Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm way to powerful

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 09, 2010
Is it just me or is storm becoming more and more powerful every update? When wizard101 first came out storm was supposed to have the least accuracy and health. Now with waterworks gear or Avalon stitched gear their accuracy can get up to 98% accuracy!!! More than life!! That is just ridiculous for a school that is supposed to have low accuracy. They are also supposed to have low resistance and high damage I saw a storm with stitched gear that gave him 42 universal accuracy and his pet gave him none all from his gear. This is insane kingfisher a storm with let's say 450 crit 96 damage 250 block and 42 resist is just sooo unfair.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Jack The Ice Guy on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
Is it just me or is storm becoming more and more powerful every update? When wizard101 first came out storm was supposed to have the least accuracy and health. Now with waterworks gear or Avalon stitched gear their accuracy can get up to 98% accuracy!!! More than life!! That is just ridiculous for a school that is supposed to have low accuracy. They are also supposed to have low resistance and high damage I saw a storm with stitched gear that gave him 42 universal accuracy and his pet gave him none all from his gear. This is insane kingfisher a storm with let's say 450 crit 96 damage 250 block and 42 resist is just sooo unfair.
LOL.

I see you have 'ice' in your username, and your tone makes me want to assume that you got beaten in pvp by a storm wizard, because people in the arena always cry that *insert school* is overpowered when they lose.

As a promethean diviner who has 3 wizards in Khrysalis and played all 7 schools past level 30, here's a reality check for you:

The wizard you fought most likely had 250 block to ice only; even if he did somehow have 250 universal block, there's no way to do that without a major sacrifice to other more-important stats. Either he had pvp elite gear, an uber pet, or both.

Storm's high damage is our only chance at survival. We don't have your massive health and universal block/resist, and we *have* to kill within 5 rounds max or else we're bobbleheads. Plus, crit is random and not worth it IMO~ give me resist and block over that any day!

By level 50, most schools have more health than the mobs they have to fight. Storm does not. By that point, Ice also has well over 50% universal resist and immunity to 2 schools (which, once again, storm does not). And, every update, KI keeps giving ice more and more unneeded health and resist; storm's firepower has also found it's way to ice, but we don't get any of your defense. Case in point: my ice wizard at level 40 and my storm at level 88 had the same health. Explain to me how that's not overpowered.

Since it doesn't sound like you've ever played storm, go make a diviner and then we'll talk... I bet you'll find it's not so overpowered when you're the one struggling to make it through the simplest of mob fights unassisted.

-von

Survivor
May 09, 2010
Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Change your strategy to beat a storm. It's fairly simple. If you rely on resistance gear and try to survive multiple Storm hits, you risk losing. Don't try to make it an endurance match like you could a couple of months ago. Nowadays, the longer your match lasts, the more likely you'll take a big hit and lose. It's a race against time when you're up against a critical wizard.

Try wearing more offensive gear and go on the attack. Very few Storms can survive a multi-hit combo of any kind.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
As a pure PVE-er...storm AND ice seem to have uneven benefits as compared to other schools. Just one wizard's opinion, but it does seem both of those school's inherent weaknesses go away with no other new weaknesses exposed. I cannot speak to PvP...but its quite tiresome to look at ice and storm gear and compare it my own.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2012
*addendum to previous post*

its not just gear either...ice and storm spells are unbalanced compared to other schools...in fact I think the spells are more unbalanced than the gear...again, this is from a pure PvE perspective

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
I see why you think storm is now op.

Even though I've never seen a storm with:

42% resistance
96% damage boost
250 block rate
90 critical rate

I believe you. But Sometimes when you view someone's stats, their pets don't load and just display the hatch time, and max agility, will, etc. That guy PROBABLY had a perfect pet.
Let's take the pet away:

27% resistance
90% damage boost
230 block rate
80 critical rate

Does that still seem op?

I think what contributes mostly to being op, is resistance and critical block, and with an exception of damage too.

Normally, their critical block and resistance is dirt, and their critical rating is somewhere around 500!!!

