Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why you feel waterworks gear is the best

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 10, 2011
Dr Von on Feb 22, 2013 wrote:
well said, sarahnimo. but, as a casual player, allow me to respectfully disagree.

me? i hate crafting. actually, that's an understatement, as in i would sell my soul to mally the undying, in exchange for crafting immunity (actually, if that was the case, i'd give it to him for free). my promethean sorceress is a legendary artisan- there is exactly one piece of agave nectar between shadowsong and her transcendent crafter badge, but she is the only one, and will probably always be. i can't bring myself to go through all of that trouble on another wizard, because crafting is slow and painful torture, end of.

yes, ww runs can be torture as well, at the best of times. but, when i go in there, i go in with a strategy and a good team, and we're out of there in less than an hour. when i factor in the amount of time i'd spend transmuting and reagent-farming, i may as well have run waterworks 12 times. and, for a casual player, that's a lot of time that most of us don't have.

my balance wizard's current gear is only a partial ww set. here's what she currently has equipped:

-hood/cape of judgement
-greenwarden's energetic boots (crowns item from some hoard pack, once upon a time)
-winter palace spikeleaf sword (from the yuletide pack) at the moment, though i am known to switch them up,
-great wild wood pendant (avalon boss drop)
-nameless ring (no auction avalon boss drop)
-olyphant's storied scimitar (surprise! zafaria crafted)
-pet with proof, add balance, sharp shot, fairy friend, and balance-it.

death and storm are both in full ww gear.
storm, in particular, is scary, as she has a 90% damage boost and does not fizzle.

i am not averse to incorporating crowns gear into my setup. that said, crowns gear should not be the only option, because crafted stuff is not worth the time it takes to craft it. i really don't care about critical or school-specific block; i prefer universal stats, and they have served me well in all aspects thus far. i'll take my 40% global resist over a 200 critical rating any day.

as i mentioned before, crafted gear does not benefit balance at all. the avalon stuff requires us sorcerers to craft 2 separate sets of gear for our wizards, both of which are subpar. as a casual player, every moment i spend in-game counts for something and, if i'm going to waste time, i can think of better ways to do it than craft gear that does not benefit me.

-von
promethean sorceress, casual player, legendary artisan who hates crafting.
You only proved what I mentioned already. Like the rest of us, there is nothing wrong with your choices because it fits you playstyle. But unlike WW gears, crafting is a necessary tool. Farming at WW, however,is not a need-to-do activity. I did witness some balance players favor crafted gears mixed with WW. Even you ended up going partial for your set. But that is beside the point. It is not a question of which is better anymore because obviously anything works as long as players can make them. But try not to speak only for your school and be clouded with a biased hatred for crafting. Instead see how any player "truly" benefit more from crafting gears and in general crafting in itself.
  • crafting gears gives an instant boost at wintertusk nearly the same time one gains access to WW. Time spent farming for it can equally be used for crafting.
  • Like WW, crafted gears is a far better option than crown items. Only this time, WW sets may not be useful anymore as new worlds come out. Crafted gears however is here to stay, It is a staple menu of W101 where recipes are always available for any player willing to craft them.
  • special spells like deer knight, handsome famori, ninja pigs, luminous weaver, etc. can be crafted if you want to save crowns than buying hoard packs and end up picking them on the wrong wizard.
  • gardening, which is an essential source of reagents, cards, pet food needs some items crafted too to max out the likes of some plants (e.g. Deadly helephant ears, Couch Potatoes) to speed up their growth
  • Grand non-crown homes and house items like mannequins can be done only through crafting.
  • Even with the lure of universal resist & damage with WW, the best items for critical block can be still be seen with crafted gears. It is only inevitable that players need to do some crafting in the long run.if they want more options to set up their wizards according to their play style.
  • Critical rate has been maligned by this threads often. But experience taught me that it is a far better useful offensive stat that doubles as a healing boost too. This stat is magnified well only with crafted gears
The bottomline is, crafting is something that players cannot ignore anymore. It is a necessity especially for anyone who wants to save crowns and still end up beating the game with barely any money involved.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
I and others like it because it has critical, critical block, Insane damage boosts, and pretty good resistance. Some don't like it and don't wear it. I have a friend in Azteca like this. I have better stats then him because I wore WW. And trust me, I worked really hard to farm WW and most people don't like it because the farming is annoying.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
wizardrokz on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
I and others like it because it has critical, critical block, Insane damage boosts, and pretty good resistance. Some don't like it and don't wear it. I have a friend in Azteca like this. I have better stats then him because I wore WW. And trust me, I worked really hard to farm WW and most people don't like it because the farming is annoying.
The problem with this is that critical is almost useless after zafaria. That is one of the main reasons i dont use WWgear any longer. If you take the critical bonus out of the ww gear then it really isnt the best option for stats anymore.

