Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Spell Detonate

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 23, 2008
I have just gotten my spell Detonate (lvl 72 fire) and it seems pointless because lets say you use a over time spell like rain of fire you have to get 4 pips right after it to maybe get it on the last one, I don't think its very useful at all even for pvp i think it should be 3 pips the most. I don't know just my thoughts, anyone have any ideas on how to use it so it isn't so bad?

Survivor
Jul 16, 2013
I can only find one use for it. And it can be fun, however, you'll need another spell with it!

On the Pendragon (In Avalon of course!), one of his cheats is the fire dragon that never runs out.

You'll need either a treasure card (if possible) or a myth wizard with you. But you shift (shift is a spell myth wizards get on that level 72) that damage over to the Pendragon, then detonate. Boom. Instant kill!

I guess if you want the enemy killed easier and you have a damage over time on him. Instead of waiting 3 rounds you can just weaken him/her instantly with that detonate? Giving you more rounds to attack.

Defender
Jul 26, 2009
its currently glitched and only does one tick. Rhymes with useless with that single glitch.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
Michael StormStalk... on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
I have just gotten my spell Detonate (lvl 72 fire) and it seems pointless because lets say you use a over time spell like rain of fire you have to get 4 pips right after it to maybe get it on the last one, I don't think its very useful at all even for pvp i think it should be 3 pips the most. I don't know just my thoughts, anyone have any ideas on how to use it so it isn't so bad?
I'd say that the spell is more useful in pvp than pve.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Honestly I think detonate should be removed and replaced with a better spell.

Administrator
KOblivion on Sep 23, 2013 wrote:
its currently glitched and only does one tick. Rhymes with useless with that single glitch.
I have our team looking at this issue now.

community@wizard101.com
Historian
May 06, 2009
I don't think Detonate needs to be removed. I think it's function may need to be reworked.

From my first understanding of the spell, and how all the other over time effect spells some schools got (Cooldown, and Shift) were working, I think most Fire players don't know how to use it or are in positions were they can not really use the full potential.

I think Detonate was designed to take 1 damage over time spell on you (the Wizard), destroy that DoT, and deal the complete 100% damage that DoT was meant to do on your enemy. That's how I've seen it best utilized, when the DoT is on you not your enemy.

I've yet to see someone have a DoT on their enemy and destroy that DoT with Detonate and still get the same effect. Last time I saw it, the person wasn't dealt anything, it just removed the spell on them. So definitely works better if the DoT is on yourself like how Shift and Cooldown work. I think the spell discribtion should squeeze in "on Self." That way we could potentially see fewer of these problems Fire players say.

Survivor
Nov 23, 2008
I Dont find this fair lol fire got the most confusing spell and the worst one :( waste of pips and it is useless in the first place :( I hope K I can notice 90% of pyromancers do not enjoy the spell :( and maybe tweak it a little

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Detonate is used on your enemy. It's big usage would be in a well coordinated PvP or PvE team play where the fire wizard with this spell goes last on a team of four, maximizing the chances that a DoT will be successfully cast. In solo play, the spell's full potential can't be realized. The nature of all of these DoT manipulating spells is you have to have a DoT successfully cast before casting this. In order to have that happen, you waste a turn of DoT damage. Now true, they still get the damage, but the spell isnt as worthwhile as it would initially seem.

Two ways this spell could be improved:
1) If this spell put an icon on the enemy that you could use BEFORE you cast a DoT
2) If the spell became an Astral spell that could be applied BEFORE you cast the spell

As it is now, it's not only not worth the pips but it's not worth the real estate in my deck. I also don't like that you can't effectively use it with Heckhound either. If either of those two suggestions were to be incorporated, then it would work much better and heckhound could be a really nasty spell at higher levels.

If you guys find it useful, then all the power to you :)

BTW< how do Pyros in PvP feel? Is this a good spell to use in PvP? I don't do it, so you tell me please

Survivor
Nov 23, 2008
I don't use it in pvp my setup in pvp is to blade and then elemental blade shield(3x) then heckhound at all pips then keep spamming any small hit like power link or so :)

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Professor Greyrose ... any word on this?

I have a Promethean and am STILL waiting for detonate to be tweaked or even made somewhat useful.

As it stands, detonate is of ZERO use. It will completely remove the damage over time and deal ONE ROUND worth of damage. Why would anyone spend 4 pips to REDUCE the damage already on the enemy target?