Considering that they do have the lowest health and universal resistance, (without their pet) they are somewhat easy in pvp. Hit them once, and they're stuck trying to patch themselves up with a bunch of fairies. I have critical block around 240, and that can easily block a critical, no matter the ratio. It's just chance. I have a level 95 ice with 67% universal resist, and 30% attack boost. I think the schools are pretty balanced is you ask me. I think the problem with storm was that it was UP if you know what that means, so Kingsisle just added them back to balance. Some of you aren't used to storm being equally matched again, so when you underestimate a storm, and lose, don't riot that it's op because it's not.
I suggest a perfect pet to you. my pet adds 14% resistance, 68 mana, ( I have no idea where it came from) and may cast sprite and fairy. Even if you don't want those talents, it's somewhat easy to make a perfect pet. That "op" storm probably had a perfect pet anyway. Seeing my statistics, don't rant that ice is too powerful now.

Matthew Skullsword 95
Matthew Icesword 95
Blaine 42
Samuel 33

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
Dr Von on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
LOL.

I see you have 'ice' in your username, and your tone makes me want to assume that you got beaten in pvp by a storm wizard, because people in the arena always cry that *insert school* is overpowered when they lose.

As a promethean diviner who has 3 wizards in Khrysalis and played all 7 schools past level 30, here's a reality check for you:

The wizard you fought most likely had 250 block to ice only; even if he did somehow have 250 universal block, there's no way to do that without a major sacrifice to other more-important stats. Either he had pvp elite gear, an uber pet, or both.

Storm's high damage is our only chance at survival. We don't have your massive health and universal block/resist, and we *have* to kill within 5 rounds max or else we're bobbleheads. Plus, crit is random and not worth it IMO~ give me resist and block over that any day!

By level 50, most schools have more health than the mobs they have to fight. Storm does not. By that point, Ice also has well over 50% universal resist and immunity to 2 schools (which, once again, storm does not). And, every update, KI keeps giving ice more and more unneeded health and resist; storm's firepower has also found it's way to ice, but we don't get any of your defense. Case in point: my ice wizard at level 40 and my storm at level 88 had the same health. Explain to me how that's not overpowered.

Since it doesn't sound like you've ever played storm, go make a diviner and then we'll talk... I bet you'll find it's not so overpowered when you're the one struggling to make it through the simplest of mob fights unassisted.

-von
I just made a storm not too long ago and now i'm a level 25 in Marlybone. I completely understand what your saying cause i watch PVP between storm and ice ALL the time. He may think storm is overpowered but if you think about it, every school is overpowered in one of the categories in combat. Life of course with their healing as an example. He has to make a storm and understand the struggle of having low health vs being a ice who can get up to almost 7000 health. The highest i ever saw was about 6,700. Overall nice explanation to this topic.

Survivor
May 09, 2010
LOL.

-von
.I see you have 'ice' in your username, and your tone makes me want to assume that you got beaten in pvp by a storm wizard, because people in the arena always cry that *insert school* is overpowered when they lose.
- Okay first things first my ice is only level 26 currently questing in marleybone so no I don't pvp and never have because I am not a fan of an player versus player type games. Second of all I am not a cry baby and didn't lose to any storm for that matter.

.The wizard you fought most likely had 250 block to ice only; even if he did somehow have 250 universal block, there's no way to do that without a major sacrifice to other more-important stats. Either he had pvp elite gear, an uber pet, or both.
- As I say again I do not pvp and don't plan to.

.Storm's high damage is our only chance at survival. We don't have your massive health and universal block/resist, and we *have* to kill within 5 rounds max or else we're bobbleheads. Plus, crit is random and not worth it IMO~ give me resist and block over that any day!
- Like i said this storm player had 42 universal resistand with that resist you are sure to survive more than five rounds especially with a pet with may cast fairy that heals every time you get hit.

.By level 50, most schools have more health than the mobs they have to fight. Storm does not. By that point, Ice also has well over 50% universal resist and immunity to 2 schools (which, once again, storm does not). And, every update, KI keeps giving ice more and more unneeded health and resist; storm's firepower has also found it's way to ice, but we don't get any of your defense. Case in point: my ice wizard at level 40 and my storm at level 88 had the same health. Explain to me how that's not overpowered.

- You do have a point about the insane health, but with weak damage its actually very fair. And not all Ice have immunity to fire and storm BTW ( by the way )

.Since it doesn't sound like you've ever played storm, go make a diviner and then we'll talk... I bet you'll find it's not so overpowered when you're the one struggling to make it through the simplest of mob fights unassisted.

