Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dungeon Drop Rates Ridiculous

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
I've been patient, but after spending weeks in Morganthe Dungeon, farming I've finally flipped. I have finally decided to just stop, the drop rate has so been ridiculous. If this drop rates persist in the future world/dungeon updates of this game I'd really just stop playing this. I spent whole days farming for something worthy, but have not yet gotten even gotten the deck. Same went with Tartarus did not get a single thing, NOT ONE within a month of farming!!!! I am not exaggerating, I farmed FOR a GOOD month inside that tedious dungeon and now we have Morganthe. I honestly have a better chance of winning the lottery compared to the drop rates in this game. The drop rates are just downright ridiculous!!!!

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
It's the same for waterworks and any other dungeon with good gear. I would say just craft gear that has similar stats. After all, it's just a game and I wouldn't waste my time trying to get things with outrageous drop rates. Its better to make progress on collecting reagents for gear each day than the disappointment of not getting something every day.
Saffron Sandsword
Legendary

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
StarReacher09 on May 7, 2014 wrote:
I've been patient, but after spending weeks in Morganthe Dungeon, farming I've finally flipped. I have finally decided to just stop, the drop rate has so been ridiculous. If this drop rates persist in the future world/dungeon updates of this game I'd really just stop playing this. I spent whole days farming for something worthy, but have not yet gotten even gotten the deck. Same went with Tartarus did not get a single thing, NOT ONE within a month of farming!!!! I am not exaggerating, I farmed FOR a GOOD month inside that tedious dungeon and now we have Morganthe. I honestly have a better chance of winning the lottery compared to the drop rates in this game. The drop rates are just downright ridiculous!!!!
Can't say as I blame you and I know what you mean.

I found out after completing WaterWorks 35 times I wasn't farm material. I didn't enjoy the waste of time it was for a chance to get what I really could of used to continue my wizard on. I decided that if this stuff was so needed then I would just have to figure out how to do with out it. Luckily Wintertusk crafted gear came out and is almost like it or none of my wizards would of went past Zafaria. KI wouldn't make a game that can't be played if it depended on luck to get the gear would they?

For me it's all about seeking my level in the game and deciding what I do like to do and what I won't. I have found over time too many things loop back into "farm" for it now though. I keep a small garden, I train pets now and then, I craft to the Seal of the Seven Seas on all my wizards and I will probably never quest past the end of Avalon with any of my future wizards. If I farm I only do low level events on my highest level wizards, if I am going to process something many times I want it to go quickly. I farm for silly things, litter for the garden, leopard pet, Senators gear from Mt Olympus using my level 90ish wizard, etc..

Mary

Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
thanks, but spending endless hours on farming and getting nothing has been really frustrating and discouraging. i have taken a whole day break from it and did other things in the game, but once again i went back farming for a whole day and still nothing,

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
glowstorm13 on May 9, 2014 wrote:
It's the same for waterworks and any other dungeon with good gear. I would say just craft gear that has similar stats. After all, it's just a game and I wouldn't waste my time trying to get things with outrageous drop rates. Its better to make progress on collecting reagents for gear each day than the disappointment of not getting something every day.
Saffron Sandsword
Legendary
The problem with crafting is after a certain level that also requires "farming" to complete. You get to the point where you are boxed in by having to farm for things that may make the game go a little better or at all eventually.

"Farming" has become the way the game is if you want better gear etc. Too many seem to enjoy it as a way to get gear for their wizards to progress with or it wouldn't be in the game. As far as drop rates go - I have seen them raised, aka WW, but never lowered. Many also like the "special" feeling they get knowing they scored something that was difficult to obtain. I call it, gear held hostage and it is meant for those who prefer to spend their game time doing this type of thing or have the excess time to. The lone wizard will be at a disadvantage over the wizards who have a "team" to run these things also.

I can concur that dragging your wizard though upper levels with 40 level old gear isn't fun.

Mary

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I so totally and completely agree! The dungeon drop rates are pathetic! This for me has been a source of great frustration. My most current issue is with the Loremaster. I have farmed her for weeks now, over and over and over, and have yet to get a single spell. But it is true in most dungeons -- there are some nice rewards to be had, but the chances of getting them are so slim it is often more of a pain than a pleasure to try to get them.

