Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fair Pvp is long gone

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
MiguelThefirst on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
Honestly, Fighting people your level would be way to easy at that point if your even able to beat level 90's, Instead of complaining get used to it and adapt, If your able to beat 90's good job, if not then get a strategy, or the best idea, Level up! This is one of the many reasons I don't like low level PvP, They complain if they fight a high level, well no one your level is going to be able to stop you, Fighting higher levels? Maybe its time to level up? Can't handle the higher levels? Oh well I guess you don't deserve Warlord.
level 95Warlord
level 95Commander
You make a point, kinda... But maybe he wants to battle at that lvl I understand battling lvl 60 to 65 being reasonable but unless you are battling someone with bad gear a lvl 50 against a lvl 80 or up is unfair, also you say just level up, low level pvp is fun and some people like it more than high level you can adapt to It like you said(but even if you do adapt a good lvl 80 or up will still be able to beat you) or KI can fix it so it would be fair, found the same problems when i do lvl 5 pvp, I find it more enjoyable than pvp on my level 95 and I go against level 40 and most every time I don't stand a chance even with good treasure cards, and stats

Level 95
Level 65

Survivor
May 26, 2012
My little sister has goon 4v4 her and a bunch of level 20s vs lvl 40+ They owned her with frost giant :(

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
Okay, I'm here to say that the pvp system is horrible. No, it can't be perfect, but right now, it's all about wild bolt, wild bolt, you win. I don't use level 95 pvp because of the sole reason for how the critical is. And I don't have enough crowns or money to by back training points for better school, so I go by low level pvp. I'm a level 18 And it is horrendously bad right now. No matter how you stick it, pvp should be testing about your skills, cunning techniques to win. But I keep entering a battle with a level 40 - 50! Even if you are a warlord, you shouldn't be fighting someone who is 2x stronger than you, no 3x! With my luck, I NEVER go first, and die almost immediately to a wild bolt. I can't possibly fight someone who is higher health, bigger deck, better cards, and better pets! Being a warlord doesn't mean anything here, someone who has experience fighting shouldn't be fighting someone who can easily OHKO you. This isn't fair at the slightest bit! I'd rather fight some one of the same rank, not someone who is so OP that you have no chance of winning. Might've been different if I went first, but sadly, my luck is as good as this games pvp ranking system. Make us fight by rank and at least 5 levels difference! NOT 30 OR 40 LEVELS MORE!

Survivor
Dec 19, 2011
I agree with you about how unfair the matching is. I have a lvl 16 balance and i get lvl 30-50 and i would say 98% of the time i am second to them. KI needs to seriously fix this. It is far from fair that just because of rank you should have to face someone more than double your lvl. If they can make it fair in tourneys they can do the same for ranked. And their saying that only happens when you are in the queue for a long time is just false. I have got a match as soon as i click to join and had a lvl 40+.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I too agree. I am finally having some success with my level 14, and made it to commander. Now I keep fighting people level 30+. I start with 2 or 3 pips, they start with 5 or 6. My deck is half theirs. Unless I get crazy lucky, there really is no chance of winning these kinds of matches -- especially not if they have good pets & gear. They only need to shield for a while until my spell deck is out of good spells and TC. That is, if they don't get first strike and just smash me before I can even do anything at all.

I don't mind fighting other people my level or fairly close to it. I have beaten one or two people fairly high above me, but only when they have basically no clue about how to PVP. So yes, there are some higher-level privates who have only fought AI and who underestimate what a low-level thinking opponent can do, especially when TC come into play. But really, not that many. Most people with a basic awareness of strategy can easily beat someone half their level, regardless of PVP rank. The power discrepancy is just too great.