You HELP the enemy by casting it in reality.

Off the top of my head, DETONATE has to be the worst spell ever as it really does not have a function in its current state.

I understand has many spells in its arsenal but DETONATE itself needs fixed.

An upgraded steal charm would be fair as a few other posters have mentioned (overpowered pvp wise probably; even at 3-5 pips) but how fair is it that has enfeeble and disarm (and disarm's opposite cleanse), whilst has steal charm but no other variants?

gets smokescreen. Very useful among all the pets and super high accuracy these days. lol

's Enfeeble is VERY defensive and useful as
's Embolden (What I'm calling it) would be offensively overpowered.

I understand Enfeeble helps survive longer and really doesn't need a way to steal more blades.

I do love the idea of detonate just make it function as the card reads. If you make it 2 pips it will be a KILLER for in 1v1 especially when paired with heckhound. At 4 pips (if its fixed) detonate could be a sucker punch in itself if you're right after a , , , , or teammate. You could instantly deal their full spell's damage immediately.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
As of right now you'd simply just remove their attack and do a single round of damage a/k/a 1/3 of the actual damage over time.

I'm thinking maybe this spell idea wasn't thought out all too well before it was released and when KI realized they goofed they decided they couldn't fix it because it would be too overpowered. Then they just never decided what to do with it? Maybe hoped we'd forget about it...

The spell itself would make the real master of DOT, since all but and have some trained.

Detonate is the only spell (despite MAYBE dimensional shift) with absolutely NO situation or purpose of use in its current state.

Please fix this spell (don't make it like 9 pips - it is a utility spell after all)

Thank you for reading.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Over 3 months ago this issue was being looked at still NOTHING for a reply.

Please fix this spell. This issue needs resolved. The spell HELPS your enemy. Enough is enough it's the worst spell currently in the game at least give it a function.

Thank you.

-92 that is too bored to finish Khrysalis due to the difficulty reduction. :(

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
I've used it by putting a trap, then a DoT, then using it and it activates the trap. But that only works if you're casting first, and I can't think of any other use for it. It's odd.
-Samantha Stormsword lvl 76

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Seems to me the best way to add value to this spell is the creation of a DoT spell that lasts longer than three rounds. Even a four round DoT would improve this spell, but I would suggest a six round DoT. The DoT would be lower than current high level DoTs for each turn, but would naturally be higher total damage than current DoTs after the end of six rounds. In this instance, Detonate would be useful in a solo or 1v1 to keep the total damage intact without losing damage to Triage or Cooldown. In a group situation, it would still function much like it does now.

Either that or reduce the cost to 2 pips.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
That doesn't make any sense. It still does one round of damage of the spell and not the full spell damage. So again there is absolutely no reason at all ever to use this spell with its current function.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
ViciousVenomousVix... on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
That doesn't make any sense. It still does one round of damage of the spell and not the full spell damage. So again there is absolutely no reason at all ever to use this spell with its current function.
This card is has a very specific use. There are those of us Pyromancers that feel this is a wasted card; like I do. I feel the BEST use of this card would be PREcast (like a Sun School). If the card stays the way it is, then the BEST strategy is to be on a full team of 4, with the pyromancer going last, and the 3 people before the Pyro to cast DoT spells. This way, you can guarantee it'll get the MOST usage out of it. That, as I can see (altho I have never put the card in my deck and I dont PvP), is its only effective use. Anything other than that and it loses its power. I would much rather this spell got put into the Sun School and then pyromancers got a new spell in return. it just seems to make sense (to me) that this should be a precast spell vs a post cast; especially since every school could take advantage of it.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
I mean c'mon it doesn't even do what the card says it is supposed to do. There is no use for it right now. It does NOT work at all. Broken. Please fix this spell thank you.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
ViciousVenomousVix... on Jan 6, 2014 wrote:
I mean c'mon it doesn't even do what the card says it is supposed to do. There is no use for it right now. It does NOT work at all. Broken. Please fix this spell thank you.
KI already indicated they are looking into it for a fix. Honestly, it probably isn't a high priority for them given that most players don't even use Detonate, even if it wasn't broken in its current form.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
Fix detonate please. Next week will be 4 months since they said they were checking into it. Can we at least know you haven't forgotten about this? A plethora of ideas have been offered.

Thank You.

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
This spell has been fixed. Thank you again. The card does as it says.