Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spectator mode can be unfairly used

AuthorMessage
Squire
Mar 07, 2011
It's hard for me to imagine the developers not foreseeing how spectator mode could be used to give your friend an advantage. Here are 3 quick examples of how observers can help their friends in 1v1 PvP.

1. I'm ice and I cast a treasure card +45% Balefrost, which are hard to come by. For all my opponent knows it's a regular +25% bubble, but now his friend, watching the match, can let my opponent know I put up an extra powerful bubble, which is information my opponent should not have.

2. My ice robe grants me an Elemental Blade card, which stacks with a regular Elemental Blade spell. From my opponent's perspective he thinks I have cast two Elemental Blades, but his observant friend can see my robe blade is blue in color and therefore different than a regular Elemental Blade. So now my opponent knows I actually have stacked blades and not separate blades, information that he simply should not know.

3. My balance casts a weakness on my opponent. Then I cast weakness with Extraordinary on it, which stacks with a regular weakness. My opponent thinks he has two separate weakness and doesn't realize they are stacked. But his observant friend can now tell him the second weakness I cast has Extraordinary on it and therefore he actually has two stacked weaknesses on him. Again this is information my opponent should have.

The Solution: It's no big deal for observers to see the spell being cast, but they should not be able to mouse over it to see the exact nature of the spell. That way observers can enjoy the game up close and players can know the exact nature of their spells cannot be known.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Malt22 on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
It's hard for me to imagine the developers not foreseeing how spectator mode could be used to give your friend an advantage. Here are 3 quick examples of how observers can help their friends in 1v1 PvP.

1. I'm ice and I cast a treasure card +45% Balefrost, which are hard to come by. For all my opponent knows it's a regular +25% bubble, but now his friend, watching the match, can let my opponent know I put up an extra powerful bubble, which is information my opponent should not have.

2. My ice robe grants me an Elemental Blade card, which stacks with a regular Elemental Blade spell. From my opponent's perspective he thinks I have cast two Elemental Blades, but his observant friend can see my robe blade is blue in color and therefore different than a regular Elemental Blade. So now my opponent knows I actually have stacked blades and not separate blades, information that he simply should not know.

3. My balance casts a weakness on my opponent. Then I cast weakness with Extraordinary on it, which stacks with a regular weakness. My opponent thinks he has two separate weakness and doesn't realize they are stacked. But his observant friend can now tell him the second weakness I cast has Extraordinary on it and therefore he actually has two stacked weaknesses on him. Again this is information my opponent should have.

The Solution: It's no big deal for observers to see the spell being cast, but they should not be able to mouse over it to see the exact nature of the spell. That way observers can enjoy the game up close and players can know the exact nature of their spells cannot be known.
Frankly, I don't think spectators should be able to see the spells in the first place and, the arena should be made group chat for the teams in combat and NO Chat for spectators.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Nobody else finds these examples illustrative of how a friend watching the match can help his friend out by knowing the exact nature of their spell? I see this as a major oversight on the part of the developers, but maybe I'm the only one who cares.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2010
I totally agree with this. I can relate to this with a match I was in the other day. I saw an angel coming from an ice warlord. I was on defense mode, so I set up two weaknesses. Although, one was from my robe, and the other was learned. Minutes before this, that player casted snow angel with a weakness. (He was spamming it I suppose). But his friend in the stands said "Wait, don't hit yet". So, because of his friends ability to see where the card comes from, he was able to wand before continuing to hit. KI, please fix this. I absolutely love spectator mode now that you can see the match a lot better, but not when it can be used against players in pvp. Thanks!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
spectator mode is a mistake, always has been, and always will be~ all it does is serve to invite cheating and harassment. as long as people can use dishonest means to gain an advantage, they will do it.

worst call in the history of ever.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
I completely agree with you, its really unfair.

-Jasmine FireBlade, level 86 pyromancer

Survivor
Aug 27, 2009
i don't think spectator mode itself is a mistake, just the fact that it shows you the spell. i like that we can watch as if we were in the battle, just get rid of the "showing the spell" thing