Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why is pet hatching so much money?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 18, 2013
OK seriously KI. You need to tone down the money needed for hatching. Just about 30000 every time for hatching. At that rate, yout would have better luck buying the pet. I can make an exception for pets that are only availible in the crowns shop, but I seriously think spending 30000 gold for a pet you already have makes me mad.

Trying to save up gold, Duncan Windleaf, Level 33 Magus Diviner

Survivor
Aug 03, 2009
Hatching is more based around higher levels. When you get to a high level you tend to have more money. Like I right now have around 300,000 coins aka the coin "limit." I could hatch around 10 pets without needing more money.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Duncan WindLeaf on Jul 20, 2013 wrote:
OK seriously KI. You need to tone down the money needed for hatching. Just about 30000 every time for hatching. At that rate, yout would have better luck buying the pet. I can make an exception for pets that are only availible in the crowns shop, but I seriously think spending 30000 gold for a pet you already have makes me mad.

Then don't hatch. I don't see KI changing this, and there's no reason to. It's gold, not crowns. Just farm, do quests, sell everything that drops and money builds quickly. FYI, there are some pets that cost well over that to hatch, so 30,000 isn't that bad.

Mastermind
Oct 15, 2010
Because you have to use Purreau's fancy machines! Farm, farm farm. Not only plants.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
Its cheap at high levels actually. But if you think it is too high either farm for the gold, or just simply do not hatch. Your choice.

Explorer
Nov 16, 2012
Reason is you dont really work for the pet. you dont farm for it and you can find all these nice pets that are hard to get and you could get hybrid pets from hatching and hybrids can't really be found from bosses. You can get colossus hybrids from some bosses. But you choose your pet you are ok with. If you dont like farming for pets its sort of easier to hatch. Example: If i wanted a Boss banshee pet i would have to kill a boss in dragonspyre but i may not get to lucky and may get tired and give up. but i could still hatch! You actually choose the pet you want badly. Another example: I want a pet kraken badly but i cant get it as a pet drop. But there is a hatchery! It helps you so you dont feel bad about not being able to get a pet you want. my point is hatching makes it easier then wasting time farming. pet drops are rare. But you could aways do like a couple battles. you may get pure luck but you do need to sell a lot of stuff. If you ever want a pet from a boss you could keep fighting the boss that has it while you get items from the boss and sell it for gold if you cant get the pet while farming for gold. But just so you know you wont aways get the pet you want. some of this is off topic but hatching cost so much money because it is a easier way to get nice rare pets. I know when i first saw that price i was like i will never be able to hatch! but i got storm scarecrows fire forest lords and a kraken :P sorry if its off topic a lot. i hope this helped!

Matthew deathspear
Grandmaster
Level 52

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Don't use mega pets to hatch. Use adult pets, Much cheaper eggs.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

KI did tone down the hatching prices shortly after implementing this idea. The prices were much higher than they are now. In game gold is not that hard to farm for.

There is never any guarantee what pet will hatch even when you hatch with a completely different pet. You may get the same pet you started with but the gene(talent) pool has been altered.

Survivor
Feb 11, 2013
In Zafaria hats/robes are over 100,000.

Survivor
May 15, 2011

Your straight up right i wasting gold every time i try to hatch i mean 50000 gold on a hatch between like sea dragon and a storm hound.

Trevor WildHead Archmage Necromancer

Delver
Jul 17, 2009
I think the amount of gold required should be based on your wizards level. That said, the pets should be untransferable to your other wizards. This way for a lower wizard who just spent all that time making two pets an adult can still have fun hatching.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Hatch cost depends on pedigree and manifest abilities. You want a good pet, it will cost more.

Try only leveling pet to adult before hatching, that way it will be slightly less gold. And don't waste snacks and gold on hatching pets who don't have two desirable abilities at adult. Picked up a selfish talent at teen? Out to pasture. (Never destroy the only copy of a pet you own - someone may want that pet's appearance and won't care what it's abilities are)

If you're level 50+ you can always go to Wintertusk and quest through it. Almost all the clothing drops there sell for around 2500-3000 gold. In very short order, you can have enough gold to hatch almost every day you're there. And if you have a buddy with you, you can go farm ol' Halfang, who is only a smidgen bigger than his bird minions and can be taken out with a single area hit.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010

Once I hatched for almost 50 000. That is cheap dude, then again I am promethean.

Defender
Sep 09, 2012
crunkatog on Aug 5, 2013 wrote:
Hatch cost depends on pedigree and manifest abilities. You want a good pet, it will cost more.

Try only leveling pet to adult before hatching, that way it will be slightly less gold. And don't waste snacks and gold on hatching pets who don't have two desirable abilities at adult. Picked up a selfish talent at teen? Out to pasture. (Never destroy the only copy of a pet you own - someone may want that pet's appearance and won't care what it's abilities are)

If you're level 50+ you can always go to Wintertusk and quest through it. Almost all the clothing drops there sell for around 2500-3000 gold. In very short order, you can have enough gold to hatch almost every day you're there. And if you have a buddy with you, you can go farm ol' Halfang, who is only a smidgen bigger than his bird minions and can be taken out with a single area hit.
You are right. Hatching with my heckhound is really cheap, but not orthrus.
Emma Emeraldsword lvl 55