Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance lacks equilibrium

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 23, 2012
So, this topic is about how balance is underpowered. I do enjoy the well rounded stats, but I am not very fond of my spells, being a 95 balance. I am just curious as to why balance, if it's supposed to be a combination of all schools, dose not have a over time like death, myth, life, fire, and ice. Also why balance dose not have a stun like ice, fire, storm, and myth. Like seriously Has anyone else noticed this That being said, balance has good block , resist, HEALTH, while maintaining damage, but I am really ticked off about the overtime hit. One tower just messes up any hit, hydra is really weak, and people always carry the shield of death and myth that comes in the life school. and for those people who say theirs allot of pierce options like infallible( try that with another balance) , unstoppable (colossal is much more refficent, and it leaves with low damage spells) and.... why in the world is there is not a pierce blade spell (again going back to the top) like every other school. Their May be item cards of it, but not everyone has that... Or a certain pet with mc shatter, allot of people don't have that.

Just another disappointed balance.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
I have to agree with some points, balance may be mixture of schools, however lacking specialization causes problems down the line. I've had a few balance friends who ask for help as they can boost me with better results than themselves. Balance seems to get short end of deal when their is a level raise or new item addition; that may be intended I don't know. They should have a pierce blade like other schools and a prism & multi-prism option, but it will be random as to which school is triggered for damage. Based on what I have seen it would balance out challenge I've seen for balance, but perhaps that is point. It matters more in what secondary schools chosen and how you approach solo battle.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Jellybeans yummy on Feb 10, 2014 wrote:
So, this topic is about how balance is underpowered. I do enjoy the well rounded stats, but I am not very fond of my spells, being a 95 balance. I am just curious as to why balance, if it's supposed to be a combination of all schools, dose not have a over time like death, myth, life, fire, and ice. Also why balance dose not have a stun like ice, fire, storm, and myth. Like seriously Has anyone else noticed this That being said, balance has good block , resist, HEALTH, while maintaining damage, but I am really ticked off about the overtime hit. One tower just messes up any hit, hydra is really weak, and people always carry the shield of death and myth that comes in the life school. and for those people who say theirs allot of pierce options like infallible( try that with another balance) , unstoppable (colossal is much more refficent, and it leaves with low damage spells) and.... why in the world is there is not a pierce blade spell (again going back to the top) like every other school. Their May be item cards of it, but not everyone has that... Or a certain pet with mc shatter, allot of people don't have that.

Balance underpowered LOL. Not fond of balance's spells ROFL. You guys have shields, the best variety of blades, heals, judge, supernova, mana burn, savage paw, and loremaster and you say balance is underpowered. Yea so one tower shield messes up your hit. I could complain that a fire shield messes up my hit 2 times more. Balance is not underpowered ok.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
No over time, and no Stun...

We have the ability to hit with any and all schools, to boost any and all spells.
We can use all school pierce, all school traps, shields and blades(elemental/spirit) which we get for free, while every other school has to pay.
Our own blades traps(Balanceblade, bladestorm/hex) can all be used with ANY of our spells.
We have Mana burn...

We can hit Balance Enemies with either Elemental or Spirit Attacks
We can hit Spirit Enemies with Elemental or Balance attacks
We can hit Elemental with Spirit or Balance attacks.

We are the only school who can naturally heal, tank, and boost other schools...

I'm pretty sure we're well rounded.

High stats, high HP, high Def...

I've played 4 schools
Taken a Death to 95, Storm to 58, and Myth to 55

My Balance, who sits at 85 right now, is by far my best character.
No issues solo
No issues as a group
The only character I have who's done the solo spell/pet quests without losing.

Should we, in your opinion, have steal health spells like death??
Maybe high defenses like Ice??
Higher damage gear like Storm??

If you want over time, second in fire, craft deer knight, or get it on a pet. Use TC's...
All schools have the ability to use these options

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
In most respects, I agree with the OP.

I have played all 7 schools through at least level 30. My now-max-level balance wizard was my first, and I went through a lot with her. Balance wizards have to work a lot harder to get stats that are, well, balanced... but, after lots of hatching, I finally got a pet that complements my play-style, and she's actually kinda scary now, lol.

To the people saying "just use your elemental/spirit attacks", I disagree. Why should we have to? That's like asking an ice wizard with a storm mastery amulet to do a storm wizard's damage... it's silly, and it doesn't make sense. We can't make the same use of those blades that their respective schools can.

/my 2 cents, for what they are worth.

-von

Survivor
Aug 06, 2012
As a fellow Sorcerer myself, I've learned that Balance is the "jack of all trades, master of none" class of the game. They specialize a little bit in all areas- boosting to any school, defending from multiple schools at once, dealing multi-hits, AoE spells, and some decent heals and minions. However, other schools perform 1 or 2 of these tasks much better- but lack experience in the other end. For example, Storm is built for dealing high amounts of damage quickly, but can't really take a hit well. Life is great at keeping health up, but lacks in offensive power. Balance is meant to be a sort of representation of what each school has to offer.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2012
You all have amazing points, but I am still trying to get savage paw, mana burn works, but I'll only be able to use it like 2 or 3 times if I am lucky In a pvp cause people know to keep their pips low

What I have found good over the past few days is loremaster, king artorius, nova- both types, mana burn, and weakness are all good to have in deck for hits, I like that I can place weakness on a person very easily

Some of your points include secondary schools, but the poit of choosing a school is not to rely on other schools hits. That would be fighting a storm in the arena with life hits, life boosts, and very little to do with their actual school... Storm

Any thoughts?

