Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

azteca, fun or work?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Sep 30, 2009
theres a lot of talk going on about azteca and how its really hard and not so fun to do, others however think that azteca is the hard core challenge EVERYONE should enjoy(again this could just be because of lame gear). this game was never made to be another hard core call of duty game(if you cant wrape your head around that then idk what to say), it was made to be a family game. i respect all you hard core players out there and i want a challenge to but when normal mob fights get the avarage player killed 3 times over(yes little kids play this to), its gone to far. btw blade stacking isint as simple as it sounds, first you gotta get a blade and the enchantment AND get another of the same blade as well. not to mention that while your doing all of this the mobs are useing our rank 10 spells on us. again i dont want an easy breezy world either but the difficulty of azteca is set for the hard core players, it just becoms work. very little did i enjoy most fights in azteca.

Survivor
Mar 11, 2011
Survivor
May 07, 2011
I did enjoy the challenge level. I have made it to the last dungeon and I think it's safe to say it felt like a true struggle. It's a fine line between being too easy and too hard and I think they succeeded in making it challenging enough but not merely frustrating.

Count me as a vote for fun.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
gweedoboy on Nov 23, 2012 wrote:
theres a lot of talk going on about azteca and how its really hard and not so fun to do, others however think that azteca is the hard core challenge EVERYONE should enjoy(again this could just be because of lame gear). this game was never made to be another hard core call of duty game(if you cant wrape your head around that then idk what to say), it was made to be a family game. i respect all you hard core players out there and i want a challenge to but when normal mob fights get the avarage player killed 3 times over(yes little kids play this to), its gone to far. btw blade stacking isint as simple as it sounds, first you gotta get a blade and the enchantment AND get another of the same blade as well. not to mention that while your doing all of this the mobs are useing our rank 10 spells on us. again i dont want an easy breezy world either but the difficulty of azteca is set for the hard core players, it just becoms work. very little did i enjoy most fights in azteca.
I agree. I helped a friend though Avalon because they really wanted to complete it but I have drawn the line at Azteca and informed them I will not be fighting there. I suggested they get in on it now while others are interested because once this dies down help will be few and far between like it became in Avalon.

With a set amount of time per night to play as the difficulty raises so does the time it takes to complete quests making these worlds last forever if you didn't want to be in them in the first place.

Explorer
Feb 12, 2011
Overall I have considered this a lot of fun, a lot of work as well - but I have enjoyed the challenge for the most part.
I do think they could have dialed back the mobs a bit, and I have friends that will probably not even bother with this world since it is just "too much" for them. It is my opinion that this world will really only please a more dedicated player who has the time and patience to slog through everything. I think that the average family playing with children will find this world quite frustrating. And for that I am disappointed.

I am grateful beyond words to have a questing partner for the entire world - and this is coming from someone who has soloed pretty much everything, including Young Morganthe, and the final dragons in AV. I can't imagine trying to solo this.

Resist is also a major factor in this world. If you don't have it, you can't last long enough against the crazy damage that the mobs are doing. I had storm mobs use Levy followed by Sirens in the first round when I was going second...

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
After a week of trying to defeat Eke Chuah and still not able to, I find it extremely frustrating and infuriating. Plus I still have Tilizoc Stone Cloud, another solo, for my next life spell, and tried for a week to do that one, again unable to defeat the boss. Why make it so hard for life to solo? I am seriously considering giving up if this is any indication of whats to come.

Explorer
Feb 22, 2011
Kven on Nov 28, 2012 wrote:
After a week of trying to defeat Eke Chuah and still not able to, I find it extremely frustrating and infuriating. Plus I still have Tilizoc Stone Cloud, another solo, for my next life spell, and tried for a week to do that one, again unable to defeat the boss. Why make it so hard for life to solo? I am seriously considering giving up if this is any indication of whats to come.
Hi! For the life solo, you might want to check out one of the fansites for some recommendations. Good luck!

http://wizard.mercenaries101.com/spinysaur-life-quest/

Survivor
Apr 05, 2012
Work!
Work without a paycheck. All games I have ever played gave you a carrot on a stick, so to speak, A reason to work hard and put my precious time in. This game however, starting in Celestia and through Avalon gives nothing gear wise. After I finished Avalon I felt cheated. I put in my hard work and time and got nothing in return. I did craft my Avalon gear but that was like a whole other job that I did get a small pay out of gear that was only a tiny bit better than level 60 Waterworks gear.
The amount of time it takes to fight one boss and the frustration involved, knowing that I will get nothing of use to me, takes all the fun out of the game. It's like going to work and never getting a paycheck.

Sadly I won't be finishing Azteca. I will just let my subscription run out because the game is just not fun to me anymore. I am sorry that I had hope for Azteca.
Kingsisle got their paycheck and in return I get frustration.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
esperr on Dec 2, 2012 wrote:
Work!
Work without a paycheck. All games I have ever played gave you a carrot on a stick, so to speak, A reason to work hard and put my precious time in. This game however, starting in Celestia and through Avalon gives nothing gear wise. After I finished Avalon I felt cheated. I put in my hard work and time and got nothing in return. I did craft my Avalon gear but that was like a whole other job that I did get a small pay out of gear that was only a tiny bit better than level 60 Waterworks gear.
The amount of time it takes to fight one boss and the frustration involved, knowing that I will get nothing of use to me, takes all the fun out of the game. It's like going to work and never getting a paycheck.

