Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Beguile stole my smile

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
I have a question on beguile, a spell I will admit I rarely ever have used. I was trying to complete a zafaria quest against myth mobs and had lost my blades to earthquake several times. In a last ditch effort to get my spell to fire with blades still on, I beguiled the lone mob with enough pips to cast earthquake. I had trapped all mobs, but none had been hit yet. When the beguiled mob's next turn came, his window showed humongofrog, which he then cast. Instead of hitting his partners with humongo as I expected, the beguiled mob still turned the spell on us and struck our wizards. When beguile is in play, do beguiled creature AoE's normally still hit the wizards, did this happen because of the traps already in place, or is beguile having a malfunction? I'm befuddled. If anyone can help me understand what happened, I'll be-grateful.

Survivor
Jan 18, 2011
When beguile's card desciptions says 'target helps you for one round it means you know what spell the enemy is going cast.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
I played around with beguile in PvE and found the benifits to be very unpredictable and confusing. As a three pip card (or two gold pips) I found it to be not nearly as useful as other spells in my deck. Once I tried using it several rounds on a big tough boss with minions and it just wasted all my pips. Threads indicate it is handy spell for PvP though.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
After hours of battling the Restless Soldier and Undead Wizard in the Necropolis I finally figured this out. I found it quite confusing, especially case1 because you would expect the beguile to take effect immediately, not the next round.

Case1: You Cast First Each Round
- on the same round that you cast, beguile has no effect. The enemy may attack you. Absolutely for sure.
- on the next round the beguiled enemy shows what they are going to cast. You can not cast an offensive spell on the beguiled enemy (attack, trap, or feint). The enemy gets to cast first. (spell casting order changes!) If the beguiled performs an attack it will be on an enemy.

Case2: Enemy Casts First Each Round:
- On the next two rounds the beguiled enemy shows what they are going to cast. You can not cast an offensive spell on the beguiled enemy. The beguiled enemy casts last (spell casting order changes!) If the beguiled performs an attack it will be on an enemy.

Beguile is quite useless in PvE. The chances of casting it such that it 'redirects' an enemy attack is a gamble, and the fact that you can't perform any offensive spell casts on a beguiled enemy makes it fantastic shield for the enemy.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks RH. You aren't kidding about this spell being confusing. Your post should be stickied on a death wizard FAQ forum somewhere, as I am sure I am not the only one to have run into this. I was going first (case 1) and everything played out as expected until the end when we were all breathing a sigh of relief it was humongo and not earthquake again, then saying 'what just happened'? lol. I had no idea a trap would effect the spell. Giving a necromancer a spell that doesn't allow traps is just so...so..undeathified. I guess it's back to the drawing board on my arch nemesis, the zafaria myth mobs. I'm really looking forward to getting out of their area to a place with hopefully less tectonic activity.