Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Thank You KI For the Slap In The Face

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jul 30, 2012
marinersk,

You missed the point of the thread. I'm quite aware that in-game training does not realize desired attributes. The players are saying that a pet owner should have a certain level of control over what is realized from the genetics rather than a simple shot-in-the-dark.

I was responding to your reference and comparison to real life breeding and genetics. Please read your own post.

It is called training... and the pet owner is significantly involved. If its not training... if its just exercising and letting the pet grow older then we should just let our pets run around our castles for a couple months.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2011
In reply to Ghoststone's post about not preparing a multi-hatched pet....

I'm not new, FYI, all I do is train pets these days while waiting for the new world to arrive.....

I recently had another perfect Fragmented Dragon fail at Mega with mana gift.....Each failure represents about 10 trained pets....hatched and bred in that line....there will always be a latent unwanted trait no matter how well u breed them out....I'm assuming all your pets are perfect ?

Survivor
Aug 07, 2011
i completely agree, but it seems every time you suggest new changes like this the veteran players jump to defensive mode. I understand all the long time players suffered through this but it really makes the game more frustrating than fun to play to spend hrs and hrs hatching and training just to get a useless pet.

Historian
May 06, 2009
Sticking to the OP topic: Alone, yes, talents like Tenacious are not worth wild, but with the right attributes, these are actually very useful. I do not hatch. I do not spead hours trying to get some "uber awesome" pet like the players of this community would. And I will not do so. I accept a pet for what it is and level it up if I care to. Here's two examples of pets I have that are the original, NOT OVERLY HATCHED, pets:

Death Scarab (King Tiger)
Level: Ancient
Talents: Health Gift (+112 Max), Steadfast (+40 Max Agility), Canny(+40 Max Will)

Wraith (Lord Shadow)
Level: Ancient
Talents: Pip o' Plenty (+5%), Health Gift (+84 Max), and Efficient (+25 INT +25 AGI)

Most of you guys would toss these guys aside in a heart beat (no less than a heart beat) and find some other pet to drool over. However, to this day, I have seen less than 1% of pet go above what my King Tiger has and my Lord Shadow. With the right talents that repsond to STREN, AGI, INT, and WIL, they make the stat so much stronger. But todays community only sees a good pet as one with that max resist and mega may heals (count life's specialty dead). I'm so dissappoint that the Pet system has literally been turned into this disgusting, ugly, monster. I mean no offense but I mean it's gotten to a point where this is just not cool in my eyes. Not even something you can call "fun." Before yeah just the system itself was enjoyable but everytime i walk into the Pavillion, it's some pet-chance-haze-craze. Who got max resist?! I need may cast! You're pets are just candy wrappers that you can toss to the side until you get the good kind. Sickening to me.
Anyway that was my little rant. Right now my best pet is Lord Jack, a funny little scarecrow he is. He's Epic with +6% Death Accuracy, +108 Max Health, +88 Max Mana, and +5% Max Death Damage aiding me in Alto Alto. I'll never believe you need some epic, may cast crazy, resistant pet you have to hatch x100 for to have fun. Not by a long shot.

Survivor
May 01, 2011
O come on you certainly need a pet with some healing capibilities to it. Death and Life School aside i believe that heals and resists are an absolute must. Especially for Storm School which is already lacking in health. The perfect pet in my opinion would have spritely, resist, defy, pain giver and if it wants to throw me a feint or balance blade card i am not opposed to that lol. All in all though i think at mega, after all the money and time put into a pet, it should not give mana or health gift or something as needless as a vengence card for example. SInce we all already have those things why would we need it from our pets? ~ just saying :P

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
The Whistler on Apr 19, 2013 wrote:
In reply to Ghoststone's post about not preparing a multi-hatched pet....

I'm not new, FYI, all I do is train pets these days while waiting for the new world to arrive.....

I recently had another perfect Fragmented Dragon fail at Mega with mana gift.....Each failure represents about 10 trained pets....hatched and bred in that line....there will always be a latent unwanted trait no matter how well u breed them out....I'm assuming all your pets are perfect ?
I train a lot of pets and I fully understand your frustrations. Between the gold spent, the time wasted, and the snacks used, training a perfect pet becomes a huge chore. I would love if Kings Isle added a mechanic where you could remove an unwanted talent on a pet and switch it for a random unknown talent already on the pet. Charge crowns for it, make it a one time per pet thing. If they charged 1000 crowns for it, not everyone would use it, but there would be enough of us who would to make it profitable on their part.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2011
My Fragmented dragon, Lucky, gained May cast myth trap at teen.

