Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fire Wizard Guide

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
So I just began my new fire wizard, and I am curious for some strategy's surrounding the fire school. After looking at the spell list, potential pets, and even gear I am hoping for some tips to becoming a great fire wizard. One of my first question came after looking at the spell list. I noticed the fire school is a god at D.O.T., and my question was how does this actually benefit you. I have a storm wizard and all his attacks are just one turn, no waiting, and they do similar amounts of damage at the end. With that being said I am hoping for some good feedback on strategies, tips, ect. on the fire school!

Justin GoldenStone, lv70
Jacob FireHeart, lv29

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
JoshStormWiz on May 22, 2016 wrote:
So I just began my new fire wizard, and I am curious for some strategy's surrounding the fire school. After looking at the spell list, potential pets, and even gear I am hoping for some tips to becoming a great fire wizard. One of my first question came after looking at the spell list. I noticed the fire school is a god at D.O.T., and my question was how does this actually benefit you. I have a storm wizard and all his attacks are just one turn, no waiting, and they do similar amounts of damage at the end. With that being said I am hoping for some good feedback on strategies, tips, ect. on the fire school!

Justin GoldenStone, lv70
Jacob FireHeart, lv29
Dot doesn't help in PVE, it's lame but in pvp, it's pretty nice for breaking shields and burning rampage is amazing.

Lvl 110
Lvl 104
Lvl 27

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Adam Wintersinger on May 23, 2016 wrote:
Dot doesn't help in PVE, it's lame but in pvp, it's pretty nice for breaking shields and burning rampage is amazing.

Lvl 110
Lvl 104
Lvl 27
What do you mean, DOT doesn't help in pve. Yes it does. My fire casts link and power link constantly - it keeps him alive and eats the enemy. Low level dots like fire elf keep the other side from using tower shields and high level dots get rid of the other side very rapidly.

I have a hard time believing you have the level characters your signature says you do.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
JoshStormWiz on May 22, 2016 wrote:

Justin GoldenStone, lv70
Jacob FireHeart, lv29
Don't listen to one of the posters here - the advice given is not always in the best interest of the PvE player.

DOT for Fire is great for general game play, unless you are going against a Fire boss, then you want to use single hits (after putting on converts/prisms).

DOTs can allow you to heal between rounds, or build up another hit (like Meteor), shield, trap, or blade. It has it's benefits, but it's all about what your game style is. Test out each of the spells to find out which ones you like the best, or which ones work out the best in a given situation.

Not everyone has the same game play when it comes to the different schools.

Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
Wow thanks for all the great feedback! As I continue my fire wizard I'm hoping a lot of his will be useful, for battles ect. Also in case you didn't know, I am actually questing thought out the entire game with my friend who is a life wizard. I don't know if this might skew some data or tips, but either way I appreciate the support!

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
crystalwizard12345... on May 23, 2016 wrote:
What do you mean, DOT doesn't help in pve. Yes it does. My fire casts link and power link constantly - it keeps him alive and eats the enemy. Low level dots like fire elf keep the other side from using tower shields and high level dots get rid of the other side very rapidly.

I have a hard time believing you have the level characters your signature says you do.
I'm sry but I don't like wasting blades on link and why would I need it anyway? The heal and the damage are weak and it would just be much faster to blade up and cast dragon. As for breaking shields, shatter exists.

It's fine that you don't believe I have 4 max wizards, I have no way of proving it, I could link a w101 central post with my wizards but that can easily be made up so there is no way to prove it and also, what benefit would it bring me lying about having 4 max wizards? Certainly doesn't make me seem anymore powerful, three are many others that have more max lvls.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
JoshStormWiz on May 23, 2016 wrote:
Wow thanks for all the great feedback! As I continue my fire wizard I'm hoping a lot of his will be useful, for battles ect. Also in case you didn't know, I am actually questing thought out the entire game with my friend who is a life wizard. I don't know if this might skew some data or tips, but either way I appreciate the support!
Good luck! You'll love raging bull

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on May 24, 2016 wrote:
I'm sry but I don't like wasting blades on link and why would I need it anyway? The heal and the damage are weak and it would just be much faster to blade up and cast dragon. As for breaking shields, shatter exists.

It's fine that you don't believe I have 4 max wizards, I have no way of proving it, I could link a w101 central post with my wizards but that can easily be made up so there is no way to prove it and also, what benefit would it bring me lying about having 4 max wizards? Certainly doesn't make me seem anymore powerful, three are many others that have more max lvls.
DOT spells for Fire are Great to have; you don't need to 'blade up' a Link; it's great for breaking shields while you build pips and blades for a kill shot so what is the use of wasting pips on Shatter in PVE?

My max Fire Char did the game solo and at a lower level when your health isn't so high the Links really helped.

Also it comes in very handy against Belloq

Fire is an Awesome school, You will love it!

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011

It's because of the way you've been answering questions. It's not only what you are saying, but how you are saying it. You are condescending to many on the board, especially lately. You have your opinion, others have theirs. The answers you gave in regards to Fire, does make one take notice whether you have a max Fire wizard or even play a Fire wizard.

