Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best wizard for PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
I was thinking of making a PvP wizard, who would rise to the rank of warlord. I want to do this without crown gear or op pets (probably will fail). I was thinking of being ice & balance as secondary. Is this a good choice or should I be some other school.

Delver
Aug 14, 2009
I suggest this method. When you create a wizard whose main purpose is to do pvp, you should train a bit of certain schools. I recommend these:

Ice to Tower Shield
Death to Feint
Life to Satyr

A couple other spells that could help with Ice would be elemental blades for more damage and elemental pierce incase your opponent has a lot of resist. A good spell to get also is infection, it takes off half of your opponents heal and lots of people use it in pvp. Doom and Gloom is effective also, but best to cast when you make a high attack on your opponent or if your opponents health is really low and you fear they might make a fast recovery.

If you want, you can also train some of the Astral schools once you get to Celestia. I don't recommend the Moon school at all though, I prefer Star spells like Infallible for accuracy + pierce and Conviction incase your wizard doesn't have a lot of critical block. Since you say you're thinking about training ice, I would probably go with the attacking enchantments from the Sun school instead of accuracy since Ice already has decent accuracy and can be boosted from gear and when you use infallible, also Ice doesn't have the best attacking power so it's better to go with attack enchantments.

Use treasure cards that best suit your pvp gameplay. Fill it with weaknesses if your opponent constantly tries to blade stack or maybe get something like sacrifice where it attacks yourself and heals when they try to put on you a load of feints, curses, hexes, etc.

Also, practice strategies you want to use. Don't just give up because you can't win, see what you're doing wrong and what cards are useful or useless and try different things to help achieve victory.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Hey! Jenna Ice is here to help :)

Personally, all schools are good. It depends on your strategy! I think that a lot of people are warlords when they're ice, but that's how I feel...

Schools You May want to be Based on Strategy!
1. Fire- You can kill opponents overtime. You usually want to cast life dispels, and infections, then your opponent will lack healing and you can watch them die overtime. Good if you plan ahead!
2. Ice- You are much more on the defense side. You would like to have immunities and your impossible to kill without extremely heavy attacks. Ice is good like that. If you can rely on blades and traps for your attack, and leave your defense up to your resist, go ice!
3. Storm- You want to damage in big amounts. One shot kills are more your style. You could care less abut defense and you want big damage. Good if you can attack fast so you don't get killed without defense.
4. Life- You want to keep healing. Life isn't as defensive as ice, but since you can heal, everything may go pretty smooth as long as you use your blades and traps for attacks!
5. Myth- You have normal attacks and defense. You rely on your minions to help. Frankly, its not good for high LVL PVP since people can do much heavier attacks
6. Death- You can attack and heal. Only good for higher levels.
7. Balance- Shields! 50%! Pretty good attacks, but if your balance and low LVL, you need crown armor.

I think ice as a primary school is a very wise choice without any crown armor or pets because ice has lots of health and defense. Health is very important in newbie pvp. As secondary school, I would go for life, because of the heals. Balance is also a decent choice. Whatever strategy works best for you! :-)

Overall Choice: ICE & LIFE or balance

Cheers!
Jenna Ice

Survivor
Jul 14, 2012
Tassiler on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:
I was thinking of making a PvP wizard, who would rise to the rank of warlord. I want to do this without crown gear or op pets (probably will fail). I was thinking of being ice & balance as secondary. Is this a good choice or should I be some other school.
Depending on your playstyle, I would choose Ice or Storm. Storm, once you got wild bolt, just spam it to get warlord. Or ice if you are patient you can get resist and quite a few AoE cards. I would train life to satyr, grab infection, reshuffle, and if you get to celestia grab sun up to gargantuan or coloassal (dont remember which is better) The grab star school spells. For star if you picked storm pick damage or accuracy boosts. For ice, get critical blocks, damage, and resists.

Forgot to add this, if you are storm go to tower before you go to satyr

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
Youd probably though I hate saying itbe death. I hate deat but wit it you can deal a good amount of damage but still heals you when you have the health of about fire.

Survivor
Aug 21, 2012
Why would you want to do PVP without good gear and a good pet? All you are doing is setting yourself up to fail. That's sort of like saying you want to go do Malistaire with no armor on and rank one spells only. It might be fun to try it once, but the outcome probably isn't going to be too good for you. Everything else aside, it isn't a fair battle to fight someone with 50% all resist and a double healing pet if you have neither. You'll likely lose a lot.

