Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I understand a challenge, but this....

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 16, 2009
I know you have all seen these threads, and before I used to think it was all just people who dont enjoy a challenge....

After going into the final saltmeadow swamp dungeon, I am thinking of just giving up.
Going up against 4 myth minions with almost 5,000 health each that chain stun and shield break like crazy makes it insane to win 1v4

It's even worse that your friends can't even port inside!!

How can you get help if almost no one is in the realms of Azteca?

Second of all, chain stunning is starting to get on my nerves.... It seems like they cast medusa, then basilisk, then as soon as your stun has ended, they cast another medusa!

I have been working on Azteca throughout my winter break (which is about 2 weeks) and it feels like I am nowhere! If anyone is having troubles near the same area, let me know and we can at least go in a group.

Thanks!

-Blaze Icecloud, Level 82 Thaumaturge-

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
kingdra36 on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
I know you have all seen these threads, and before I used to think it was all just people who dont enjoy a challenge....

After going into the final saltmeadow swamp dungeon, I am thinking of just giving up.
Going up against 4 myth minions with almost 5,000 health each that chain stun and shield break like crazy makes it insane to win 1v4

Second of all, chain stunning is starting to get on my nerves.... It seems like they cast medusa, then basilisk, then as soon as your stun has ended, they cast another medusa!

I have been working on Azteca throughout my winter break (which is about 2 weeks) and it feels like I am nowhere! If anyone is having troubles near the same area, let me know and we can at least go in a group.

Thanks!

kingdra36, you are not alone. my balance wizard is level 89, and she is struggling, too.

i usually quest with my friend's ice wizard. between us, we can make short work of pretty much anything, but soloing is another story completely. as wizards, we are outclassed, outmanned, and underpowered, compared to enemies who can just hit and hit and hit, chain-stun, and seemingly never run out of pips. i died 29 times trying to get my level 88 spell, and i just couldn't bring myself to continue. so i sucked it up and bought some crowns for a hench-creature, probably exactly what ki wanted.

now that you've admitted to having a hard time in az, expect to be hassled by people on this thread. some of the hardcore/professional gamers, especially, will insult you, tell you that you're not up for the challenge and are unfit to play this or any other mmo because you have no skill or strategy (yes, someone actually told me that). don't listen to them. the fact that you've made it this far obviously disproves any of it.

casual/family players are struggling, ki~
please, listen to your community.

-von

Survivor
Dec 15, 2012

Thanks!

dude words of advice get crowns get henchmen then ATTACK!!!!!!!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

Thanks!

Kingdra, I can't help you with that but I do understand what you are dealing with. It seems that chain stunning is becoming the norm with Myth boss/mobs. I have run into it in Av as well and was about to give up on that when I finally did manage to get a hit in. And that was only 2 minions with less health, but they would hit me every time they could get Medusa. To top the whole thing off, no wizard should have to go up against 4 minions with that kind of health. 2 is plenty for a single wizard to have to face.

If you have not already been to wizard101central.com, You might want to check that site. There are players there that have formed groups to help others with difficult instances.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Dr Von on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
kingdra36, you are not alone. my balance wizard is level 89, and she is struggling, too.

i usually quest with my friend's ice wizard. between us, we can make short work of pretty much anything, but soloing is another story completely. as wizards, we are outclassed, outmanned, and underpowered, compared to enemies who can just hit and hit and hit, chain-stun, and seemingly never run out of pips. i died 29 times trying to get my level 88 spell, and i just couldn't bring myself to continue. so i sucked it up and bought some crowns for a hench-creature, probably exactly what ki wanted.

now that you've admitted to having a hard time in az, expect to be hassled by people on this thread. some of the hardcore/professional gamers, especially, will insult you, tell you that you're not up for the challenge and are unfit to play this or any other mmo because you have no skill or strategy (yes, someone actually told me that). don't listen to them. the fact that you've made it this far obviously disproves any of it.

casual/family players are struggling, ki~
please, listen to your community.

-von
Von / KI: they are not just struggling. They are leaving.