- Lol, I actually do have a storm lvl 76 in avalon. Killing an enemy with one blade and a critical tempest on the second round isn't that tough lol. I made an Ice to try something defensive.

I respect you Von and I love each and every one of your posts and so please don't take this like i am insulting you.

- Jacklvl 26
- Noah 95
- Noah76

Astrologist
Aug 20, 2011
Jack, I need a specific breakdown of what gear this player was using. The stats you stated seem impossible for any storm: "450 critical rating, 96% damage, 250 block, and 42 resist."

A Storm wizard can achieve 42% resist by using the complete Blackthunder set from Tartarus and a pet that learned both Spell Proof and Spell Defying. Blackthunder gear, along with the the Blade of the Felled Titan and the Alpha and Omega Ring will give you 82% damage to Storm. If your pet has Pain Giver and Storm Dealer, however, you can achieve 96% Storm damage.

However, the critical rating and block rating is where things get funky. Blackthunder gear would only give you 262 critical rating and 129 block rating. Basically, no matter what wand you pair with the Blackthunder gear, you cannot have both 450 critical rating and 250 block. Nor would pet talents get you to those figures. Did you perhaps exaggerate these figures?

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Jack The Ice Guy on Jan 28, 2014 wrote:
.I see you have 'ice' in your username, and your tone makes me want to assume that you got beaten in pvp by a storm wizard, because people in the arena always cry that *insert school* is overpowered when they lose.
- Okay first things first my ice is only level 26 currently questing in marleybone so no I don't pvp and never have because I am not a fan of an player versus player type games. Second of all I am not a cry baby and didn't lose to any storm for that matter.

.The wizard you fought most likely had 250 block to ice only; even if he did somehow have 250 universal block, there's no way to do that without a major sacrifice to other more-important stats. Either he had pvp elite gear, an uber pet, or both.
- As I say again I do not pvp and don't plan to.

.Storm's high damage is our only chance at survival. We don't have your massive health and universal block/resist, and we *have* to kill within 5 rounds max or else we're bobbleheads. Plus, crit is random and not worth it IMO~ give me resist and block over that any day!
- Like i said this storm player had 42 universal resistand with that resist you are sure to survive more than five rounds especially with a pet with may cast fairy that heals every time you get hit.

.By level 50, most schools have more health than the mobs they have to fight. Storm does not. By that point, Ice also has well over 50% universal resist and immunity to 2 schools (which, once again, storm does not). And, every update, KI keeps giving ice more and more unneeded health and resist; storm's firepower has also found it's way to ice, but we don't get any of your defense. Case in point: my ice wizard at level 40 and my storm at level 88 had the same health. Explain to me how that's not overpowered.

- You do have a point about the insane health, but with weak damage its actually very fair. And not all Ice have immunity to fire and storm BTW ( by the way )

.Since it doesn't sound like you've ever played storm, go make a diviner and then we'll talk... I bet you'll find it's not so overpowered when you're the one struggling to make it through the simplest of mob fights unassisted.

- Lol, I actually do have a storm lvl 76 in avalon. Killing an enemy with one blade and a critical tempest on the second round isn't that tough lol. I made an Ice to try something defensive.

I respect you Von and I love each and every one of your posts and so please don't take this like i am insulting you.

- Jacklvl 26
- Noah 95
- Noah76
Ice is by far the most overpowered school. I keep hearing how Ice has the weakest attacks but they don't, they have more powerful blades than other schools to compensate. Ice's base per pip attack ranges from 55 to 105, without boosts. Storm ranges from 80 to 160 (that assumes they could survive long enough to cast owl). Ice has more than double the health and resistance of storm. Storm does NOT have even close to double the attack damage that would make them more equal. A single blade, critical tempest, with colossal and all power pips on second round will not kill most mobs in Avalon at level 76. Even my level 95 Storm in all Hades gear won't kill all mobs in AV like that, you're exaggerating a bit.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2014
I know many people think that the storm wizards' spells are way to high, but seriously? Being a storm wizard myself I know many of the disadvantages. First of all, the accuracy is extremely low and many wizards don't like to take risks so often. Furthermore, the amount of health we get is insane. In my other account I saw an ice wizard with nearly 3000 health while a storm wizard with around 1,500. In addition, I believe someone mentioned shields. Only one shield is needed to reduce the damage of our attacks majorly. If anyone should be mad it should be the storm wizards.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2009
MiguelThunder Hunt... on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
I know many people think that the storm wizards' spells are way to high, but seriously? Being a storm wizard myself I know many of the disadvantages. First of all, the accuracy is extremely low and many wizards don't like to take risks so often. Furthermore, the amount of health we get is insane. In my other account I saw an ice wizard with nearly 3000 health while a storm wizard with around 1,500. In addition, I believe someone mentioned shields. Only one shield is needed to reduce the damage of our attacks majorly. If anyone should be mad it should be the storm wizards.