If you don't want to at least start with some basic crown gear, then choose ice and level him up to the point that he gets decent all resists on his adventuring gear. If you don't want to hatch and level pets to get a good one, your going to have a difficult time reaching warlord status, but you can probably make it if you practice at it.

As for spending your training points, do so wisely. I doubt that putting them all into one "secondary" will serve you very well. Watch or play in some ranked pvp matches and see what is used and why, and then choose how to spend your training points accordingly.

Champion
Oct 30, 2011
Jenna Ice on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:

Personally, all schools are good. It depends on your strategy! I think that a lot of people are warlords when they're ice, but that's how I feel...

1. Fire- You can kill opponents overtime. You usually want to cast life dispels, and infections, then your opponent will lack healing and you can watch them die overtime. Good if you plan ahead!
2. Ice- You are much more on the defense side. You would like to have immunities and your impossible to kill without extremely heavy attacks. Ice is good like that. If you can rely on blades and traps for your attack, and leave your defense up to your resist, go ice!
3. Storm- You want to damage in big amounts. One shot kills are more your style. You could care less abut defense and you want big damage. Good if you can attack fast so you don't get killed without defense.
4. Life- You want to keep healing. Life isn't as defensive as ice, but since you can heal, everything may go pretty smooth as long as you use your blades and traps for attacks!
5. Myth- You have normal attacks and defense. You rely on your minions to help. Frankly, its not good for high LVL PVP since people can do much heavier attacks
7. Balance- Shields! 50%! Pretty good attacks, but if your balance and low LVL, you need crown armor.

I think ice as a primary school is a very wise choice without any crown armor or pets because ice has lots of health and defense. Health is very important in newbie pvp. As secondary school, I would go for life, because of the heals. Balance is also a decent choice. Whatever strategy works best for you! :-)

Cheers!
Jenna Ice
You call myth not good at high level pvp, and death only good at high level pvp? Death is great for low level pvp because it gets blades early and it can use skeletal dragon tc to get around shields and do a ton of damage. Myth, for high level pvp, can use minions for shields, (or shatter) blade up a few times, and then do a basilisk into ninja pigs kill shot. It can also shift off massive DoTs. I would say that myth is probably one of the best schools for high level 1v1, even though it is not so common to see anymore. It is also one of the two schools that can remove peoples' blades. Facing a blade and shield stacker? Earthquake them! Myth can also have great attack if you use critical gear, with a pet that gives damage. Just like any schools, myth and death can be good at any level of pvp.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
Kane Soulblood on Jun 23, 2013 wrote:
Why would you want to do PVP without good gear and a good pet? All you are doing is setting yourself up to fail. That's sort of like saying you want to go do Malistaire with no armor on and rank one spells only. It might be fun to try it once, but the outcome probably isn't going to be too good for you. Everything else aside, it isn't a fair battle to fight someone with 50% all resist and a double healing pet if you have neither. You'll likely lose a lot.

If you don't want to at least start with some basic crown gear, then choose ice and level him up to the point that he gets decent all resists on his adventuring gear. If you don't want to hatch and level pets to get a good one, your going to have a difficult time reaching warlord status, but you can probably make it if you practice at it.

As for spending your training points, do so wisely. I doubt that putting them all into one "secondary" will serve you very well. Watch or play in some ranked pvp matches and see what is used and why, and then choose how to spend your training points accordingly.
At first I didn't have any crowns, but now I do so I will buy crown gear, and level up my ice wizard until Krokotopia. Also I have the pet thing covered, I got a life Cyclops with a satyr spell. I will watch some PvP matches to see what I need to become a warlord.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
As a player that rarely plays pvp, are certain wizard levels ideal, possibly based on school? Do awesome pvp players (that can get shared-bank , gear, pets, and unlimited wealth) find certain wizards level the 'ideal' level at which you stop leveling up your wizard? --> hence giving you a significant advantage over anybody else that can't shared bank the items, or havn't yet acquired spells, crafted gear, etc.

examples
- When you can start doing critical dmg
- when you just achieve certain spells.
- Lvl 60, the min level for wearing water works gear

Defender
Sep 19, 2010
Jenna Ice on Jun 22, 2013 wrote:

Cheers!
Jenna Ice
It doesn't sound like you really have used any of these schools. Fire using life dispel and infection? A myth actually using minions? Death not being decent for lower level? and NO SCHOOL is strictly REQUIRED to have crowns gear in order to succeed.