What is the point in making the drops so rare? How does this benefit anyone? Again, it turns the game from a Game that is fun and delightful, into a chore that is just another form of the daily grind.

This game used to be so whimsical and cheery and magical and fun. But somebody at KI got the idea that they needed to make it harder and more work to get anything out of the game, and they seem to be dead set on sucking the light and the joy out of the game. They brought the rat-race into the game. But I get plenty of that rat-race in my "real" life. I come to a game to have fun and get rewards in ways that don't always come in the rat-race.

Really, the drop rates should be higher, so people get rewarded for their efforts. It should not be necessary to run an instance hundreds of times just to get a decent reward.

Defender
Sep 09, 2011
I would say with my full regents backpack i can level all 6 wizards to crafters but need to collect this Comet Tails ans Stardust cause they are new. In Morganthe place i gone there for some luck hunting of course its easy with storm wizard but to get only regents and Tc is little waste of time. I did check what death Morganthe drops and its really long list just 2 items of idk 300 items i need to get those 2 rest i can sell without looking at them and those 2 are athame and amulet. Amulet is great but is it wise to compare that amulet to life amulet person gets to wonder little. Or Athame with i get to lose power pip chance by 3% and i got 77% now lol. Harsh life is in game also i sometimes wonder " is there any items we need to get drops did they put it there to be droped by boss maybe they forgot " lol. And also Tartarus now that is dungeon like you walk all desert and at end you say oh dang i forgot to bring water lol and you go back and go again. Well we all have to be more patient all though that doesnt work always.

Wish you all good luck on drops we will all need some of that.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
when i did waterworks, i got the full balance set on the first 4 times, i guess it all depends on luck sometimes .-.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
Survivor
Apr 26, 2013
Yes i really hate the drop rates in dungeons to. Something really needs to be done i spents days and weeks farming waterworks and other bosses and i usally never get the stuff i need.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
still nothing from morganthe, i'm breaking

Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
So done with this. This isn't random drops anymore. I've gotten 550 Amber farming hades so that puts me about 400+ runs farming for the gear and have not gotten a single thing, so I gave up on that. Now, I have about 290 Astral Shards farming Morganthe it would be like hades all over again. This is beyond the chance of a normal drop or a random drop. Regular gear drops from this game seems equally par to a crown gear drop rate, the chances are so low. I'm tired of this game and putting so much and all my time into farming for nothing is really ridiculous, farming this much made me realized that this game is 90% spell animation. All these farming became cyclical to me and repetitive and doing the same content over and over have gotten so boring and frustrating to me.

Survivor
Jan 06, 2011
Even the fansites are saying the same thing. Something needs to change or i'm gone gears like these shouldn't be impossible and hard to get it is really frustrating.

www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?409240-Morganthe-Drops

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Morganthe drops seemed better on test realm. I haven't seen anyone get good things on live.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
glowstorm13 on May 9, 2014 wrote:
Saffron Sandsword
Legendary
No, Waterworks is not as bad. If you keep doing waterworks you will get a full set. It will be your for school and the best gear in the game for many levels. If you do Helephant a few times you will get the good ring and athame and you might luck out and get a mastery.

You can do Tartarus over and over and never see a single thing you'd want. There is more junk, and much less chance of the good items.

Champion
Jan 27, 2010
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's deduced this....the drop rates are indeed very cray cray.

Champion
Aug 15, 2012
StarReacher09 on May 17, 2014 wrote:
So done with this. This isn't random drops anymore. I've gotten 550 Amber farming hades so that puts me about 400+ runs farming for the gear and have not gotten a single thing, so I gave up on that. Now, I have about 290 Astral Shards farming Morganthe it would be like hades all over again. This is beyond the chance of a normal drop or a random drop. Regular gear drops from this game seems equally par to a crown gear drop rate, the chances are so low. I'm tired of this game and putting so much and all my time into farming for nothing is really ridiculous, farming this much made me realized that this game is 90% spell animation. All these farming became cyclical to me and repetitive and doing the same content over and over have gotten so boring and frustrating to me.
I'm not even close the morganthe yet but I've heard that astral shards and amber are pretty hard to get. You could probably easily craft similar gear now.
Sarai Thunderstrider
Journeyman

Survivor
Sep 10, 2012
I agree with Spongebob4lyf and Gemma Luna on their statements about the waterworks and helephant dungeons. I completed waterworks ten times on my fire wizard and got hat 3 times, boots 5 times, and balance amulet once. I farmed once with my life wizard and got robe on the first and only try. I completed tower of helephant four times and got aureate band (ring) on the third time. I would have gone back for the athame but I was nearing a level at which I could easily craft a better athame. I completed the loremaster dungeon 75 times and on the 25th time I received Keeper of the Flame. I keep a tally. I did not receive any other spell yet. I want the fire spells and loremaster spell.