Survivor
Jan 22, 2011
The worst part is that our gear is made invalid! All the stats that we amass, high critical, high resist, etc.--it all seems to be for naught because there is not a single boss without huge block and unattainable pierce to get through our resist. The go critical on every other spell and I can't help but feel terrible for my storm friends because they die nearly every solo battle with a single critical hit from the boss because-oh ya- they start with max pips every game! Battling has become far too complicated and difficult and the gear stats for this world are laughable compared to the challenges we're up against.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Well I teamed up with another ice wizard and finally got through this dungeon and even if I won against the myth minions, I definitely couldn't go up against the other 2 bosses.

As far as henchmen go, I can't get crowns. It seems unfair to have to use crowns on top of a subscription.

Hopefully, like DS they'll nerf Azteca. Until then, my sub is gonna end in about 2 weeks, then no more play for me till summer break. I was hoping to at least get half way through AZ.... Oh well

-Blaze Icecloud, Level 83 Thaumaturge-

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
AluraMist2 on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
Von / KI: they are not just struggling. They are leaving.
i know~ i'm one such player, who would have already hung up all of her wizarding hats, if not for the good friends i've made during my time here.

my archmage necromancer is next in line, but i don't think i'm going to know if i'll ever take another wizard through azteca. it's degrading.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
robotwizard555 on Jan 6, 2013 wrote:
dude words of advice get crowns get henchmen then ATTACK!!!!!!!
That certainly isn't the answer. Many can not afford to buy crowns on top of their subscription(s). NO ONE should HAVE to purchase henchmen to get through a mob, a boss, or a dungeon.

@Kingdra36: As an Ice myself (the one Von is talking about), the best advice I can give is to start relying more on traps than blades when it comes to Myth (and any school that steals or shatters blades). Pack a couple extra hits in your deck against Myth mobs. Frost Giant and Blizzard are your best friends. Plus, Stun Block and Conviction TC are more necessary than ever and put a few in so they come up faster.

The same goes for bosses. Put extra stun blocks in and try to surround yourself with 2 stun blocks (which equal 4 stun shields). Once you have those in place (I know, not always easy to do), rely on traps first if you can, then blade last.

For mobs, I rely heavily on Frost Giant and Blizzard. For bosses, I rely on Frost Giant and Ice Colossus (pre-Lord of Winter).

Hope this helps! :)

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Thanks QueQueg, that is usually my strategy, but i never really thought so much about conviction or blizzard. I will try it out some time.

I do usually trap up myth enemies, but its much different when you are against 4 myth bugs.

By the way, for boss fights, you said you used colossus, not mammoth? Any reason behind that?

Also, I just noticed this, but sometimes I feel like bosses are using mutate level 42 spells more than there actual level 42 spell (ie; storm using storm colossus and storm helephant, but not stormzilla)

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
kingdra36 on Jan 9, 2013 wrote:
Thanks QueQueg, that is usually my strategy, but i never really thought so much about conviction or blizzard. I will try it out some time.

I do usually trap up myth enemies, but its much different when you are against 4 myth bugs.

By the way, for boss fights, you said you used colossus, not mammoth? Any reason behind that?

Also, I just noticed this, but sometimes I feel like bosses are using mutate level 42 spells more than there actual level 42 spell (ie; storm using storm colossus and storm helephant, but not stormzilla)
Blizzard is great for smaller hits that can knock an enemy health down a bit, plus if an enemy has ice shields or tower shields, you're not wasting a bunch of pips or taking a bunch of turns to use a wand attack to get rid of them. When you're up against Myth mobs, Blizzard is great (enhanced with Colossal) because you can build up your pips and hit several times in a row.

