Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I hatched my first pet, and I'm kinda confuse

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 20, 2013
I thought hatching pets together always brought a new species... instead I just got another Spirit of Nature... I noticed her talents are mixed up a bit at least it looks like it and her stats are better but what can I even do with these? I don't like racing in derbys so what do talents and stats even matter??? I'm really disappointed I thought I'd get something like the Nightmare ((Offspring of a Helephant and a Unicorn))...

PS: My in-game name is Elizabeth Rosegem, I'm a level 29 even if you aren't going to be helpful I'd like it if you replied. I'm looking to make friends...

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Kca189TheGreat on Nov 19, 2013 wrote:
I thought hatching pets together always brought a new species... instead I just got another Spirit of Nature... I noticed her talents are mixed up a bit at least it looks like it and her stats are better but what can I even do with these? I don't like racing in derbys so what do talents and stats even matter??? I'm really disappointed I thought I'd get something like the Nightmare ((Offspring of a Helephant and a Unicorn))...

PS: My in-game name is Elizabeth Rosegem, I'm a level 29 even if you aren't going to be helpful I'd like it if you replied. I'm looking to make friends...
Not all, and in fact very few, pets have hybrids (or new breeds). What you get is one of the parents, but the talents will [usually] be a combination of the parents' talents.

Defender
Apr 17, 2009
I think when you hatch those two it turns into a 33% chance type thing because there are 3 outcomes, 1) Unicorn, 2) Helephant, or 3)Nightmare
33% chance of any of those, I don't what to do with the other 1% lol

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
When you hatch you will usually get the appearance of one of the parent pets, and a mix of traits from both pets. Some particular combinations of pets will produce new unique hybrid pets.

For a full overview, go here:www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Basic:Pets

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Hybrid pets are rare, and not all pets create them. Unless you are very lucky you will end up with what you received a pet that looks like one of the parents with mixed traits. Good luck hatching.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
It sometimes brings a new species , but most of the time it produces a copy with better stats. The improved stats will help you in battle (increased health, power pip chance, spritely, etc.)

Survivor
Dec 23, 2009
Not all hatchings will give you a new pet/hybrid. Some crossings will though.....what are you trying to get from a hatching?

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
Depending on what pets you hatch with, you might get the same one. Hybrids are somewhat rare and only happen with certain pets. Try going to the Wizard101 wiki and looking up hybrid pets. Train your pet to get talents that affect your character. Good Luck!!

Dustin Sky

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
No, mixing pets doesn't always make a unique looking pet. There are some specific pets that when bred together can make an entirely different pet but not all. Most of the earlier first generation pets were the ones that could be put together to make a unique pet like Death's Wraith pet with Balance's Hydra pet has a chance to make a new pet called a Reaver. Now, it's the talent and sometimes the spell card a pet carries that players covet when considering which pet to mix to another pet. The numbers can have importance for certain talents like Spell Proof and Spell Defy are dictated by how high the pet's Agility, Strength, and Power is.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2013
Talon Dragonblood on Nov 20, 2013 wrote:
Not all hatchings will give you a new pet/hybrid. Some crossings will though.....what are you trying to get from a hatching?
Something with as many spells they may cast as possible and that gives a nice card. I was only thinking about having a new rare pet when I hatched them together. I've never used pets for anything other than as accessories and giving extra cards in battle...