The accuracy is indeed low but taking the fact that by simply getting the waterworks gear, you would have better accuracy than life cause it gives so much to just from 3 pieces of gear. Basically its gonna be a major struggle from level 1-59 and then from 60-95 its gonna be so much easier cause you don't have to worry about fizzling at a 70% rating. Storm is also very low on health but that's why as a storm wizard, most people say "Hit them before they hit you". All schools have their strengths and weaknesses. Storms strengths is obviously damage and accuracy but their weakness is resist and health.
Wolf LifeShard

Survivor
May 06, 2012
Storm may be very overpowered, but I think you are forgetting some details:
1: Storm has the lowest health/resistance of all classes.
2: They have low power pip ratings.
3: They have very low accuracy, making it hard to attack.
Those are 3 reasons why storm is not overpowered.

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
Ok, first of all everytime I get on the forums it seems like the blame game on here. everyone says this school is over power, this is one is to weak... blah blah blah. Have you ever thought about use what you got to your advantage.

doesn't stand a chance because of shadow shrike. Ice wizards have you ever thought of using STUNS they will take major back lash damage. If you can not do that, use your shields, you have not just Tower shields, but you have Storm and Fire shield combo. If you have immunity to the schools and you facing shadow shrike, just spam shields, shields take the pierce, then it hits your resistance. plus if you have a tick and there is shadow shrike, there is a spell called cool down

I can get around there Ice shields and resist. Have you thought about your piercing ability? but there shields? yes you can pierce them, most people plan on storm to use there OHKO spell surprise them, but there shields? use your tc pool to your advantage, you can use shatter before you attack, or use storm elves. plus you have your shields to help you also

is the main school I don't here complaining. I hardly here about fire being complained about being OP. other than ticks are taken off by triage, you can make up that by using you BIG TICK like Heck Hound, and then use a fire elf. Triage will take the fire elf tick off, now if your worried about them spamming triage, spam fire elf.

These schools are even in power, its the resources that you need to win and stay in the battle. Each school has there focus. Its how you over come your Weaknesses is what makes you a better wizard
Sorry if you thought I was coming across rude, but there is a point where its enough whining about the other schools. You win some and lose some, its what you learn that make the difference

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
LOL.

-von
for the most i agree with you, except for the fact that it is true that storm gets so much accuracy. i havent had much time to play much less pvp since the rank wipe. i think storm should retain its low accuracy!!!

Survivor
Nov 08, 2013
Yo bro that does not mean they get critical every hit.Did you know that there are some fire wizards way powerful than storm wizards.i am telling fire wizards are awesome.we do get accuracy and don't forget damage :)Damage had helped me many times.Look at my currant low lvl gear(i am not going to mention the health part since i am not online now): so my fire resistance is 22 my fire damage is 16 and my fire accuracy is 8.now that is pretty good.Hope you use my tips and remember just get damage and accuracy and high health :D.

Cody Skullbreaker LVL 33

Survivor
Dec 17, 2010
I have a storm level 95 and even with all the hades gear he has and a good pet, i am no match for a ice wiz with immunity to storm. I still don't understand why any school would, or could have " Immunity " to any school? My storm does not have immunity to any school. I have never understood why Kings Isle " Favors " ice school? This makes no sense at all. I feel the game was great through lvl 70 cap. After that things went crazy with things like " Immunity " lol. I pvp now with my death wiz lvl 95 all hades " Torment Gear " and a good resist Deer Knight pet. I love to beat ice with my death wiz. I rarely lose to any of them. It is a shame that someone cried so much about storm and fire beating them in pvp, that kings isle gave ice school immunity lol. Please give my Storm 6,000 health, and 90 resist to ice! Thank you!