For boss fights (pre Lord of Winter), yes, I use Ice Colossus instead of Mammoth. The main reason is you use a lot less pips and can hit with Ice Colossus more often than Mammoth. If you trap and blade, Ice Colossus (with Colossal enhancement) can easily hit for 20,000+. Vonawesome will attest to that! :)

Once you get Lord of Winter, you will be amazed at the power it holds. I love it! Yeah, it takes 10 pips, but you don't have to trap or blade as much, and will decimate an Azteca boss in one hit. As a matter-of-fact, I got my "One in a million" badge last night using it!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
kingdra36 on Jan 9, 2013 wrote:

Que, has one powerful Ice wiz. She has helped me a few times with a difficult quest and I was certainly very glad she did. She and Von are both further in the game than I am, but I am fortunate to have such great friends. THANK YOU!!

What She is saying in regards to using Colossus is to use the enhancement "Colossal" on Colossus for a good heavy hit. Colossus uses few pips than Mammonth and you can do quite a bit of damage ( more times than not, you will defeat that boss) while being conservative with your pips.

No, I am not Ice, I am life, but I use this same tactic. I have used Centaur many times in this same way. For the really tough ones, I do use Gnome, but prefer to not use all my pips. (incase I need to heal)

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010

Thanks!

I know its not the answer you want to hear but increase your stun resist and it will help drastically. Medusa gets old real quick.
Another thing is to max your health so that you can last through the rounds that you do get stunned.
If you dont mind me asking what is your stun resist and health?

As i said not the answers you or the nerf group wants to hear but if you adjust these it will help you.

Take care and safe journeys.

Survivor
May 16, 2009
Lol, I have either 0 or 2% stun resist, and health is almost 5000. Stun resist gear would come useful, but I'm afraid I will have to sacrifice some of my attack power. I use my waterworks gear still (trying to get past zf crafting quest). I have some training points to spare, so I might train conviction, add a couple of stun shields to my deck, etc. I'll try buffing up colossus and see what happens.

Also, congrats on your one in a million, QueQueg!

On a side note, the quest seems so long, and I am only level 83. Is there a faster way to level up? I cant wait for lord of the winter!

Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
I know its not the answer you want to hear but increase your stun resist and it will help drastically. Medusa gets old real quick.
Another thing is to max your health so that you can last through the rounds that you do get stunned.

As i said not the answers you or the nerf group wants to hear but if you adjust these it will help you.

i wouldnt recomend stun resist gear because if you get that your gonna have horrible stats in a lot of other areas. i would however recomend(if anything at all) the astral spell that trainable from deigo, the one that gives you plus 90 stun resist and block.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
gweedoboy on Jan 13, 2013 wrote:
i wouldnt recomend stun resist gear because if you get that your gonna have horrible stats in a lot of other areas. i would however recomend(if anything at all) the astral spell that trainable from deigo, the one that gives you plus 90 stun resist and block.
Much better tip. Gweedoboy is right.

Unless you find gear that wont hinder the stats you need.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
kingdra36 on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:
Lol, I have either 0 or 2% stun resist, and health is almost 5000. Stun resist gear would come useful, but I'm afraid I will have to sacrifice some of my attack power. I use my waterworks gear still (trying to get past zf crafting quest). I have some training points to spare, so I might train conviction, add a couple of stun shields to my deck, etc. I'll try buffing up colossus and see what happens.

Also, congrats on your one in a million, QueQueg!

On a side note, the quest seems so long, and I am only level 83. Is there a faster way to level up? I cant wait for lord of the winter!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to level up your wizard faster. It always seems long when you're looking forward to something (like the L88 spell). Take your time. Be sure to get your Astral spell quests done to get Sharpened Blade, Potent Trap, and the damage boost aura.

Keep working on your ZF crafting. It's good to have one wizard that can craft for all your wizards. Believe me, I know that one is a pain, but it will be worth it, as the Avalon crafted gear for Ice will made a difference for you! The Azteca gear for Ice will give you a little more health, but you do end up losing stats in the long run, so I haven't crafted that.

I do keep several sets of gear in my backpack, and switch them up to give me certain stats I need for certain mobs/bosses. This includes clothing, wands, athames, rings, amulets, and even pets. Some of the gear is crafted, and some are drops.

The most important thing is to find the right balance of stats YOU want. I wanted a decent offense as well as defense. I sacrificed a little of this to get more of that. But, with the different gear that I can switch with, I can boost defense (and lower offense), or boost offense (and lower defense) if I need to.

