Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm survival guide: Ponce de Gibbon edition

AuthorMessage
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
K, so I've already completed Azteca with 2 other wizards (balance and death). Neither of them ran into any real problems, seeing as both those schools have actual defensive stats, but that's not the point.

A few minutes ago, I attempted to solo Ponce de Gibbon's ship... How in the Spiral can a Storm wizard with less than 3000 health survive those steroid cheats, especially when there's only one of her and two of them? Is the instance even soloable, or is it one of those ones that "requires" a group?

I have pretty-good stats for a Storm wizard. I have:

-my Waterworks/ Avalon crafted gear;
-172 universal block;
-perfect accuracy;
-27 resist across the board;
-Tower Shields and stun blocks out the wazoo;
-a pet with fairy.

But that doesn't mean anything when his basilisk bypasses my stun block and his cheat Beguile is 1/5 of my health. Most of my friends don't play anymore, so I haven't got many options, but something's gotta give, guys~ help a poor little Storm wizard out?

-v.
Sestiva Stormblade, archmage of amazingness.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2008
im a storm wiz and let me tell you getting good gear for storm wiz's is hard I get it for every school but my own..i don't know if im reading the stats wrong but storm gear for higher levels....is ummm ..horrible..only way I can put it storm needs to be healed a lot to survive ..but if you get good heal gear you are going to sacrifice something...so all I can tell you is make a life friend and travel together...but make sure the life wiz actually likes to heal every now and then....no offense lifers but ever since fluffy came out you really don't want to heal....kudoo's to those who do

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
He casts his mark every 4 rounds. Load up on Melt TC from bazaar or get an ice wizard to help. Keep casting a Melt on him before each cycle of 4 rounds and you can avoid the whole cheat cycle. Also, he doesn't bypass stun shields, the marker just LOOKS like a stun shield. The cheat can also be avoided by attacking him the round after being marked, it can be a simple wand even.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Dr Von on Oct 7, 2013 wrote:
K, so I've already completed Azteca with 2 other wizards (balance and death). Neither of them ran into any real problems, seeing as both those schools have actual defensive stats, but that's not the point.

A few minutes ago, I attempted to solo Ponce de Gibbon's ship... How in the Spiral can a Storm wizard with less than 3000 health survive those steroid cheats, especially when there's only one of her and two of them? Is the instance even soloable, or is it one of those ones that "requires" a group?

-172 universal block;
-perfect accuracy;
-a pet with fairy.

But that doesn't mean anything when his basilisk bypasses my stun block and his cheat Beguile is 1/5 of my health. Most of my friends don't play anymore, so I haven't got many options, but something's gotta give, guys~ help a poor little Storm wizard out?

-v.
I would recommend this strategy-
Have a 2nd person with you (I would do life, but anything works). Then, I would buy a few "Melt" spells from the bazaar (the ice dispels). On the first round, cast an ice dispel. On the second turn, the stun shield that triggers all the cheats will fail to work. After that, cast another ice dispel on him. For each additional round he tries to cats an ice spell use another Melt.
You will have to use your pips, but that won't be much of a problem. The rest of the fight will be normal (aside from the ice spells). Kill the minion first in this way because it will be quicker and you can get straight to your monkey boss.
Use your other person to either fight, heal, or blade in this situation. Hopefully, at the end of this battle, you have won and can continue along with your questing.

This may help others fight him that had no clue what I just said-
Click here!

-Molly level 83 balance (successfully completed him while helping my friend quest. This strategy works! We won!)

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
If storm and another school doesn't work for you, try this-
Death, balance, life, storm.

Get the death to drain health and kill the minion, while balance does the blades, traps, and shields, while life heals all of you to keep you alive, and you delivering all the big damage. This setup works best for boss fights in later worlds.

If you are not Balance, Life, Death, or Storm and need help with Ponce de Gibbon-
If you are Ice- Have storm, life, and death with you. You take balance's place. Rest stay the same.
If you are fire- have storm, balance and life with you. You take death's place. Rest stay the same.
If you are myth- this one will be completely different. You can do the minion, while a storm does the boss. Your life heals, and your balance blades + shields.

Note- DO NOT USE BALANCE FOR HEALING.
HOT do not work. If your teammate is dead, then you do helping hand, your opponent can finish them off.

Champion
Dec 03, 2012
Dr Von on Oct 7, 2013 wrote:

-172 universal block;
-perfect accuracy;
-a pet with fairy.

-v.
I feel bad posting for a 3rd time, but I realized that you said that you didn't have many active friends. He is soloable, however, you need a massive deck and a ton of healing, shielding, blading, and trapping treasure cards. Try looking around Azteca- avoid the nasty. Find your wizards and invite them. I, unfortunately, will not be available. I only have a limited amount of time on the computer each day and I am afraid I will have to quit.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
geez56 on Nov 22, 2013 wrote:
im a storm wiz and let me tell you getting good gear for storm wiz's is hard I get it for every school but my own..i don't know if im reading the stats wrong but storm gear for higher levels....is ummm ..horrible..only way I can put it storm needs to be healed a lot to survive ..but if you get good heal gear you are going to sacrifice something...so all I can tell you is make a life friend and travel together...but make sure the life wiz actually likes to heal every now and then....no offense lifers but ever since fluffy came out you really don't want to heal....kudoo's to those who do
Oh, I eventually got through it solo~ it took about 5 tries, but the cards eventually worked in my favour. Storm gear is kind of horrible (compared to my Balance and Death wizards, who both have actual defensive stats), but I've made do with what I have available.

PS: the reason most lifers don't like healing is because it's expected (and usually demanded) of them. I have a level 63 Life wizard, whose Fluffy is so awesome that I don't carry heals outside of dungeons. If we are in a group and have agreed that my job is to heal, that's one thing~ outright demanding it is another story entirely, because it's rude and makes people not want to help you.

All of my wizards are self-sustaining. They can heal and buff themselves and don't have to rely on others to complete most things; therefore, I'm very grateful when any friend takes the time out of her (or his) day to help me... Company is nice, even if it's not immediately required.

-von