Seems to me the level difference should be kept to within about ten levels between players, at least in 1v1. More than that, things get too unbalanced.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
Shinyathepokemonma... on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
Okay, I'm here to say that the pvp system is horrible. No, it can't be perfect, but right now, it's all about wild bolt, wild bolt, you win. I don't use level 95 pvp because of the sole reason for how the critical is. And I don't have enough crowns or money to by back training points for better school, so I go by low level pvp. I'm a level 18 And it is horrendously bad right now. No matter how you stick it, pvp should be testing about your skills, cunning techniques to win. But I keep entering a battle with a level 40 - 50! Even if you are a warlord, you shouldn't be fighting someone who is 2x stronger than you, no 3x! With my luck, I NEVER go first, and die almost immediately to a wild bolt. I can't possibly fight someone who is higher health, bigger deck, better cards, and better pets! Being a warlord doesn't mean anything here, someone who has experience fighting shouldn't be fighting someone who can easily OHKO you. This isn't fair at the slightest bit! I'd rather fight some one of the same rank, not someone who is so OP that you have no chance of winning. Might've been different if I went first, but sadly, my luck is as good as this games pvp ranking system. Make us fight by rank and at least 5 levels difference! NOT 30 OR 40 LEVELS MORE!
i still use waterworks gear and stellar signet/cosmic kris on my life even tho im level eighty eight now. i think my critical block is like ninety or something. i fought a storm wizard with four hundred critical whom i later befriended. i blocked her three times in a row no conviction

Explorer
Aug 15, 2012
I say if your a warlord and you have the gear, why not face lvl 30's and 40's. My friend is a Warlord and is a storm lvl 13 his resistance 49% to every school. His damage is 33% to every school, and his accuracy is bad either. So I don't think it fair with those stats to fight someone around your level that is a private, that would be insane. They put someone up for you that will be challenging to a warlord. Your Rank is also a factor for people you face. If your not happy with your current status. lvl up some more.

" Ice is delicate and beautiful, but can be tough and deadly "

Angel lvl 85
and others

Survivor
Jan 16, 2012
I saw a tourney and team lost by there team all being dead when only one was alive and they were beguiled in tourney match

Defender
May 01, 2011
I agree fully. I can't stand going up against level 95's when trying to do some PvP on my lower level wizards.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2013
Hi,

I have commented on this before.

First, I understand the KI is a business and looks for ways to increase revenues.

Second, there are 3 type of players from my observations regarding posts here and chatting with people online.

Hard Core PVP, many that spend big bucks buying packs and gear to be the best.
Casual Competitive PVP that spends some money on PVP.

The rest play in practise or at their own battle fields at houses.

PVP needs a way to satisfy the first 2.

I am a Level 8 Warlord that chooses not to wear PVP gear. I have no interest in leveling up as I like short matches.

My clothes were all farmed and I have not purchased any pvp gear on my ICE wizard.

KI thinks that me, with NO PVP gear, being a Level 8 warlord is capable of fighting a Level 39 any rank.

Me, with my 25 cards, facing someone with 70 cards, more school spells, power pips and better gear in every aspect.

Here are 2 ways PVP could satisfy both Hard core and the casual competitor.

Idea 1

Multiple Divisions

Open Division - Anything goes.

Then divisions by level and gear

Division 1 - Level 5 - 9
Play against same rank only (Private vs Private, Warlord vs Warlord)
Play against same gear only (PVP against PVP, Regular against Regular)

Division 2 - Level 10 - 14
Division 3 - Level 15 - 19
Division 4 - Level 20 - 24

and so on, following the way bazaar is set up.

You could work your way to becomming a Warlord Divison 2.

Idea 2

Provide the level range selection just like practise has.

You compete against same rank/gear type within the wizard level range that you want to.

You cannot select anyone lower than you in ranked, but could select a range higher that you.

For example: A level 10 wizard could set the range selection from level 20 - 30. Giving this wizard more of a challenge.

I think either of these methods has strong possiblities with input from other players. I like method 1 myself.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
A TC warlord beat my balance wizard and and she was lvl 1 and my balance wizard was lvl 79 and she beat my balance wizard. I got really mad about it and reported her for using over high tc card against me I know it was a false report. I don't know her age but I don't care either.

So tc warlords can win going second.

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
I currently have a level 11 Balance Warlord and I find it extremely hard to gain rating points when I go up against lvl 30+ who spam wild bolts and have twice as much health as me.

