Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I understand a challenge, but this....

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 24, 2013 wrote:
I only wish there is a way to balance it. Thats where no one agrees though. I mean seriously how do we balance it, Does anyone have suggestions. Dont just say make the game easier actually give some ideas and input.
We've been trying to discuss the problems and explore solutions in these forums, which you have disrupted with insulting and repetitive posts.

You claim in other posts to not care one way or the other, so why do you continue to insert your non-productive comments into these threads?

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 19, 2013 wrote:
Well im a casual gamer so what group do you fit in then. You would like a nerf in azteca correct. The name represents your thoughts its not for poking fun.
Stretching the meaning of casual gamer does not mean that is it. If you are questing in the second arc you are no longer a casual gamer. You now need to calculate your quests, gear and deck construction. Casual gamers do not crave that in their game play. The game actually gets stressful.

We do not enjoy the drama required to get our wizards though the game. The figuring and calculating is not in a casual gamers meaning of Fun to Play.

As you quest though the Spiral the line between family fun and hard core elements are evident. If you can see this or admit it I don't know a better way to explain it.

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
I only wish there is a way to balance it. Thats where no one agrees though. I mean seriously how do we balance it, Does anyone have suggestions. Dont just say make the game easier actually give some ideas and input.
easy and normal difficulty realms simple as that.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Suggestions have been made to help balance the game.

Most of us are getting tired of sounding like broken records and being treated with rudeness and disrespect. Being told we don't know what we are talking about and being stereotyped.

There are things that do need to be changed in Az. First get rid of 3vs1 on Spell quests. Our wizards are underpowered as it is in Az and this just makes it worse. Yes, I have done a 3vs1 and believe me it was not fun in any way shape, or form. And yes, I did beat it and no, I did not hire henchmen. That is not happening. But by the time I finished, I was ready to say enough of wizard and still not sure I won't. I play to have fun, not work. I do enough of that during the day, thank you!!

If side worlds had been added in between the main worlds with decent gear upgrades, we would not be in Az yet and we would not be having these discussions. If we had been given better spell upgrades instead of the more enhancements, we would not be having these discussions. It has all been said.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Canny B Moone on Jan 24, 2013 wrote:
We've been trying to discuss the problems and explore solutions in these forums, which you have disrupted with insulting and repetitive posts.

You claim in other posts to not care one way or the other, so why do you continue to insert your non-productive comments into these threads?
Queen still no comment on how to balance thats what we are looking for.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Northlite on Jan 24, 2013 wrote:
Stretching the meaning of casual gamer does not mean that is it. If you are questing in the second arc you are no longer a casual gamer. You now need to calculate your quests, gear and deck construction. Casual gamers do not crave that in their game play. The game actually gets stressful.

We do not enjoy the drama required to get our wizards though the game. The figuring and calculating is not in a casual gamers meaning of Fun to Play.

As you quest though the Spiral the line between family fun and hard core elements are evident. If you can see this or admit it I don't know a better way to explain it.
I think you are making up what ever definition you want for things. A casual gamer is simply one who plays for fun and doesnt play all the time. And im pretty sure alot of people already completed azteca that are casual gamers.

Saying that you are no longer a casual gamer if on the second arc is crazy and just because you feel that the game isnt where you want it doesnt mean its like that for the rest of the realm.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
gweedoboy on Jan 24, 2013 wrote:
easy and normal difficulty realms simple as that.
I can agree with that as long as they are seperate. Sounds fair enough.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
DragonLady1818 on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:
Suggestions have been made to help balance the game.

Most of us are getting tired of sounding like broken records and being treated with rudeness and disrespect. Being told we don't know what we are talking about and being stereotyped.

There are things that do need to be changed in Az. First get rid of 3vs1 on Spell quests. Our wizards are underpowered as it is in Az and this just makes it worse. Yes, I have done a 3vs1 and believe me it was not fun in any way shape, or form. And yes, I did beat it and no, I did not hire henchmen. That is not happening. But by the time I finished, I was ready to say enough of wizard and still not sure I won't. I play to have fun, not work. I do enough of that during the day, thank you!!

If side worlds had been added in between the main worlds with decent gear upgrades, we would not be in Az yet and we would not be having these discussions. If we had been given better spell upgrades instead of the more enhancements, we would not be having these discussions. It has all been said.
Ok so the 3vrs1 is a concern. But you did make it through though and thats the key clue.

More side worlds would be great but would not make anything easier.

Better spell upgrades i can agree with.

I do know this, If you play for fun but havent been having fun for a while why still play?