Everyone has their own style of playing a particular school. Telling someone DOTs do not help in PvE is not good advice, especially since that is Fire's strong point.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
crystalwizard12345... on May 23, 2016 wrote:

I agree, and I'm glad you are standing up for Fire wizards, everywhere!!!!

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on May 24, 2016 wrote:
It's because of the way you've been answering questions. It's not only what you are saying, but how you are saying it. You are condescending to many on the board, especially lately. You have your opinion, others have theirs. The answers you gave in regards to Fire, does make one take notice whether you have a max Fire wizard or even play a Fire wizard.

Everyone has their own style of playing a particular school. Telling someone DOTs do not help in PvE is not good advice, especially since that is Fire's strong point.
Sorry that it seems that way but I have never seen a fire use DOT's when fighting (besides dragon) and I never had the need to either, I thought you could get by just fine without DOT's such as my fire but it depends on your play style and I was just recommending mine. After all, some people find DOT's less effective and a waste of feints and some people find them useful

Survivor
Jan 13, 2015
Adam Wintersinger on May 25, 2016 wrote:
Sorry that it seems that way but I have never seen a fire use DOT's when fighting (besides dragon) and I never had the need to either, I thought you could get by just fine without DOT's such as my fire but it depends on your play style and I was just recommending mine. After all, some people find DOT's less effective and a waste of feints and some people find them useful
If you've never seen fire use DOTs, you haven't really been playing the game - either PVE or PVP. After reading the answers you've been giving to a lot of the messages on this forum, I'm wondering if your highest level character is between level 2 and 5, and all you've ever done is pvp.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010

1. When you're lower level, and link is what you have, using a blade on it isn't wasting the blade.

2. When you're solo, link and power link prevent you from having to use pips and turns to cast pixie or other heals, keeping you alive while you remove the enemies

3. Fire doesn't get shatter, myth does. For fire to use shatter, it's a treasure card and a mastery amulet (unless you want to use power pips as 1 instead of 2) - and it does no damage, plus takes pips and uses turns. Meanwhile, the DOTs that fire get not only remove the shields, they do damge at the same time without taking time out to use pips and turns on some non-damaging, non-fire spell plus they don't require a mastery amulet.

4. No, I don't believe you have any max level wizards. I'll be happy to meet you on the game, and you can prove you do, but that won't change my opinion of how you got them. The answers you post don't match up with someone who has actually played the game for very long, certainly not long enough to have a max level fire. They sound much more like someone who has an older brother or sister who plays the character for them, and who posts without really knowing what he's talking about.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Adam Wintersinger on May 25, 2016 wrote:
Fuel with Dragon or Rain; Fire from Above with triple traps to set up a DOT hit; I question your experience with Fire.

Don't mean to be rude, but I have to agree with others here that your posts are somewhat Dubious.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Fire Dragon is a Pyromancer's wheelhouse of an AoE DoT. MANY people use Dragon as soon as they get it, because it really is a killer in PvE (I cant speak for its effectiveness in PvP as I dont do it). Everybody has their own play style, and that's fine, but DoTs are the main aspect of fire school. I dont think I have ever NOT seen a Pyro using DoTs. YMMV of course

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Ok I'll have to be honest, I thought DOT's were useless because I never soloed as fire, I mentioned this in another post somewhere but I only soloed up to Avalon and then duoed Azteca with my brother's max lvl balance meaning I rarely used DOT because of that, I thought DOT's were useless since I've never had the need to use them while questing.

As for the validity of my max lvls, they are all true but the reason my posts seem inexperienced is because I have never soloed the entire game on any wizard, it gets difficult after Azteca if you don't have a life mastery and as so, I have to duet beyond that point. The reason why most of my poss are pvp related also are because I started pvping a few months ago and noticed how many things are broken about it.

Of course, you don't have to take my word for it since it will be difficult to prove I even have max lvls but you don't have to believe me.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Hey Josh, if you need a good fire pet, my fire has one with dodge, triple damage and proof. If you'd like to hatch, give me a day and time.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Geoffery23 on May 26, 2016 wrote:
If you've never seen fire use DOTs, you haven't really been playing the game - either PVE or PVP. After reading the answers you've been giving to a lot of the messages on this forum, I'm wondering if your highest level character is between level 2 and 5, and all you've ever done is pvp.
How does only talking about max lvl pvp make me a low lvl? I just like suggesting ideas to fix pvp more than I like talking about PVE

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
SilverbackMonkey on May 27, 2016 wrote:
Fuel with Dragon or Rain; Fire from Above with triple traps to set up a DOT hit; I question your experience with Fire.

Don't mean to be rude, but I have to agree with others here that your posts are somewhat Dubious.
I depend on dragon's first hit to kill since I won't last long enough for the dot to kill without a life mastery

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
crystalwizard12345... on May 26, 2016 wrote:
1. When you're lower level, and link is what you have, using a blade on it isn't wasting the blade.