If you need any help with what would be good crafted gear, let me know, and I'll be glad to help!

Brynn IceBlade L90 Thaumaturge
"Tank Girl"

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
If you cannot train conviction, you could try to farm for the Knight of the Wyrd's Pendant:

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Item:Knight_of_the_Wyrd%27s_Pendant

It has a conviction card as well as an iceblade.

Good luck!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Jan 13, 2013 wrote:
Thanks!

Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to level up your wizard faster. It always seems long when you're looking forward to something (like the L88 spell). Take your time. Be sure to get your Astral spell quests done to get Sharpened Blade, Potent Trap, and the damage boost aura.

Keep working on your ZF crafting. It's good to have one wizard that can craft for all your wizards. Believe me, I know that one is a pain, but it will be worth it, as the Avalon crafted gear for Ice will made a difference for you! The Azteca gear for Ice will give you a little more health, but you do end up losing stats in the long run, so I haven't crafted that.

I do keep several sets of gear in my backpack, and switch them up to give me certain stats I need for certain mobs/bosses. This includes clothing, wands, athames, rings, amulets, and even pets. Some of the gear is crafted, and some are drops.

The most important thing is to find the right balance of stats YOU want. I wanted a decent offense as well as defense. I sacrificed a little of this to get more of that. But, with the different gear that I can switch with, I can boost defense (and lower offense), or boost offense (and lower defense) if I need to.

If you need any help with what would be good crafted gear, let me know, and I'll be glad to help!

Brynn IceBlade L90 Thaumaturge
"Tank Girl"

You can level a wizard quicker by purchasing an experience potion in the Crowns shop, but there is no way to advance your character through the storyline quicker. You have to complete all required quests.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 12, 2013 wrote:

Now we are not casual gamers we are the "Nerf Group"

Explorer
May 02, 2011
Me I have to fight the things before the pyramid

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Northlite on Jan 19, 2013 wrote:
Now we are not casual gamers we are the "Nerf Group"
Well im a casual gamer so what group do you fit in then. You would like a nerf in azteca correct. The name represents your thoughts its not for poking fun.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 19, 2013 wrote:
Well im a casual gamer so what group do you fit in then. You would like a nerf in azteca correct. The name represents your thoughts its not for poking fun.
Nerfing and balancing the game is 2 entirely different things. What is it you don't understand about this? If you have played all the way through Az, then surely you can see that there is a lot of imbalance.

This starts post CL and gets worse with each new world. Have you not seen the posts in other topics about those worlds becoming Ghost Worlds? You may want to go and take a look at some of them. I have and they are empty for the most part. I was in all of them when they were busy and full of players, this is no longer the case.

As for the mandatory "solo" spell quests, 3vs1, my wizards will not be doing them. A challenge is one thing, but total frustration, stress and headaches are not worth this. And please don't tell me to hire henchmen, that is not going to happen.

"As i said not the answers you or the nerf group wants to hear but if you adjust these it will help you."

That comment was totally uncalled for. Please refrain from making comments that can and do come across as rude or belittling.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
lastdaysgunslinger on Jan 19, 2013 wrote:
I believe we are concerned with game balance. The game is seriously unbalanced and many of us recognize it. I would rather a balanced game than a nerfed game. In a balanced game the majority of the players can complete it. Worlds are full of players and healthy. By this time you would see lots of maxed out players. None of that is true for AZ. I see very few level 90 players.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Megan Frostriver on Jan 23, 2013 wrote:
I believe we are concerned with game balance. The game is seriously unbalanced and many of us recognize it. I would rather a balanced game than a nerfed game. In a balanced game the majority of the players can complete it. Worlds are full of players and healthy. By this time you would see lots of maxed out players. None of that is true for AZ. I see very few level 90 players.
I only wish there is a way to balance it. Thats where no one agrees though. I mean seriously how do we balance it, Does anyone have suggestions. Dont just say make the game easier actually give some ideas and input.