Lets hear more everyone. How to make it challenging without being to challenging?

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 25, 2013 wrote:
Ok so the 3vrs1 is a concern. But you did make it through though and thats the key clue.

More side worlds would be great but would not make anything easier.

Better spell upgrades i can agree with.

I do know this, If you play for fun but havent been having fun for a while why still play?

Lets hear more everyone. How to make it challenging without being to challenging?
Suggestions have been made in many posts. Why is it we are the ones who have to come up with something constructive, while others sit back without offering constructive comments, or do their best to tear down what others say.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Queen still no comment on how to balance thats what we are looking for.
Ya, you'll find I don't reply to you, because you are not the sort of wizard who strikes me as reasonable or prepared for a constructive conversation about the game.

Qbb

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Canny B Moone on Jan 26, 2013 wrote:
Ya, you'll find I don't reply to you, because you are not the sort of wizard who strikes me as reasonable or prepared for a constructive conversation about the game.

Qbb
No problem. Im all about constructive comments unfortunately havent seen many on this thread yet. Still waiting.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
robotwizard555 on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
dude words of advice get crowns get henchmen then ATTACK!!!!!!!
Don't need Henchmen to beat Azteca. I have friends of every school who have beaten it without this.

Yes, Azteca is challenging. It is not only difficult in its own right, but it also challenges all the assumptions you have learned for 80 levels about how to play.

The secret to beating Azteca is to step back, evaluate what they are doing to make your battles so difficult, and see if you can come up with an approach that dampens their advantage.

For me, running Life, it turned out to be the spam deck.

See, some bosses stole my pips. No worries. I get a new one every turn. I have 100% power pips. Colossal Leprechaun does 800 damage. Primordial Fairy does 800 heal. 1200 if under Sanctuary. Problem solved. for me.

Some bosses stole my accuracy with Smoke Screen. No worries. Each attack is only worth 800, each heal also. Most of my attacks go through; the ones that fail don't impede my progress much. Problem solved. for me.

Some bosses stole my turns with stuns. No worries. Each attack is only worth 800, each heal also. The attack or heal they prevented was only 800 points and I'm doing it again next turn anyway. Most of my attacks and heals go through, the ones that fail don't impede my progress much. Problem solved. for me.

I'm not saying this is an exciting way to grind through Azteca. But it is effective.

And no wasted Crowns on minions, depriving you of the feeling that you actually beat the game.

- Stephen Earthmender
Life Wizard, Pixie Realm

Survivor
Jul 27, 2010
What Ive learned in Azteca that helped me survive was to have different sets of gear, decks and pets for each situation. Im a casual player as well and was able to solo about 95% of the content with my storm wizard. Doing the same thing in the other world does not work here, the mobs are annoying, you have to build your deck strategically and know what to cast and when to cast it, get stun block and get some stun spells yourself. No room for error or your done, I barely survive most solo fights (with 20 health left or less) but I survive.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
I am a fire wizard and me and my friend storm wizard bossed through azteca so i haven't soloed much but then i got the star school quest and it was the most painful expierence ever The boss and his two 3.2k fire spawns always go first and every time I get in a good posistion to take the fire spawns out and do some major damage to the boss and start 1v1 to set up an epic efreet what does he do he eartquakes boom all my blades gone ok fight two medusa then he and the fire spawns finish me in two rounds of nothing

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
i have not soloed that much in Azteca because that is just a little too time consuming for me but when i hit the star school quest it was bad I am fire so either have to put on some blades or perfectly place the traps and prisms so i go for blades boom medusa boom earthquake it was just horrible

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I think you are making up what ever definition you want for things. A casual gamer is simply one who plays for fun and doesnt play all the time. And im pretty sure alot of people already completed azteca that are casual gamers.

Saying that you are no longer a casual gamer if on the second arc is crazy and just because you feel that the game isnt where you want it doesnt mean its like that for the rest of the realm.
i understand where brwac is coming from, and i respect her opinions a lot. but, for once, i agree with gunslinger's definition.

i am a casual gamer (probably what most pvpers consider a "noob"), but i have multiple wizards in the second arc; for me, planning and executing a strategy is half the fun, and it's extremely satisfying to see my hard work pay off. i have good stats, and a good pet~ they are not perfect, but they serve the purpose i need them to.

things i don't like
(rather, things i lack patience with or for):

-cheating bosses that you can't prepare for, because you don't know what to expect.
-reliance on off-school spells;
-dungeons that take hours to complete;
-tedious, boring did-not-collect quests;
-having to use a pvp mindset in pve;
-groups being a requirement*

*while i like questing with friends (and i have lots of them), i also enjoy my own company sometimes; or maybe i log on early in the day and have entire servers to myself. the game should be playable for both solo and team efforts, and players should not be punished for being unable or unwilling to find a group.

