Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Debate about gear!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 03, 2013
My girlfriend and I play W101 together. I play when I am home from work so sometimes she looks for gear for me! she believes that even though I am Pyro that its better to have gear that has 1-2 accuracy rather than 3-5 fire accuracy? I am in Mooshu now and level 43 this is my first character I started playing in the beginning of November so I still have a lot to learn. sometimes I find really great gear but if it doesn't have overall accuracy I usually just sell it on the bazaar! Any help or ideas on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew GreenBlade

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
At level 50 fire, you need, Fire damage, and health. thats about it, if you get crowns with resist and damage good job, but at that level not much else is needed, Sure you fizzle sometimes but look at it positively, you get more pips to stay on your feet after your hit :)

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
there are many other factors please describe every single attribute of each piece

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
If you use only damage spells in your main school and have at least enough universal to not fizz heals (+10%) all you need is your main school. If you are using mastery and other spells, it might be better to have universal. I love the Sharp Shot pet talent. If i have that and my school boost gear I'm fizzle free.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
rhonin30 on Dec 16, 2013 wrote:
My girlfriend and I play W101 together. I play when I am home from work so sometimes she looks for gear for me! she believes that even though I am Pyro that its better to have gear that has 1-2 accuracy rather than 3-5 fire accuracy? I am in Mooshu now and level 43 this is my first character I started playing in the beginning of November so I still have a lot to learn. sometimes I find really great gear but if it doesn't have overall accuracy I usually just sell it on the bazaar! Any help or ideas on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Matthew GreenBlade
Gear from the Bazaar is what I use with that level wizard. I visit it every 5 levels to see if anything else is better across the board.

Drill down your search by selecting usable then narrow it more by clicking on level so it lists high to low then school so the Fire gear shows up.

Mary

Survivor
Nov 03, 2013
I am level 44 with gear as follows:

Woodsmans Veil Vestment of Assistance Smoggers Affected Boots Smokeys Staff of the Sun
+35 health +255 health +40 health +1 pip
+1% accuracy +2% power pip +1% fire accuracy 5 super fireball cards
+3% attack +5% defense +3% fire attack
+3% defense +6% fire defense
+1% power pip

Knife of Preoccupation Meowiartys Satyrical Choker Ring of Purpose
+9% power pip 1 Satyr card 990 heal +135 health
+119 mana

That is what I am working with now and was wandering if I am gearing properly!
Once again I thank everyone for your time and responses!

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Hello rhonin,

My daughter has a wizard slightly higher than your wizard, and I always make the Accuracy stat" my priority when gearing her out. In my opinion, accuracy is more important than boosted damage as a "fizzle" equals ZERO damage .

Northlite's advice on how to search for gear in the Bazaar is spot on, while others made some good suggestions for your consideration as well. When visiting the Bazaar, you will notice gaps in "good" gear at certain levels. Please consider researching specific dungeons to "farm" with your girlfriend, if you both have the patience, or you may have the means to purchase "Crown" gear, but keep in mind you will out-level the gear. Some people like to farm the materials and craft gear from the recipe vendors.

As you approach Level 50, and move beyond the core game's content, you will acquire gear with additional stats like "Critical Hit" & "Critical Block." It's up to you which one you favor, but you will always need Accuracy to compensate for your 75% base and the fizzle factor.

The Celestia zone offers you new Trainers in 3 "Astral" schools, and they offer spells for boosting accuracy, damage, and resistance piercing among others.

Should you need help, I am usually on the Lincoln Realm questing due to its low population, and I only appear on busier Realms if I get stalemated on content. KI makes it so you can't message me, so if you need me, I peruse these message boards quite often and can respond to you relatively quickly.

I hope some of this advice helps you in your game-play. Best of luck to you and your girlfriend in-game.

Gabriel Archmage

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
rhonin30 on Dec 17, 2013 wrote:
I am level 44 with gear as follows:

Woodsmans Veil Vestment of Assistance Smoggers Affected Boots Smokeys Staff of the Sun
+35 health +255 health +40 health +1 pip
+1% accuracy +2% power pip +1% fire accuracy 5 super fireball cards
+3% attack +5% defense +3% fire attack
+3% defense +6% fire defense
+1% power pip

Knife of Preoccupation Meowiartys Satyrical Choker Ring of Purpose
+9% power pip 1 Satyr card 990 heal +135 health
+119 mana

That is what I am working with now and was wandering if I am gearing properly!
Once again I thank everyone for your time and responses!
The trick with gear is to learn how to balance it all to get out of your wizard at least decent to good game play. Your choices are vast but I gather it's because they figure everyone has different play style? Mine is hit and run, it's like a stop watch is going the minute I enter the battle ring. I know I put a lot of time and effort into thought of what is best for my wizards. I wish it was more clear what is best also.

That being said I equip all Fire Only gear on my wizard though lvl 55 or so, at least. I try to balance health, pips, accuracy, damage. If you are paring with another wizard to quest you can relax some stats in favor of upping others, such as lower health in favor of higher damage or pips. You are one level away from when gear does start to get better and around mid Mooshu game play does start to step up a little. Accuracy effects fizzle rate so building some in is a help.

I don't buy crown gear as it is only useful for a certain amount of levels. I rarely am able to use dropped gear but I do sell it to buy better gear. At early levels it may mean selling everything you win, down to seeds and unused Treasure Cards and using the Bazaar for most but shops to sell the no auction stuff, then I sock the rest of the gold toward other things like mount and house. Doing side areas like Crab Alley, Wysteria and Grizzlehiem into Wintertusk help amass gold so by Celestia I am well set on it.

Mary