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
I found that the gear from the yuletide packs to be some of the best I have found, if you were lucky enough or had enough crowns to get all 3 suits at least. Even before the yuletide pack, I found that to survive in azteca, I had to play musical chairs with my gear each fight so as to stack the right resistances. Generally, the various resist gears for me left my attacks weakend. I play mostly solo, which required me as a death wizard to rely on resist gear more than anything else when solo.

With a pet that only has healing talents, and one of the yuletide armor sets, I was pulling solid a solid 30 to 50+ resists depending on which suit I wore and which resistance I wanted. My damage on the other hand was up to a respectable 60+ and I maintained a critical rating of over 100 with a block rating of over 150. Not a one suit solution, but it is the best solution for my play style which has been to not waste time casting various shields and just take the hits while my pet keeps me healed and I prepare for a one shot kill by placing as many different feints as i can on the mobs.

I don't think there is one particular armor suit for anyone. WW gear is great to use while you're still learning how to play your character, some move beyond it and some don't. It all depends on the character and the player. As for crowns gear, it isn't the end all be all, just as ww gear isn't either. I've found that most of the crowns gear available limits players considerably. It will be designed to excel in one particular boss fight, but be absolutely worthless against the trash mobs leading up to that fight.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
The problem with this is that critical is almost useless after zafaria. That is one of the main reasons i dont use WWgear any longer. If you take the critical bonus out of the ww gear then it really isnt the best option for stats anymore.
well if the level 85 crown gear would incorparate universal resist and block instead of this you can only fight 2 schools stuff then i would have dumped my ww gear the moment i saw it. i am well aware of the archmage attire in the crown shop but should i choose that gear i would lose some of my precious damage boost witch is what is keeping me alive. i forgot what kind of accuracy rating it gives but im pretty sure that my ww gear gives more accuracy witch i sorely need as a pyromancer.

again i did azteca just fine in ww gear. so really if it trully is not the best anymore then i must be even better than i thought i was for doing azteca in full ww gear. btw my pet ate my ww robe last month and ive been living with a robe i got from the new hoard pack. ive tried getting my robe back from waterworks but apparently it doesnt give seconds so the robe i have will suffice for now, after all i only lose 2 damage boost, 6 accuracy, and 5 health boost for power pip raiting, 2 extra universal resist, and some extra health.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i don't use my ww set for critical~ if i wanted critical, i would have crafted zafaria gear.

i keep my ww set on for the crit block. my wizard maxed out in pitch-black lake, so she's not far enough in the game to get the crafted gear (since it is unlocked by quest progression and i don't quest for no xp). i have seen the azteca crafted set, since a friend of mine has hers... it's a step above the avalon gear, but balance wizards are once again required to craft two different sets of gear, both of which are subpar.

crafted gear provides resist and block only for your school and 2 others in your group (or, in the case of balance, spirit *or* elemental trio). i would much rather keep my universal resist and block, as opposed to super-high block for only 3 schools and nothing for the others.

-von.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Dr Von on Mar 19, 2013 wrote:
i don't use my ww set for critical~ if i wanted critical, i would have crafted zafaria gear.

i keep my ww set on for the crit block. my wizard maxed out in pitch-black lake, so she's not far enough in the game to get the crafted gear (since it is unlocked by quest progression and i don't quest for no xp). i have seen the azteca crafted set, since a friend of mine has hers... it's a step above the avalon gear, but balance wizards are once again required to craft two different sets of gear, both of which are subpar.

crafted gear provides resist and block only for your school and 2 others in your group (or, in the case of balance, spirit *or* elemental trio). i would much rather keep my universal resist and block, as opposed to super-high block for only 3 schools and nothing for the others.

-von.
You get about 40 block from full set of WW. i can get 125 block from one wand. Or 60 from boots ect...
WW is one of those sets that its so time consuming to get that people just dont want to move on from it.

If you would use crown and pack gear they cast a pretty big shadow over WW gear.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2009
i love waterworks gear even though i am archmage cause it gives great damage good resist and also critical and block rating as its different for every school and its easy and fun to get it..

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Perhaps this is why so many people find Avalon/Azteca really hard!

