Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are X-Pip Spells too Powerful?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 21, 2011
It seems as though some spells, like Judgement , Tempest , and Heck Hound are too powerful and rule the pvp world. Although I am sure we would all like to be able to kill an (or all of our) enemy(s) with a powerful spell, especially at only level 18 () or 28 (,), but these spells have moved into the pvp world and one of the only ways to stop them is mana burn , a level 72 balance spell, that can also be gained through boots from packs. The point is... these schools can really create powerful spells. Only weaknesses, tower shields and the like can decrease Judgement, and the Heck hound is over time so shields don't work.

All the schools should be given x-pip damage spells, just to make it even.

Explorer
Jun 12, 2011
kswgdog112 on Jan 11, 2014 wrote:
It seems as though some spells, like Judgement , Tempest , and Heck Hound are too powerful and rule the pvp world. Although I am sure we would all like to be able to kill an (or all of our) enemy(s) with a powerful spell, especially at only level 18 () or 28 (,), but these spells have moved into the pvp world and one of the only ways to stop them is mana burn , a level 72 balance spell, that can also be gained through boots from packs. The point is... these schools can really create powerful spells. Only weaknesses, tower shields and the like can decrease Judgement, and the Heck hound is over time so shields don't work.

I disagree~ a spell is only as good as the caster.

Let's forget about pvp for a sec, because I'm done catering to that set. They just whine and complain about how every spell used against them is overpowered... Got a problem with Judge? It's called stacking Weakness and Tower Shield. Heckhound got your knickers in a twist? Use Triage. Is Ice's immunity working your last nerve? Shatter and Infallible can fix that. Jade turtles? Infection and Doom. And the list goes on.

I am firmly against any kind of "rounding out" the schools. By your logic, Balance should get a DoT and a prism, plus Shatter and Cleanse Charm should be Balance spells; Life should get drains, Storm should get Ice's insane resist, etc., etc.

Since you've made this a pvp issue, I have this to say: I did well because I learned to always expect the unexpected and anticipate my opponent's next move before she had a chance to act on it. If I'm standing across from a myth wizard with full pips and I have blades up, I know exactly what's coming: at that point, I can choose to sacrifice my blades to the earthquake that I know is in that person's hand, attack that round so I don't lose said blades, shield, stun block... the possibilities are endless, but whatever I pick will take me in a very different direction.

I once fought a balance commander with a myth mastery amulet, who made it clear early on that she had a fondness for earthquake. I knew that I would have to hit her unbladed, so I did minor hits early on to make her waste her heals. I then discarded my blades and put up a bunch of stun blocks (which I know earthquake does not remove) and stacked traps on her, then I used tc infallible, shattered off her shields, and did 5600 damage through a tower and pvp elite gear, ending the match.

People in the arena are not stupid. They can and will use everything at their disposal to win that match (including buy rank by way of expensive crowns items, which I disagree with but KI has allowed) and, if you are unwilling to do the same, minus that last part, then that is no one's fault but your own.

I'm sorry if this comes across as mean; I'm not attacking you or being rude, but these are the facts. Rude would be lying to you.

-v.

Explorer
Jul 10, 2009
In early days of pvp? No. Now with all this hades gear and pierce yes they are honestly.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
No, spells and gear are OK now. For a while things were unbalanced with Jade gear and Ice resist, but Shrike and gear with more pierce fixed that.

The counter for x-pip spells is not to let them get big enough to kill you. Make your opponent waste pips on healing, or dispel, use weakness, shields, mana burn, lord of winter, etc.

I wish people would stop complaining about PvP. It seems to get good things in the game taken away and messed up. Everyone has the same options, so it is fair. Pick the school you like and learn to play it well and you will be fine.

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
kswgdog112 on Jan 11, 2014 wrote:

get back to me when i start are heal spells to powerful are drain spells too powerful are shields too powerful are weaknesses to powerful are blades too powerful are traps too powerful are armors to powerful and are minions too powerful just so we have covered all the strategy in the game anyways for all schools getting them i am still sickened by balance having a single attack x rank while storm doesn't so i am fine with all schools getting x rank attacks (as long as storm gets a new one that is single target)

Survivor
May 18, 2009
I don't think x-pip attack spells are too powerful. Since there are attack, defense, and healing spells, it relatively balances out in my opinion.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
X pip spells are good additions to the game.

