Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

hydra spell shield

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 02, 2011
Hi! i'm a grandmaster thaumaturge currently in celestia battling piscean troopers for the tiles and i have noticed something that doesn't make since... so the troopers use the hydra spell and they have a balance blade so all 3 heads got boosted yay.... so to defend against this i used my tower shield thinking hey balance blade did all three my shield should too since neither say a particular school is affected....NO only the first head was weakened by my tower shield the others still did the full amount.... I"M not complaining or whining im just curious as to why the generic blade helps all but the shield doesn't protect from all .
THANKS

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Well i would have to say that the blade targets the spell in whole as the shield targets the hit and there are 3 hits from hydra . Shield takes first.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Flint Sandbrand on Nov 4, 2012 wrote:
Hi! i'm a grandmaster thaumaturge currently in celestia battling piscean troopers for the tiles and i have noticed something that doesn't make since... so the troopers use the hydra spell and they have a balance blade so all 3 heads got boosted yay.... so to defend against this i used my tower shield thinking hey balance blade did all three my shield should too since neither say a particular school is affected....NO only the first head was weakened by my tower shield the others still did the full amount.... I"M not complaining or whining im just curious as to why the generic blade helps all but the shield doesn't protect from all .
THANKS
Well, I am an archmage Balance wizard~ perhaps I can explain:

Blades boost the next outgoingdamage spell by whatever percentage is indicated on the card. Shields block the next incoming hit, not the spell itself~ slight difference.Since you're an Ice wizard, maybe you'll understand an example you can relate to.

Think of your Frostbite spell, which does X damage on the initial impact and Y damage for 3 rounds after. If I had a Tower Shield up, it would only take the first hit~ unless I was wearing multiple shields, the other 3 hits would be at full strength. If you had an Iceblade up, all 3 rounds AND the initial hit would be boosted. The same is also true for debuff charms, like Weakness~ if you put one on me, all 3 hits would decrease by 25%, and the same would be true if I put one on you.

Hydra and Chimera (Balance's multi-hit spells) work in much the same way a DoT does. And, since we are the only school without a DoT spell, I suppose it's only fair.

Hope this helped, kinda.

-veebz/Shadowsong/Deathwhisper
archmage sorceress & necromancer.