-- Caitlin Blue, level 79 fire wizard --

Explorer
Sep 25, 2010
I completely agree with everyone. I tried to get an emberstone tiger by hatching my mega dragon (the fire dragon and no i don't mean the spell)with a friend that had one and no it was not first generation to get myself a pure fire pet. I trained to epic and got some pretty awesome talents. I had fire giver, may cast vengeance, spritely, and may cast fireblade. Then after 3 weeks of training every single day with minimal mega snacks and no elixirs i got my tiger to mega. Guess what i got? gives one card pixie. I have not yet met a wizard that thinks this talent is remotely useful! I think its just down right useless. I had a perfect pet then i got it to mega. I think it would make life so so much easier for everyone if we could just pick the talents our pet got when they leveled up.

Scarlet Dragonpetal
A very annoyed lvl 90 Pyro

Delver
Jul 20, 2009
Scarlet Fever on Jul 2, 2013 wrote:
I completely agree with everyone. I tried to get an emberstone tiger by hatching my mega dragon (the fire dragon and no i don't mean the spell)with a friend that had one and no it was not first generation to get myself a pure fire pet. I trained to epic and got some pretty awesome talents. I had fire giver, may cast vengeance, spritely, and may cast fireblade. Then after 3 weeks of training every single day with minimal mega snacks and no elixirs i got my tiger to mega. Guess what i got? gives one card pixie. I have not yet met a wizard that thinks this talent is remotely useful! I think its just down right useless. I had a perfect pet then i got it to mega. I think it would make life so so much easier for everyone if we could just pick the talents our pet got when they leveled up.

Scarlet Dragonpetal
A very annoyed lvl 90 Pyro
In my opinion, this isn't a good idea. It would ruin the surprise of training pets. If we were able to pick our pet's talents when we leveled up, everyone would be walking around with a SPUD, SPPUD, SPPD and SPFUD pets. The point of getting random talents in pet training would basically be ruined.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Same thing has happened to me on way too many hatches. What we need is a system in place to allow us to remove an unwanted talent, and then continue on training as if it never had happened. Most pet trainers would gladly pay for this, I know I would.

Also, it'd be kinda cool if they implemented a pet battle system. I've seen other people mention this before and I always thought it was a wonderful idea. It would give a better use to some of those "selfish" talents that everyone tries to avoid.

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
The Whistler on Apr 4, 2013 wrote:
I just got my uber rare Fragmented Dragon to Mega level.

At that point it was perfect (6% Damage, 6% Death Damage, 5% Resist, 10% Resist).

Guess what I got after 3 weeks or training? (no I dont use crowns for snacks).

Tenacious (a Pet Derby Trait)

Are you kidding me?
Well, KI gives you the little hints like "increases this, Increases that", and Wizard101 Central Wiki has a very helpful guide to everything involving Wizard101, so really, you should have trained your pet in specific ways, checked the web page every day for update news (I'm actually quite impressed on how quickly they update there status whenever they get a new discovery or find a wizard101 update) so you wouldn't get such a bad pet trait. If you don't know how to find your pet's talents and traits, go to google and type pet:[pet species here]. I did this with my betta fish, and so far have two of the many talents I want with it, which is good because it's an adult. If I'm lucky; I'll have all six (considering they ever add a new age), but this can happen. You can lower your chances with what I said above, but remember to watch your pet's stats. Just use this, and you can be a really good pet trainer. If there were pet trainer ranks, then I think I would already be Magus (considering the max is Grandmaster). Happy training!

-Nathaniel Redflame

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Little Dragon Spar... on Jul 3, 2013 wrote:
Well, KI gives you the little hints like "increases this, Increases that", and Wizard101 Central Wiki has a very helpful guide to everything involving Wizard101, so really, you should have trained your pet in specific ways, checked the web page every day for update news (I'm actually quite impressed on how quickly they update there status whenever they get a new discovery or find a wizard101 update) so you wouldn't get such a bad pet trait. If you don't know how to find your pet's talents and traits, go to google and type pet:[pet species here]. I did this with my betta fish, and so far have two of the many talents I want with it, which is good because it's an adult. If I'm lucky; I'll have all six (considering they ever add a new age), but this can happen. You can lower your chances with what I said above, but remember to watch your pet's stats. Just use this, and you can be a really good pet trainer. If there were pet trainer ranks, then I think I would already be Magus (considering the max is Grandmaster). Happy training!

-Nathaniel Redflame
Wiki only gives the talents for First Generation Pets.

It would be impossible for them to track all the talents of a pet hatched with a different pet. Each time a pet is hatched with a different pet, the talent pool increases. You also don't know how many times another pet has been hatched to get it where the owner wants it.

I currently have a LeafFoot (Mega) that has some very good talents and runs with my Main Fire. She is not perfect but that is ok too. I also have a first gen LeafFoot that is not so good, but not finished with that one yet. I have a third Leafoot that I got from a hatch that started out just fine and LOL, got Myth Shot at Ancient, So she will go to my Myth Wizard. My point is, unless you have done all your own hatches and tracked them, you can't be sure what talents will be more likely to show up. But Getting the stat numbers up will make a difference.