Fire- minion, shield spam and keep Wyldfire up. laugh as they die and then cast Dragon or Heckhound for low level, Efreet for high. Also can be very useful as a minion, shield a few turns, start throwing out links and fire elves class.

Ice- Whats with this ice=easy immune deal going around? unless you have a 10% 5% universal 14% 14% fire and storm resistance pet, your not really getting up to immune. Low level minion with balefrost suceeds, or high level shield and blade until massive angel.

Storm-Yea this one's pretty much correct, wild bolt until someone is dead.

Life-Have never been beaten by one of these, and I've played several thousand matches. The lack of an overtime until level 88 hurts them badly, and you can't heal when your dead.

Myth-School of tactics. after about level 20 the minions are obsolete, use Mythblade/Spirit Blade/tc Spirit Blade, and shatter-Orthrus (tc if you must). If you really think this class doesn't have heavy attacks, you've clearly never fought a real one. I can use myth blade sharpened myth blade, a feint, and a potent feint, and get off a 23,000 damage non critical solar calendar after about 9 rounds(shielding some.) Also, if I am in an angry mood I can just chain stun them for a while: build up 14 pips, cast shatter, use medusa, stun, medusa.

Death-This one irks me the most. "Only good for higher levels"? at level 33, I'm warlord with very few losses, and you normally don't attack and heal. Blades and shields, animate, if enemy summons a minion you cast a crow, which will get you a lot of health off of the minion, and poison spam/skeletal dragon tc. Higher level its just blade blade Skeletal dragon feint the overtime.

Balance- You never need crowns armor. This is just a misguided idea concepted from who knows where, because a truly skilled wizard doesn't even need armor. minion, bladestorm after, shield and heal tactically to keep yourself from dying; there is a reason the #1 pvp player in the world is balance.(Actually, one of the other mega warlords told me its just because he's hacked, so I'm not quite sure whats up with that).

Before you hit high levels, you need to use Nightshades choker, train ice to tower, train balance to weakness, if your ice you switch tower training points for life up to satyr, balance gets feint. Your basic circulatory of training points should be around the schools of death, life, ice, and balance. reshuffle is also a good investment. If you get all the useful spells in those schools, you can start putting points into other schools for shields, or just save for celestia(no moon spells, infallible, damage enchants.)
Mason Shadowwraith Promethean
Malorn AshthornWarlord
(not all my characters, just the relevant ones)

Survivor
Apr 22, 2012
Jenna Ice is back to help-- again : ) Specially for the people who responded. I love going back to this note, haha!
Ok, I posted that other post a while ago.. I'm sorry if my information was not quite accurate.
For anyone, I now recommend this:
Fire- You want to use overtime spells to kill enemies. Overtime is useful for you to get enemies. Then you can try to one hit kill your enemy once the health is low and the shields are off. Fire is great for low noob pvp because people at lower levels in pvp usually use shields a lot, so its good to have an overtime.

Ice- most defensive. Good resistance (but now everyone can rack up 70%+ resist with jade armor and a pet a lvl 90) good for a 'slower' kill, but not necessarily. Ice can get power but will never reach the power of storm or fire, except if the wizard is stronger than another. I like ice for its health and defensiveness .

Storm- major attacks. can even break through shields.

life- i think life lacks a bit. they are only good for healing, to me personally. in pvp, they must 2v2 because in 1v1 can be pretty difficult. Having a partner by your side to support attacking makes life pretty great though. Lacks rank 4 and a rank 7 all enemy spell. Must wait till level 58 for rank 8 forest lord.

Myth- amazing, for their shatters, earths and pierces. Can help them out a lot. Their minions are useless around level 30. Are great as noobs and as higher levels.

Death- good school. I havent worked much with death but I think its good. Beguile and crow are amazing spells and so is infection. Poison is a good overtime for death. Like life, it lacks rank 4 all enemy spells which may kill if someone tries to use a minion.

Balance- great for mana burn and their blades and shields. All balanced! good cause it has its own heals and a great minion with amazing blades all schools may use.

You dont need crowns armor or anything. Just skill and decision making matters! :) Cheers!

Good luck!
^^ JennaIce