-von

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Dr Von on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
i understand where brwac is coming from, and i respect her opinions a lot. but, for once, i agree with gunslinger's definition.

i am a casual gamer (probably what most pvpers consider a "noob"), but i have multiple wizards in the second arc; for me, planning and executing a strategy is half the fun, and it's extremely satisfying to see my hard work pay off. i have good stats, and a good pet~ they are not perfect, but they serve the purpose i need them to.

things i don't like

-cheating bosses that you can't prepare for, because you don't know what to expect.

*while i like questing with friends (and i have lots of them), i also enjoy my own company sometimes; or maybe i log on early in the day and have entire servers to myself. the game should be playable for both solo and team efforts, and players should not be punished for being unable or unwilling to find a group.

-von
Thanks Von - I have decided to call myself soft core rather then casual from now on, poor choice of category I maybe in, lol. I like questing and direction the game has but when it comes to the constant calibrating of your wizard to get them though battles it looses my attention fast, for some it actually becomes a down right bore. I like the first arc because it does somewhat keep you on a happy go lucky fling though the Sprial - enter Celestia - more serious game play - wizards you meet are more intent on defeating things then actual questing, the crowds attitude goes into survival mode.

I think my issue stems from family members with disabilities that I quest with daily that unfortunately do not have the mind set that allows them to play these upper worlds and they want to finish the game just as bad as others do. They really don't belong playing the game but they like it just the same. I feel bad I started them in a game they can not complete. Even with my very equipped Life wizard I find it difficult to save them and battle to get them though these upper worlds. These people are adults - my kids quit long ago. I managed it in Avalon but found it was a chore for me and started to loose my like for the game in general as I clawed my way though. If you think about the diverse population the game has please realize even if you say it's easy peasy lemon squeezing does not make it that way for every one.

I personally have always been a solo player - I have and still do help many but prefer to fight my own battles - my fight style is very aggressive and some times others fighting with me find this to be a put off since I tend to be the focal point of fights. Those who asked me for help only did when they wanted it done for them. I always have a wizard somewhere that I quest by my self with.

I also notice it maybe a patience issue - I have lost patience for the long drawn out battles, this is even the regular mobs and worse if others join in, after Avalon I was just tired of it. When you can go make coffee in between turns it's boring.

In the end I don't think the game Wizards101 becomes is the one I joined it for, which is my problem to deal with. I am truly not interested in a head banging game - that is why I didn't go to WOW like so many of my friends tried and also didn't like. In the end we all need to seek our level of what we consider fun in a game. What works for me certainly doesn't set the mold for all.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010

things i don't like

-von
Von i agree with most of what youve stated. But i just dont feel that people are being punished, My reason for saying that is this, The game has been completed solo by many. So it comes down to the fact that some people just cant beat it solo with the strategy they use thats all. No ones being punished they are just being tested.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
I think we can all draw some simple conclusions here. First of all what the game has become in the second arc just isn't for everyone. Yes, I could figure it out but frankly my dear I have no desire to play that type of game and never have.

Back when WW was released I started to call the game "the have's and have nots". The chance to get increased, crafting and pet training became a pain in the neck and more and more was unattainable by the regular game players - menu chat became shunned.

Those who did not join the game for the "family fun" and stress free play where happy when Celestia was release, let the challenges begin. Competition grew in the atmosphere of the spiral. All of my regular friends quit by then.

I think it may all come down to this - what portion of the game makes the most money? The first arc or from there on?

In the end here it is - many are complaining about in balance in the game but are questing though even if they state they hated it. Many are against paying for henchmen to continue on but are buying them. Those who can not find those magical "friends" to get them though are quitting.

How was KI suppose to make the game more difficult for those who thrive on that kind of game play if they didn't start to tip the tables towards the monsters more and make the wizard fight harder to avoid defeat?

What I can see here is making a game strictly for family fun doesn't pay. Keeping the worlds of the Spiral playable by 10 and up just isn't practical.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

things i don't like

-von
Von, I would like to add one more thing to your list of "things I lack Patience with or for".

***trying to do a 3 vs 1 astral spell quest*** where you get hit with the highest spells in the game which you have not even gotten yet. Being hit every round with a spell of at least rank 6 and up is the most frustrating and stressful I have found yet. THAT is not my idea of fun. Having to hire henchmen to complete these quests is in my opinion punishment. Pay to Win if you will. What happens to those players that can't afford to hire henchmen or have disabilities that prevent them from doing these quests? They have the right to be heard as well , but it seems that some can't understand that this is what many of us are getting at. As well as the nerfed gear and the difference of the power pips.