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Jellybeans yummy on Feb 10, 2014 wrote:

"I am just curious as to why balance, if it's supposed to be a combination of all schools, dose not have a over time like death, myth, life, fire, and ice"

Because the only shield defense against a Balance wizard is a Tower shield - which is not only the weakest single target shield in the game, but can then be further reduced to 35-30% with a single aura. We haven't even factored in pierce from gear yet.
It would be very unreasonable to give Balance an ability to shred through shields with a single cast. Tower shields, mind you..

All the other schools you mentioned that have DoTs, have to contend with their own school shields AND Tower shields, as well. That's the difference.

When the "Ancients of Krokotopia" (KI) created Balance magic, it was made in such a way that no other foe would be able to defend against it properly. Thus, there was never a need to spread damage over time. Honestly, it would severely unbalance the school, and give it too much of an unnecessary advantage. You're basically asking for something to remove the already small chance someone can successfully defend against your attacks.

Balance is already teetering on the verge of god-mode right now. I say this as someone who plays Balance as my main. I love the school so much, but I'll admit, the amount of control we have over other people is hilariously nuts lol.

Don't let a few Tower shields ruin your groove. Keep about 6 enchanted Scorpions in your side deck, along with your other utilities, and you'll be able to remove shields (and weaknesses) at will - for the cost of 1 power pip.

Anyway, I was gonna get into your next point about why Balance doesn't have stuns, but I've already talked way too much, and I still wanna respond to someone else here lol so.. in a nutshell, no stuns for pretty much the same reasons stated above :-P

Good luck with your future battles.

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
Dr Von on Feb 11, 2014 wrote:
In most respects, I agree with the OP.

I have played all 7 schools through at least level 30. My now-max-level balance wizard was my first, and I went through a lot with her. Balance wizards have to work a lot harder to get stats that are, well, balanced... but, after lots of hatching, I finally got a pet that complements my play-style, and she's actually kinda scary now, lol.

To the people saying "just use your elemental/spirit attacks", I disagree. Why should we have to? That's like asking an ice wizard with a storm mastery amulet to do a storm wizard's damage... it's silly, and it doesn't make sense. We can't make the same use of those blades that their respective schools can.

/my 2 cents, for what they are worth.

-von

"To the people saying "just use your elemental/spirit attacks", I disagree. Why should we have to?"

How can you ask this? Those types of spells contribute to the very nature of our school. These are our versions of Prisms. Except with us Balance, we ourselves act as the prism, with the ability to output any and all schools of damage.
Not only are these offschool spells native and FREE to us, but our Balance damage % boosts them.
Instead of asking "why should we have to", I would ask "why would you not?"

"That's like asking an ice wizard with a storm mastery amulet to do a storm wizard's damage... it's silly, and it doesn't make sense"

You're right, that would be silly, considering the Ice wizard would first have to spend a training points on that storm spell, along with buying a Mastery amulet. If that's not enough, the Ice wizard wouldnt even boost the storm spell.
Yes quite silly indeed, which is why that analogy is so not the same as using Spectral Blast or Hydra, both of which come naturally to Balance and take advantage of our damage boost.

Delver
Mar 29, 2012
I love love love my Balance wiz. The secret to balance is, once you know the rules you can break them. I love breaking the rules (in a fair and honorable way) and doing the unexpected, so balance is the school for me. If you are really needing an over time spell, we DO have one. Enchant your Locust Swarm into it's Ice version. Voila, an overtime spell that keeps your balance gear boost. Hope this helps!

Amber Raven Song, 95 Warlord

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Eric the Red covered pretty much everything but I wanted to add one more thing.

"...why in the world is there is not a pierce blade spell (again going back to the top) like every other school."

I notice you didn't ask the obvious opposite to that. If balance were to have that, shouldn't there be a balance shield of -80 available to all schools, like every other school? Balance has lower powered blades and no spear BECAUSE there is no shield for it. Adding things like a Balance Prism, Balance only blades, and Balance Spear just creates more problems. It really would require creating a whole new opposite school of Balance with attacks, shields, blades, prisms,... to restore the imbalance this would create.

Survivor
May 11, 2011
Sorry, but I kinda disagree. I've got a level 74 balance which is my highest! I know, such a noob level but still thought balance wizards can come in handy with blades and stuff.

Delver
Jun 27, 2013
Over the weekend, I've gained 3 levels with my Balance in Azteca.
I beat each and every boss battle, includuding the level 84 and 86 sun and... Star?? school bosses, on my first try, using only my balance spells.

Seeing as how there's alot of whining here, about Balance being underpowered, and how it seems from reading that MANY people are calling for the level 86 sun school fight to be easier, sincce they're spending many crowns on minions and having to fight it 30+ times, no matter the school...

Maybe my beating it first try, suing only a few blades, a few traps, Ra and Judgement, says that Balance is about how you play it... Not really all that underpowered

Survivor
May 09, 2011
Hi! I have my balance wizard from the moment I started this game and is by far my best wizard. I created a storm and a death which both are level 95 now by the way, but still I have seen lots of disadvantages from these two schools.

Please remember that Balance wizards creates harmony and equality, and if you may have noticed, balance wizards blends the most for any chosen secondary school, that's one good trait other schools don't posses.

And do you play PvP?, why worry about a single tower shield to mess up your attack? Try to look at other options, and in my opinion, Chimera is the hardest spell to block since you need to overcome three heads. It is how you incorporate your style of play with the spells and gears we have, learn your advantages and disadvantages to go along with this game. There is no perfect school, everyone have their own limitations.

If you feel like Balance School is not working for you, I would suggest looking for other schools to blend with your style of play. Good luck.

Valkoor Earthhammer