I agree with gunslinger that critical resistance is most important in Azteca. Furthermore, universal stats are only good for general purpose questing. When fighting tough mobs for did-not-collect quests or really tough bosses it is far more effective to wear approriate gear.

Last night in Alto Alto I was wearing crafted gear with really good universal critical resists and getting my butt kicked by occasional critical hits of 3500+ pts.... in the first round of battle! So I quickly crafted some enemy specific gear and voila! No more critical hits getting through... no more getting killed.

Wearing multi-purpose generic gear is simply not an effective method for surviving the tough quests.

I don't like getting killed, so I have three sets of gear:

1. Primary universal gear for general questing in Avalon/Azteca. High universal critical resistance, fantastic resitances against some select schools. Crafted gear.

2. Secondary gear for Azteca: High critical resistance against other specific schools. Use only on special occasions. Crafted gear.

3. Non-Avalon/Azteca gear. Good for cruising the spiral and kicking butt. High damage and critical ratings, low resistances. (I don't have waterworks gear, but it would fall in this category).

Happy Wizarding!

Mastermind
Mar 05, 2011
I think the rounded stats draw people in. Before and in Celestia you can't get gear with very rounded stats. But WW gear gives you resist, attack, accuracy/power pip, critical, and block. My Ice character still uses the boots (level 87) my death still uses the full set (81) and my storm uses it (70) I think it gives good stats for its level. But now there is crafted gear. This crafted gear is now emerging as the best (except for myth I never see myth with any crafted gear O.o) but storm, ice, and balance all use crafted. The block boots are really popular for most schools I see them a lot on deaths.

Wolf Skullslinger, Deathhammer, Stormblood, Mythhammer, and Wolf

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Dr Von on Mar 19, 2013 wrote:

-von.
Agreed. Its the crafted gear that has more critical, so why not use the Waterworks? The only thing that deserve to be crafted are the boots. Your School/Ice boots are awesome.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
I too do not use my WW gear for critical: I use it for the uni block, damage, and resist. I finished the game in WW gear: I found it time-efficient not to have to gear shift that often. I did run through with a WyrdOak Staff or Brutal Ice Arrow Rod for the crit block. I still run my wizzies with WW gear except for the AZ school+ice 93 global critical block crafted boots and only for the upper half of Azteca (I like the WW damage, accuracy and pips).

But that is dependent on school. On life, I find that for my gameplay style, I like the Jade gear from the Keeper's Lore pack for the global resist and increased heal boost. However, if you dont use crowns, WW gear with the crit block boots and the crit block wand helps. :)

Good luck!

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Dr Von on Feb 18, 2013 wrote:
that's where you're wrong, my friend~ my stats are higher than any other balance wizard i've run across, and i don't have any of the new crowns/crafted gear; i don't need it, because i'm just that awesome already.

as i've mentioned previously, i am an advocate for the average player, and average players don't always have crowns or time to waste. and i'm sorry, but a whole bunch of critical and school-only block are not worth giving up my universal stats for; i could care less for mana or outgoing heal as well.

here are stats for my level 90 balance~

health~ 4390
mana~ 331

damage +76% for balance, +23% for all others;
resist +40 universal
accuracy +12%
critical 133
block 122 universal

power pips 86%
incoming heal +32%

i am a legendary artisan and can't get anywhere close to these numbers with crowns or crafted gear. in avalon, i had to craft 2 different sets of gear for my wizard, and both were awful~ i also did the same for death and storm, and ww gear outdid the crafted stuff, in all cases.

-von
My critical block was 175 (death, life) 115 (storm, ice, fire) ~ similar to yours

When doing the crazy did-not-collect quest in alto alto the Shadow Weaver Gliders (storm) would get critical hits past me 3500+ pts about every second battle. After getting hit with a 4648pt hit... time to change gear.

New zafaria crafted gear critical block: 202 universal. Problem solved. No more criticals got me.

Incidentally other stats for new gear:
damage: 68%
resist: 21-26%
critical: 220 (death)
critical block: 202 (univ)
accuracy: 11%
power pip: 71%

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
gunslinger, i wish i knew where you pulled these numbers from.

my level 90 balance has the greenwarden boots from whatever hoard pack it is, but the rest of her gear is from ww~ she hits hard, and her crit block is over 170, plus 40% universal resist. she had no problems in azteca, and could easily solo bosses with a mob deck.