I don't know, maybe it is because Wizard 101 Developers feel that Warlords have more skill then the average player in PvP and have to be majorly challenged or what.. but I don't find it fair.

Defender
Oct 27, 2013
i was playing ranked pvp yesterday and whenever i join a match and it's ready, i get put with Level 50 TC warlords. I get put with people withen 10 levels from me, but also get put with people 650 or more rating from me all the time.
They would kill me with an efreet TC or skeletal dragon TC on the same round i was gonna triton or lord.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I have all but given up on pvp.

My level 95 balance private only fights commander and higher; not once has she faced someone of her own rank. Until a short while ago, the last time I pvp'ed with her was during the 1st age, when she was level 50... I guess there aren't many level 90+ privates around, seeing as I've never faced one.

(with the addition of shadow magic (which I don't have or want), I'm particularly wary of sending her into the arena against people with 50% pierce)

On the other end of things, my then-level-23 pyro sergeant got paired opponents 10-20 levels higher (and one level 60 warlord~ don't know if that was a bug or not, but i obviously lost).

I once lost to a pair (as in, more than one) of warlords. My teammate bailed on me, and they thought I'd be an easy kill because there was only one of me... no such luck. I held them off- by myself- for nearly 30 minutes; eventually, the numbers game caught up with me, but I made them work for their win. I didn't just hand it to them.

I'm not opposed to TC; I have been called a TC noob more than once; I have beaten warlords and commanders, and people with mastery amulets and uber pets. Sometimes, I win, and sometimes, I don't. I usually don't. But I don't care, because that simply means that I don't live on the internet and don't rely on money power to win my battles.

That all said, the system has a few kinks in it that could stand to be ironed out: the abuse of chat privileges, OP crowns gear, and puppeting; a counter for Shrike that isn't more immunity (since I am not an ice wizard) and, of course, spectator mode~ the most poorly-conceived feature in the history of ever.

-von "problem solved, you're all welcome" shadowsong
1st age pvp sergeant

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Dr Von on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
I have all but given up on pvp.

My level 95 balance private only fights commander and higher; not once has she faced someone of her own rank. Until a short while ago, the last time I pvp'ed with her was during the 1st age, when she was level 50... I guess there aren't many level 90+ privates around, seeing as I've never faced one.

(with the addition of shadow magic (which I don't have or want), I'm particularly wary of sending her into the arena against people with 50% pierce)

On the other end of things, my then-level-23 pyro sergeant got paired opponents 10-20 levels higher (and one level 60 warlord~ don't know if that was a bug or not, but i obviously lost).

I once lost to a pair (as in, more than one) of warlords. My teammate bailed on me, and they thought I'd be an easy kill because there was only one of me... no such luck. I held them off- by myself- for nearly 30 minutes; eventually, the numbers game caught up with me, but I made them work for their win. I didn't just hand it to them.

I'm not opposed to TC; I have been called a TC noob more than once; I have beaten warlords and commanders, and people with mastery amulets and uber pets. Sometimes, I win, and sometimes, I don't. I usually don't. But I don't care, because that simply means that I don't live on the internet and don't rely on money power to win my battles.

That all said, the system has a few kinks in it that could stand to be ironed out: the abuse of chat privileges, OP crowns gear, and puppeting; a counter for Shrike that isn't more immunity (since I am not an ice wizard) and, of course, spectator mode~ the most poorly-conceived feature in the history of ever.

-von "problem solved, you're all welcome" shadowsong
1st age pvp sergeant
Dr. Von, just wondering, why do you find spectator mode to be negative? I know that personally, I have liked watching matches, when I occasionally do, much better than I had before spectator mode. There are a few slightly not well thought out parts of it (Pet heals showing spells and enchants showing up) that can make it somewhat more unfair, but the first does not have any impact, and the second has a very small impact, as it does not come up very often. (Knowing if weaknesses stack, for instance, if one was enchanted with an accuracy enchantment) Spectator mode has been changed so that fizzles show up as passes, and the spectators do not get any information before the selecting phase has ended, so I find spectator mode to be beneficial. As for crowns gear, I can see why you have that opinion, and sometimes I'm of that same opinion. However, I believe that, unless it's too overpowered, players that spend money on something should get to use it. With shrike, I completely agree with you. It almost completely ruins ice, and gives level 95s a huge advantage over players that do not have shrike. I certainly hope that a counter is created for shrike. It would give players a chance to counter one of the many overpowered things in pvp these days...

