Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The turn order in the game is unfair.

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jan 18, 2013
The turn order in the game is unfair and needs fixing.

Especially in pvp, the player who goes first has a huge advantage over their opponent. Not only do they get to go first but they also get to see their opponents move before they choose theirs. The player that goes second does not get to see their opponents move that will happen before theirs meaning that they will have to guess or predict their opponent the whole battle.

If that did make sense I will give some examples.
The player that goes second is about to land a powerful attack but the other player puts up a tower shield so the attack only does half damage.
If the player that goes first is about to land a powerful attack and the other player has put up a tower shield the turn before they can then decide to do a wand attack to remove the shield and then do full damage the next turn.
The player that goes second does not have this option because they cannot see the move that is before theirs.

Another example is choosing when to heal.
The best time to heal may be right after taking a huge hit to prevent dying the next turn. The player that attacks first can do this straight away because they pick their move straight away after being attacked.
But the player that goes second does not know that they are about to be attacked so may not use a healing spell that turn. The next turn they try to heal but are killed before they can do it because they go second.

There are many more situations where going first or second is really unfair.

A suggestion I have in order to fix this is to have players take turns to chose their moves one after the other instead of both at the same time. This way each player sees the move their opponent did before their turn. Each player will still gain a pip at the beginning of their turn.

Also to make things a little more fair the player that has the first turn will not get a pip for his first turn to make up for the fact that they go first.

Delver
Oct 23, 2011
It is fair because it's random. You just have to be lucky!

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
I dont know if i can agree with this. Even if the suggestions you made would be in game it seems that it would be even more unbalanced.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
in pve, your concern is valid. because the monsters' starting pips outnumber those of the players and allow them to do things like chain-stun on the first cast, we are at a disadvantage.

as for pvp, i disagree: as a level 22 pyromancer sergeant, i have won from first and from second, because i know how to defend myself.

you need to be prepared for every possible scenario, especially in pvp. people in the arena aren't stupid~ they won't just lie down and let you crush them, meaning that you'll have to work to outwit them; if you are not using the resources available to you, then it's your responsibility to fix it, young wizard.

-sergeant von
of the u.s.s. awesome

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
Nathaniel OgreBlad... on Mar 16, 2013 wrote:
It is fair because it's random. You just have to be lucky!
But should it have to be random? Should winning a duel come down to luck and getting to go first?

Survivor
Jan 27, 2013
Hey, Ghost,
I see your point of view.
I understand what you are talking about.
just like I'm almost died and the next turn if I went first and I could heal myself before my opponent attacked me, I wouldn't die; but I went later, so I died just because I wasn't the first one using my spells.
It's the unfair point you are talking about!
That's truth.
good point, man! I agree with you.

hum hum!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Sorry, but that is the way it works. Purely random.... In case you have not noticed or maybe you have, it works the same way in PvE. This is not going to change. You will just have to use better strategy in PvP and PvE.

Explorer
Oct 04, 2009
I think that if what you propose is implemented it will still be the same amount unfair just in a different way.

Explorer
Oct 04, 2009
I propose that both players can see the opponents cards the minute they choose them so it is less fair. It may be more complicated tat way but it may be more fair

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
DragonLady1818 on Mar 17, 2013 wrote:
Sorry, but that is the way it works. Purely random.... In case you have not noticed or maybe you have, it works the same way in PvE. This is not going to change. You will just have to use better strategy in PvP and PvE.
For PvP, why yes, but for PvE, no. I think Von's post can clearly explain what I mean. If you didnt read it, I would suggest doing it.

Delver
Oct 23, 2011
The Wise One on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
I propose that both players can see the opponents cards the minute they choose them so it is less fair. It may be more complicated tat way but it may be more fair
Yeah, it would. I think they should do this. Even if it's just the people that go last that can see their opponents' cards.

Delver
Jan 18, 2013
Nathaniel OgreBlad... on Mar 19, 2013 wrote:
Yeah, it would. I think they should do this. Even if it's just the people that go last that can see their opponents' cards.
Yes I agree. What you suggested would also fix the problem and make things fair. That is actually the first thing I thought of before I suggested this. I don't feel like anybody got my point or even understands what I was trying to say. But Vonawsome1 is right, nothing is going to change even if it should. I will just have to do my best to work with my situation regardless if I'm at an advantage or a disadvantage.

Explorer
Mar 18, 2012
How is it "not fair." I understand it's sort of a pity, but that's just how it is. And it's not like you never go first. I'm sure that you've been first several times. KI doesn't control it. It's random.