(no way am i giving those stats up~ it'll be a cold day in... uh, dragonspyre... before that ever happens)

death (86) and storm (72) are both still in ww gear and have awesome crit block, plus upwards of 30% universal resist.

and i've told you a thousand times, crowns items should not be required to progress in-game. it's not about whether i can afford them or not (and i assure you, i can)~ it's the principle. i'm disappointed that buying one's way through the game become the generally-accepted norm.

-von

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Dr Von on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:

my level 90 balance has the greenwarden boots from whatever hoard pack it is, but the rest of her gear is from ww~ she hits hard, and her crit block is over 170, plus 40% universal resist. she had no problems in azteca, and could easily solo bosses with a mob deck.

(no way am i giving those stats up~ it'll be a cold day in... uh, dragonspyre... before that ever happens)

death (86) and storm (72) are both still in ww gear and have awesome crit block, plus upwards of 30% universal resist.

and i've told you a thousand times, crowns items should not be required to progress in-game. it's not about whether i can afford them or not (and i assure you, i can)~ it's the principle. i'm disappointed that buying one's way through the game become the generally-accepted norm.

-von
I agree with you here - altho I do not have all the WW gear for all my wizards I at least have the crafted WT gear and altho I may charge up/out other gear items this is my staple.

It may come down to this - like many other things in life, the more you pay the better it has to be?

Altho I have had a few crown items dropped over the years on the game, I have not purchased any because I think my wizard should earn the gear needed.

Leave crowns for fancy mounts, pets, housing but the best gear and spells draw the line for me as wrong.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

-von
No one should be accepting the "Pay to Win" in this game.

Nerfing the gear while increasing the difficulty is beyond reason. I have looked at the crowns gear, but there are other things that are more important than buying gear in a game for REAL MONEY. Plus, IF (and that won't happen) I were to buy Crowns gear, it certainly would not be the school specific gear. The few Crowns items I have on any of my high lvl wizards was gifted to me. I do buy a couple of packs now and then on each account, but that is the only place I come up with any additional crowns items on any wizard.

My life wizard is also nearing lvl cap very soon and when she does, she stops running in Az. She will not quest when there is no XP to be gained. She will only help friends in lower worlds and my wizards on second account. If the gear continues to degrade with further new content, then she is probably finished with quest progression.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010

-von
Wasnt pulled from anywhere. Add up your waterworks gear block its like 40 total combined from full set. One of the wands i mentioned was the misty mountain mandolin giving 130 block along with power pip and inc/out heal boost.

And there are tons of gear giving good block, This is where everyone makes the mistake about WW gear, If you mix an match the crowns and pack stuff you end up with better stats no matter what school you are.

And as for buying crowns an packs well thats the price you pay for great gear. In real life you get what you pay for right so whats the difference in the game.

You dont have to get it but none the less its still better than waterworks gear.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
a dungion that takes 4 hours with 2 cheating 21k and 24k bosses and about 100 other minions,that you pray you get one peice every time you go throughMust have good armor.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:
Wasnt pulled from anywhere. Add up your waterworks gear block its like 40 total combined from full set. One of the wands i mentioned was the misty mountain mandolin giving 130 block along with power pip and inc/out heal boost.

And there are tons of gear giving good block, This is where everyone makes the mistake about WW gear, If you mix an match the crowns and pack stuff you end up with better stats no matter what school you are.

And as for buying crowns an packs well thats the price you pay for great gear. In real life you get what you pay for right so whats the difference in the game.

You dont have to get it but none the less its still better than waterworks gear.
and its your opinion that there is gear better then ww gear and i can respect that however i will still argue my point. pretty much any gear out there that gives universal block either completly lacks, universal resist, high damage boost, accuracy boost, and heal boost. what good are those block boots that give 80 universal block if they dont give you resist and many other essentail things. again my pyromancer lives off of damage boost and resist(plus the high universal resist my accuracy is 94 with full ww).
i didnt know a wand like that existed so ill take a look into it so thanks for telling me about it.

as for buying crowns, well. ww gear is great and that didnt cost anything besides a lot of time and farming. honestly if you take a look at the crown shop gear, anything aside from the arkmage attire either has no resist, or resist and block for 2 schools. thats not better thats worse.

Squire
Jul 28, 2011
For me it was different. I Started Avalon with no WW gear. It was awful for me, and really hard. So, I farmed WW until I got the entire set of it, and when I went back, I was overkilling everything.

I haven't found any cloths with better stats even minus critical.

I have heard others say it's no good in Avalon, but I couldn't have made it to the Wild with out it.