If you want to get loremaster spell, here is my experience. I had opponents in practice PVP who said they crafted the loremaster spell. One even told me it wasn't hard. I did some research into how to acquire the ingredients for the spell and, as a level 86 wizard, the hardest ingredient to get would be astral shard. I have to get to Khrysalis; maybe I will ask friends to let me port to them. The other ingredients were easy to get except turquoise. I got a few from drops in Azteca, but I bought most in the bazaar. Astral shard is at the bazaar once in a while too, but I have to be really quick to buy first and they are expensive because there is usually only one at a time. Your wizard will outgrow gear, but a crafted spell is forever.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2012
As for the Tartarus dungeon and Morganthe's dungeon, bring in on! If I see something wonderful that can only be dropped there and has no equal among the crafted gear and is not dropped elsewhere, then I am willing to farm those dungeons until I get it. When I come home from work, I make dinner, wash the dishes, wash and dry clothes, and do stuff online like read e-mail and pay bills, all while playing one or two accounts on Wizard101. I stop to eat dinner or watch my favorite tv shows. My family finds this hilarious. I figure that when I am level 100 my wizard will nothing better to do anyway, until the next level update.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Everyone already knows how I feel about this issue, but will put in my 2 cents anyway.

Drop rates are ridiculous, and the work vs. reward balance is disproportionately unbalanced. I work 60 hours a week, and I don't have time for a second full-time job, least of all one that expects me to work for free. I have given up on ever seeing that gear, or the Loremaster spell~ I wanted it so badly, but ~400 runs with nothing is just discouraging.

Gemma is right about Waterworks: I have put 4 wizards through that instance and have never had to do 30, 50, 100 runs in order to get a full set. Au contraire, I have been farming Torturesauce for a year on 3 wizards and, other than my balance wizard's boots, have yet to see any of the gear.

The fact that a game requires more work than my actual job is a bit disconcerting.

-von

Explorer
May 08, 2014
Aloha!

It is all about luck in the end as i notice the pain of grinding certain things too... but when you get it, its a awesome feeling you worked hard for it... i don't farm lower gears as i will out level it soon enough, and if you still not having any luck towards your goal then i agree that its best to just craft it or do something else (looks like OP already did try that and no luck also, i am sorry to hear that)

I tried farming for a week at Loremaster for the spells and gotten almost all of it, except krampus, but it was the fun i had doing it as i met plenty new players and what not. I know i met a few that said they did it for over a month or more and havent gotten anything good... but that is the game system and we must bare with it, can't be giving things out easily or everyone will be having same gear with no pride in them.

Good luck on your journey hope you get that gear you needed soon :)

Survivor
Apr 27, 2012
I have a level 52 death wiz and 32 fire wiz. On only one occasion did anything great drop , and it wasn't useful by any of these classes! Other than that, I have NEVER, EVER gotten a good drop from anyone nor did I ever get a good drop from the crown chests found after defeating certain boss mobs. Wiz 101 DEFINITELY needs much better drop rates for the good items.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
The first time I took my now-Promethean through WW, I got her Frostbit boots. So, I stopped. First time I ran Olympus with my now-Legendary, I got the robe. So, I stopped. My son, who's back with a Death wizard, got some crowns gear from Lord Nightshade first time in. So, he stopped. Farming for gear is tedious, I can craft spells, and I garden for reagents. Now I have tons of fish to sell, so I am never without gold.

Speaking of fish, that's becoming a wee bit like farming. Standing in the west Jade Palace pond, muttering to myself, or perched on a dock in GH, glaring at the water. That's my day now. I can stop anytime, I swear. Just. Need. Boss. Hog. Twitch.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013