Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pets

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 31, 2008
Good day, students. I do hope you are doing well in your studies. Today, I would like to comment on the pets that many of you take with you on your journeys. You have responsibilities in their regard, such as feeding them, playing with them and seeing that they level up in experience. There are also benefits to leveling up your pets.

Many pets can provide you with advantages and bonuses in duels, and these can be more effective as your pets increase in level. Let’s use my pet Basilisk Deimos as an example. In addition to being cute, he has certain talents that make him a desirable companion in a duel. He can give me bonuses to Myth damage spells I cast, he can increase my accuracy with Myth spells, grant me additional spells and improve my resistance to incoming Myth spells, among other possibilities. Some pets may even cast spells on their own to help your cause.

Go to the Pet Pavilion in Wizard City, and allow your pet to play through the various pet games available. Deimos is especially fond of the Way of the Ninja Pig challenge. Each time you complete a game, your pet can gain some experience points and improve its statistics. As these statistics increase they will improve your wizard’s abilities.

If you open up your Pets page in your spell books, you will see the rating of your pet in its various statistics. When you mouse over one of these categories you will see the various abilities that are affected by this statistic. Strength, for example, affects damage, pip chances, resistances, outgoing healing, armor piercing, stun resistance, and the cost to cheer in the derby. Raising this value to its maximum level can make your spells and resistances that much stronger.

Each time Deimos increases in level, he learns a new talent and pet derby ability. After each game he completes, I reward him with a pet snack. The more potent the snack, the faster he will gain experience points and the more points he will earn in his statistics.

I encourage you to level your pets up to their maximum level to gain the most out of their abilities. Use Pet Hatching to try and gather desirable talents on your pets. I’m sure many of your fellow students are happy to help you learn the advantages of this system. Pets are much more than companions. Used correctly they can greatly increase your success in your adventures.

“To control the Future, one must look to the Past.”
Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Professor Drake on Mar 1, 2013 wrote:
Good day, students. I do hope you are doing well in your studies. Today, I would like to comment on the pets that many of you take with you on your journeys. You have responsibilities in their regard, such as feeding them, playing with them and seeing that they level up in experience. There are also benefits to leveling up your pets.

Many pets can provide you with advantages and bonuses in duels, and these can be more effective as your pets increase in level. Let’s use my pet Basilisk Deimos as an example. In addition to being cute, he has certain talents that make him a desirable companion in a duel. He can give me bonuses to Myth damage spells I cast, he can increase my accuracy with Myth spells, grant me additional spells and improve my resistance to incoming Myth spells, among other possibilities. Some pets may even cast spells on their own to help your cause.

Go to the Pet Pavilion in Wizard City, and allow your pet to play through the various pet games available. Deimos is especially fond of the Way of the Ninja Pig challenge. Each time you complete a game, your pet can gain some experience points and improve its statistics. As these statistics increase they will improve your wizard’s abilities.

If you open up your Pets page in your spell books, you will see the rating of your pet in its various statistics. When you mouse over one of these categories you will see the various abilities that are affected by this statistic. Strength, for example, affects damage, pip chances, resistances, outgoing healing, armor piercing, stun resistance, and the cost to cheer in the derby. Raising this value to its maximum level can make your spells and resistances that much stronger.

Each time Deimos increases in level, he learns a new talent and pet derby ability. After each game he completes, I reward him with a pet snack. The more potent the snack, the faster he will gain experience points and the more points he will earn in his statistics.

I encourage you to level your pets up to their maximum level to gain the most out of their abilities. Use Pet Hatching to try and gather desirable talents on your pets. I’m sure many of your fellow students are happy to help you learn the advantages of this system. Pets are much more than companions. Used correctly they can greatly increase your success in your adventures.
Of course you encourage us to train our pets to Mega - Loose all our energy to then buy it back woth crowns. Even buy Mega snacks.

No wonder why you guys added pet games and new pet levels. To make us spend more.

Same thing with the Spell Quests. Force us to buy henchmen because you make the battle unsoloable.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
i do not know how to get a bettle pet i do not care what kind i love them all so could you tell me how

thanks Wolf titanthorn

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
popcicool7777777 on Mar 2, 2013 wrote:
Of course you encourage us to train our pets to Mega - Loose all our energy to then buy it back woth crowns. Even buy Mega snacks.

No wonder why you guys added pet games and new pet levels. To make us spend more.

Same thing with the Spell Quests. Force us to buy henchmen because you make the battle unsoloable.
Sadly this is true. Over the time I have played I have seen it go from a lot of Free play to more Pay play.

I have weeded out what I won't put money and excessive time into so, I don't do pets, gardening or crafting much any more. The getting spells in hoard packs I think woke me up, granted later some where able to be farmed but the crafting isn't for regular players like me. In the end we were being primed to pay to play if we wanted the good stuff.

It really doesn't matter, only the players who are here pre Celestia are really noticing how the game has changed - newer players are used to this from other games they have played and see nothing wrong with it. KI has to make money to flourish so we just have to put up with it. When questing in general with out the use of crowns happens I guess I will have to move on, this leaves out Aztecia for me since Henchman see to me the norm there to get by.

I used to call the evolution "The game of "the Have's and Have Nots", it created quite a bit of friction in the Spiral that is still there today. The entire game has a different tone to it then when I first started playing.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
"Used correctly they can greatly increase your success in your adventures."

Perhaps this is true, and I do like having a pet. I really like having the fun critter beside me. And its great that Professor Drake is taking the time to explain more about pets. But realisticaly it is more effective to spend 2 hours leveling up on side quests than doing pet training.

