Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions about Multi/DoT Attacks

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2013
Ok so bit of a noob question here lol

This has just been bugging me for a while now, and I've always wondered, Double attacks like minotaur for instance, do the blades go for both attacks, and do the shields/traps go for both attacks, or is it that I would need two blades on me and two traps on my opponent for it to affect the spell.

Second, the first time I saw minotaur, I thought it uses multiple shields/blades, but then I saw Hydra, another multi-attack. To my knockledge, if I have a elemental blade on me, hydra will use the ice blade, then ice attack, then use the fire blade, then fire attack, then use the storm blade, then storm attack. What happens with a balanceblade? With the elemental blade, each head would hit for 256, but if I had a balanceblade on, would only the ice one hit using the balanceblade, meaning I would need an elemental blade and three balance blades, or would it affect all three attacks? Is the same true for traps/shields?

DoT.

Frostbite is 70 + 480 over three rounds, which means if I have an iceblade on, it hits for 98 and 224 every round. So if the enemy has an -80% ice shield, does that mean is 20 and 224 every round or is it 20 and 45?

Thanks in advance for responding

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Blades boost for the entirety of your attack, but traps only work for the next hit. So a minotaur would use up the first trap with it's weak attack. You would need a second trap if you wanted to boost for the main damage from the second attack of the minotaur. But a balance or myth blade on the minotaur will boost for both attacks.

Balance blades work for all three attacks of the hydra, so you only need one balance blade per hydra attack. And yes, since each head is a different element, each head's attack uses a different elemental blade. So a balance blade plus an elemental blade on a hydra would be 1.25 x 1.35 = 1.68, or a 68% boost to damage for each head of the hydra.

In your Frostbite example, the first hit from your bladed Frostbite would take out that 80% shield, so it would be 20 for the initial attack and then 224 per round over three rounds. This is why DOTS can be so powerful because they can break shields then do full damage with the rest of their attack.

Good questions. It took me awhile to figure out the trap thing when I first started playing too. Of course, you also need to take into account your characters general damage boost too when making these calculations.

Survivor
May 13, 2013
Malt22 on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
Blades boost for the entirety of your attack, but traps only work for the next hit. So a minotaur would use up the first trap with it's weak attack. You would need a second trap if you wanted to boost for the main damage from the second attack of the minotaur. But a balance or myth blade on the minotaur will boost for both attacks.

Balance blades work for all three attacks of the hydra, so you only need one balance blade per hydra attack. And yes, since each head is a different element, each head's attack uses a different elemental blade. So a balance blade plus an elemental blade on a hydra would be 1.25 x 1.35 = 1.68, or a 68% boost to damage for each head of the hydra.

In your Frostbite example, the first hit from your bladed Frostbite would take out that 80% shield, so it would be 20 for the initial attack and then 224 per round over three rounds. This is why DOTS can be so powerful because they can break shields then do full damage with the rest of their attack.

Good questions. It took me awhile to figure out the trap thing when I first started playing too. Of course, you also need to take into account your characters general damage boost too when making these calculations.
Thanks!

You know, I kind of assumed those answers (due to testing of snow angel and frostbite over the past few days), but it really helps to know exactly how it works so I don't mess up completely in battle

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
I just want to point out something in case you didn't notice it but, when you were talking about traps, that applies to prisms as well, so if you are fighting something of your own school(especially bosses) DoT, or multi to a single target, spells don't do quite as well. These type of spells are great against shields, but terrible against a solid amount of resistance.

Delver
Nov 05, 2011
Explorer
May 17, 2010
DoT is Damage over Time and in case your wondering DoE is Damage over Enemies (i.e. hit all spells)

Explorer
May 17, 2010
oops, sry, hit all is more commonly AoE for Attack over Enemies

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
MadisonWinterHorn on Sep 17, 2013 wrote:
What does DoT stand for?
Damage Over Time

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
What does DoT stand for?
Damage over Time

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
What does DoT stand for?
Damage over time.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
What does DoT stand for?
It stands for
Damage
Over
Time
Notice the DOT initials?

Defender
Jun 17, 2012
ThatHelpfulThaumat... on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
Ok so bit of a noob question here lol

This has just been bugging me for a while now, and I've always wondered, Double attacks like minotaur for instance, do the blades go for both attacks, and do the shields/traps go for both attacks, or is it that I would need two blades on me and two traps on my opponent for it to affect the spell.

Second, the first time I saw minotaur, I thought it uses multiple shields/blades, but then I saw Hydra, another multi-attack. To my knockledge, if I have a elemental blade on me, hydra will use the ice blade, then ice attack, then use the fire blade, then fire attack, then use the storm blade, then storm attack. What happens with a balanceblade? With the elemental blade, each head would hit for 256, but if I had a balanceblade on, would only the ice one hit using the balanceblade, meaning I would need an elemental blade and three balance blades, or would it affect all three attacks? Is the same true for traps/shields?

DoT.

Frostbite is 70 + 480 over three rounds, which means if I have an iceblade on, it hits for 98 and 224 every round. So if the enemy has an -80% ice shield, does that mean is 20 and 224 every round or is it 20 and 45?

Thanks in advance for responding
the blades count for all of the damage, however traps only enhance the first attack.

Justin firethief lvl 90 (finally lol)

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
I4C gr8ness on Sep 17, 2013 wrote:
oops, sry, hit all is more commonly AoE for Attack over Enemies
Actually, AoE is most commonly used for Area of Effect, because of the way wizard101 has their battle mechanics set up it doesn't really get used in this game too often as it makes some people think of the spells that hit all like blizzard, while others think of the 'bubble' spells, that make an status effect for everyone like balefrost or time of legend.