Having to use a PvP mindset in PvE is not something that a lot of players want to deal with. If PvE is becoming PvP, I can see a lot more players leaving the game. The young players of my own family have already left and did so shortly after Cl was released along with many of the adult friends I had at that time. Yes, I have made a lot of new and wonderful friends and they are better friends than I had back then. They have been there when I need help and are more than willing to do so.

Like you, i enjoy questing with friends but I also like to move at my own pace and company as well. You are quite right. The game should be playable for both solo and team and be just as much fun for both ways of questing.

The whole point is that the game is rated "E" for Everyone and that is what it should be.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
brwac said:

"How was KI suppose to make the game more difficult for those who thrive on that kind of game play if they didn't start to tip the tables towards the monsters more and make the wizard fight harder to avoid defeat?"

Answer: Side worlds and optional dungeons. They could make side worlds as crazy difficult as possible for those who want crazy tough challenges. Have some unique gear, pets, or badges that only those players can get and show off. Perhaps Azteca should have been introduced as an uber-challenging side world.

They could also make optional fun simpler worlds for young kids that many of us may not enjoy. Candy Land or Waffle Island. Whatever.

The decision to stick with a linear progression path for everybody to follow that gets progressively more difficult is obviously going to be prohibitive to many players. Defintely young kids. Perhaps most players if the trend continues.

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
Northlite on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
I think we can all draw some simple conclusions here. First of all what the game has become in the second arc just isn't for everyone. Yes, I could figure it out but frankly my dear I have no desire to play that type of game and never have.

Back when WW was released I started to call the game "the have's and have nots". The chance to get increased, crafting and pet training became a pain in the neck and more and more was unattainable by the regular game players - menu chat became shunned.

Those who did not join the game for the "family fun" and stress free play where happy when Celestia was release, let the challenges begin. Competition grew in the atmosphere of the spiral. All of my regular friends quit by then.

I think it may all come down to this - what portion of the game makes the most money? The first arc or from there on?

In the end here it is - many are complaining about in balance in the game but are questing though even if they state they hated it. Many are against paying for henchmen to continue on but are buying them. Those who can not find those magical "friends" to get them though are quitting.

How was KI suppose to make the game more difficult for those who thrive on that kind of game play if they didn't start to tip the tables towards the monsters more and make the wizard fight harder to avoid defeat?

What I can see here is making a game strictly for family fun doesn't pay. Keeping the worlds of the Spiral playable by 10 and up just isn't practical.
for menu chat they are lucky if they just get shunned now. but that is another topic altogether.

but you have to look at the rating system. the game was rated E+10. most of the players in the second arc are over the 13 age range from what i saw. as you rarely see a menu chat above CL unless someone had them on their friends list and you see a level 35 menu chat floating around Az.

Target audience is almost totally left out.

From what i am seeing KI goes by results not complaints. people complain about this and that but they are still doing it.

offhand i played Az and found that it should be nerfed in only a few areas like double bosses.

actually with Az i found the cheating bosses actually fun for the first time.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
RottenHeart on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
brwac said:

"How was KI suppose to make the game more difficult for those who thrive on that kind of game play if they didn't start to tip the tables towards the monsters more and make the wizard fight harder to avoid defeat?"

Answer: Side worlds and optional dungeons. They could make side worlds as crazy difficult as possible for those who want crazy tough challenges. Have some unique gear, pets, or badges that only those players can get and show off. Perhaps Azteca should have been introduced as an uber-challenging side world.

They could also make optional fun simpler worlds for young kids that many of us may not enjoy. Candy Land or Waffle Island. Whatever.

The decision to stick with a linear progression path for everybody to follow that gets progressively more difficult is obviously going to be prohibitive to many players. Defintely young kids. Perhaps most players if the trend continues.
Rotten thats the best idea i have heard yet. It would allow the main storyline to stay easy enough for those that need it to be and the easy side worlds for unexperienced or young kids and the hard worlds for the people that want a challenge, Why KI didnt think of this prior to releasing this game eludes me. This is a great idea and i hope someone from KI see's this thread.