Raising the expectation of awesome talents in pets for first-time wizards under level 50 should perhaps be avoided. Generally its kinda disappointing and a cause for frustration, especially when you see other wizards with super and perfect pets (its not until later that you realize that these are shared-bank pets that have been selectively hatched by wizard101 keeners over the course of months or years requiring vast amounts of time/gold/crowns -> completely unrealistic for a first time wizard).

Typically first generation pets (especially those aquired in Wizard City) are not going to provide a wonderful ensemble of talents that "greatly increase your success".

But there are a couple features or talents that a first generation may have that do really help:
(I don't believe any pets available in WC pet shop offer these.)

1) Spritely - because it triggers so often

2) Feint spell card - because you can stack it with other feints

To a lesser extent but still ok:
3) Tower shield, blade and trap spell cards - zero pips cards and no need to learn the spell.

Delver
Aug 10, 2010
The solution to mega snacks is easy, plan ahead for pet training and garden evil magma peas. I raised them 7 at a time for a couple of months and now I have more 25+ mega snacks in my shared bank than I will use for quite some time.

The solution for battles that seem impossible to solo isn't as easy. Use your minion and check/change your gear before every fight. I know it's a hassle but it is possible to get a lot of resist with the right gear, and sometimes the highest level gear isn't the best. Some of the Waterworks and crafted Wintertusk gear is still good in Azteca. If you haven't done the Helephant Tower, do it for the ring and athame; you'll be glad you did.

All that being said, this time is one of the few times over the last couple of years that my wife and I haven't taken advantage of the 60,000 crowns for $60 for each of us. Sometimes if the bills are paid, we'll even do 120,000 each, but I don't think we will anymore. Most of the crowns gear is not giving the advantage it used to anymore. The hoard packs aren't the "bonanza" they used to be, it seems like it's getting harder and harder to get anything besides bobbleheads, music scrolls, seeds and common reagents. I'd be willing to pay more for packs that aren't full of garbage.

But, I am convinced that KI isn't ALL about the money because people have said for years that they would gladly spend crowns to have more control over the pet hatching / training process.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
popcicool7777777 on Mar 2, 2013 wrote:

Energy refills over time, you just have to be patient. As for Mega Snacks...I have many rank 8 and 9 snacks I received from Deadly Helephant Ears and Evil Magma Peas. You can get both of those plants as drops in Avalon and they do give a seed to renew at elder harvest. Pink Huckleberries also produce Deadly Helephant Ears throughout their harvest. You can also get Pink Huckleberries as drops. There is really no reason to spend crowns to train pets if you are patient.

As for the spell quests. I have posted many times on this forums about leaving a mark, killing minions first, then porting back immediately if you happen to die. When you port back, the minion you killed is no longer there. I only used crowns when going after my Storm Owl spell. The reason I bought the henchmen at that time is because I was not in the mood to deal with that battle. (Storm is not my favorite).

Hannah Lifebringer Level 90 Life

Survivor
Apr 30, 2012
Timothy Lionstalke... on Mar 10, 2013 wrote:
The solution to mega snacks is easy, plan ahead for pet training and garden evil magma peas. I raised them 7 at a time for a couple of months and now I have more 25+ mega snacks in my shared bank than I will use for quite some time.

The solution for battles that seem impossible to solo isn't as easy. Use your minion and check/change your gear before every fight. I know it's a hassle but it is possible to get a lot of resist with the right gear, and sometimes the highest level gear isn't the best. Some of the Waterworks and crafted Wintertusk gear is still good in Azteca. If you haven't done the Helephant Tower, do it for the ring and athame; you'll be glad you did.

All that being said, this time is one of the few times over the last couple of years that my wife and I haven't taken advantage of the 60,000 crowns for $60 for each of us. Sometimes if the bills are paid, we'll even do 120,000 each, but I don't think we will anymore. Most of the crowns gear is not giving the advantage it used to anymore. The hoard packs aren't the "bonanza" they used to be, it seems like it's getting harder and harder to get anything besides bobbleheads, music scrolls, seeds and common reagents. I'd be willing to pay more for packs that aren't full of garbage.

But, I am convinced that KI isn't ALL about the money because people have said for years that they would gladly spend crowns to have more control over the pet hatching / training process.
How do you get your pet to may cast sprite spell, unicorn, fairy

Hero
Jul 30, 2012

Not exactly a suitable response for the target audience of the Professor 's original post. If somebody is regularly raising plots of evil magma peas then obviously they have been playing the game long enough to know how to train a pet.

There is a huge difference between a new first-time wizard under level 50, compared to someone with level 80+ wizards that can garden, craft, and shared-bank stuff to their lower leveled wizards.

Try training a pet to ancient with a level 40 wizard without the help of crowns or shared bank-stuff and then feel the frustration when all you get is a useless talent.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pets. And always have. I just think its a major source of frustration for gamers who are in their first 50 hours of game play.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2010

KI is in the business to provide a service for $ to keep the company growing and profitable. Crown seeds drop , so do energy bottles, mega snacks etc. You never have to buy anything if you dont want to its just quicker if you did :-)

If your gardening and doing pet work why not do this across multiple wizards many of us have multiple 80+'s its not bad. In the early days pet work was horrible but now things are more predictable gold comes easy, megas come easy with properly setup gardens and such. (plots of around 50 per casting circle in 2 layers)

The only thing i did notice is the best gear in the game for energy and stats comes from packs. Not the game card bundles but packs each year they get better and better too.

Some of the new wands may drop in the final zone this has not been confirmed, however with the advancement of pet may cast talents every map in w101 can be done alone without much trouble.

I blew through thousands of megas doing multiple pet projects at the same time on one wizard, its very frustrating but pets are more predicable. i.e i typically will get proof, defy and fairy on every pet i self hatch with. I wish the model was more controllable and all eggs hatched in 5 minutes :-)

conclusion things get better later on for many of us :-) looking for that next update in the game there is nothing really to do in w101 or p101