I don't WASTE crowns for Energy elixirs or Snack packs. I do garden for all of my snacks. Yes, it takes a little longer, but I am not spending REAL money on a virtual game pet. My CPs and EMPs are farmed for, not bought. I don't buy more than about $20 in Crowns a year and that is for 2 accounts and only if I see something I want. Otherwise, I pay only my sub and that is all.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
I agree. I remember training my pet, it got may cast sprite and may cast fairy and I was so excited, so I trained to ancient, hoping to get spell proof and spell defy. But nope. Instead, I get fire accuracy I don't need. There goes my mega snacks....

Squire
May 10, 2013
Maybe try looking at the Purreau Pet Pack. If your looking for AWESOME talents, you might wanting to buy one. So then, you can be happy. See my pets the Deer Knight and Meow Wing are Adult. They both give spells.

The Meow Wing currently gives:

May Cast "Amplify" spell
Gives 1 Muscled Cat spell

The Deer Knight currently gives:
May Cast "Berserk" spell (sorry about the bad spelling)
Gives 1 "Deer Knight" spell

My other pets give good talents too but I like deer knights the best :)

Sean HawkHunter

Delver
Nov 05, 2011
BTW the pet Striped Boar has only selfish talents!

Defender
Jan 21, 2011
Actually, if we did get the traits we wanted, we would no longer need to purchase Mega snacks, leading to a loss of money for KI. Plus, even though I hate the constant left, right, up, down of the Dance Game, the challenge sometimes makes it worth it! Good luck!

Explorer
Nov 24, 2010
Check out TheAwesomeMyth's topic: Pet Talent Training Help!?!?!

My posts there should help.

Reguards, MS

PS: may cast berserk?!?!?! That's a death trap when used improperly!

Survivor
Apr 04, 2012
I hate being the bad guy here, but I think that it's fair :/. You're taking a risk training your pet that far and you've got to be ready for the worst. Trust me, I know how it feels to get a super lame talent after what feels like years of training. You're relying solely on probability and luck, so if things don't work out the way you want them to...blame fate, I guess .

However, I think it would be a great idea if you do end up getting an unwanted talent having the option of spending crowns in order to have another shot at getting a trait that you really want. You could only use this ability once per pet though, and it would be pretty expensive, so you'd have to use it wisely ;). Just an idea KI .

Survivor
Dec 12, 2011
Wow i know how to feel. After so much hard training of your pet then it gets a talent like that.

Champion
Aug 20, 2010
My pet was once at ancient, it had may cast tower shield, may cast fairy, and +10% resist, when I leveled it up guess what it gave me? Storm blade! I am balance. This is not cool because when you go to hatch nobody wants to, not even storm. In fact one guy asked to hatch with me and said "Wait, is that storm blade?" and walked away.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
I hate the pet derby traits, when i was training my enchanted armament to adult i was hoping to get may cast sword and shield but instead i got relentless .

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
Wizgamer105 on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
My pet was once at ancient, it had may cast tower shield, may cast fairy, and +10% resist, when I leveled it up guess what it gave me? Storm blade! I am balance. This is not cool because when you go to hatch nobody wants to, not even storm. In fact one guy asked to hatch with me and said "Wait, is that storm blade?" and walked away.
Some people like pet blades because they get around boss cheats that activate when a blade is cast.

It's not the most useful blade you could have but hey, some storm kid will want to hatch with you. And if all else fails you can use it to boost a spectral blast once in a while.

Defender
Oct 15, 2009
Stephen EarthMende... on Apr 16, 2013 wrote:
RottenHeart,

You are confusing training a real life pet with training a pet in Wizard 101, which causes thet pet to reveal what is in its DNA. The DNA symbol is used to represent the Pedigree, and the Pedigree is the sum of the values of the talents.

Training in W101 is not attempting to realize desired behaviors in the pet. It is growing the pet so it reveals what parts of its DNA have been inherited.

However -- W101 definitely helps with this confusion by using the term "training" to describe the process.

But enough has been shown, through testing and good record keeping, about how the Talents manifest. It is definitely revealing talents which were selected at birth, not encouraging a pet to adopt a behavior from its environment.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm
Revealing talents which were selected at birth.

That is the answer. It would be a win/win. Win for KI because if you know all the talents up front and like them the pet still has to be trained. There would still be a profit from all the Mega Snacks.

Win for the customer because time/possibly money would not be wasted for a big diappointment at the end. Another pet would be hatch to start again.

I have an entire army of useless pets.

Delver
Nov 05, 2011
I think they should make a hard level 15 energy per game and 4000 points and you have to get to it after epic. Hard, right? And when you finish that your pet will be rank olde and you get to choose your next trait.
And if you do 20 energy per game and 8000 points, you can change the pet status and your pet will be rank infinite and you get a badge if you don't use mega pet snacks or energy explirs.

Delver
Nov 05, 2011
They should also make a pet101 that let's your pet do 100% of the battles.