Sadly I won't be finishing Azteca. I will just let my subscription run out because the game is just not fun to me anymore. I am sorry that I had hope for Azteca.
Kingsisle got their paycheck and in return I get frustration.
Thank you for helping me pin point what I have been trying to figure out why I have been so dissatisfied with the game. I think you nailed it.

No incentive to bother is a perfect sum up.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Tedious. Hardcore. Monotonous.

Monsters that start off with full power pips and can cast level 10 spells right away, while you struggle to keep the pips you have. Stuns, mana burn, shattered blades & shields - back to back. And this is just from the mobs!

Dungeon after dungeon after dungeon.

I've done pretty well on my Ice until I hit Twin Giants. I have several pieces of gear I switch up when I need to, but it's not enough. I still fall back on my AV crafted gear, as it gives me the best balance between offense and defense. The drops in the game for Ice are pathetic, and no amount of gear switching will correct the severe imbalance of stats you need.

I like to keep as small a deck as possible, for mobs and for bosses. I'm finding I need to add so much more, including the new Trap and Blade enhancements just so I can buff enough to make a decent hit. My stats for health range from 5709 to 6202 (depending on gear), but I have to make serious sacrifices in other areas, including damage, block, and accuracy, which are essential in getting you through the game.

I haven't died yet in any battle, but have come very very close. I'm a tank with good resist, and I'm getting my fanny handed to me on a platter by the mobs (especially in Twin Giants). I can't fine tune something I don't have, and that's decent gear to get me through the game.

I'm not trying to play the game like it's PvP, but that's what it's become and I hate PvP. A test of will. A battle of might. There are many ways to make the game more challenging and still keep it fun and fresh. This has become brutal, and I see many people not starting it, not completing it, or quitting all together.

I feel for those that don't/can't craft gear, but then again, some of the crafted gear (at any level) isn't always good for all classes of wizards. My level 82 Balance still wears WW gear, because ALL other gear, whether it be drops or crafted, don't provide a good balance of stats that the WW gear provides for her.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Sorry, ran out of word space ...

This game is suppose to be for everyone, not hardcore gamers. But, it looks like the hardcore gamers won when they begged for more of a challenge. It's too much of a challenge for the AVERAGE player, especially for young kids. Not everyone has the time to sit at the computer for the time it takes to defeat a mob, let alone a boss dungeon.

Teaming up with other players is definitely beneficial, and makes the quest completions go much faster and easier. However, if you have people you're with that don't play very well, and rely on other people to get them through, it's not worth the effort to carry anyone, as you're having a hard enough time working on defense and offense for yourself.

It would have been so much better to have more interactive things to do in Azteca, instead of battle after battle, dungeon after dungeon. It would break up the tedium of fighting all the time, and would allow more people to enjoy the storyline and scenery.

I'm certainly not a hardcore player. I do plan on finishing Azteca solo, for the accomplishment, and it's a good test to see how myself and others can do on their own, plus I can give a bit of in-game advice when needed (and help others with battles).

The game? Fun to look at, but too much work to do.

Survivor
May 01, 2011
I finished azteca and I have to agree that its on the hard side. No one wants the game to be easy, but neither do they want it to be frustrating and stressful. I enjoyed a lot of azetca, but I also felt for some younger children who were all upset and crying cause they couldn't get past parts of it. I think he needs some work done in that world. Some don't play as hard core as others, nor have the money for crowns and gear as others. It does seem slightly unfair to some. All I could do was encourage them to keep trying and help when I can. Because some get upset and frustrated and want to leave doesn't make them quitters, just means its to tough for them to continue on and stressing themselves out over something that was surpose to be a family fun game.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
I have not quite made it to Azteca yet, but I have friends that have and are very good at it. If they are saying it has gone too far in difficulty then I am going to believe them. I have looked at the guides and all I see are nothing but dungeons with boss health 3 to 5 times our health, usually starting at 7PP compared to our 2PP. SERIOUSLY?????

I know that many of my friends would help me with it, but I am reluctant to ask them to go through this again. I come to this game to have fun and relax, not to add a third job to my life.

As some have already stated, this game is supposed to be for everyone (E10+). That is how it is advertised but has gone far beyond that. It has become more HARDCORE and to the point that even teams are having problems with it. This is not fun, nor MAGIC.

The game and the gear has become seriously unbalanced.

I will continue with Avalon, but as for Azteca? At this rate doubtful and won't continue paying subs (2) for something I can't play.

My vote here is WORK.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Well if you think about it, The worlds have been getting harder and harder as they come out witch is fine by me.
Am not sure why people are having such a hard time. I made it and finished up last night. No i did not solo it them days are over. less your a ice with high rest. The game was made for team play. I think the goal of group leveling is done well in this world. I have to say Well done KI :) You made the game fun again. So with that said.
I have to say Azteca FUN!

P.S The story line is great :)

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
It was hard work but i have my fun now knowing i did it. The world is very frustrating but so was Cel,Zaf,Ava for me. Now that i think about it the whole second arc was frustrating lol.
Im still having fun with it though. What i cant stand anymore is pet leveling AAARRRRGGGGHHHH