I think one issue that might come out of this is some may complete the story line then complain that the hard worlds are to difficult. I can see this happening already in the good old crystal ball, But still it is a great idea and it would keep everyone happy for at least a while.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
lightdragonofW101 on Feb 8, 2013 wrote:
for menu chat they are lucky if they just get shunned now. but that is another topic altogether.

but you have to look at the rating system. the game was rated E+10. most of the players in the second arc are over the 13 age range from what i saw. as you rarely see a menu chat above CL unless someone had them on their friends list and you see a level 35 menu chat floating around Az.

Target audience is almost totally left out.

From what i am seeing KI goes by results not complaints. people complain about this and that but they are still doing it.

offhand i played Az and found that it should be nerfed in only a few areas like double bosses.

actually with Az i found the cheating bosses actually fun for the first time.
The game still is rated "E 10+", and you are right. The Target Audience IS left out. I have seen Menu Chat players in several areas of AZ and they are not Lvl 35. Many of them are infact in the lvl 80s. But that actually means nothing. Some players have actually chosen to use Menu only for other reasons. (also another topic)

Still the main issue is the TARGETED audience. Many of them have left because they don't want or don't have the desire to play a game that is becoming to much like PvP. There are some players that have no desire to play this game for any reason other than PvP but have to PvE to some degree in order to achieve their goal. When this happens, the game has to jump by leaps and bounds in difficulty without regard to those that actually PvE just for fun. Therefore, the targeted audience, "E10+" and their families are the ones that have been left to make do the best they can or leave the game and stop spending money on it.

With the current grind in Az, the actual story line gets lost at various points in the game and in most cases is not picked up again until you get to the next area you manage to open. Fighting as many as 3 to 5 bosses in a row (not from one dungeon), meaning all separate battles or those tedious "Collect" is starting to get very annoying. Have any of you noticed how many bosses are in Mangrove Marsh alone? Think about it. I for one like to progress through the game but, having to go back to one area several times because of this kind of set up is NOT FUN. More and more of the targeted audience will be lost before they get to this point. Players with disabilities will be lost because they will not be able to complete those "MANDATORY" solo quests. 3 vs 1 not fun. Some can figure out the trick to beat them without henchmen but others can not.

This is actually off topic, but since reference has already been made, I will give my opinon.
IMHO, it would have been better to make PvE and PvP separate entities with separate logins for each but not change the sub or crowns pricing for them. In other words, you still sub/crowns the game as it is now but have access to both. In reality, this would also make it easier for KI to fix some of the issues if not all on either side of the game without creating problems in the other. Since PvE and PvP are directly tied to each other in their current state, those fixes are not that easy to do. But as it is, KI would have to rewrite both aspects in order to separate them so that is not going to happen.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
RottenHeart on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
brwac said:

Yes! Kensington Park is such an optional side world, as is Sunken City, and Crab Alley. Wysteria is also a side world, as is Wintertusk and, for the most part, Grizzleheim.

The problem is that there are a couple of places where the learning curve is steep, like Celestia and Azteca, and wizards need to complete those "side" worlds and areas to gain XP, special spells, and crafted items to progress in the main questline. LOL, the best example of this is how desperate wizards are to earn WaterWorks gear, and how we are discovering WW gear to be competitive even at level 90.

Personally, I complete Wysteria with ever wizard, so I can get access to Tower of the Helephant, for fun AND for essential gear drops (athame and ring, mostly). I always do Crab Alley and Kensington Park for the gold, drops, XP and reagents (even thought I hate it!) I always work through Grizzleheim while in Krok, MB, and Mooshu, and I always enter Wintertusk at level 48. These worlds are essential to me for the XP and gold, so I can fund crafting and pet training projects, which are essential to my success in Avalon and Azteca. In a way, these side worlds have become part of the main questline for me, because I rely on their rewards tohelp me BRIDGE to higher level worlds like Celestia and Azteca, which have steep learning curves. Thus, what were "optional" have now become necessary worlds and areas for all of my wizards.

Add all of these "optional" areas and worlds into a single linear progression, and you have a very long path to travel from level 1 to level 90. As a "casual" player, it takes me about 6 months to take a wizard from start to finish. Multiply that by 6 or 7, and it becomes a HUGE time drain. I think time is the biggest factor for casual wizards. Unlike kids or college students, or single adults, most of us family gamers have family and work obligations, and we may see this as a daunting undertaking.

For myself, Azteca is a nice challenge, but I get impatient with the tedium of all this work just so I can get an archmage through Azteca. I don't really have the time to attempt boss fights 5-6 times, but I also don't want to spend the crowns to purchase henchmen, because that feels like cheating to me, and it seems unfair to those wizards who don't have crowns.

Warmest Regards from Alto Alto,

Qbb/Scarlet Ravensong, Archmage Pyromancer