Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Common Sense

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2013
To all menu chat users:

Things I want to say to you while helping you:
  • I'm pretty sure that being an ice wizard I know to "use damage on enemies."
  • If your defeated, you don't have to spam that you need healing, especially if I tell you I can't.
  • If you do not have considerable resist, PACK SHIELDS PLEASE. In the past I have had to polymorph treant 5 times in a battle (reshuffling twice) to heal a storm that had no resist, less than 2000 health, and didn't ever use shields or heals. Not only that, but at a certain point I died as well due to lack of treant resist. If you don't have them trained, visit the WC librarian, he will have very cheap treasure card shields.
  • Don't worry, after taking fighting the same boss probably more than 10 times, have you die multiple times in a battle, and healing you with treant, you don't have to thank me. (I hope everyone got that sarcasm)
  • While helping you fight the Jaberwoki, it might be good if you have better than level 15+ gear on, getting around a 2% boost to fire, 1% storm and ice resist, no prisms, 3% accuracy, no critical, no block, and best of all, about 20% power pips. This person also did not carry shields. :D
  • Actually, fire dragon with only one prism might not be enough to kill a fire creature in Zafaria.
  • If you have multiple treasure card traps and blades on, it might not be best if you attacked with a centaur, if your enemy has a life shield on. (and yes, I'm sure they were aware of this.)
  • Believe it or not, wearing Pigswick Academy Uniforms will not help you whatsoever in Mooshu.
  • Buying tons of crowns to spend on items that have horrible stats or are like 10 levels under you is not smart.
  • No, casting freeze repeatedly on bosses that are stun immune will not have any effect.
  • To storms: (this is a big one) PLEASE, if you have less than 1000 health, and so does your one opponent, planning to use triton and then going, "Oh, well look! I have wild bolt! I'll just use that!" is a horrible choice.

Sorry about that, but I just had to vent.

Not everyone makes mistakes like these, but I just need those of you that do to know that is discourages the person that spends hours helping you.

Thank you for reading.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
You are a better wizard than I; after single occurrence of what you described I would have left them to their own devices. That may be mean to some, but when you don't make proper gaming choices to maximize your effectiveness in battle and expect others to pick up your slack, it is problem, specifically yours so address it before hand; especially when what can be communicated is severely limited via menu chat, spamming what you think you need or want won't make me do it. Be clear and precise as possible and say it only once.

Defender
Oct 21, 2010
Omegagan on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
You are a better wizard than I; after single occurrence of what you described I would have left them to their own devices. That may be mean to some, but when you don't make proper gaming choices to maximize your effectiveness in battle and expect others to pick up your slack, it is problem, specifically yours so address it before hand; especially when what can be communicated is severely limited via menu chat, spamming what you think you need or want won't make me do it. Be clear and precise as possible and say it only once.
I'm with Omegagan, I have very little tolerance for wizards like that.

It's been suggested many times, but here it is aging: the menu chat menu needs to be expanded. There should be a special section for cheats with phrases like Do you understand the cheats? or something along those lines. Also, a bit off topic, but after getting my storm wizard into Celestia, she made friends with a few nice wizards with menu chat, and while fighting, one asked for help. I realized that the phrase it has to tell another person you are in a battle is One minute, I'm busy fighting which implies that you will help them later (which I wasnt planning on doing). I would like an option that says something more like Sorry, I'm busy fighting that dosent imply that you will help them.

-Well, See Ya In The Spiral!!

Julia DragonLeaf

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
VERY well said both of you. Yes I agree there are some find menu chat players in this game but it is the ones that just think they can ride our coattails that really annoy me. I wish they would all play like the wise ones. I do hope they read this and learn. Thank you for bringing this to the surface.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
As the game has evolved to more and more serious content and the players shift from children to more older (13+) players, I guess, this is going to happen.

It used to be different in the beginning days with Wizards, we all helped each other not matter how we were geared for it, we were all on a fun magical adventure, then Celestia came out.

I am just not sure I agree with your post or not? Maybe it's because I have patience and a very low competitive nature?