One could argue judgment as being overpowered but remember x pip spells leave you with no pips when you cast them.

- judgment - balance needs this to remind everyone there is no balance shield!

- animate - i think myth should have got this spell personally - really should be x pip drain to one target but anyway

- troll/cyclops minions - minion school or at least it used to be

- tempest - an X pip attack all - perfect for storm they are the attack school only school that can ALWAYS attack all - sounds right to me - although i think they should have a SMALL aoe dot maybe maybe not - keyword is small

- absorb shields - defense school makes sense - frozen armor is nice - drawback like all x pip spells they leave you with no pips after cast- this school lacks extremley strong attacks because it has everything else lol

- heckhound - damge over time school - it's to only one target and the damage is split in 3 rounds so I think it is fair - lots of times heckhounds are predictable and plenty of counters for dot spells

- dryad - the healing school - it's for a maximum heal with current pip state - great spell for life

Not to mention that every school can be countered with a dispel as well. I don't think the X pip spells themselves are overpowered but it would be nice to myth and death get more use out of theirs

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
ViciousVenomousVix... on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
X pip spells are good additions to the game.

One could argue judgment as being overpowered but remember x pip spells leave you with no pips when you cast them.

- judgment - balance needs this to remind everyone there is no balance shield!

- animate - i think myth should have got this spell personally - really should be x pip drain to one target but anyway

- troll/cyclops minions - minion school or at least it used to be

- tempest - an X pip attack all - perfect for storm they are the attack school only school that can ALWAYS attack all - sounds right to me - although i think they should have a SMALL aoe dot maybe maybe not - keyword is small

- absorb shields - defense school makes sense - frozen armor is nice - drawback like all x pip spells they leave you with no pips after cast- this school lacks extremley strong attacks because it has everything else lol

- heckhound - damge over time school - it's to only one target and the damage is split in 3 rounds so I think it is fair - lots of times heckhounds are predictable and plenty of counters for dot spells

- dryad - the healing school - it's for a maximum heal with current pip state - great spell for life

Not to mention that every school can be countered with a dispel as well. I don't think the X pip spells themselves are overpowered but it would be nice to myth and death get more use out of theirs
I have stated from the beginning (since Ive been on the forum) that I dont understand why Death got a Myth spell. Death should have an X-pip attack spell. It doesnt HAVE to be a life sap spell, but the X-pip spells do tend to cater to the school's primary focus; which in death's case would be a life swap. I'd be fine if they changed Animate to be a Death Minion in line with the others, then give us Necromancers a real attack spell on the X-pip level.

Survivor
May 26, 2012
Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
Catsarefluffy2003 on Jan 25, 2014 wrote:
Ice Armour is pretty over powered
Ice/Frozen armor isn't over powered, I can think of many way to get around it: Dispel, steal ward, shatter, pierce, earthquake, so it isn't over powered.

"I am still sickened by balance having a single attack x rank while storm doesn't so i am fine with all schools getting x rank attacks", critical blizzard you can not be serious? Wow judgment only does a 100 damage per pip to SINGLE target, while Tempest does 95 ( I think ) to ALL targets. If you have maxed out pips judgment will do 1400 damage and tempest will do 1330 damage to everyone. So I don't see why your sick by this lol

Explorer
Jul 15, 2012
To answer your question, it depends, that si why they are X-pip, they can be super bad or amazingly strong depending on how many pips you want to put into them.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Diamond Dust on Jan 26, 2014 wrote:
Ice/Frozen armor isn't over powered, I can think of many way to get around it: Dispel, steal ward, shatter, pierce, earthquake, so it isn't over powered.

"I am still sickened by balance having a single attack x rank while storm doesn't so i am fine with all schools getting x rank attacks", critical blizzard you can not be serious? Wow judgment only does a 100 damage per pip to SINGLE target, while Tempest does 95 ( I think ) to ALL targets. If you have maxed out pips judgment will do 1400 damage and tempest will do 1330 damage to everyone. So I don't see why your sick by this lol
I agree with this re: ice armour~ as a balance wizard, I always carry shatter and steal ward, plus infallible, to counter this.

a full-pip judge does 1400 base, if you're not dr. von~ my judge can hit around 1000-1200 with only 3 pips, so i'm kinda scary (lol)... but i put a lot of work into my wizard, even though i loathe balance with every fibre of my being. it's just a matter of making do with what you have.

-v.
promethean , , and
legendary
master and
magus