Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why can't we type capital letters in text chat?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 11, 2016
Hello! Something that has always bugged me is that you cannot type capital letters in text chat. Why is that? I understand that you don't want players typing in all capital letters, but it's really hard on my OCD when you are just trying to type something with proper capitalization, and it always turns out all lowercase.

Perhaps there could be a way to allow players to use capital letters properly, but still prevent people from typing in all caps? Maybe if somebody does try to type in all caps, it could come out as all lowercase?

Thank-you so much for your time and consideration!

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
I think they may have banned the usage, and correct me if I'm wrong, as a way of possibly getting around certain barriers that KingsIsle set up.

Once you get Open Chat, you will be able to see any caps from both Open players, and Text Chat ones. So if you are ever talking to an Open chatter, they can see all of your capitalization.

Best of luck!
S.S.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I miss the capital letters... It's instilling a bad sense of grammar in the youth. I understand why it was changed though. Also I'm glad that I can see Capital letters though!

Survivor
Jun 11, 2016
Shannon Skybreaker on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
I think they may have banned the usage, and correct me if I'm wrong, as a way of possibly getting around certain barriers that KingsIsle set up.

Once you get Open Chat, you will be able to see any caps from both Open players, and Text Chat ones. So if you are ever talking to an Open chatter, they can see all of your capitalization.

Best of luck!
S.S.
Hello! Thank-you for the reply!

Ya, I understand why they would do that now. People could use capital letters to dodge the filters! I've seen it in other family-friendly MMORPGs I have played before, and it's really sad.

Unfortunately, I still have quite a bit to go until I am old enough to use Open Chat, but I guess it's not that big of a deal...

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Shannon Skybreaker on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:

Best of luck!
S.S.
How can something as small as capitalization help people get around filters?

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
Fable Finder on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
How can something as small as capitalization help people get around filters?
Quite easily.

Many years back, you were capable of typing in capital letters into the text chat, and seeing them when they appeared on screen. But a lot of people used this to their advantage, being able to talk/curse around filters by capitalizing a few letters here and there.

Best of luck!
S.S.