Packs, Pets, Gear? Stars of the Spiral has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
I turn to henchmen. Personally I don't even pack minions in my deck because if anything I feel like they'll mess up the situation more.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
When I was low level on my storm I used that minion pretty regularly but if I had a questing buddy a minion wasn't necessary. Also at that time henchman were not available in game yet. Generally speaking, minions haven't worked well for me. They are my own school, steal my traps, heal and blade themselves. Which is why the storm minion was ideal for me at the time. It cast taunt, element shields and ghoul. It did exactly what I needed it to do (I.E. - buy me more time until I was set up properly). With exception to the low level storm minion I have found all the minions to be a waste of my pips. When I battle I have my deck set up for efficiency. Get in battle and get out of battle as quick as possible. I have found mucking around with minions to be counterproductive.

Concerning the henchman, I have purchased quite a few henchmen for high level boss fights. Mostly level 70 fire. I've purchased different schools at different levels and I've pretty much decided that the level 70 fire does what I need it to do so I can do what I need to do.

Defender
Mar 02, 2009
I have to say minion. I have two wizards beyond Krokotopia, a myth and an ice. Rarely does the ice come across a fight that, with time, tower shields, and satyrs, he can not eventually beat. IF there is one (i.e. cheating boss, Waterworks, Tartarus, ect.) he will wait, or, if it fits with the cheat, use Freddo the Ice Fish. My myth is overleveled (72 in Zamunda), and rarely needs assistance as well. When he does I call upon Talos. If I had the cash would I call upon a henchman? Unlikely. Neither of my characters need much help, and, if they need aid beyond that little oomph I get from Freddo and Talos, then I wait and work on the other.

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
If none of my friends are on, or if they're all engaged in their own battles? Henchmen. My go to is Salvus Drake for healing, sometimes I go for Lucius. Depends on which of my wizards I'm playing. Sometimes for my main wizard, a level 85 or 86 ice...I go for salvus and one of the other school of henchman as well...like a storm or myth henchmen. For my just leveled up to 55 storm? strictly Salvus.

Champion
Mar 27, 2011
I don't ever use Henchmen. It seems wrong. I used to use minions, but at higher levels they aren't effective, so I just solo or get help from friends or the Mercs for Hire if I can't do it alone.

I wish there were better high level minions. People might stop complaining about the game being too hard to solo. But then the PvP crowd would complain about them being OP. Can't win eh?

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Oh and another thing. for the crown shop? for re agents? you just introduced a 100ct pack of Stone Blocks and one for scrap iron? Can you do one for Ore too? I get tired of having to go traipsing all over the spiral to get ore so I can convert it to diamonds for the higher level crafting an crafting quests.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
With my main being a myth wizard, I use minions all the time, but I often find that they're not enough. Minions aren't really something you turn to when you need help, but more like the companions in Pirate 101. So when a battle is particularly difficult. (like most bosses in Avalon and Azteca) The only options are either henchmen or another player.

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
I actually go for minions. I may be level 98, but my level 75 minion is actually quite useful in fights. He removes shields that I can't and with careful planning, he doesn't waste my converts or traps. The only downside to this is that I can only pack so many minions in my deck before realizing that I have to leave room for other cards.

Survivor
Sep 15, 2013
Even though I love using minions, () I hate it when they do the exact opposite of what I want them to do. I'd like to see controllable minions .

Survivor
Sep 20, 2013
I have only used Henchmen (usually a high level Life) on very rare occasions when my wizard had to do a solo fight. Most times I have no problem finding friends or other wizards to quest with as I go along. Minions tend to be very helpful off and on when you need that extra kick or distraction for the mob! Both are very useful! I don't mind spending a few Crowns on the Henchmen, right now the price is not too bad.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I far prefer the henchmen, specifically, life henchmen. Ideally, I would prefer life henchmen that did nothing but heal. Moreover, they should heal the player character who bought them, primarily, and not any other henchmen.

Players have the ability to develop strategy, and set up big strong hits on bosses. The henchmen are mostly weak, compared to the players, especially the life henchmen. So when life henchmen attack instead of heal, they waste pips, and put the life of the player in jeopardy. They also prolong the battles this way.

What is needed, is that the life henchmen keep me alive, so that I can make the hits that actually have a significant effect.

I find that minions tend to be a liability, more than a help. They are in your same school and therefore steal traps and mess up strategy. This is especially true as you get to higher levels. In lower levels, for myth players, the minions are a help. But pretty much that ends by the time you leave Wizard City. For other schools, minions for me are just a pain, and not a help.

However, if we could get non-school minions, that would be a different story. Minions in other schools than your own school might be a help at times.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2012
It depends on how many crowns, because I play both Wiz and Pirate so I try to save my crowns for stitching and I don't usually have minions in spell book because I need my fighting spells

Survivor
Mar 23, 2009
I always go for the Henchmen. Unfortunately I always have to by them with crowns which can get very expensive, especially if you are in one of those hugh dungeons with 3 bosses who all have over 22,000 health and they cheat on top of it. Its very frustrating. I know a game needs to be challenging but sometimes it gets rediculous. I've been playing for quit some time and love the game.