Survivor
Feb 11, 2010
ThatHelpfulThaumat... on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
To all menu chat users:

Things I want to say to you while helping you:
  • I'm pretty sure that being an ice wizard I know to "use damage on enemies."
  • If your defeated, you don't have to spam that you need healing, especially if I tell you I can't.
  • If you do not have considerable resist, PACK SHIELDS PLEASE. In the past I have had to polymorph treant 5 times in a battle (reshuffling twice) to heal a storm that had no resist, less than 2000 health, and didn't ever use shields or heals. Not only that, but at a certain point I died as well due to lack of treant resist. If you don't have them trained, visit the WC librarian, he will have very cheap treasure card shields.
  • Don't worry, after taking fighting the same boss probably more than 10 times, have you die multiple times in a battle, and healing you with treant, you don't have to thank me. (I hope everyone got that sarcasm)
  • While helping you fight the Jaberwoki, it might be good if you have better than level 15+ gear on, getting around a 2% boost to fire, 1% storm and ice resist, no prisms, 3% accuracy, no critical, no block, and best of all, about 20% power pips. This person also did not carry shields. :D
  • Actually, fire dragon with only one prism might not be enough to kill a fire creature in Zafaria.
  • If you have multiple treasure card traps and blades on, it might not be best if you attacked with a centaur, if your enemy has a life shield on. (and yes, I'm sure they were aware of this.)
  • Believe it or not, wearing Pigswick Academy Uniforms will not help you whatsoever in Mooshu.
  • Buying tons of crowns to spend on items that have horrible stats or are like 10 levels under you is not smart.
  • No, casting freeze repeatedly on bosses that are stun immune will not have any effect.
  • To storms: (this is a big one) PLEASE, if you have less than 1000 health, and so does your one opponent, planning to use triton and then going, "Oh, well look! I have wild bolt! I'll just use that!" is a horrible choice.

Sorry about that, but I just had to vent.

Not everyone makes mistakes like these, but I just need those of you that do to know that is discourages the person that spends hours helping you.

Thank you for reading.
I know exactly what you mean. I went into Tartarus with 3 menu chatters! THREE! Took me north of 2 and a half hours to finish. I don't understand why people have menu chat. Its so easy to turn it off. And the chat restrictions are so strict, there's no reason why you even need it.

Sean Goldblood 90 42

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Northlite on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:
As the game has evolved to more and more serious content and the players shift from children to more older (13+) players, I guess, this is going to happen.

It used to be different in the beginning days with Wizards, we all helped each other not matter how we were geared for it, we were all on a fun magical adventure, then Celestia came out.

I am just not sure I agree with your post or not? Maybe it's because I have patience and a very low competitive nature?
Yes, I tend to agree with Northlite on this one.

It can be frustrating when younger players don't play with well thought out strategy. But please remember, they are younger players! They are doing the best they can for their age, and they are trying to get into the game. If they give advice that seems silly to us older players, it is just young enthusiasm not knowing better.

If I keep that view in mind, then their behavior is not so frustrating. You only get upset by these things, if you expect young people to act and think like old people. But if you remember that you are the older player with a better ability to understand the game and what works and does not work, then you can play with a bit of generosity and compassion for people who don't yet get it. It is not that they are trying to be irritating. They are just still learning -- still learning the game, still learning how to think and act, still learning about life and how to interact with people.

Frustration does not come from how others act. Frustration comes from ourselves in how we expect others to act, because others rarely behave how we expect them to. If you expect a young child to act and think like an adult or even a young adult, you will be frustrated.

So, yes, much of what was posted to start the thread is "common sense" for someone old enough to have chat text, who also understands gaming strategy. But common sense is something we learn over time. Young people normally have a lot of learning to do. Knowing that fact can eliminate a lot of the upset before it ever starts.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Northlite on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:

I understand your point, before CL came out and the need for more strategy, I had much more patience and helped more people with menu chat or didn't understand what to do; since if an attack got nerfed it was no big deal. Now it takes so much time to do even MOB battles that I just don't have the patience to keep attempting to be defeated and port back. I still assist and help younger players and those new to the game, but usually only through MS if they are menu chat. As long as they learn and do their part I keep helping. I don't think I'm being unrealistic in my expectations as several kids, young-6-13 years-family members and their friends have learned from me and enjoy the game until a new activity or game catches their interest. I get kid behavior and I hold people to the standard they demonstrate they can function and I am clear on my expectations and what will cause me to stop helping.

There seems to be a disconnect between degree of game difficulty, chat options, and safe communications. That is my frustration, and since it is mine I'll have to find a way to deal with it.