-Angela DragonStone
The wizard that rokz

Champion
Dec 01, 2011
Rony The Turtle on Feb 18, 2013 wrote:
...Let me help prove waterworks is NOT the best. Well, for the elemental schools at least. I can't speak for spirit since none of my spirit-school wizards or balance wizard are not level 60 to 90 yet. (Life is almost 60)

Fire:
Horned Vestment vs Waterworks robe
Horned vestment wins because:
More health
More critical
Actual noticeable block
Waterworks only has 1 more damage
NOW with Azteca:
Guard Fire Robe wins because:
More health
More critical
Actual noticeable block
Same damage now
+1 Universal resist

Hat:
Knightly Helm vs Waterworks Hood
Knightly Helm wins because:
More health
Over twice more critical
More storm resist
More ice resist
Item Card
More damage

At what loss?
9% universal resist, but it is 100% worth it.

Boots?
Pvp wise, waterworks boots are just about TRASH now.
Why? Lets look at block boots.
Barely any resist lost
Over 3x more block
More health

Now lets see... What are people wearing in the arena now? A hat with 100+ critical. You need over 140 block now, from your wand and boots.

Now lexicon blade and aureate are also out of date. Crafted gear beats those also now. More incoming, more health, more Power Pip chance for the ring, and amazing block. In the next world, Lexicon blade will be trash. Aureate already is trash. These are stronger dropped ones for damage.

So overall? In my opinion, trash everything you have. Crafted gear is the future of PvP.
I am a Pyromancer. I agree with the most parts you said, but only for 1 or 2 things:

The Hat:

In PvP, Fire and Storm wizards enjoy adding their critical up to 300s. So sure, in PvP I use my hat. But the disadvantage is that if you are facing another Fire, Myth, Life, Death or Balance, you are stuck with 0 resist...

But here is where pets come in to play: Proof and Defy have almost turned into "must have talents for PvP." That is right. So yes, I SOMETIMES use the hat. But its at my own risk.

Robe, I can agree.

Fire/Ice boots are just awesome. Once I crafted them, as you said, the WW boots werent the best anymore.

I never loved the Lexicon Blade. I HATE the outgoing healing boost. I like the incoming better.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
wizardrokz on Mar 21, 2013 wrote:
For me it was different. I Started Avalon with no WW gear. It was awful for me, and really hard. So, I farmed WW until I got the entire set of it, and when I went back, I was overkilling everything.

I haven't found any cloths with better stats even minus critical.

I have heard others say it's no good in Avalon, but I couldn't have made it to the Wild with out it.

-Angela DragonStone
The wizard that rokz
See for me i used none of the ww gear and buzzed through azteca with no major issues. it is a challenging world of course but i made it through in like a weeks time and thats only playing when able.

It really depends on how you build your character i guess so i should not say that ww gear is bad and really im not but for me the gear i use is much better and gets me through every battle without a loss.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
Obviously generic gear with balanced universal stats that get the job done are preferable because its nice to have a single standard outfit that you can cruise the spiral in.

But if you are getting your butt kicked don't be crying that Azteca is too tough because you are unwilling to change gear for specific situations. Non-crown gear has been made available, its your choice to use it.

Off Topic: I do think KI made a concept mistake in Alto Alto. The mobs there have very high critical requiring us to have high critical block. There is a vendor standing RIGHT THERE beside these same mobs with high critical block outfits which we can't craft because we haven't got out agave nectar or that cazy tc for completing our crafting quest. So you must search the spiral for alternate gear with acceptable critical block.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Im not gonna waste the time it takes to farm the waterworks stuff when its subpar now. I can use my time to level more wizards or do something much more interesting that run through that dungeon 20 times for one set. No where near worth the time for gear that doesnt stand up anymore.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
gweedoboy on Mar 20, 2013 wrote:
and its your opinion that there is gear better then ww gear and i can respect that however i will still argue my point. pretty much any gear out there that gives universal block either completly lacks, universal resist, high damage boost, accuracy boost, and heal boost. what good are those block boots that give 80 universal block if they dont give you resist and many other essentail things. again my pyromancer lives off of damage boost and resist(plus the high universal resist my accuracy is 94 with full ww).
i didnt know a wand like that existed so ill take a look into it so thanks for telling me about it.

as for buying crowns, well. ww gear is great and that didnt cost anything besides a lot of time and farming. honestly if you take a look at the crown shop gear, anything aside from the arkmage attire either has no resist, or resist and block for 2 schools. thats not better thats worse.
Theres a better block wand in the new shaman pack, I forget its name but it has 150 block plus critical and power pip.