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
Dr. Von, just wondering, why do you find spectator mode to be negative? I know that personally, I have liked watching matches, when I occasionally do, much better than I had before spectator mode. There are a few slightly not well thought out parts of it (Pet heals showing spells and enchants showing up) that can make it somewhat more unfair, but the first does not have any impact, and the second has a very small impact, as it does not come up very often. (Knowing if weaknesses stack, for instance, if one was enchanted with an accuracy enchantment) Spectator mode has been changed so that fizzles show up as passes, and the spectators do not get any information before the selecting phase has ended, so I find spectator mode to be beneficial. As for crowns gear, I can see why you have that opinion, and sometimes I'm of that same opinion. However, I believe that, unless it's too overpowered, players that spend money on something should get to use it. With shrike, I completely agree with you. It almost completely ruins ice, and gives level 95s a huge advantage over players that do not have shrike. I certainly hope that a counter is created for shrike. It would give players a chance to counter one of the many overpowered things in pvp these days...
i enjoy watching matches too, but i have witnessed people using it to exploit the system.

if one person is dueling and has a friend in the arena watching the match, there is a glitch that occasionally allows the person watching to see the spells before they are cast and tell the other person what her opponent is casting.

re: crowns gear~ yes, i understand that people are entitled to use gear they have purchased, but people who can't or won't spend money on pvp are at a huge disadvantage. that's not to say that it can't be countered, as i, myself, have beaten wizards with expensive crowns items.

(i once dueled a fellow balance wizard: this one was a commander with myth mastery. she made it clear early in the match that she liked earthquake, so i knew that i had no choice but to hit her unbladed... so i shifted gears. i discarded my blades and hit her with tons of smaller attacks, made her waste her heals, then stacked feints on her instead. when i was ready to hit, i used infallible tc, shattered off her shields, and did 6k with a colossal judge through a tower and massive resist. it was awesome.)

speaking of infallible, that was an awesome counter to high resist (not ice-level immunity, but the average pvp'er's 30-50% universal). shrike didn't just ruin ice... it ruined everything. at least ice gets to keep the remaining 25% of their resist; those who don't have immunity are completely out of luck.

you, aaron, are one of the few warlords i've met who doesn't have a supersized ego. so, as always, i appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

-von

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Ok so I've seen some of the posts here about crowns gear giving you and advantage and I agree. Especially for lower levels without commander gear. If you don't have the commander gear, vet gear, or the crowns gear, well then you won't make it very far lol. But, if you're lvl 30 and you do mt. olympus and get your zeus gear and sky iron hasta you could probably rank up a bit. The crowns gear can be earned by bosses across the spiral but the drops are very rare. At max lvl, crowns gear shouldn't be a problem since most of the high lvl crowns gear is junk and hades' set is probably the best set in the game. Try farming for the crowns gear for your lower levels or get the zeus gear and sky iron hasta.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
kymma shadow on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
A TC warlord beat my balance wizard and and she was lvl 1 and my balance wizard was lvl 79 and she beat my balance wizard. I got really mad about it and reported her for using over high tc card against me I know it was a false report. I don't know her age but I don't care either.

So tc warlords can win going second.
Are you sure you were vs a lvl 1? I find it very difficult to believe that would happen even if your opponent used tc. You should also stop reporting people just because you can't win. That's bad sportsmanship.

Mastermind
Jan 23, 2011
Aaron SpellThief on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
What I want is a level cap, not winning every time. This could include level 70 warlords, which could be quite challenging. I just do not see how anyone can think that it is fair to have a match where the players have a 45 level difference. If I leveled, I'd get level 95s every time instead of some of the time. If I leveled to max level, I'd never get a match. And for your information, I have a very good strategy, which has won me 8 of the 12 tournaments i've played, and nearly 200 of the 270 or so matches I've played. And if I don't deserve warlord, very few people do. I'm at over 2300 rank now. Can you say the same?
Yea, I would like a lvl cap too for pvp.