2. When you're solo, link and power link prevent you from having to use pips and turns to cast pixie or other heals, keeping you alive while you remove the enemies

3. Fire doesn't get shatter, myth does. For fire to use shatter, it's a treasure card and a mastery amulet (unless you want to use power pips as 1 instead of 2) - and it does no damage, plus takes pips and uses turns. Meanwhile, the DOTs that fire get not only remove the shields, they do damge at the same time without taking time out to use pips and turns on some non-damaging, non-fire spell plus they don't require a mastery amulet.

4. No, I don't believe you have any max level wizards. I'll be happy to meet you on the game, and you can prove you do, but that won't change my opinion of how you got them. The answers you post don't match up with someone who has actually played the game for very long, certainly not long enough to have a max level fire. They sound much more like someone who has an older brother or sister who plays the character for them, and who posts without really knowing what he's talking about.
Hmm perhaps better wording would be that DOT's are unnecessary rather than useless... I've never had to use them but you bring up fairly good points. I apologize for calling them useless

Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
Hey Adam, I would love to hatch with you! To be honest, so many of the players I ask to hatch with for specific requirements call me a noob and say no every time. So I would be ecstatic if we could hate sometime soon, but I am gonna wait until I am a higher level. Unfotunately the talents you are talking about will be best for me later, because right now I already have a triple critical fire blaze beast. Anyways, when my wizard is ready I would be ecstatic to hatch with you!

Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
I would also like to point out to everyone, I didn't exactly make this topic for people to point out the problems with each other's tips and ideas. As it has been said earlier, everyone has their own opinions and you have no right to judge that, so let's please not do that. And I don't mean to point anyone out, but I am talking about the like 15 comments regarding Adam WinterSinger's first post. Anyways, please just keep the posts on topic, because I am actually learning a lot about the fire school and it's strategies thanks to this!

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
Mileage with any school will vary depending on playstyle and if you are more of a solo player or frequently quest with others. DOT's definitely are useful, but imo can be a nuisance to work with at times. Would I rather do all my damage in on fell swoop and get straight to that 1 hit KO, or potentially have to wait multiple rounds post attack? I have a 110 death, ice, life, balance, and storm, but my fire is only level 41 at the moment. I have never used link and probably won't ever use power link. Both spells damage and heal a minscule amount. Obviously others find those spells very useful, but they just aren't for me. Maybe in the future, but right now I'm fine and able to solo without. I think I'd honestly rather use pierce or shatter to remove shields even though those don't do damage because link and powerlink would use up all my blades and traps to do a much much lower amount of damage than I would have done with a big hit spell and would leave me to have to set up to attack again. In order for those spells to benefit me I guess I'd have to use it before I've started buffing, so basically it'd have to come up in my deck on round 1... and then I'd have to be ready to not put down any traps until it was done doing its thing... otherwise meh.

But anyway, DOT's tend to have higher overall damage for the amount of pips than if the spell was a single hit, and if you do wind up hitting into a shield it's not as bad since your whole attack wasn't reduced, and they can give you some time to heal and whatnot while damage is still occuring. You just have to find the right times to go with a DOT attack and the right times to go with a single hit.

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Iridian010 on May 28, 2016 wrote:
Mileage with any school will vary depending on playstyle and if you are more of a solo player or frequently quest with others. DOT's definitely are useful, but imo can be a nuisance to work with at times. Would I rather do all my damage in on fell swoop and get straight to that 1 hit KO, or potentially have to wait multiple rounds post attack? I have a 110 death, ice, life, balance, and storm, but my fire is only level 41 at the moment. I have never used link and probably won't ever use power link. Both spells damage and heal a minscule amount. Obviously others find those spells very useful, but they just aren't for me. Maybe in the future, but right now I'm fine and able to solo without. I think I'd honestly rather use pierce or shatter to remove shields even though those don't do damage because link and powerlink would use up all my blades and traps to do a much much lower amount of damage than I would have done with a big hit spell and would leave me to have to set up to attack again. In order for those spells to benefit me I guess I'd have to use it before I've started buffing, so basically it'd have to come up in my deck on round 1... and then I'd have to be ready to not put down any traps until it was done doing its thing... otherwise meh.

But anyway, DOT's tend to have higher overall damage for the amount of pips than if the spell was a single hit, and if you do wind up hitting into a shield it's not as bad since your whole attack wasn't reduced, and they can give you some time to heal and whatnot while damage is still occuring. You just have to find the right times to go with a DOT attack and the right times to go with a single hit.
Agreed

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
JoshStormWiz on May 28, 2016 wrote:
Hey Adam, I would love to hatch with you! To be honest, so many of the players I ask to hatch with for specific requirements call me a noob and say no every time. So I would be ecstatic if we could hate sometime soon, but I am gonna wait until I am a higher level. Unfotunately the talents you are talking about will be best for me later, because right now I already have a triple critical fire blaze beast. Anyways, when my wizard is ready I would be ecstatic to hatch with you!
Stick with triple crit then, my pet is more focused towards pvp than PVE but if you ever want to hatch, just ask me.