Survivor
Feb 03, 2013
I disagree, Fair PvP has never left. I'm sick of the PvP complaints, it's not feedback, it's straight up whining. Lvl 10 Warlord vs Level 60 Private. You're obviously pretty good if you got warlord at that level. You guys act like their is always someone waiting for you in the arena with the same level as you, I just say don't pvp until you've reached Level 58+, at level 58 every school pretty much has the equipment to go into battle.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
TheRealBlaze on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
I disagree, Fair PvP has never left. I'm sick of the PvP complaints, it's not feedback, it's straight up whining. Lvl 10 Warlord vs Level 60 Private. You're obviously pretty good if you got warlord at that level. You guys act like their is always someone waiting for you in the arena with the same level as you, I just say don't pvp until you've reached Level 58+, at level 58 every school pretty much has the equipment to go into battle.
i don't care what level my opponent is, within reason. but level 50+ is a whole other ballpark~

i can understand my level 95 private dueling a level 60 warlord; both have the same tools available (critical, block, resist, waterworks or wintertusk crafted gear) to ensure that it is a fair fight.

if my level 23 sergeant faces that same level 60 warlord, the duel becomes extremely lopsided. no matter how good i am vs. people my own level, i lack the gear, stats, and abilities to even stand a fighting chance against someone with 3 times my health and critical that i cannot block. i'll be lucky to survive one hit (and that's assuming that i have time to find my conviction, which is the first thing i bought when i ranked up to veteran during the first age).

so, please, explain to me how this is fair. i'm all ears.

-von
1st-age pvp sergeant

Defender
Mar 30, 2010
I agree with fair PVP being long gone. Shadow Magic has killed the arena even more and make it even more pointless to play arena now. They keep messing with stuff the wrong way and make things even further out of balance.

First turn is so huge not it's not even funny.

Shadow Shrike eliminates ALL good strategies and you just have to make them fizzle or stun them.

THAT IS ALL YOU CAN DO.

Please remove Shadow Shrike and the Shadow spells. Tone them down and make them serve a purpose other than "auto-win."

Shadow Magic has made the arena VERY annoying and unenjoyable.

This game is getting worse with each update and not better.

Please get rid of this Shadow Magic, it's awful.

I don't see how someone can't see how awful and uncreative it is.

We deserve more than this awful Shadow Magic idea for the monthly subscription we pay.

We are PAYING KI to come up with ideas like this. SMH.

Please fix this Shadow Magic nonsense. It's out of control big time.

Thank you.

Delver
Jan 31, 2012
There are still fair wizards in rank pvp my balance does not uses tc cards though.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
ViciousVenomousVix... on Mar 20, 2014 wrote:
I agree with fair PVP being long gone. Shadow Magic has killed the arena even more and make it even more pointless to play arena now. They keep messing with stuff the wrong way and make things even further out of balance.

First turn is so huge not it's not even funny.

Shadow Shrike eliminates ALL good strategies and you just have to make them fizzle or stun them.

THAT IS ALL YOU CAN DO.

Please remove Shadow Shrike and the Shadow spells. Tone them down and make them serve a purpose other than "auto-win."

Shadow Magic has made the arena VERY annoying and unenjoyable.

This game is getting worse with each update and not better.

Please get rid of this Shadow Magic, it's awful.

I don't see how someone can't see how awful and uncreative it is.

We deserve more than this awful Shadow Magic idea for the monthly subscription we pay.

We are PAYING KI to come up with ideas like this. SMH.

Please fix this Shadow Magic nonsense. It's out of control big time.

Thank you.
Stunning and fizzling is all you can do? How about attacking them, how about negative charms, how about healing, how about using more than one shield? What is a "good strategy"? How is Shadow Magic an "auto win" Please explain your reasoning because I am at a loss as to the reasoning behind your assertions.